New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default New Dragonlance Novel by Margaret Weis

https://twitter.com/WeisMargaret/sta...74774824353793

The official release date: August 2, 2022.

I can't wait!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Dragonlance Novel by Margaret Weis

Heck yea, for some reason I thought we weren’t getting a release till 2023z
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I have been checking Margaret Weis' Twitter for months now following this, and excitement remains high. In a couple interviews she's given, it appears that the book is set post War if the Twins, and involves Tas to a large degree. I'm very relieved by this, as I was somewhat worried, based on the Classic Dragonlance branding, that this was going to go try to cram more stuff into the Chronicles period. Turns out Classic DL is just Wizards firewalling the, well, classic stuff off from whatever they're doing in the long-rumored DL 5th edition content.

Also I'm very happy that they went with a nice painting of people in a landscape for the cover. Obviously I'd have preferred if they'd gotten Elmore or Stawicki to do it, based on their history with DL, but the new artist did a great job. Definitely looks like a Dragonlance novel should look.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    and involves Tas to a large degree.
    Looks like I'll be giving this a hard pass.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Looks like I'll be giving this a hard pass.
    It's no Dragonlance without Tas. He was there for every important event.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    It's no Dragonlance without Tas. He was there for every important event.
    Yea knowing he will be back in the story has me much more excited really.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

MonkGuy

Wow! It's cool!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea knowing he will be back in the story has me much more excited really.
    I've listened to a couple interviews Margaret has given in the last couple months, and from the minimal things she's said about the plot,, I'm pretty stoked. I've always liked Tas, and the immediate post-Legends timeline seems like a good spot for a fun kenderventure. Something with some stakes, but (probably) no returning evil deities kinda thing.

Still a pity they aren't advancing the timeline from the end of the Dark Disciple trilogy, but any new primary author DL is good DL. Maybe we'll get lucky and see that someday.

Honestly it's just weird to be excited about a new book coming out. I find most new fantasy so uninteresting I hardly read anything published after like 2008.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Destina Rosethorn—as her name implies—believes herself to be a favored child of destiny. But when her father dies in the War of the Lance, she watches her carefully constructed world come crashing down. Not only does she lose her beloved father but the legacy he has left her: the family lands and castle. To save her father, she hatches a bold plan—to go back in time and prevent his death.

First, she has to secure the Device of Time Journeying, last known to be in the possession of the spirited kender Tasslehoff Burrfoot. But to change time, she needs another magical artifact—the most powerful and dangerous artifact ever created. Destina’s quest takes her from the dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin to the town of Solace and beyond, setting in motion a chain of disastrous events that threaten to divert the course of the River of Time, alter the past, and forever change the future.

An alternate timeline to Age of Mortals?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Possibly. You'll note on that cover art that the book is labeled 'Classic Dragonlance.' This is because WotC intends to have two separate universes, the gaming one and the novel one. I'm guessing the time travel shenanigans that are undoubtedly going to occur are meant to explain the timeline split.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

But humans can't change the time-line...
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Correct, but note that there are a kender (Tasslehoff, presumably) and a dwarf on the cover, and both are Greygem races and therefore are capable of changing time. Second, the description that Precure posts mentions a 'powerful artifact' that may be able to allow humans to change time, as well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Correct, but note that there are a kender (Tasslehoff, presumably) and a dwarf on the cover, and both are Greygem races and therefore are capable of changing time. Second, the description that Precure posts mentions a 'powerful artifact' that may be able to allow humans to change time, as well.
    Fair point about the Graygem races, but I find the idea of Raistlin having missed an artifact that would have allowed him to change time a little funny. 😆

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Fair point about the Graygem races, but I find the idea of Raistlin having missed an artifact that would have allowed him to change time a little funny. 😆
    As I recall, Raist didnt want to change time. He needed events to play out in a specific, predictable way when he did it so that he didn't, among other things, get killed by the cataclysm.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As I recall, Raist didnt want to change time. He needed events to play out in a specific, predictable way when he did it so that he didn't, among other things, get killed by the cataclysm.
    He intended for most of what happened to be the same but planned on changing the ultimate ending quite significantly from what I recall.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    He intended for most of what happened to be the same but planned on changing the ultimate ending quite significantly from what I recall.
    Only once he got back to the abyss in the present time.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't read Legends in a while, but as I recall the sequence was something like this.

Fistandantilus tries to open the portal to the Abyss and fails, because at that exact moment Gnosh the gnome, cursed to only invent things that work, activates the Device of Time Journeying. Fistandantilus is mostly obliterated, but hangs around in spirit form until he can glom onto Raistlin during his Test.

Raistlin, who partially is Fistandantilus, goes back to before the Cataclysm, and destroys Fistandantilus in the past, essentially becoming him. He sets Tass up to be killed in the Cataclysm, but Takhisis yoinks the Kingpriest's temple into the Abyss, which saves Tass. Tass ad Gnosh escape the Abyss, and Raistlin kills Gnosh to prevent him from messing up his own journey into the Abyss. This is the part of time that Raistlin needed to change. But Tass activates the Device, which still disrupts Raistlin's spell, so Raistlin failed to meaningfully change time.

Here things get weird, because humans cannot change time, but Raistlin succeeds in casting his spell, which is flat out impossible. IIRC the novel very much supports a reading where Raistlin doesn't even expect to succeed for most of the story, he keeps having dreams about footsteps in the sand leading to his execution, but he continues on anyway. You can read this as him just being that ambitious and in denial, or that because he is (or is acting in the role of) Fistandantilus, he can't not proceed. One of the tenants of time travel in Dragonlance seems to be that details change but the non-Greygem races can't alter the big picture, even with foreknowledge. Lord Soth considers going back to undo his many mistakes and prevent the Cataclysm, but decides there's no point because put in the same position he would do the same thing.

So humans can't change time. Except that one time where Raistlin does exactly that. But Raistlin is very much a special case, given his odd relationship with things like dying.