New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default G.I. Joe - Renegade Game Studios

My stumbling across the internet let me bump into an upcoming RPG for G.I. Joe from Renegade Game Studios. As an avid child of the 80's this intrigued me greatly.

Does anything know much about the system they are using? It looks like a d20, but I am not 100% sure. If so, I have not found a D20 system that does "modern" well so that bodes ill to me. However, I am not 100% sure.

Is someone at all familiar with the system and/or could send me to some places to learn more?

https://renegadegamestudios.com/g-i-...core-rulebook/
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: G.I. Joe - Renegade Game Studios

It doesn't look like a D20 game per se. And if I had to guess it is probably cross compatible with their Transformers game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I just finished playing a game of their Mighty Morphin Power Rangers which is based off the same system and I gotta be honest and say that the game feels incomplete and poorly playtested. There are references to things that appear nowhere in the book there are asterisk that lead nowhere. It is level based with no guidelines given on how or when to level up your character. Enemies have a "threat level" but there is no reference to what that means or how it is determined, and no instructions on how to make your own threat.

The book is what it is and leaves you to homebrew the rest with no instruction. When I asked about several things like "Why does this class have a resource it can't spend for 6 levels"? their response was "We will put out a book in the future that will give you uses for that resource, this makes that class the most versatile as he doesn't have a class feature that relies on that"

I don't know if they put more care into G.I. Joe or not, but that philosophy tells me that they just did not seem to care.

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Level based....... not how I would approach it, but there you go.

That is why I asked before shelling out the cash.
    *This Space Available*

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

You know what astonished me? Hasbro owns GI Joe and Transformers. Hasbro owns a company that makes role playing games. Hasbro licensed the Transformers and GI Joe RPGs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

They also licenced out the My Little Pony game.

But honestly, I would use SpyCraft if I wanted a d20 GI Joe game, they had the Stargate licence back in the 1e days, although it didn't get a 2e version. Which is actually built around spies and special operation groups.
    Or maybe the new Stargate game, which I backed, but still haven't read. The downside of Kickatarting games, you back them when you want to play them, and then life happens.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    You know what astonished me? Hasbro owns GI Joe and Transformers. Hasbro owns a company that makes role playing games. Hasbro licensed the Transformers and GI Joe RPGs.
    They make more from the license, and then if it makes the licensee a bunch of money they can just steal it back in house.

However, they do not have faith these IPs are strong enough to make them more money than the license will. This is a good way to test the hypothesis.
    *This Space Available*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    They make more from the license, and then if it makes the licensee a bunch of money they can just steal it back in house.

However, they do not have faith these IPs are strong enough to make them more money than the license will. This is a good way to test the hypothesis.
    Also, the TTRPG market is tiny. Even in the limited space of the physical game market -itself dwarfed by the PC, Console, and Mobile game markets - it's way card games and traditional board games. Additionally, the profit margin on the principle product type, gaming books, is quite low, especially in the Amazon era. Even beyond that, D&D holds, at least in the US, an overwhelming market share. Secondary and tertiary games simply aren't worth bothering with and rarely make enough money to even register (any game using kickstarter to function is not generating any significant profit).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I suspect they're banking on a lot of nerds like myself who will pick this up and never do anything with it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    They also licenced out the My Little Pony game.

But honestly, I would use SpyCraft if I wanted a d20 GI Joe game, they had the Stargate licence back in the 1e days, although it didn't get a 2e version. Which is actually built around spies and special operation groups.
    Or maybe the new Stargate game, which I backed, but still haven't read. The downside of Kickatarting games, you back them when you want to play them, and then life happens.
    Just want to pop in and say that crafty games did make a GI Joe game for spycraft. It's called real American heroes.. I think. They also have a transformers, gargoyles, and ghostbusters game add on as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

yeah, I have that supplement for Spycraft. It's quite good and I always enjoyed the Spycraft system.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.