Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil 8: Try jumping

[Geneva and Ambrosia in NERD TALK]

Dun dun dun!

That's a pretty big info dump.

But if Geneva is getting the gist of it-

"If I'm understanding correctly, the demons that have attacked VIGIL before are looking to create a permanent beach-head into the Nexus."

Not great.

"Is that right?"

Specifically their top scientists in the form of some sort of horrible soul-jar gestalt entity is trying to create a permanent beach-head into the Nexus.

Geneva is not comfortable with either of those things.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ambrosia nods. "It's not what they told me, but that's still accurate. Their belief was that having their home here would make fighting unnecessary but even if you believe they were telling the truth there's no real guarantees of that. Wenomir considered it more than a little troubling."

3. - Top - End - #333

"Sharing a home world has never stopped different cultures from trying to conqueror one another before,"
    Geneva points out.

And she has two worlds worth of experience with that.

So long as there are people war seems like an inevitability. All it ever takes is someone deciding that they want more and are willing to kill for it.

And sadly people with that kind of attitude have a tendency to claw their way to the top.

"I'll admit that I'm not clear on why the demons wanted to try to subjugate the Nexus to begin with. But I have my doubts that being able to walk or ride here rather than requiring a gate will change their attitude much."

She wouldn't mind peace-
    -but peace seems highly unlikely.

"Hypothetically speaking, an endeavor like this wouldn't be terribly different from establishing a permanent bridge between the Nexus and another world. The scope and scale are just significantly greater. For that to work, you would need multiple anchor points on each side to establish the bridge and begin drawing the two locations together. Can you tell me precisely when you encountered this location with jumbled terrain recently?"

4. - Top - End - #334

"I'm not clear on the reason for their hyper-aggression, but it at least seemed like the one I talked to didn't share it. Though honestly that might be even more concerning." Ambrosia flips one of the pages of her tome and that causes the rest of them to seemingly start moving on their own until it suddenly stops and she takes out what seems like a map and hands it over to Geneva. "But I'm already ahead of you." She has marked a location on this map. "The issue is that they have proven to be able to move their temple, which VIGIL should already know, so it might not be there anymore."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

"That should be enough. Once we get close I should be able to tell where they are myself and I can take it from there." Ambrosia looks to Utoya, ready to start moving the instant she gives some indication of what direction they're going.

Utayo nods. "Well then , let's begin." She starts to hover smoothly in a direction perpendicular to the Vigil base. Looks like they're pretty immediately abandoning any road or trail. "It may take us some time to get there. Will you be already in the meantime?" She asks Ambrosia.

6. - Top - End - #336

[CATastrophe]

With Awen in there, she's glad that it's over and she closes her eyes and relaxes a little.

Speaking of.
    It's not over.

"...Yeah, Lapis can fly, so she might be able to catch it." She turns towards Lapis without opening her eyes. "You should go now, and make sure you bring it here. And any others if there's more than just the one."

"...Actually, my fox probably was following us around," she adds. The witch moves farther and farther away from the door, and starts to lower the ones she's holding onto the ground. Starting with the ones held by her hair, actually, because man is her hair starting to get tired from that. "I could just have him bring it ---"

Awen cuts off, because she's too busy magically telling her fox what she needs to do.
    And she gets frustrated at her fox, and breathes out, trying to stop letting her fox get to her.

meanwhile
    Speaking of her fox!
    It's...
    It wasn't exactly following her, but it was kind-of following her.
    Ended up outside, going into hiding and napping while they brought the cat into Eun's lab.
    The fox yawns.
    Stretches.
    Considers catching the escaped cognimorphs and mercilessly teasing Awen for doing something so stupid.
    Starts prowling, looking first for where the squirrel went.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #337

Geneva studies the map. "Well, the geographic location WILL help me narrow down my search. But I'm curious about when because that will allow me to review my logs and allow me to see how these experiments have impacted the local space-time topography. That will give me a good idea of the scale they're currently operating at. As you might might imagine bridge events are very common in the Nexus, so being able to narrow my search down to a specific time window allows me to focus my efforts effectively."

The engineer commits the map to memory and hands the book back to the scholar.

"With that information I can search for any similar signals and track their experiments back through time. If I can find a pattern in the experimental locations I can likely predict where the next test run will be. Typically it's best not to run too many experiments of this type in the same locations that will have a cumulative erosive effect on space."

Which is bad.

You don't want a breach.

Typically anything that lives outside of space is not healthy and no one wants that kind of stuff pouring into reality.

[Of Magpies, Dragons, and Baubles]

A dragon approaches VIGIL.

Not a HUGE dragon.

Nothing so gigantic. Nothing like the dragon that caused the storm recently. More or less horse-sized. Big enough to carry a rider on its back if the rider wanted to do something really awesome like ride a dragon. A dragon that the people around VIGIL are probably relatively accustomed to spotting as she comes and goes from the skybase. A dragon covered in black and white plumage, with pinioned wings that flash in metallic blue iridescence. A dragon with a notably beak-like mouth and bright intelligent eyes. A dragon with a tail that is a bit longer than her whole body and covered in a shimmering fan of feathers. A dragon, quite simply, colored like a black-billed magpie.

Lapis Lazuli, back from one her little adventures beyond the edge of VIGIL.

She's been growing increasingly fascinated by the outside world, taking time away from her grounds-keeping duties to engage in heroics and exploration on her own terms. She still doesn't get official VIGIL missions because in spite of everything else she is, Lapis is still a child.

The dragon lands upon scaled corvid feet and begins half trotting half bouncing along one of the well maintained (by her!) foot paths toward her (not so secret) lair. A rather pretty bit of topiary design she has Shaped together to form a large cavity both above and below ground large enough for her full-sized draconic form to fit inside.

Usually she would have assumed her more typical half-elf shape but not today!

Why?

Because she's proudly carrying a heavy wooden trunk with polished brass fittings that she found in her mouth, a discovery made on her most recent escapade. She hasn't opened it up yet. She has no idea what's inside. It'll be a surprise! It feels heavy enough that she's pretty sure there are treasures of some sort within but even if there aren't it is still very pretty and very shiny. Given that she bears the motifs of dragon and magpie pretty and shiny are both attributes in a bauble that Lapis approves of.

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post

Utayo nods. "Well then , let's begin." She starts to hover smoothly in a direction perpendicular to the Vigil base. Looks like they're pretty immediately abandoning any road or trail. "It may take us some time to get there. Will you be already in the meantime?" She asks Ambrosia.

"Of course." She was ready right now but she didn't want to actually fly there as leaving her human body at this point would only make the hunger stronger and it was the last barrier between her and... well, all the potential food.
    Then she realizes something and breaks into a small sprint to catch up with the moonfolk. "You're hoovering." How very observant. But there was probably a implied question in there about the how.

Ambrosia nods as Geneva hands her the book back. "I'm not actually sure if they have tested it out yet as the event we encountered was caused by sabotage. Therefore, I suspect an actual experiment will likely be more subtle in nature. So while this likely was a huge spike in your charts any experiment is likely to be smaller if they're performed any. But that's a good methodology." A beat. "Right, I almost forgot. They actually asked for you by name, Mrs Geneva as they expressed interest in meeting you. Likely due to your shared, ah, field of interest. I should probably have mentioned this earlier."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-22 at 01:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [CATastrophe]

They did it!

Yay!

Now everything will be fine!

But wait, oh no!

Mister Max is saying everything WON'T be fine!

"Yeah bird's aren't allowed in VIGIL," Lapis confirms to the subject of bird chasing. Was he not listening? Seriously how is it that only she and Anika seem to know about this rule? "Do you need me to go find the bird for you? I can do that I'm good at finding things since I'm a Seer."

Possibly the best one ever.

"And maybe Miss Awen can find the squirrel the not-animals like her more than they like me."

Like how the one fox made a whole bunch more foxes just from being near her.

There, see, easy solution!

"Don't worry Mister Max Awen and I can find the not-animals for you it'll be easy."
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [CATastrophe]

With Awen in there, she's glad that it's over and she closes her eyes and relaxes a little.

Speaking of.
    It's not over.

"...Yeah, Lapis can fly, so she might be able to catch it." She turns towards Lapis without opening her eyes. "You should go now, and make sure you bring it here. And any others if there's more than just the one."

"...Actually, my fox probably was following us around," she adds. The witch moves farther and farther away from the door, and starts to lower the ones she's holding onto the ground. Starting with the ones held by her hair, actually, because man is her hair starting to get tired from that. "I could just have him bring it ---"

Awen cuts off, because she's too busy magically telling her fox what she needs to do.
    And she gets frustrated at her fox, and breathes out, trying to stop letting her fox get to her.

meanwhile
    Speaking of her fox!
    It's...
    It wasn't exactly following her, but it was kind-of following her.
    Ended up outside, going into hiding and napping while they brought the cat into Eun's lab.
    The fox yawns.
    Stretches.
    Considers catching the escaped cognimorphs and mercilessly teasing Awen for doing something so stupid.
    Starts prowling, looking first for where the squirrel went.
    [CATastrophe]

"...Right. Okay. We still have time. We can get this under control." The tech gives a shaky nod and gestures to Awen and Lapis. "All right. I'll, um, leave this in your capable hands, I guess. Both of you." He sighs. "I suppose it doesn't really matter too much which one of you goes after which 'morph, except for the whole flying thing. In the meantime, I'll just, um, make sure the others are secure." He reaches out and gently grabs hold of one of the foxes, guiding it toward one of the now-empty enclosures in the center of the room.

The fox does not like this. At all.

In a few moments, the lab tech finds himself on his rump, knocked over by the shenanigans of six rowdy vulpines and two equally-excitable beagles. None of them have actually made any efforts at harming him, of course, but the former have turned to panicked scurrying at the thought of being locked up, and the latter chase them around as the impromptu game escalates into what will likely be a very long night for Max.

Meanwhile, the OTHER fox is going to find that the squirrel it's looking for isn't very physically distinct from any other squirrel; it still smells, looks, and sounds like an ordinary arboreal rodent. Tracking it down may prove difficult, but with the right methodology, it's still possible.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

10. - Top - End - #340

[CATastrophe]

"Okay I'll go right now I'm good at finding things especially birds and I have a secret weapon for bird finding!" Lapis assures the others.

And what secret weapon is that?

A definitely normal magpie that you probably shouldn't pay much attention to takes off from VIGIL.

Hah!

This is Lapis' secret bird finding weapon!

Being a bird!

No bird would suspect a fellow bird from spying on them!

Probably.

Lapis is pretty sure that's how birds work.

Now... What sort of bird was she looking for? Oh right a little yellow one! But since this is one of those strange not animals it might not be that again when she finds it, which makes this harder. But! That just means she can drift every now and again to try to spot all the extra stuff the not-animals keep inways and outways! All she has to do is slowly fly wider circles around VIGIL looking for the not-bird!

Easy!

Definitely it wouldn't have gone very far since they were hovering over that nice little sprawling farming community right now and there are probably lots of people down there the bird might like right it's probably down there singing for someone harvesting grain or something.

Nodding.

Yes yes, that makes sense.

An uncontrolled event will usually have a greater impact on the topography of space/time than a more precise operation.

Yes, mhmm the demons want to talk to her and-

"Wait, what?" Geneva replies, taking a moment to process that. "The people running this experiment asked about me specifically?"

She doesn't seem too keen on this.

Especially since these very demons had destroyed a great deal of important research and equipment when they destroyed her lab back at the old VIGIL tower.

11. - Top - End - #341

Ambrosia nods, deeper than before as if to signify how seriously she considered this. "Afraid so. They seemed to consider you as a fellow scientist of sort. There were all sort of guarantees thrown about but I can't imagine that's going to matter to you. They're very much not much of a people person and you have children so-" The scholar shrugs, the answer seemed pretty obvious to her. "I simply told them it was extremely unlikely that you'd visit them. If you even agreed to speak to them any conversation would have to be done through some kind of communication device I imagine."

12. - Top - End - #342

"There are a few precautions I could take to minimize the threat of demon-corruption, but even then I would prefer not putting myself in that kind of compromised position," Geneva replies somewhat uneasily. "If they're insistent on a meeting remote communication would without question be most prudent."

Though...

She IS curious about their equipment.

That's much more difficult to inspect from afar.

If she did attend in person it would be a matter of maintaining mew form aligned with a Dragon-type move.

That would provide her with resistance to any corruption, of course.

However it wouldn't help much against more underhanded and mundane hazards like capture.

13. - Top - End - #343

"Well, I could always escort you there if you were considering coming there in person." Ambrosia offers as if reading Geneva's mind. "But ultimately I feel you should discuss this with the commanders first. Suggesting otherwise would probably not make them too happy with me anyway." She smiles faintly.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Magpies, Dragons, Baubles
    Someone watches the proud dragpie from the shadows.
    Staying concealed is a habit for the lizardman, who was a hunter before becoming a champion of his goddess.
    This creature, he notes, is a different kind of dragon than any he's seen before, and, by its behavior and size, seems quite young.
    Carefully, quietly, he emerges from the bush and follows Lapis like a green shadow. He wants to see what's going on, and whether this new dragon might pose a threat.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell]

"Uhh... I guess?" Anika had honestly not thought much about it. But Ilpholin was right, was that goat with MERC? That'd be horrible! "We should probably ask them. Maybe they're not even aware that it's a demon?" Like how they wouldn't be aware that they were protecting a demon band? Some willful ignorance there.

Meanwhile, at the moonwell, Ava will feel a shiver creeping up her spine as she enters the liquid. It does simply feel like cool water but there's a energy to it. Like it's boiling, vibrating against her skin.
    "Of course, I'll get to casting right away. But while I'm channeling I cannot have any conversations to you other than perhaps one-word exchanges. Just so you know." Then she will sit down at the edge of the water as green energy start to swirl around her. She appears to be in some form of meditative state with her eyes closed.
    [Moonwell]

"Oh they know. They just choose to turn a blind eye to it. No... worse, they choose to use demons for their own gain no matter who they hurt along the way." Truly the worst. If it wasn't for the fact that they use everyone that way, not just demons, they would have been cleansed long ago.

"O-ok," Ava says, not having imagined making much small talk during this. Or any. Her hands make their way to her arms as she holds herself, trying to fight off the surreal feeling of being boiled without feeling any pain or effect. Pain... guess there was one thing to talk about.

"Will it hurt?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Training Grounds
    Kothar stops and walks casually back to replace the dummy. "Many thanks," He bows courteously. "You need more?" A question. Is this enough demonstration?
    Training Grounds

"That totally rocked, dude. I would have just taken the dummy and ran with it right away but you stood your ground." Which Anika assumed the test was about, the rules were a bit confusing to her.

She raises her hand for a give-me-five, hopefully Kothar won't leave her hanging or, depending on his height, can reach her raised hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Moonwell]

"Oh they know. They just choose to turn a blind eye to it. No... worse, they choose to use demons for their own gain no matter who they hurt along the way." Truly the worst. If it wasn't for the fact that they use everyone that way, not just demons, they would have been cleansed long ago.

"O-ok," Ava says, not having imagined making much small talk during this. Or any. Her hands make their way to her arms as she holds herself, trying to fight off the surreal feeling of being boiled without feeling any pain or effect. Pain... guess there was one thing to talk about.

"Will it hurt?"
    [Moonwell]

Anika considers this for a moment. "I will have to talk to them about it." She ultimately decides.

"But let's get back to the others now. Gotta make sure nothing goes wrong."

If Ilpholin have no objections they will arrive at the moonwell in time to see Shanti still in a trance with Ava standing in the middle of it with its fuming liquid up to her waist.

"No." Shanti replies without opening her eyes, barely even moving her mouth.

Anika does give her the thumbs up once she arrives though. "Doing great!"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-23 at 02:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell]

"I trust you'll get them in line." Ilpholin trusts pretty much the opposite really, but she trusts that Anika will try at least, the true, pure hearted soul that she is.

Her eyes wander away from the Night Elf and take in the scene, focusing mostly on the moonwell itself. She was no magical analyst. Couldn't even guess what this all meant. But she could sense power and this moonwell was bubbling with it. Now just to see if it can live up to its own potential.

Shanti's reply actually does a great deal to calm Ava's nerves and Ava even gives Anika a thumbs up in return when she arrives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #348

"I'll talk with the commanders about it, but I believe beginning with a remote meeting is a good idea. If they really want to extend a hand in friendship, if they're doing this in good faith, then I don't think we would be serving VIGIL or the Nexus by simply rebuffing them. They should be heard out at least," Geneva replies after a few moment's notice.

While she's speaking she's also giving sub-vocalized commands to her computer, drafting a message to Cessie and outlining the course of the conversation and what's being proposed.

Honestly, even if they could determine why the demons are so hostile and nothing else that could be valuable tactical information.

If you don't know what the objective of your foe is then you have no way of predicting what their next action might be.

Also?

She's finished downloading the backup data on the BOSS BIRD!

"Huh... some kind of surveillance device? These are odd readings..."

[Magpies, Dragons, Baubles]

It should become clear in a hurry that this dragon does not, in fact, appear to be a threat.

She takes a meandering path through the VIGIL grounds, allowing herself to be seen by various adventurers working and training around the compound. She gets a few variations on-
    "Hello Lapis!"
    "What have you got there, Lapis have you been getting into things?"
    "Lapis the rose bushes are looking a little scraggly near the barracks could you check on them?"

To which she replies with muffled upbeat affirmative noises on account of having her mouth full of Mystery Trunk.

Eventually she comes to a large copse of oak trees at the end of a hedge wall near the edge of the island and pauses, glancing around briefly, to make sure she isn't being watched. Confident that she hasn't been followed to her secret lair, Lapis clambers into the midst of the trees. The copse seems scarcely large enough to fit the dragon, so it's likely she has a burrow in there. While the other adventurers around VIGIL didn't seem alarmed at her presence, it is a little odd that she seemed to be trying to avoid anyone noticing the location of her lair.

19. - Top - End - #349

"I'm of the same opinion, but Wenomir was highly skeptical of any kind of communication so hopefully he won't oppose this at least." A pause as she considers if that was everything she had wanted to discuss in regards to the 'demons'.

"I do think their technology could be useful for something else than simply murdering people but other VIGIL members seems to treat it as if it was carrying a disease. While I understand their skepticism towards the demons themselves what they've created is simply just tools and tools usually serve those who work them." She turns a new page in her tome, an empty one.

"But speaking of the use of tools, I'm curious, do you use a human body simply to be able to use their tools or is there another reason?" She inquires with a gesture at the tablet Geneva was using.

[Moonwell]

Eventually there's a brilliant white glow raising from the bottom of the well all around Ava and then-

Nothing.

Ava certainly didn't feel anything yet nothing has changed about her either.

Shanti opens her eyes and gets up, looking annoyed. "I though you said she was becoming a demon, Anika?"

"Uh... yeah?" She gestures at Ava. "That's pretty obvious."

Shanti rubs the bridge of her nose tiredly as she turns to her sister. "You've been in the nexus for a while. You should know better than that." Now she gestures at Ava. "She's becoming a fey. Since believe it or not, there's more beings than demons which have horns and hooves. You've seen plenty of fey yourself so you should know this."

Anika blinks. "...huh? But... the eyes..."

"Yes, black eyes. Still, not a demon." Now Shanti turns to Ava. "I'm afraid we have to interrupt this ritual for the time being. Don't worry though, I just need to prepare another ritual and I will undo what's been done to you. Until then be reassured, you're not turning into a demon and I apologize for my sister making you think otherwise." She glances at Anika. "She can be daft at times but... she means well." You can really hear all the energy going out of her voice as she speaks though.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-23 at 11:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350

"There are some tools that are too corrupted to use safely," Geneva insists, her mind briefly flicking to a hideous book bound in hide. "But that's often for fairly concrete reasons. I would prefer to know what a tool IS before I reject its use."

But then, what's this?

Talk of her human form?

She's somewhat... surprised by this.

To say the least.

"Oh! Well, many of the machines in the main lab here interface via keyboards. Using keyboards with talons is tricky so the human shape is helpful. Ah... mostly I remain in human shape in VIGIL unless I have a specific reason not to. Since... there really aren't any other people like me here. It feels kind of, haha, awkward to stand out that much. If you know what I mean."

There aren't any other people from Equestria here.

Just her.

It definitely feels strange being a hippogriff in a world of humanoids.

"But yes! Many of the tools and facilities here at VIGIL were created with people of human size and build in mind. Hippogriffs don't really fit comfortably into many of the spaces here."

21. - Top - End - #351

"I do know what you mean." Ambrosia remarks as Geneva brings up feeling uncomfortable standing out among humanoids. She had certainly felt it for the longest time.

"But you assume your true form once you go home then?" Since that sounded pretty nice.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Baubpies, magons, dragles
    Unfortunately, Lapis is watched.
    Oops.
    But at least the spy in question is a respectful sort, especially to dragons.

He raps with his knuckles on a tree trunk.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #353

[Nerd Talk]

"At home, certainly. Gwen cries if I'm in human shape, she really doesn't like it," Geneva admits. "Also when I'm away from base working on my research. All my equipment was built with my own use in mind so that really isn't an issue in the field."

She looks a bit thoughtful here.

"It's an interesting experience, living in a world primarily shaped by humans. Or at least species that are so similar that a million years of divergence could easily bridge it. It's left me curious about that particular body plan. Why does it keep reoccurring?"

That's a potentially interesting study but well outside her field.

[Dragpies]

Lapis had just spit the trunk out on the floor and was considering how to try getting it open when suddenly there came a rapping as if someone were tapping on her-

Okay she doesn't really have a chamber door OR any busts but that poem is fun so maybe she should get both of those things.

Wait!

Oh no!

Someone must have found her secret lair!

There's only one thing she can do now.

The dragon sticks her head out of the crosp and spies the lizard man! She spies him and says-!

"Hi I'm Lapis Lazuli you found my secret lair do you like sandwich cookies?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-05-23 at 10:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course." She was ready right now but she didn't want to actually fly there as leaving her human body at this point would only make the hunger stronger and it was the last barrier between her and... well, all the potential food.
    Then she realizes something and breaks into a small sprint to catch up with the moonfolk. "You're hoovering." How very observant. But there was probably a implied question in there about the how.

"Oh, yes. It's an ability all of my people possess." Utayo explains. "It's said we're descendants of a great spirit of the moon, and that unlike other peoples we are of the sky not the land."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Dragpies
    "<You seem to have forgotten the meaning of the word 'Secret,'>" the lizardman replies in the tongue of dragons with a throaty chuckle. "<Well met, Lapis Lazuli. I am Kothar.>" He bows respectfully. "<Thank you for the offer, but I have already eaten.>"

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #356

[Dragpies]

<Oh that's the hissy language I know that one. And no I didn't! I'm just not very good at hiding and people keep finding it,> Lapis admits. <I used to be better at hiding when I was little but now I'm big so it's way harder.>

One of the downsides to being a growing dragon.

Where once you used to be able to fit in cupboards to sniff out skinwalkers and definitely not eat Mister Heimlich's potatoes you eventually get so big that all the little things you used to do just don't work anymore.

It's very sad.

Or very happy if you don't like your raw potatoes being eaten.

It is probably worth noting that Lapis' draconic accent is an interesting one. Amethyst dragon, specifically. Gem dragons are pretty rare and so it might be a little difficult for Kothar to place it.

<Nice to meet you Mister Kothar are you a new adventurer here at VIGIL I don't think I've seen you before and I try remembering everyone your head crest is really pretty I love it!>

The oddly avian dragon fidgets a little, the sort of body language that's suggestive of someone who feels the need to remain in motion pretty much at all times.

<Did something on the grounds need to get fixed? I know about the tree with the broken branch I just haven't gotten to it yet.>

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell]

Ilpholin doesn't move from her position leaning against a tree arms crossed as she watches the attempt. "You're still expelling a foreign influence and reverting her back to her original form, are you not? Maybe you need to update your ritual to be less pedantic. Since the girl's trauma and transformation doesn't care about the semantic differences." Ilpholin says, calling Shanti out for getting on Anika. The goat was a demon in heart and soul and no failed ritual witch is going to convince her that 'fey' is the proper term for what Jaahlyn was. No one with the power to sap the will from the living en masse and force themselves upon another's identity was anything less than a demon. A monster.

Ava senses Ilpholin's opinion hasn't changed and while Shanti's words are a bit of a relief, the nymph would likely still slay her if she stayed this way. Not that she wants to stay this way, so Ava intrudes loudly, trying to cut off any other debate on the issue. After all Shanti said she could still cure her, right? "I-It's fine! It's fine everyone. Just... how long will you need?" Ava asks Shanti.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #358

[Moonwell]

If Ilpholin was trying to get a raise out of Shanti, she doesn't seem to succede as Shanti simply nods. "Yes, I completely agree. Unfortunately a lot of druidic magic can be extremely pedantic. Likely due to the influence of the patriarchs who have controlled it over the millennia. We also need to use completely different spells to cleanse poison, disease, magic and 'curses', just as an example."

"-yeah, that is pretty stupid." Anika agrees, perhaps to save some face as she too knew about all those things!

"Updating these ancient rituals is unfortunately difficult so I do with what I have for now." Shanti now turns to Ava. "Could you give me say half an hour or so to prepare? Since fortunately for you I expected that there could have been errors like these so I brought along more reagents than I needed."

[Nerd Talk]

Is there anywhere Ambrosia could take a seat nearby? Since as much as the scholar liked to stand around and take notes she felt like this might go on longer than she had originally planned.

"I've noticed that too. First I simply hypothesized that they had either originated in my own world and come here or the other way around. However, that hypothesis seemed increasingly unlikely as time went on so now I'm not sure how to explain it." Though right now she was more curious about Geneva's other remark...

"But, ah, your daughter. How old is she? Since I've been told that I had a similar reaction when I saw a human for the first time. Then there was a lot of... biting, but hopefully you won't have to deal with that at least." Ambrosia smiles.
    Though knowing how children were she wouldn't discount the biting part.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell]

The goal was to get Shanti to lay off of Anika. Shanti herself couldn't even tell the difference and she was supposed to be the expert here. If she couldn't bother with due diligence before such a specific ritual, she has no right to call out Anika for the mixup. But Ilpholin has nothing else to add about the issue as it is addressed, remaining still and in place, waiting to see if Ava's life is forfeit. Even if that wait will be a half-hour.

"Y-yeah. Yeah, whatever you need, of course," Ava says before going to climb back out of the moonwell and sit on the edge, shivering slightly as the water cools while they wait.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #360

[Nerd Talk]

Geneva seems to pick up on the 'in search of a chair' look and gestures at some chairs at a nearby table.

There!

Seat acquired!

That'll make the conversation a little easier.

"Gwen and her siblings are about a year and a half old," Geneva replies, smiling fondly. "Griffins and equestrians both mature faster than humans do by a not inconsiderable amount, so my children are quite a bit more active than a human of the equivalent age would be."

Also quite a bit more bitey but she has mostly trained them not to chomp people. Those beaks are sharp.

"Gwen specifically is quite shy. The first time she saw me like this she hid under the bed."

Both heartbreaking and adorable.