New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Cold World [OOC Thread]

If it's looking like day 5 is going to be extra cold, Verglas will shift her memorized spells to incorporate 1 casting of Endure Elements (saving 1 charge from Njal's wand).

Saintheart, a few questions about the current situation:

• Is there still snow on the ground?
    • Do we have any options regarding cover or concealment?
    • How far away from the frostfolk are we?
    • You say that they're crucifying the fifth frostfolk slowly. Does that mean that they're currently in the process of strapping/tying him/her to the tree, or that they've already strapped him/her to the tree and are watching him/her slowly die?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-04-09 at 03:26 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    If it's looking like day 5 is going to be extra cold, Verglas will shift her memorized spells to incorporate 1 casting of Endure Elements (saving 1 charge from Njal's wand).

Saintheart, a few questions about the current situation:

• Is there still snow on the ground?
    • Do we have any options regarding cover or concealment?
    • How far away from the frostfolk are we?
    • You say that they're crucifying the fifth frostfolk slowly. Does that mean that they're currently in the process of strapping/tying him/her to the tree, or that they've already strapped him/her to the tree and are watching him/her slowly die?
    - There is still snow on the ground, yes. It's thick enough that charging and Run actions are not possible anywhere relevant. That limitation will likely not be something affecting the Folken, though, given your previous encounters with them revealed they could move very easily across snow-covered ground.

- You're in an elevated position above the dell where the dreadful activity is occurring, essentially on a 60 degree incline overlooking the dell. This offers a decent amount of cover and concealment in itself, and the ground in the dell itself also has a substantial amount of debris by way of boulders, fallen trees and rocks that works both for and against you: it provides cover for the Folken if and when a fight breaks out, but if your group can get closer it'll also provide some cover there too.

- You're about 20 feet vertically above the Folken's position and about 100 to 150 feet horizontally. The ridge you've lucked onto forms a sort of crescent around the dell, and the two arms of the crescent drop to meet the level of the dell.

- The fifth of the Folken has been lashed to the tree, and the Folken are now driving long nails into his limbs. And taking their time with each.

Taking up Ramiro's IC thoughts - given the relative lack of cover around, moving closer by stealth to the Folken is going to raise the Complication Pool by 1 and involves at least some risk of detection; even distracted, the Frost Folk are canny opponents and dangerous, aware of their surroundings and well at home in the wild, particularly given they have a winter wolf with them. That risk will rise the more of you try to get closer at once.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn’t had a chance to update the 2nd level spells following plywood day. Am I ok to have to have done that? As he wouldn’t have been making planks for 5 days

Is a know (nature) appropriate to understand if it’s a ritual to them? (1d20+5)[16]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    I hadn’t had a chance to update the 2nd level spells following plywood day. Am I ok to have to have done that? As he wouldn’t have been making planks for 5 days
    I have assumed that Njal had memorised "one of each" of the spells on your CS at 2nd level, i.e. 1 memorisation each of Flaming Sphere, Kelpstrand, and Nature's Favour. The other spells I take are as indicated on the CS.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Is a know (nature) appropriate to understand if it’s a ritual to them? [roll0]
    No; these guys aren't animals and are not natural forces. What you can see happening as described is about as much as Njal understands about what they're doing.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

The enlarge person is counter productive for Ramiro since he is dex based and his unarmed strike damage does not increase enough to compensate at this level. But haste is too good to ignore.

If/When he learns of the new capability, he will definitely stay, and hide behind some of the rocks to ambush the first to try and approach.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2022-04-10 at 11:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I did my best to make Tonlist a basic buffer bard - a few utility spells, but basically "do one or two things and then inspire courage until something threatens your life", to make running her easier for Saintheart. But because she's our backup healer, it's useful to have her at least slightly close to Ramiro, who along with gromnir is (thank you) our default front-liner at this point.

DrK, is Enlarge Person of any interest to Njal? If not, I'll stop memorizing it.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

@Toliudar

Thanks for the offer but as he is often mounted enlarge person isn’t the most useful for him

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

All right, so we're looking at casting Haste on Ramiro before he leaves, following which he scoots down to the level of the dell and tries to remain unseen on the way.

As for Tonlist inspiring courage, that depends on being able to hear her sing (or recite in this case). Inspire Courage lasts for so long as she can be heard and then five rounds after.

Tonlist continuing to inspire Ramiro after he's left and on his way down would take her standing up and half-shouting at the top of her voice, i.e. warning the Folken that she (if not the rest of the party) is up on the rise. Albeit she could inspire him here and hope he comes to blows within 5 rounds of the enemy, i.e. 30 seconds or so.

Also, Haste only lasts 1 round/level, too, so given the distance involved -- 100 to 150 feet horizontally or so -- it looks like it's a choice between buffing Ramiro before he leaves and then going all CHAERG~ on the enemy ... or Ramiro tries to close in stealthily. I would be very, very surprised if Ramiro would get into strike range unseen while running full speed to reach the Folken before his Haste runs out.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

No worries, DrK!

Sorry, I was unclear, Saintheart.

I'm hoping to cast Haste on the whole group and then hope that it helps ALL of us with whatever we choose to do next.

Tonlist is low priority because my assumption is that she hangs back and sings, but the rest of us may be able to CHEEARGE more effectively (if desired) or at the very least shoot more accurately as we let them run up the hill toward us.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-04-11 at 12:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    All right, so we're looking at casting Haste on Ramiro before he leaves, following which he scoots down to the level of the dell and tries to remain unseen on the way.

As for Tonlist inspiring courage, that depends on being able to hear her sing (or recite in this case). Inspire Courage lasts for so long as she can be heard and then five rounds after.

Tonlist continuing to inspire Ramiro after he's left and on his way down would take her standing up and half-shouting at the top of her voice, i.e. warning the Folken that she (if not the rest of the party) is up on the rise. Albeit she could inspire him here and hope he comes to blows within 5 rounds of the enemy, i.e. 30 seconds or so.

Also, Haste only lasts 1 round/level, too, so given the distance involved -- 100 to 150 feet horizontally or so -- it looks like it's a choice between buffing Ramiro before he leaves and then going all CHAERG~ on the enemy ... or Ramiro tries to close in stealthily. I would be very, very surprised if Ramiro would get into strike range unseen while running full speed to reach the Folken before his Haste runs out.
    A bit of misunderstanding here, instead of leaving Ramiro is sticking up here, but hiding behind a rock. If the frost folk come this way hes gonna ambush them.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Since so much is going to depend on what, if anything, Njal's action reveals, is there any chance that we could just have him go first and resolve the results of his actions before the rest of us post?

12. - Top - End - #42

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry had a few days getting hammered by work so catching up now. Yup, I'm happy for onto the manor

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sorry to hold things up. I'm good to move on.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hey guys, this post coming to you live from a hospital bed. I have urgent surgery scheduled for tomorrow, nothing serious but had to be done - will be back maybe Sunday. Sorry. :(

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys, this post coming to you live from a hospital bed. I have urgent surgery scheduled for tomorrow, nothing serious but had to be done - will be back maybe Sunday. Sorry. :(
    Oh dear. Unlucky. Hope all goes well and you get better soon

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

All the best with the surgery, Saintheart, and wishing you a full recovery.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Hope you are recovering nicely.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay guys, I take it you're heading straight up to the house then, no side trips to other spots?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Okay guys, I take it you're heading straight up to the house then, no side trips to other spots?
    Unless the others object that would Njal's plan

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hey, we posted same time. I went ahead and moved you guys on. I'm assuming everyone including Tonlist and Dog came along unless anyone had objections.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sounds good to me!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I need reminding, what are we looking for at the manor, generic elvish stuff that might help our favorite sorcerer with her powers?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Novabomb View Post
    I need reminding, what are we looking for at the manor, generic elvish stuff that might help our favorite sorcerer with her powers?
    Yes. Kirillin Manor has a link to the portal you all found in the mountains because it appears the manor was occupied, or run, by the same elves who used that portal. The name above the manor's gate is Kith'in'sherillinar, which indicates the name of the clan/family/group who occupied Kirillin Manor. That name was the same given by the Yuki-on-na that was the guardian of the portal, that the people who were brought to and left by the portal were always in the company of an elf from "the Kith'in'sherillinar Circle". i.e. whoever was master of that portal was likely a member of the Kith'in'sherillinar clan. That, possibly, is where the name Kirillin Manor comes from - Kirillin might be a corruption of the elven name Kith'in'sherillinar.

And of course you're also looking for whatever else can be found.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Not to mention Glory and Adventure!

But mostly magical doodads.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

What's it going to be, folks? Chapel, Grand Reception Area, or room with whispering voices?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dealing with the latter seems like the top priority to me. I'll go post accordingly.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I would agree that any room that is talking seems to be a higher priority

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The search ticks over the Complication Pool to 6 of 6, soooo ...

Spoiler
    Show

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[5]

EDIT: Oh dear.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to be clear, is this magical darkness, or do we lack illumination?