New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Your thoughts.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Your thoughts.

On this:

I am currently playing a level 5 Wizard/level 7 Incantatrix. Looking ahead to epic level progression, I was considering taking the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil PrC and then moving on to the Archmage. After a thorough reading of both class descriptions, I feel that the defensive orientation of the Initiate offers more than the offensive-based capabilities of the Archmage at early epic levels, while the Archmage will be perfectly suited at later epic levels. Also, being as this is my first 3e campaign after a long hiatus from AD&D 2nd, I am a bit new to wizards (former melee-centric player) and the new rules in general.

So, any useful feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks to all of you in advance!

Edit: First post.
    Last edited by Graxis; 2007-11-23 at 09:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Your thoughts.

Prepare for char death for breaking the cheeseometer. That's all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Its that bad? Oops.

Like I said, this is all pretty new.

Everything I've mentioned is allowed by the DM. The attraction of playing a pure spellcaster was from all those long-ago campaigns playing melee characters, and the new angle of being able to stack multiple PrC classes is very interesting.

Having said that, I'm not out to break the campaign. Any less-cheesy PrC combos out there that add useful abilities?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, just about any other prestige classes are eponentially less cheesy. Like tht one, where you get access to a spellpool? Very useful, but not game breaking.
    Or try one of the many involving shape changing. Cheesy, as long as you let it be. If you don't, it's all smooth sailing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The combo isn't cheesy. Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil is broken by itself, because you don't even have to try to defend yourself.

Incantrix is broken, but if you haven't been the subject of the banhammer yet, just keep playing the same way.

On that note, just don't completely destroy the encounters, and should be able to stay under the radar.

If this is your first time playing a 3.5 wizard, this is a guide of what (or what not) to do: TLN's guide to being batman.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-11-23 at 09:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quite seriously, that combo is more broken than Fear the Boot's Josh's character. I think, and I'm not sure, that the only thing cheesier than that is an Eberron Planar Shepherd using a planar bubble of Dal Quor.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Sounds good, but I need some references: where to find the PrCs, splat books, etc. My access to books is NI (between my recent buying spree and the DM, I think there's very little we don't have).

Thanks again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    The combo isn't cheesy. Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil is broken by itself, because you don't even have to try to defend yourself.

Incantrix is broken, but if you haven't been the subject of the banhammer yet, just keep playing the same way.

On that note, just don't completely destroy the encounters, and should be able to stay under the radar.

If this is your first time playing a 3.5 wizard, this is a guide of what (or what not) to do: TLN's guide to being batman.
    HUGE thanks for the link above. Very informative!

Edit: Destroying encounters is certainly not what I'm about. The campaign is extremely fun, and I'd hate to ruin it for the other players (who, including the DM, are all very close friends).

The party:

13 Duskblade
    13 Sorcerer
    12 Beguiler/Shadowcraft Mage
    12 Cleric
    12 Wizard/Incatatrix (that would be me)

This is actually my third character for this campaign. 1st was a Barbarian, killed off in collaboration with the DM; a Druid, killed off on accident by a bad draw from the Deck of Many Things and a really close fight; and finally, my wizard. The druid was excellent, but the wizard really takes the cake.

Again, great feedback!
    Last edited by Graxis; 2007-11-23 at 09:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

With everyone in your party possessing caster progression, your power shouldn't outshine theirs like an earthbound sun--just a moderately sized bonfire, I think. It helps that the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil can exercise its power in a way that makes other party members feel helpful (bull rush!).
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-11-23 at 10:31 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.