New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Herald of the Ivory Labyrinth IC

Herald of the Ivory Labyrinth

Baphomet, the Lord of the Minotaurs, the Horned Lord, the Master of the Ivory Labyrinth, first came to the Worldwound in 4650 ar, 44 years after the blight opened in lost Sarkoris. Deskari enlisted Baphomet not for his mastery over labyrinths or association with minotaurs, but because the Lord of the Locust Host wanted to use the Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth as a tool to further the corruption and destruction of the Mendevian Crusade from within. An alliance with Baphomet was, to Deskari, an unfortunate necessity, but in the long run it has exceeded the demon lord’s expectations. The Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth have fully infiltrated the crusade, and it was only recently, with the actions of the heroes of Kenabres, that the Templars’ influence has begun to falter.

Baphomet knew Deskari wanted his cult and not his direct influence, of course, but he was nothing if not a master of Abyssal politics. He increasingly put his cult, his children, and even himself to work at supporting the Worldwound agenda, intending to reach a point where he could wrest control of the region from Deskari and use it to draw much of Golarion into his Abyssal realm in the same way he stole an endless maze from Cania, the eighth layer of Hell, after escaping imprisonment at the hands of Asmodeus so long ago.

Yet the actions of the heroes of Kenabres have stymied his plans. They’ve slaughtered his greatest agents, disrupted Templar command, destroyed the flow of Nahyndrian crystals, and perhaps most insulting of all, defeated his favorite daughter. It was this final affront that moved Baphomet to act, and in a hasty and ill-conceived fit of rage he used his daughter’s soul as a conduit to invade the Midnight Isles, fully intending to slaughter the PCs himself. Yet he forgot one important thing: the Midnight Isles are ruled by a demon lord who specializes in the assassination of her own kind. As Baphomet materialized in the Midnight Isles, Nocticula made her move. Nocticula struck at the Lord of the Minotaurs, in the instant after he physically manifested. Baphomet realized his fatal error too late and tried to flee, but Nocticula’s wrath followed him through the barrier between planes and struck him, for the briefest of moments, dead.

Before Baphomet was struck down he told the heroes that he had captured the Herald of Iomadae. Once they returned to the Worldwound they learned that Baphomet wasn’t lying. the Herald of Iomadae was captured during an attack on the city of Raliscrad. The heroes gather back in Drezen to figure out their next move. While trying to figure out their next steps they are blinded by a bright light and find themselves in the presence of Iomadae herself. She asks them to free her Herald from Baphomet by whatever means necessary.

Now the heroes are on their way into Baphomet’s realm. Back to the Abyss.

You had been in Drezen, staying as honoured guests of Queen Galifrey and placed in the finest suites in the keep. The night before had been a banquet to welcome Queen Galifrey back to the keep and a banquet in her honour where you had been feted as heroes of the realm for your various heroic efforts in the 5th Crusade. As you have awoken the first indication that something unusual is about to happen is the sudden increase of ambient light around you and the sounds of choral chords. This brightening increases swiftly to the intensity of the noonday sun, and then beyond. Yet this brightness does not cause pain or discomfort. Instead, it fills each of you with a feeling of pride and hope. Just as the light grows to what would normally be blinding level, the you shudder and suddenly find yourselves in what appears to be a vast cathedral. Looking around you realise you have been transported into Iomedae's realm in Heaven.

The cathedral in which the you find themselves is truly enormous. The ceiling rises out of sight above, and the walls bear stained-glass windows that move and change to depict the famed acts of Iomedae. Soft light fills the vast space, and choirs of angels and archons sing from unseen reaches of the cathedral. The glowing light beams through the massive stained glass windows depicting her acts of heroism and you look around garbed suddenly in your adventuring gear as your recognise other brave heroes standing near you...

OOC Thread
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-03-17 at 06:00 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Herald of the Ivory Labyrinth IC

Salem sent his hand to the grip of his pistol, raw instinct overriding even the goodliness of the surroundings—if only for a moment. He realized too that he was back in his "traveling" kit; the familiar weight of his slung musket was a greater comfort than the celestial choir in his ears.

He relaxed a little, but still checked his surroundings with practiced vigilance. His comrades were also present and also back in their gear.

"So this is Heaven, eh?" He fidgeted with his bandolier, despite maintaining a casual tone. "Guess we did something right."

Led by the devil to paradise... he didn't add out loud, as he suddenly recalled a lyric from some ballad he'd once heard. If this really was Heaven, it was truly ironic that the path that led him here was one he'd first followed in pursuit of filthy lucre—the sellsword's wage—and had later tumbled along in grief, rage, and petty spite.

This chamber, Salem realized, was certainly one that inspired self-reflection—for a man like him, at any rate.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2022-03-18 at 12:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Eincar stretches as he awakes, but suddenly frowns, this was odd he thought, realizing it as much earlier than usual.

Then the light enveloped him, and whisked him away.

Upon realization of where he was, ignoring Salem's snarky comment, he immediately falls to his knee in supplication and prayer, a humble, small prayer of thanks and servitude towards his patron deity. If this was indeed her realm, there was a chance that he may.....meat her.

The thought shook him, and he had to control himself, wit nought but will power, he bent his body to his will, and stood up, looking around for anyone welcoming them or....why they where here

Spoiler
    Show

Eincar
    HP's: 242/242
    AC: 32
    T: 11 FF: 31
    CMD: 27 FCMD: 26
    Init: +1
    F: +17 R: +8 W: +19
    Effects: none
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The planeswalker is likely the least disoriented among the group. Normally he's traveling under his own power these days, but the experience was still familiar, audible oddities notwithstanding. He adjust his clothing a little, a long robe of dark blues with spots of silver showcasing many of his favorite stellar constellations.

Lucent looks around and smiles, "It has been quite some time since I've been to Proelera, but it is as majestic as ever. The last time I was just visiting, but it seems today we've been invited. Oh, I should mention in fair warning, especially for those among us with a... variable respect for the rules, the locals do take such things rather seriously here, it is a part of their nature to impose order as much as it is to protect and care for each other. It would not do to get into trouble in this place."

He stretches his arms wide, "This part of Heaven is where the warriors among the angelic hosts gather, train, and march forth to do battle. If we were called here of all places, then I suspect there is a grand task for us. My mistress has fought alongside Iomedae from time to time in spite of their differences, it would be an honor to do something similar."

Spoiler: Chosen Image
    Show
    Last edited by Daishain; 2022-03-18 at 03:48 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thrax

Thrax is taken aback by the sudden change in location.

"Its more likely something has gone wrong rather then we have done something right. Quite frankly they must be desperate or need some disposable heroes.... Probably Eincar's fault somehow. Perhaps talking up our adventures to his god again. " Thrax says dryly.

Thrax takes a knee out of respect but doesn't bow his head. He was looking forward to helping and possibly slaying some demons.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2022-03-18 at 05:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lucent considers Thrax's words, "I would suggest there is a third possibility, one I would assume before either desperation or indifference. There are a good number of places the angelic hosts simply cannot go without triggering severe consequences, such as an all out war between the planes or the violation of various treaties Heaven has with others. A mission to such places would require proxies, but not necessarily disposable ones."

"It may not even necessarily be a mission of conflict, for instance a search for something lost in the admittedly difficult to navigate home of my own mistress, Elysium, might present a significant problem, as would gaining the permission from its denizens for emissaries of heaven to flood the place."
    He frowns a little, "Though I must admit there are likely better ways to handle things than our group if that was the case."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thrax

Thrax seems to mull it over and nods his head. "You are probably right - though I would still like to blame Eincar."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

As you look around the cathedral the light seems to brighten until it becomes almost dazzling and the choiral sounds rise to a new crescendo that echoes in the hall, as its fades and the lights dim you look to the head of the cathedral and a slight woman in dark plain steel plate with a blood red cloak who has appeared. behind her shadowy celestial stand near carrying censures and gongs and other holy sacrements. Despite the appearance you can all feel the sudden crushing pressure on your souls as a veritable deity has appeared in your midst!

Iomedae herself takes on a somewhat humble form, standing no taller than she did in her mortal life, yet none who look upon her can mistake her for anything other than a goddess. Her cloak is blood red, indicating her mind is on the battles to come, but her sword is sheathed and her shield is lowered. As she appears, she nods to you, each individual perceiving her focus as being on them, then speaks, the words echoing in your minds booming loud and dominating all other thoughts as the deific thunder hits you.

"WELCOM HEROES. YOU ARE THOSE THAT HAVE SHOWN THEMSELVES TO BE MOST WORTHY TO CARRY THE FLAME OF MY NAME TO THE ANCIENT ENEMY. YOUR TALES AND TRIALS SING IN THE SONGS OF MY ANGELS AND THE HOST GLORIES IN YOUR VICTORIES."

She pauses to allow the pressure of her voice to fade somewhat before going on. Each of you still feeling the laser like focus of her. "ONE OF MY ANCIENT FOES, BAPHOMET THE LORD OF BEASTS HAS CAUSED A GRAVE INSULT. MY HERALD, MY BELOVED HAND HAS BEEN TAKEN AND IS HELD IN THE TAINTED IVORY LABYRINTH. MY EFFORTS TO EFFECT THE CRUSADE WILL BE WEAKENED WHILE MY HERALD IS LOST TO ME. I WOULD THEN SET YOU A QUEST TO BRING MY HERALD BACK SHOULD YOU PROVE WORTHY"

At the last she pauses, eyes that seem like the opening into an ancient celestial void that leaves you spinning with vertigo fix upon each of you in turn

"ANSWER MY QUESTIONS TRUTHFULLY AND BE FOUND WORTHY OF THE TASK I WOULD SET BEFORE YOU. REMAIN SILENT OR SEEK FALSETY IN YOUR ASNWERS AND BE FORSWORN AS COWARDS IN THE FACE OF EVIL!"

Please give responses as your PCs gaze upon the contenance of a true deity of Golarion. You can respond as you see fit but beware that gods do not tolerate fools gladly...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lucent goes to a knee and bows his head as Iomedai appears. Used to walking the outer realms as he was, a close encounter with a true deity was very rare even for him, and even then this was the first time their attention had been on him. He had been expecting to be meeting with an archon rather than the mistress of righteous valor herself. The normally gregarious mage finds himself stunned to silence in her glory.

Lifting his head after learning of the mission, his mind is considering the implications here, the lord of beasts had Iomedae's herald? What terrible series of events had led to that outcome? He wants to ask questions of his own but finds himself unable to, instead kneeling there and awaiting the questions she apparently had for him.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The realm of Heaven is a promise renewed, and it finds the figure of Loqtar Stormblessed in awe. Never has the half-orc seen such radiance, transported from the mud and blood of Golarion to stand in the presence of the radiant immanence. The stained glass windows and invisible choirs sing of deeds done, which has the skald attempting to hum along to the refrain. The melody is strange, he muses, not because of its glorious pitch but rather due to its capricious nature. Every time he is certain he understands the bones of the song, it changes. But Loqtar can't find it in himself to be frustrated at the ineffability of the upper spheres.

Perhaps one day his own deeds will be sung of thusly. The thought brings a smile to his face, revealing his lower tusks. He does not offer his own words to Lucent's commentary; he's known the summoner long enough to trust his expertise in these matters. Loqtar's eyes flick towards Thrax, and then Eincar. "It would be impolitic to imply that the vindicator - surely the most humble among us - would mischaracterize our strength or piety to a god. Every sword needs a sheath, a weapon fit to purpose."

Then the radiance intensifies, and their host descends into the group's midst. Loqtar looks as long as he dares into the pearlescent features of the Lady of Valor before his gaze falls to the floor. It takes a tremendous will to keep himself upright, nearly having lost himself in those twin starry voids. Head bowed, the skald takes a single knee at last before Iomedae.

"Inheritor..." Loqtar begins, ready to answer the goddess' questions, but stops as his brain catches up to the new information. Her herald? The Hand of Iomedae? For a moment, he sees a plain dirt road, the beating of wings, an outstretched hand. The half-orc's fist clenches at his sides. A weapon fit to purpose, indeed.

"I would charge into the Abyss for your herald, as well you know. We are but sword and spell, members of a Crusade undertaken in your name. I hope our devotion is not in doubt at this moment. Please, ask your questions that we may make our preparations."
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem stood awestruck and was unable to speak for a long moment, let alone dwell on the myriad implications of what they'd just been told. He did retain enough of his wits to follow the others' lead and take a knee, and he averted his gaze out of deference as much as out of animal instinct. But when Iomedae had spoken and his reply was demanded, he took a breath and steeled himself to look a goddess in the eye.

"Aye, I'll help rescue your Herald. On my oath. And I'll answer your questions true," was all he could manage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As the various heroes assembled drop to their knees in awe and wonder the goddess suveys you all before her voice booms out again like a physical presence crushing down upon you. "YOU ARE BOLD TO LOOK UPON ME, AND I FAVOUR BOLDNESS. WHEN FACING THE HORDES OF THE ABYSS ONE MUST BE BOLD AS WELL, AS I WAS WHEN I FACED ONE OF MY MOST DANGEROUS ENEMIES.
    TELL ME NOW WHICH OF THE UNLIVING LORDS DID I SLAY WHEN LEADING MY KNIGHTS OF OZEM INTO THE THREE SORROWS. WHY DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE WORTHY TO CARRY THAT LEGACY OF KNIGHHOOD INTO THE ABYSS"

Spoiler: Know(Religion) DC25 (history) 35
    Show

This question refers to events that unfolded during the Shining Crusade, when Iomedae defeated Erum-Hel, the Lord of Mohrgs, at the Battle of Three Sorrows. The defeat of the mythical mohrg overlord proved to be a turning point in the Shining Crusade, and is recalled today by the faithful as the Fifth Act of lomedae.

Iomedae wants to know that the PCs understand the history of her ongoing war against evil in all its forms. The second part of her question is deliberately open ended and designed both to make a devotee of law and good squirm and to give them room to brag of their good deeds. Iomedae is looking for both self-confidence and humility in this answer, and as long as one player roleplays
    an answer in this manner, she is pleased.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lucent smiles, "You speak of the great Shining Crusade against Ustalav, before your deeds earned your place as a deity yourself. In the 3,823rd year in the Age of Enthronement, the fifth of your eleven miracles performed in the name of your predecessor Aroden was to defeat the terrible Lord of Mohrgs, Erum-Hel."

"But I am no knight my lady, and would not declare myself to be as such. My armaments are those of the mind rather than swords and valor."

"That said, at the behest of Pulura, I have trained to fight demons in my own way, and with my brave companions here, we have achieved much in the way of victory against evil, and I firmly believe we will continue to do so regardless of the challenge. We do not shrink from wickedness, we stand against it."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The goddess pauses, slowly lowering her head in contemplation before nodding sagely and reaching down to her shield. As her hand passes in front of the chalice emblazoned upon it the image shimmers and moves into her hand as silvery chalice with her symbol emblazoned upon it. She reaches out towards Lucent and hands the chalice towards the wizard,

"I FIND YOUR ANSWER WISE. YOUR KNOWLEDGE SATISFIES ME. TAKE THEN THIS CUP TO HOLD THE BLOOD OF THE FABLED AND DIABOLIC FATHER OF WORMS FOR IOT IS SAID THAT ITS FLUIDS ARE AS ANETHMA TO ANY LOCK AND MAY OFFER A KEY TO ONE OF THE KEYS OF BAPHOMET'S PRISONS."

The cup has a heft and weight to in Lucent's hand as he examines it and realises that this is none other than the fabled Chalice of Ozem. This chalice is perhaps the last surviving artifact from Sacred Ozem, now forever lost in a tragic battle that ultimately led to the foundation of the Knights of Ozem. Made of shimmering mithral and studded with dozens of rubies, the Chaliice of
    Ozem was carried from the ruins and handed down through generations until it was finally given to lomedae, who used it in her fight against Erum-Hel during the Battle of Three Sorrows.

Spoiler: Chalice of Ozem
    Show

The chalice cannot be harmed by any substance it holds, no matter how caustic. Further, any liquid placed within the chalice will never spill unless the chalice's carrier wills it. If the chalice is held and the command phrase spoken ("Ozem for lomedae!"), it projects a globe of invulnerability. If a second command phrase is spoken ("Her sheltering shield!") and a scooping motion is made with the chalice, a resilient sphere is created around the carrier. Each of these effects can be called upon twice per day. Once per day, a mythic character can expend one use of mythic power while pouring a dose of holy water into the chalice to immediately transform that dose of holy water into a single dose of nectar of the gods

As you marvel at the majesty of the gift she has bestowed upon you the Goddess walks amongst you, her armour shod no feet making no noise and the armour silent as she walks on the marbled floor, a cloud of incense surrounding her from the wafting censors born by her celestial attendants. She pauses staring at each of each you in turn before speaking once more. "HONOUR IS MY SOUL AND LIFE, JUSTICE IS THE PASSION THAT STIRS ME TO WAR AND YET THE CAUSE OF THE TRUE AND THE RIGHTEOUS IS BESET ON ALL SIDES BY EVIL. TELL ME, HOW DOES ONE OUTWIT AND DEFEAT AND DEMON LORD IN HIS OWN DOMAIN? FOR NOT LET US BE FOOLISH AND THINK IS NOT THE TASK THAT LIES BEFORE YOU..."

She pauses waiting for one or more of the party to answer

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC30
    Show

She is looking for answer that shows confidence, bravery and dedication. Even something as simple, "Faith will guide us and better to die on the path of righteous than simper under the yoke of evil""

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Loqtar pauses at Iomedae's words, knowing them to be a test of resolve. The skald has heard many a tale with similar auspices, and knows well the response that the goddess hopes for.

"My lady, we walk under the grace of your light. Although we do not all pray at your altar, I place my trust in the bravery and spirit of my companions. The path will surely be fraught with danger, but our shared faith - in you, in the righteous cause, and most importantly in ourselves - will see us weather the worst of Baphomet's storm."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2022-03-20 at 12:57 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Eincar was about to retort to barbs, he knew it to be friendly jesting, but he couldn't get over how....inappropriate it all was, here they were summoned to the literal heavens of his deity, whom he has served diligently, and with love, and he may get the chance to meet her. The thought boggled his mind, he was still kneeling when SHE graced their mortal souls with her divine perfection.

He had no idea what to do , he wanted to look upon her visage, but the books and manuals had nothing about this, nothing, and he had learnt them by wrote, he didn't even know of anyone in the church who had been in such event....it was just....not within protocol.

Thoughts and emotions swirled together like herbs in a mortar, and the pestle was his deity.

What should he do? Look at here? no, that would be foolish

And then one of his companions looked, Dammit, now if i look, it'll seem as if I was following cue, and weak, and unworthy. ah but still, it would be bold even so, and he had to, he could be in her presence and not look!

Her question took him a second, but only that, and he knew exactly the answer as Lucent answered.

He was marveling at the chalice, he had decided to look upon her, take the experience in, regardless of his boldness or not.

Mouthing the words, he followed along, "... is my soul and life, justice is the passion that stirs me to war and yet the cause of the true and the righteous is beset on all sides by evil..."

He spoke up, even as Loqtar did so, he followed suit, having decided his course, and sticking to it, regardless of his emotional state.

"It is as the water wears down the stone, we shall tear down the evil in such a place with our actions, and faith. It is the journey that often times bring strength to the supplicants, and the first test of the faithful, we too shall renew our lessons in faith, and know though the journey be hard, and maybe insurmountable, we shall press on, ever faithful. The Destination matters not, only the next step forwards."

He almost ended in a whisper, as if something had gotten a hold of him, and he wasn't in charge of his own mouth.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The goddess nods in approval at the answers the clear understanding that faith is more important than your mortal life pleases her. "STRIKE EVIL IN THE NAME OF THE GOOD AND RIGHT, AND REDEEM THOSE YOU CAN FROM FOLLY. WITH THE BLESSING OF IOMEDAE, YOU SHALL VANQUISH EVIL, AND YOUR NAMES SHALL RING WITH GLORY, FOR EVEN IF YOU FAIL IN THIS RIGHTEOUS TASK, YOUR JUST REWARDS WILL AWAIT YOU IN THE GREAT BEYOND! TAKE THEN THIS, MY FINAL GIFT TO YOU! WITH IT, YOU SHALL ALWAYS BE BUT A STEP AWAY FROM HOME, YET KNOW THAT THE PATH IT OPENS TO SAFETY WILL SAVE YOU BUT ONCE BEFORE IT RETURNS TO ME—SAVE SUCH FLIGHT FOR A LAST RESORT.” Iomedae then removes a thread from her cloak, which transforms as she holds it. The stole is resplendent and ruby red thrumming with power as she hands it Einar (for the party as a whole) You all recognise it as the fabled Stole of the Inheiritor

Spoiler: Stole of the Inheritor
    Show

Iomedae often grants the use of the Stole of the Inheritor to her champions in times of great need. When draped across the shoulders (cloak slot), the stole grants DR 5/good, and it grants the use of heal as a quickened spell-like ability once per day. Once per day, a good-aligned wearer of the Stole of the Inheritor can cast holy word (CL = character level). In addition, as long as it is worn, the user can use detect evil and detect chaos at all times. A divine spellcaster who worships Iomedae gains a +2 sacred bonus on all saving throws while wearing the stole. The stole’s greatest power, though, is allowing its wearer to use plane shift on himself and any allies within 120 feet as an immediate action; the stole immediately returns to Iomedae’s shoulders when this effect is used.

“YOU ARE WORTHY TO CHAMPION ME AGAINST BAPHOMET, FOR MANDATE PROHIBITS THE INTERACTION OF THE DIVINE IN EVEN SUCH MATTERS AS PERSONAL AS THE LOSS OF A HERALD. I CHARGE YOU AS WORTHY SOULS TO GO INTO THE DARKNESS OF THE ABYSS, INTO THE IVORY LABYRINTH OF MY ENEMY, AND SEEK OUT MY HERALD. IF HE BE DEAD OR WORSE, I TRUST YOU SHALL FINISH THINGS AS BEFITS THOSE OF YOUR BOLDNESS. HEED THE ADVICE I HAVE GIVEN YOU. GO FORTH ON A ROAD OF HONOUR, SWIFTLY AND WITH GREAT JUSTICE, TO DEFEAT BAPHOMET AND RETURN OR AVENGE MY HERALD. IN SO DOING MAY YOU FIND THE STRENGTH TO FACE THE TRUE PERIL THAT LIES AHEAD. DESKARI ALWAYS WATCHES, AND THE TIME SHALL SOON COME WHEN THE WORLDWOUND MUST BE CLOSED FOREVER LEST IT CONSUME YOUR WORLD.”

As she finishes speaking she walks to each of you touching you on the top of each of your bowed heads and pressing a small disc into each of your hands. "CLENCH THIS IS IN YOUR FIST AND SPEAK MY NAME AND THIS SHALL TAKE YOU TO THE LABYRNTH OF BAPHOMET. IT WILL NOT RETURN YOU BUT WILL AT LEAST YOU BEING SCATTERED AND ALONE WHEN YOU BEGIN YOU QUEST."
    As she finishes a dazzling white light surrounds each of you and you jerk upright, awakening each in your beds. Einar with the Stole of the Inheirtor clutched in his hand, Lucent with the Chalice of Ozem by his side. On each of your bedside tables a bolden medallion with her symbol sits waiting and you know that these discs would grant you access to the labyrinth.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lucent sits up and rubs his eyes, offering a quick prayer to Pulura for guidance as he contemplates this mission. This would certainly be more... knowingly hazardous than anything he had done before, any misstep could certainly be worse than death. In spite of Iomedai's platitude, he was all too aware that rewards in the afterlife were not guaranteed with some of the foes they might face.

Eventually he gathers himself and steps out to greet the others, the chalice and talisman carefully stowed away.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Lucent is trying to recall anything that seems relevant concerning the abyss in general and Baphomet and his personal realm in particular. Among other things he would be hoping to recall how it might interfere with his summoning and teleportation spells, and any other notable features of the labyrinth to be aware of prior to heading within.
    Kplanes (1d20+27)[39]
    Kreligion (1d20+16)[28]
    Karcana (1d20+29)[42]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thrax

Thrax laid in his bed for a few minutes. He gathered his thoughts and tried to catch his breath he didn't realize he was holding while he was in Her presence. He rolled out of bed, mournful that this was likely going to be last time he was comfort for the foreseeable future and may very well be the last bed he laid in for the rest of his (short) life.

"Bah! A warrior cares not for comfort" he admonished himself. The fancy linens were making him soft. He gathered his gear and prepared himself for battle, making sure to leave nothing else behind in the room. He thought of his tribe in this brief quiet moment and how this mission was a stepping stone to keeping them safe and how it important it was in the greater scheme of things. Wheels were turning in the heavens surely.

He slammed opened his door and shouted " Onward to glory! Wake up mewlings, its time to save the world!" He thumbed the coin of teleportation-to-the-bad-place in his beefy hand and went to meet up with his friends before activating it.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2022-03-21 at 10:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem awoke in a sweat, heart hammering. He lay for several minutes while he calmed himself. Even then, he went through the motions of rising, dressing, and gearing up with deliberate slowness and concentration on each mundane movement—the better not to dwell on where he'd just been and what he'd agreed to do. Cleaning his weapons and checking their function was meditative, and each dry-fire into the imagined face of a screaming demon was like a little prayer, willing it to be so. He inspected his cartridges, washed up, and prepared his spells, ignoring Thrax's bellowing until he was good and ready.

Spoiler
    Show

Bit of a hasty post here. I'll list prepared spells in the next one.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2022-03-22 at 12:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Eincar blinked awake, it took him a few more blinks, and his mind to get over the fact that he had, actually, been in the presence of his deity. He was back out of his armor again, in his bed, he was clutching the fabled Stole of the Inheritor, which made him jump out of bed, "it was real, I wasn't dreaming." he said out loud, as if to proclaim to the world.

He got up, and found one of his officiating robes, laid it down on his bed, and then very gingerly, laid the Stole upon it, rolling up the artifact and placing it in his robes in a bundle he could put into his adventuring backpack. Once done, he armored himself, taking time to make sure everything was anointed as the doctrine called for, and the correct prayers were recited. Once Girded, he took up his weapons, and stepped out of his room to hear Thrax yelling.

He smirked at the burly orc, the man was a veritable walking adamantium door. Not much could stop him, and not much could hurt him, he was glad to be on the same side, that and the two had become fast friends from the get go.

"Where are the others? Is everyone ready? I would hate for someone to go to the labyrinth before us and be alone."
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-03-22 at 10:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I suspect none of us are fully ready at this moment. The area we're traveling through will be quite the test. The ivory labyrinth is a maze, but one designed by Asmodeus himself. It shifts and contorts to confound anyone within, and is in and of itself larger than any continent. Attempts to fly or levitate over the barriers of the maze are immediately counteracted."

*Lucent looks around to be sure the others were taking him seriously.* "The plane itself will make it difficult for us to think, or cast spells associated with the upper planes, or spells to assist with navigation for that matter."

"Aside from the physical threats, including the literally infinite demons of the abyss, we can expect the region itself to take a toll, we should prepare to be traveling for weeks at the least, and be ready for extremely harsh weather. There are Ioun stones and rings that allow a person to forgo all need for food and drink. I would suggest that we all make use of them, frankly I am uncertain how long even food we bring will remain safe to consume."

"Aside from the Stole, we do have one other means of escape if there is need. I should be capable of shifting us all out of there. Unfortunately, unlike with her tokens, on our attempt to return I will not be able to determine where we end up. It could be a very deadly location, far from where we need to be, or both. So it would likely be a step backwards, not to be taken unless necessary."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Loqtar listens to the input of the rest of the group. He has said nothing up to now while they speak among themselves, the skald remaining deep in thought. Like the others, he awoke from a dream of Heaven to find that they truly did travel there, did meet with the Lady of Valor. Although she is not his goddess, he awoke feeling... reverent, whole.

Only now, after swearing the oath to Iomedae and listening to Lucent describe the intricate dangers of the Ivory Labyrinth and what they are likely to face, does the Storm Foretold truly understand the weight of what they are about to attempt. They are going to the Abyss, a literal plane of demonic corruption where danger will lurk around every corner. Not only that, they will be infiltrating the stronghold of the Baphomet himself, the sole being in existence who can comprehend the layout of his maze.

The skald puts his stormblade on the table in front of Salem, then proceeds to pace the length of the room. He flicks the golden coin between his fingers and tries to tell himself that he isn't doing it nervously.

"I have such a ring, and a few other tokens besides." Loqtar indicates a few wands that hang from his belt. "There is one that will protect me from the worst of the elements, and another to forego sleep. I can use the latter on any one of us, to make sure we aren't ambushed in the middle of the night. They will run out of charges eventually, but I'm hopeful that we can find what we're looking for in under fifty Golarian days."

He pauses, then has another thought. "Though who knows how much quicker time will pass down there."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Loqtar will burn the first charge of his Wand of Endure Elements before they head down into the Abyss.

Assuming that Salem casts GMW on Loqtar's greatsword, he should have both uses of Spell Kenning. He can use that for an emergency Plane Shift if Lucent cannot for any reason.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2022-03-23 at 03:54 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Dressed, kitted out and with a bit of the old swagger back in his step, Salem strode out to rejoin the rest of his group.

"I reckon the time should pass normally, I haven't found anything to the contrary. 'Course, it may well feel like an eternity. Flying's out, but we should still be able to teleport, if we know where we're going. That'll help, too, if we end up having to shift back out and end up far from here."

"I have one of those sustenance rings," he continued in response to Lucent. "Not sure how many are in this town but it'll be worth it to get our hands on enough for all of us. Like you said, it'll take weeks to get anywhere the old-fashioned way, and that's assuming we don't get lost. Any food we bring in will be poison before long, and we obviously won't be able to scrounge."

He leaned on the table like a general poring over a map at a war council. "Here's where things start to get difficult: Everyone who travels to the Labyrinth seems to start in the same place, a sort of plaza in an otherwise random part of the maze. I can't say what'll greet us there, but it stands to reason it'll be guarded, or at the very least, watched. Now, while the maze does shift at random, the Goat Himself can change the layout at will. So he can't be allowed to find out who we are or why we're there."

"But we may need to interrogate someone, or otherwise do some poking around, to figure out where we're going. There are cities in that maze, if you can believe it, and they're among the few places I feel confident about teleporting us to. So we'll need some means of blending in with the locals, and I couldn't even say if Tieflings are common there, let alone regular non-Abyssal folk. I can make us invisible but only on a short-term basis, which might help going in."

"Our final destination in that damned pit is called the Ineluctable Prison, somewhere in the Breathless Mountains. That name, from what I can tell, is accurate. We can't be fighting off demons and trying to navigate a maze while gasping for air, so we'll need a solution for that too."

"Any ideas?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

After a brief discussion the heroes gather in the grand hall, quiet this early in the morning. Only the remains of the previous night's feast and cold hearths greet you, a few scurrying servants giving you looks of awe and terror before they vanish from site heading into the neighbouring rooms. Standing in the heart of the grand hall you have a last few moments as weapons are enchanted and enhanced, protections against the elements are cast and other protective abjurations spring up around you. You gather and can have one last look at your coins before they are pressed in clenched fists. There is a flash, the air squeezing around you for a second as a high pitched keening wail sounds near you before with a thud you all seem to land in a wide plaza-like chamber with heavy ceilings some 30ft above your heads

This large chamber measures about fifty feet across, and has a vaulted ceiling that rises above you. A sphere of bright light shines above, almost like a miniature sun, casting brilliant illumination down into the room below. Patches of thick green ivy cling to the walls, while a pool of water flanked by two curving ivory benches sits in the center of the room. Numerous archways and doors in the walls provide access to tunnels and chambers beyond. But it is the walls, floor, and ceiling that demand the most attention, for all of these are formed by thousands of bones-skulls, femurs, ribs, and more-harvested from all manner of humanoids and beasts, packed together in a dense osseous patchwork. You appear standing by the fountain, the benches by your legs and the water splashing merrily in the fountain though overlaid with a faint smell of ossuary dust...

Around the edges of the plaza, (so around 25ft from the fountain) wide 10ft corridors branch off to the four cardinal points, diffuse light shining in the boney corridors that tighten to tunnels some 10ft around. Crouched to the south you see a trio of fly headed coluxes demons kneeling around a collection of small gems scattered around on the ground. These figures would be the picture of elegance and refinement were it not for its grotesque fly head and shivering insectile wings they bear. As you appear with a crackle of bony dust the closest demon rises, its chitterning insectile face tilted to a side as they peruse the new arrivals, a probing query in your minds as it sends out a telepathic greeting "Newcomers. Prisoners, food or servants of the horned one?" it seems to ask...

OOC

You appear in the plaza with 3 coloxus demons 20ft away from you

Coloxus demons, known also as fly demons, resemble humans with the head of a fly and twin pairs of gossamer wings. Even their smallest movements and gestures seem infused with manic quickness and alertness. Ironically—given their grotesque, insectile appearance—coloxus demons are demons of vanity. They are formed from the souls of narcissistic mortals responsible for disasters or tragedy through their careless self-absorption. A coloxus prefers to wear opulent clothing and jewels that would rival the wealthiest nobility of any race.

Despite their foul appearance, coloxus demons consider themselves cultured and elite. They are unusually patient and well mannered for demons, and as a result are often used as emissaries, diplomats, and negotiators by marilith generals, balors, and even demon lords. Even when facing hated foes, coloxus demons are the epitome of courtesy, but such manners are always a deceitful veneer, masking the creatures’ efforts to gain the upper hand.

If you start a fight (there are no surprise rounds here) then roll Init in the OOC and see if you beat the demons... (1d20+13)[32]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before they depart the material, Lucent quickly looks about for Clear Spindle Ioun stones and their ring counterparts. He picks one out for himself and repeats the strong suggestion that others do the same.

Later he looks around as the group arrives in Baphomet's greeting hall, "And so it begins."

As they are challenged by the demons Lucent responds in a clear and respectful tone of voice, "Visitors on business of our own. Perhaps you could tell us about the state of affairs for this realm?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+16)[20]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem's hands rested ready on the musket slung across his chest as he appeared with the others in the plaza. He was a little surprised to see the entrance wasn't fortified, at least in any way that was obvious at a glance.

The few fly-headed demons seemed content to talk, for now, so he played it cool and followed the others' lead. But his hands didn't leave his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

Salem will indeed cast Greater Magic Weapon on Loqtar's sword before we set out.

Knowledge (Planes) for the fly guys: (1d20+25)[41]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thrax

Thrax was pleasantly surprised they weren't immediately attacked. He smiled and fired off a quick 'Hello' but decided to leave the rest of the talking to the experts.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Thrax will have grabbed an extra heavy blanket or two and some cold weather gear, despite the magical endure elements - just in case

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

At Lucent’s words and Thrax and Salem’s cautious but not hostile stance the demon approaches. Salem recognised them as Coluxus demons, demons of vanity. They are traditional tanari being immune to lightning, resisting spells and other elements but can also make themselves invisible, create a stupefying (slow effect) droning with their wings and drain someone’s beauty with their proboscis like mouths (Cha damage).

As Lucent speaks the closest one looks from hero to hero, it’s wings beating faster as it sees the holy regalia around Eincar it’s words hiss in your minds. “hah, the realm roils in chaos. The horned lord cast back by Noticula feeds on the power of goddess. You come here, one dressed in robes of vain glory,” it’s clearly singling out Eincar, “Our mistress will be pleased, pawns, foes or food you me be to her.”

As it’s speaking one of the ones at the back vanishes with faint pop of displaced air as it teleports away. The other, wings fluttering as it rises maybe 10ft into the air watching you through its compound eyes

(1d4)[2]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In spite of his polite tone, Lucent is on edge, "With all due respect sir, whatever you think of our chances in avoiding those fates going forward, we have no intention of allowing you to bring us to such an end. Please step back and let us be on our way."