New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil 8: Try jumping

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Village]

Mia is silent for a moment. It is a bit abstract for people here to get this. In her world it is so common that there are barly anyone who questions it.

"I'm not sure I get what you mean, but Why is that a problem? I heared plants have a spirit too and some flowers only grow facing allways the sun. A spirit in a toaster might be able to controll the toast in a little way. So sometimes the toast burns even if the toaster got the same setup as usual, just because you made it mad. That doesn't happen so much and the toaster is just a simple example."
    "I mean, could you have a toaster with no spirit? Or a sunflower with no spirit? Wouldn't it be more reliable then?"
    There's an idea that would be useful for Sophia to have in order to understand it, but she's never really thought of anything like machine spirits before.
    "I never thought I would have anything to do with spirits and magic, you know? I don't really know a lot about technology either. But I have to represent technology to the rest of us, this whole group that's only ever dealt with living things and spirits. It's hard just to know what's going on."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Ambrosia let's out a small sigh and turns to give Utayo an apologetic look. "Excuse us for one moment."

Then she turns back to her friend and speaks to her in a hushed tone while gently guiding her away from the moonfolk. "Thariza, once I start feeding I'm not going to stop, do you understand?" She remarks in a frank tone that she hopes will bring the charr out of her stupor. "I know this is difficult for you but as much as I pretend to be I'm not human and there are some things that I simply have to do. So I need to know where you stand on this-" The scholar glances at Utayo. "-and how much you are willing to tell her."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Thariza rubs her muzzle, coming back to reality a little bit.

"I'll manage. I've been avoiding remembering this place, but now that I'm here, I won't run from it." Her voice is weak, but she puts as much resolve in it as she can. "I'll tell Utayo as much as is necessary."

She turns and walks back to their companion.

"This is Vigil's former HQ. It was destroyed in a demon invasion. I don't know how, exactly, because they killed me before it happened." She takes a deep, shaky breath. "Later on, one of their leaders revived me just to see if it could. I met Ambrosia afterwards."

Utayo's eyes widen slightly. She suppresses the urge to ask more, recognizing the sensitive situation. "That must be difficult for you. I apologize for leading you to this place."

3. - Top - End - #663
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

[Training Ground]

"Ohoh, sca-ry. I'm terrified. This is me shaking in my boots." TARBot says in a sarcastic, deadpan tone. "In any case, two's a crowd, so I better find some crowd control first."

TARBot disappears and reappears one last time. The sword he's holding this time is pink like the first one, but is a falchion with blue details on the blade and a handguard shaped like a cat. He holds this blade in a plow guard.

"You have no idea of the lengths I go through to get some of these things. You'll be no trouble."
    We are FREE of
    BEER! As in, we don't have any beer.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

[Training Ground]

Wenomir nods, concealing his disappointment. It is Mia's fight and he came here to help. He shouldn't sideline her for the sake of his pride.

"Let's get to work, then." He draws his sword in a smooth gesture and takes a deep breath. Then he's in motion. To him, time flows like cool honey, the world around him slowing down and becoming a diorama of potential angles of attack and defence. To TARBot, his opponent becomes a blur of force. Mia has seen him move like this many times, of course.

Wenomir rushes forward, his sword cutting a silvery line as he makes three attacks against TARBot in such rapid succession that they seem to come at once. One attack from the left, then a thrust, then an attack from the right that's actually a feint to set up another attack from the left. The goal of this maneuver is to force him back and out of position, to leave him open for an attack or spell from Mia. Should any attack hit, TARBot will find that the sword can cut metal plating with little effort.
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-28 at 03:51 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ambrosia walks up to stand next to the charr while addressing Utyoa. "I don't know much about what took place here either, or what Thariza suffered, but I do know that while the spirits here might mimic the appearance of the people who died they're nothing more than vultures feeding off a carcass."

Then it occurs to her that she was speaking to another spirit expert, so that might have come off as patronizing.

"...if they're the spirits that I'm used to of course. But either way-" She turns to Thariza. "-you must be cautious as they're likely to try to use your strong connection to this place. Imagine meeting your own ghost or shade for instance. Since where I'm from, and unlike popular belief, they're not actually you. It's more like a reanimated part of your body, or mind in this case, which has taken a life of its own. While it might have some of your memories, in particular of what happened that day, it has nothing else."

Ambrosia gestures to Thariza and let's out a small sigh. "So what I'm saying is that if you see me eating something that looks like you, I'm actually doing you a favor. Ghosts and shades are unpleasant creatures that you should give as little thought as possible."

6. - Top - End - #666
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

[Training Ground]

As soon as Wenomir opens his mouth, TARBot swings his sword once, sending a magical cat-shaped projectile straight for Wenomir. If it hits him, it'll feel about the same as getting hit with a baseball at 90 miles per hour.

As for the attack itself, TARBot parries the first slash with his Meowmere, then simply disappears and reappears just as before to avoid the next two attacks. (Surely all those bright flashes have to be distracting?) He is able to do this thanks to his AI providing him reflexes hundreds of times faster than that of an average swordsman. Then, he'll respond by immediately slashing at Wenomir 5 times in very rapid succession with the Meowmere, sending out a wave of the cat projectiles that bounce along the ground at a high speed, meowing every time they do so. One or two of these meowing projectiles are headed for Mia. Of the 5 slashes, the first 4 were horizontal (right-left-right-left) and the last one was a vertical chop.

"I see you don't hold back. In that case, neither will I."
    We are FREE of

7. - Top - End - #667

[Training Ground]

Having had Wenomir as her tutor they should be able to not get into each others way and they also know a few moves to combine their skils. Sadly the enemie seems to have an advantage they don't have. Since the projectiles seem to be big enougth mia deflects the first one up into the air while turning to the side to avoid the other one. Then she starts movin, circeling the enemy. She waits up for either TARBot clash swords with Wenomir or when TARBot goes flashing again. In that case she will use her free hand and shoots a small green ray at him. Should that hit he might not recognize the effect immediatly. Thought he won't be able to shift into the pocket dimension his swords are or, if his movements are simular to a dimension move he will just get the red circle with a line in it denying the dimensional service.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Thariza's face assumes a long-suffering look. This just keeps getting better and better; seeing Ambrosia eat her own ghost is a horror she had actually not considered before. Rust it all.

"Let's just get on with it. I'll try not to break down once we're inside. Maybe it'll end up being therapeutic for me."

[Training Ground]

When Wenomir sees the projectile coming, he sweeps his sword almost casually, deflecting it directly into TARBot's face. He raises it to parry TARBot's attacks once his own offensive is avoided, but realizes in a split-second that all it will do is spray those projectiles everywhere. He steps back and feigns being caught off-guard more than he is, but it's a prelude to suddenly leaping upwards, spinning above his enemy and slashing down at him, then landing behind him and making a quick thrust at his mid-section.
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-29 at 01:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

[Training Ground]

TARBot doesn't even flinch when the projectile hits him: since he fired it, it'll deal no damage to him.

He crouches very low to the ground when Wenomir feigns being caught off guard, having anticipated forward movement. This lets him parry Wenomir's overhead slash, and he then moves forward so he's out of range of the midsection stab. He makes sure to pick up the Pokeball left on the ground as he's moving, because by this time his ability to go to that pocket dimension has already been disabled. This infuriates him, though he doesn't show it. "That was cheap, so let me be cheaper still." Turning to face Wenomir and staying in a low guard position, TARBot bounces the ball in Mia's general direction. Provided it is not interrupted before it hits the ground, a Doublade will appear from it, that does not look happy to see Mia. "Get her, my Pokemon! Because ironically, she's done more damage than her more egotistical cohort over here ever will."
    We are FREE of

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Ambrosia walks up to stand next to the charr while addressing Utyoa. "I don't know much about what took place here either, or what Thariza suffered, but I do know that while the spirits here might mimic the appearance of the people who died they're nothing more than vultures feeding off a carcass."

Then it occurs to her that she was speaking to another spirit expert, so that might have come off as patronizing.

"...if they're the spirits that I'm used to of course. But either way-" She turns to Thariza. "-you must be cautious as they're likely to try to use your strong connection to this place. Imagine meeting your own ghost or shade for instance. Since where I'm from, and unlike popular belief, they're not actually you. It's more like a reanimated part of your body, or mind in this case, which has taken a life of its own. While it might have some of your memories, in particular of what happened that day, it has nothing else."

Ambrosia gestures to Thariza and let's out a small sigh. "So what I'm saying is that if you see me eating something that looks like you, I'm actually doing you a favor. Ghosts and shades are unpleasant creatures that you should give as little thought as possible."

Thariza's face assumes a long-suffering look. This just keeps getting better and better; seeing Ambrosia eat her own ghost is a horror she had actually not considered before. Rust it all.

"Let's just get on with it. I'll try not to break down once we're inside. Maybe it'll end up being therapeutic for me."

Utayo looks between then with a concerned expression. She can hardly believe this is continuing, or at least that Thariza is subjecting herself top this, but it's not her place to remark. "Very well, then." She doesn't prompt any further. Thariza can take all the time she wants.

11. - Top - End - #671

It might just be Utayo's look of concern, or it might be Thariza's comment on it being 'therapeutic', but Ambrosia's attention is drawn to the charr. "Me feeding there shouldn't require you to getting close to that ruin, Thariza. Just to clarify that. There's absolutely no need for you to follow me in there if it causes you distress."

Ambrosia let's out a small sigh. "And we've had far enough of that today." Then she reaches up to touch Thariza's hand. "So please, take care of yourself. You've put yourself in enough danger already."

Then, assuming there's no protests Ambrosia will once again find a good spot and take a meditative pose on the ground.

Then eventually her dragon form can soon be seen flying towards the old VIGIL ruins.

12. - Top - End - #672

[Training Ground]

When Wenomir sees the projectile coming, he sweeps his sword almost casually, deflecting it directly into TARBot's face. He raises it to parry TARBot's attacks once his own offensive is avoided, but realizes in a split-second that all it will do is spray those projectiles everywhere. He steps back and feigns being caught off-guard more than he is, but it's a prelude to suddenly leaping upwards, spinning above his enemy and slashing down at him, then landing behind him and making a quick thrust at his mid-section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Leaf View Post
    [Training Ground]

TARBot doesn't even flinch when the projectile hits him: since he fired it, it'll deal no damage to him.

He crouches very low to the ground when Wenomir feigns being caught off guard, having anticipated forward movement. This lets him parry Wenomir's overhead slash, and he then moves forward so he's out of range of the midsection stab. He makes sure to pick up the Pokeball left on the ground as he's moving, because by this time his ability to go to that pocket dimension has already been disabled. This infuriates him, though he doesn't show it. "That was cheap, so let me be cheaper still." Turning to face Wenomir and staying in a low guard position, TARBot bounces the ball in Mia's general direction. Provided it is not interrupted before it hits the ground, a Doublade will appear from it, that does not look happy to see Mia. "Get her, my Pokemon! Because ironically, she's done more damage than her more egotistical cohort over here ever will."
    [Training Ground]

Mia should have waited for TARBot to pick another sword which would be weaker then his current befor disabeling the ability. He seemed to be weak to her divine magic, but on the other hand her god is the god of machines so it is appropiated that it works so well. Well now she has to face these flying twin blades? Lucky for her they don't seem to attack immediatly. so she puts her hand on the symbol on her blade making the cogwheels spin faster.

Then her edges beginn to emerge two colors one side blue one red like an aura extending the blade. Shes ready for whatever they try

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "I mean, could you have a toaster with no spirit? Or a sunflower with no spirit? Wouldn't it be more reliable then?"
    There's an idea that would be useful for Sophia to have in order to understand it, but she's never really thought of anything like machine spirits before.
    "I never thought I would have anything to do with spirits and magic, you know? I don't really know a lot about technology either. But I have to represent technology to the rest of us, this whole group that's only ever dealt with living things and spirits. It's hard just to know what's going on."
    "No." Mia says. "I'm not that firm with flowers but a toaster without a spirit wouldn't work at all."

"Don't worry to much." She replies. "The mayority of the people haven't noticed the spirits at all and only a few choosen seem to be able to see them. Mayn demons have n't managed to corrupt them wither because they didn't know or they couldn't. So even if those can't make use of theat, normal people won't as well. It is a shame, but I have to accept this."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

13. - Top - End - #673
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Village]

This is crazy. There's no way toasters work like that, Sophia is thinking. She's used toasters for years!
    Of course, she never did have any talent for seeing spirits. Rather the opposite, if anything. Perhaps, all that time, there was a quiet toaster spirit at work.

How troubling.

Demons, of course, operate on a spiritual level. Reshaping the merely spiritual through the infusion of foreign spirits and out-of-band self. That's expected.
    The hive, weirdly enough, also can operate on a spiritual level. Which only makes sense now that she thinks about it. How else does Faye work? How else did they get the phones?
    But that means...anything could go. Any machine could be made to live.
    "That does seems a shame. Is there any category of things without spirits?" she asks hopefully.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine