New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil 8: Try jumping

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Eun's Lab]

Curious. That would imply that LightBearer's biological counterpart was expected to be exposed to a number of potential environments, over multiple generations. That might suggest an attempt at improving the longterm survivability of a group of planetary colonists or a population anticipating global disaster. But, as previously noted, that's well beyond the capabilities and motives of 19th century Earth.

Which sort of begs the question; who would want to scoop up someone from this seemingly random point in history, stick them full of adaptability genes, and then shove their genetic profile into a computer?

Maybe these apparently extraterrestrial genes could help. Eun scrolls through to see if she has enough of them to put together a basic profile of their expressed phenotype, checking for the complexity that would indicate an alien form of life (or simplicity indicating a man-made origin).
    Given the terrestrial almost-genes seem to be snippets from various sources, the same seems a safe bet of the non-terrestrial ones, suggesting the sequence is artificial patchwork. Trying to figure out what phenotype they'd express put together like this is extremely hard without simulating or growing an organism with these genes, but if Eun's reference database extends to para- and demihumans from alternate Earths, possible since various such people mingle in the Nexus, she won't be left completely in the dark. Some individual almost-genes can be compared to genes from other worlds where they are linked to "heightened psychic potential" or some such thing. However, since "psychic powers" are not constant across universes, it is hard to say what the genes themselves do. A further inquiry leads to an ugly mire of para- and pseudo-scientific theories because even in some worlds where "psychic powers" can be said to be real, the hows and whys have not been adequately explained.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Bird Hunting]

Lapis is determined.

Even as the synth puts a hand on Lapis' shoulder she doesn't turn around!

Oh no.

She heads straight for that painting and she'll pull it off the wall, keeping her gaze firmly fixed on the two dimensional bird.

"I GOT YOU this time, Boss Bird!" she informs the painted animal, which might seem to be completely crazy from the perspective of the synth.

Because come on.

A kid yelling at a painting?

That's pretty crazy.

"I'm sorry Miss Lady but I have to keep looking at the Boss Bird otherwise it'll disappear," Lapis explains as she probably gets grabbed with greater force since she isn't turning around OR ceasing her barging. "See look the bird is right there it looks like a hoopoe and it makes noises like one but they don't mean anything I think it's just pretending to be a bird."

Should the synth look where Lapis is pointing she'll get a good view of the bird in question.

That wasn't in the painting before, was it?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DRAGON STORM

Spako hops off Wenomir's shoulder as he leaves so as to not be taken along with him. The joke having passed, he returns to his preferred kobold shape.
    "I suppose if the runes are already in your possession and I wouldn't be discussing them with the demons I can have a look." he concedes.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

[DRAGON STORM - Private Talks]

Wenomir is silent as he listens to Cessie's explanation. Which... makes a lot of sense. People fear dragons or try to use their power. Maybe Ambrosia just wanted to be treated as an equal? It's not an easy mindset for him to grasp, since he had to scratch and claw his way to power and chose the way of the warrior for himself. But then, he was used as a weapon himself for a time.

"I can't think of any of our members who would be fey. But then, it's not something I've paid a lot of attention to before. We'll need to double-check."

Which will be a lot of time spent poring over membership rosters. Fun.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Make her stay here? Judging by Wenomir's description of her reaction, that isn't particularly likely. Though- actually, let me hold that though." Blanche had said quite a few things that were worth commenting on.

"I'm leaning towards that Miss Sunfletcher isn't fey despite everything. Though I didn't know you had fey ancestry, Blanche. Suggests that Ambrosia might be able to sniff that out somehow, which seems worth asking her about once I get a chance to sit down with her. If she could help us with that we wouldn't have to double check everything."

The sorceress raises her hand. "Now, the though I had. It seems to me that Ambrosia is more willing to listen to Thariza, the big cat-like lady that came with her, than any of us. So would either of you be willing to talk her into convincing Ambrosia to not do anything stupid? I need to get back to my children as they're probably wondering why I'm spending so long meditating when-" She displays her palms in a dismissive manner. "-I'm digressing, the point is that I think Thariza is our best way to talk to Ambrosia."

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

[Cessie's Office]

Ambrosia looks up from her tome. "No, that' should be it for now. Though I do find your field of study fascinating considering how it relates to my own so perhaps we shall discuss it further at some point. But until then..." She then gets up, makes a curt bow and leaves the room.

Cessie clears her voice once the scholar has left. "So what is it you wish to discuss? You may speak freely."
    [Cessie's Office]

"It's Quire." Khafir replies succinctly. "I have done as you said and contacted him about the possibility of treatment. He did not take it well." She lowers herself into the nearest available seat and gestures to the folder. "I took the liberty of checking in on him after he forcibly terminated communications. He appears to be in the process of doubling down security around him." She straightens. "As I previously mentioned, his condition causes rapid swings in mood and motivation. He may have already destabilized to the point of having what laymen would call multiple personalities."

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Given the terrestrial almost-genes seem to be snippets from various sources, the same seems a safe bet of the non-terrestrial ones, suggesting the sequence is artificial patchwork. Trying to figure out what phenotype they'd express put together like this is extremely hard without simulating or growing an organism with these genes, but if Eun's reference database extends to para- and demihumans from alternate Earths, possible since various such people mingle in the Nexus, she won't be left completely in the dark. Some individual almost-genes can be compared to genes from other worlds where they are linked to "heightened psychic potential" or some such thing. However, since "psychic powers" are not constant across universes, it is hard to say what the genes themselves do. A further inquiry leads to an ugly mire of para- and pseudo-scientific theories because even in some worlds where "psychic powers" can be said to be real, the hows and whys have not been adequately explained.
    [Eun's Lab]

That gets a frustrated frown out of Eun. Damn. Up until now, she more or less understood what she was working with when she got in the same room as LightBearer. No nonsense about magic, or psychic powers, or the like. All she had to worry about was the novel application of otherwise strict scientific principles. Now that the investigation has led her out of that domain, she has no idea what she's in for.

Well, that's not entirely true. She has some idea what she's in for. Enough to know that she wants absolutely no part in it.

"Well, it's official." Eun mumbles as she turns back to the computerized siblings. "You've got some craziness in your code." She quickly relays her findings to them both; she's not sure what they would do with the information, but "oh hey your genetic template includes psychic abilities" seems like the sort of thing they'd like to know.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eun's lab]

"I don't understand why you think this part is crazier than any of the others", the First Lightbearer says. "It seems to follow all the same rules as the rest of it."

"Maybe you're thinking of it wrong way around", the Second Lightbearer chimes in. "Maybe it's not the pattern that causes, uh, "psychic powers". Maybe it's contact with such powers that causes change in the pattern." Her hologram shrugs. "Not that I could tell the difference from my position even if I wanted to. Any simulation of "psychic powers" within this chassis would perforce follow all the same rules as any other holographic projection. It would not appear any different to me on level of first principles."

"Right", the First Lighbearer comments, "It would be like my ability to control this simulated room I'm in." The girl on the screen gestures at the walls of her little room, causing some segments to detach and begin floating around her. "This would appear wondrous if done in outside reality, but there is no magic in it to me. I may appear to control my environment with my mind, but that's because my mind is not localized in this apparent human body - instead, both are creations of unseen larger machinery. Really, I can't see a way for a human to have psychic powers without connecting to something larger than... huh."

8. - Top - End - #68

[Eun's Lab]

"Well, yeah, except we aren't in a machine." Eun points out. "The genes we're looking at here apparently somehow create actual, physical people with psychic abilities." She flushes a little as the implications of her statement sink in. "Not that I don't think of either of you as people. But you're both still stuck within the confines of those machines. Like you said, anything you would do within those machines only appears extraordinary if you forget you're in a machine. That's not something you can do out he-" She stops. "...You're not thinking the same thing I am, are you?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eun's lab]

The girl on the screen shrugs. "I can't read minds."

The holographic girl giggles. "You mean, you can't read her mind because her brain is not connected to an USB port."

The girl on the screen nods, far more serious, then continues speaking to Eun: "Leaving aside idle musing about you existing in another layer of a simulation, that's the key idea: connection. Consider: across various alleged forms of psychic power, how many would be explainable, or are explained by, a human connecting to an external entity?"

10. - Top - End - #70

[Eun's Lab]

"...I suppose nearly anything that isn't telekinetic." Eun replies after giving it some thought. "Reading minds, for instance. If two people were theoretically connected to some form of server, but only one was aware of it, that one would be able to send and receive messages without the other realizing it. Extrasensory perception, likewise; that would be loosely equivalent to a ping function. Hypnosis, sending commands to a connected entity without their knowledge. Retrocognition, tapping into the memories of a connected entity, or perhaps the server itself. Precognition, using the combined processing power of all connected entities to make accurate predictions about the future. So long as it concerns the exchange of information, and not the manipulation of physical matter, that explanation is sufficient." She runs a finger along her temple as she considers this. "Though the details still get sticky. When computers connect to each other, there's still a medium through which they send information; optical fibers, electromagnetic signals, q-space distortions. It doesn't just happen." She massages her temple as a migraine starts forming. "To say nothing of how such an ability would develop in the first place. It's defiant of the basic underpinnings of evolution; you'd need for a species to pick up an ability to perceive and manipulate said psychic medium, and that ability would need to somehow be beneficial on the level of basic physiological needs so that random mutation doesn't immediately get snuffed out over a few generations. At least when other species develop vocal and eventually written communications, it's built on the basis of already picking patterns out of sounds and lights around them."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-03-27 at 01:02 PM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eun's lab]

The holographic girl blinks. "Um, telekinetics isn't an exception. Take this chassis of mine, and that communicator you gave my sister." She points at her feet, at the little robot projecting her image, and then at the network-disabled phone on the table. "If that communicator worked, it would be easy to rig it so that it could send directions over radio to this chassis. Boom! Motion over distance through connection unseen to humans!"

"Oh, hush. Don't get sidetrack-", the girl on the screen begins, motioning annoyedly at her sister, but then stops. "No, wait. That's actually useful. Let's continue that thought." She goes and fetches her simulated copy of the robot chassis from the corner of her simulated little room. "In principle, anything doable can be done through transmitting information, given there is something on the other end receiving that information and putting it to use", she continues, moving the simulated robot around with a simulated radio controller. "We can forget what the exact medium is - radio waves, light, sound, whatever - for now. It's besides the point. We can also forget wondering about how these genes could come to being naturally - given large enough amount of Earths, some weird things are bound to happen. Doesn't matter - I think I am artificial, we can presume these genes in this context are just as artificial."

The holographic girls rubs her chin as she listen to her sister talk. "So, what's left?"

"What is left is the basic purpose - facilitating communication", the girl on the screen explains. "Don't think of these genes as giving powers. They don't let you move stuff with your mind - they make it possible for something else to see what's on your mind and move stuff for you."

The holographic girl nods. "Which, of course, means that in absence of that something else, they do nothing", she concludes happily. Her sister's face, on the other hand, is a lot darker

12. - Top - End - #72

[Eun's Lab]

"...I see." Eun says, tapping her finger to her chin. "So within the context of this computer simulation, that's... you contacting your avatar? Or your avatar contacting you? Both, neither?" She shrugs. "It's a touch elaborate for something meant just for that purpose, though. A simulated strand of DNA with... I guess we could call them modem genes, to keep the analogy going... a simulated strand of DNA with modem genes is sort of begging for physical implementation, isn't it? It's a how-to guide for creating something that's psychically receptive, but it still needs a means of implementation, an-" She stops. "...Wait. When we-" she gestures toward the first Lightbearer, "were first making contact, you mentioned that you knew a way to 'draw' onto reality. Using a method similar to the q-membrane technology I showed you. But we got you from a data analysis of an artifact that was brought in a while ago. Would that be what you were meant to contact?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Thariza used to be our member," Wenomir says for Blanche's benefit. "Or... she was a HALO member, then became a Vigil member when we merged. And then when HALO split off again... well, the demons attacked and she died." He scowls. "She came back somehow, but quit HALO, as far as I can tell. It might be best if neither of us talks to her. Too much history that can't be pleasant to her."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #74

[Cessie's Office]

"That's... unfortunate. What would your recommendation be in this case? We could always try to send someone there to talk to him physically." Which made Cessie wish they had Sophie on their payroll. They hadn't had the best luck with diplomacy in recent... well, she couldn't think of a single time diplomacy had worked out for them right now.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [DRAGON STORM - Outside]

"I don't know how well that went," Thariza says as she watches Wenomir leave. "He reminds me of Rytlock Brimstone if he was human. Both of them probably practice glaring at people in a mirror." She hopes this little bit of levity keeps Ambrosia's spirits up.
    [DRAGON STORM - Outside]

"You will have to tell me about this 'Rytlock' at some point, Thariza. It isn't the first time you mention him." The dragon says as she turns to her. Though the charr can likely tell that Ambrosia is sounding rather somber.

She glances at Spako as if to confirm that he was still there before looking to a person she just barely recognized. "Ah, are you Utoya? We finally meet."
    [DRAGON STORM - Outside]

Utayo steps forward when she's addressed and bows deeply. "Indeed, and you Ambrosia. It's a shame we couldn't have met under more pleasant circumstances, but I'm glad to see this conflict resolved with little harm done."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Bird Hunting

The painting is grabbed and pulled from the wall.

"Yeah, I... huh. That bird was up in the left corner, last time I looked at it. I didn't pick the painting for the room- it was here first." The synth didn't bring a lot when she joined Vigil, just a collection of guns, some armour, and the suit of power armour that she only wears in emergencies because the fusion cores that power it are tricky to find here.

The hoopoe is in the painting, on a branch at the bottom right corner. The rest of the painting is of a tree with lots of birds in it, but... it's a 1870s naturalist's painting of Australian birds, so to an ornithologist the hoopoe stands out as the only European bird in the image. There's a kookaburra, an Australian magpie, an emu in the shade of the tree, a blue-billed duck, a Pacific emerald dove, crested pigeon, a shining bronze cuckoo, a brolga, an Oriental pratincole, and a rainbow bee-eater. The synth has no idea what any of the birds are.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #77

Dragon Storm - Private Talks

Spoiler
    Show

"Thariza used to be our member," Wenomir says for Blanche's benefit. "Or... she was a HALO member, then became a Vigil member when we merged. And then when HALO split off again... well, the demons attacked and she died." He scowls. "She came back somehow, but quit HALO, as far as I can tell. It might be best if neither of us talks to her. Too much history that can't be pleasant to her."

"It may be possible that she'd have less bias towards me considering she wouldn't have any personal baggage towards me specifically - though, er, I can't say diplomacy is really my strong suit." Blanche would say she has an alright sense of people and how they tick, but actually talking to them persuasively was a whole different matter.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eun's Lab]

The girl on the screen appears lost in thought when Eun asks her. "Artifact? Oh, you mean the machine of which I'm partial copy of a copy of. Yes, it does seem likely that just as I was made to connect to a human, my creators would've made a way for humans to connect to me."

"A wireless protocol. You know, as an alternative to having wires attached to your head", her sister adds, poking right side of her holographic head to invoke the image of someone plugging an adapter there.

"If you're wondering why I don't have wires attached to my head, it's because that would be redundant. I get the same information from a hidden layer of this simulation that precedes this visual presentation of myself as a human... good grief, it sounds so complex when you say it aloud." Technically nothing is hidden from Eun. She could, at any moment, pull up the cellular automaton layer of the AI and see exactly what it is doing down to the hardware layer.

"Me, I'm just not showing them to you", the holographic girl notes. "When I brought up trying to grow a real human using these blueprints, I was actually thinking of what machine parts you would need to add to her to connect her to me. I didn't know there would already be a communication interface there by default. I don't know whether these genes are active in this simulation, or what they are doing. I don't think I'm benefiting of them, but the only way to know for sure would be to simulate another copy of myself without them for comparison."

19. - Top - End - #79

Cessie taps her finger against the table as she hears them out. Sounded like Blanche would at least be okay with doing this, but like she said. She wasn't a trained diplomat. Just a soldier doing her job. However, she had noticed that Blanche seemed sometimes seemed to be disregarded by the other members somewhat in the sense that besides her expertise at the battlefield, medical training and excellent marksmanship she had no 'special' qualities like a lot of others within VIGIL had.

But perhaps that was the wrong way to look at things. An alternative interpretation was that Blanche was disregarded as she simply hadn't had a chance to make a name of herself since she wasn't seen as 'special' enough to accomplish VIGIL's missions of her own. Making the logical conclusion that she should be given more chances to prove herself to break that evil circle. Besides, it wasn't like she could think of anyone more qualified for this task right now. No one in VIGIL knew much about Thariza, her relationship with Ambrosia or her people, than what Wenomir had just told the catgirl. So why not Blanche?

The sorceress nod after a few moments of consideration. "Yes... tell Thariza that you like to talk to her separately simply to confirm Ambrosia's story. Make sure to ensure them that it isn't like we don't trust them. It's simply standard procedure. Then you can express our concerns to her privately and see how she responds." She looks at Blanche. "What do you think of that approach?"

20. - Top - End - #80

[Cessie's Office]

"That's... unfortunate. What would your recommendation be in this case? We could always try to send someone there to talk to him physically." Which made Cessie wish they had Sophie on their payroll. They hadn't had the best luck with diplomacy in recent... well, she couldn't think of a single time diplomacy had worked out for them right now.
    [Cessie's Office]

"Under ordinary circumstances, this is when I would advocate involuntary commitment." Khafir replies briskly. "Quire has clearly hit a wall in his ability to think rationally, and presents a danger to himself and others." She taps her fingers rhythmically against her clipboard. "However, these are not ordinary circumstances. Quire is not an ordinary patient, and Skyside is not an ordinary place. Sending someone to collect him presents a substantial risk, potentially an unacceptably high one. As much as ethics demand we treat him, the health of one man is not worth the life of another."

[Eun's Lab]

The girl on the screen appears lost in thought when Eun asks her. "Artifact? Oh, you mean the machine of which I'm partial copy of a copy of. Yes, it does seem likely that just as I was made to connect to a human, my creators would've made a way for humans to connect to me."

"A wireless protocol. You know, as an alternative to having wires attached to your head", her sister adds, poking right side of her holographic head to invoke the image of someone plugging an adapter there.

"If you're wondering why I don't have wires attached to my head, it's because that would be redundant. I get the same information from a hidden layer of this simulation that precedes this visual presentation of myself as a human... good grief, it sounds so complex when you say it aloud." Technically nothing is hidden from Eun. She could, at any moment, pull up the cellular automaton layer of the AI and see exactly what it is doing down to the hardware layer.

"Me, I'm just not showing them to you", the holographic girl notes. "When I brought up trying to grow a real human using these blueprints, I was actually thinking of what machine parts you would need to add to her to connect her to me. I didn't know there would already be a communication interface there by default. I don't know whether these genes are active in this simulation, or what they are doing. I don't think I'm benefiting of them, but the only way to know for sure would be to simulate another copy of myself without them for comparison."
    [Eun's Lab]

"Another copy?" Eun asks, a look of concern going across her face. "...I suppose we might be able to do something like that. I'm a little wary of making another mobile AI we don't know very much about, but if she's stationary like you-" she points to the first Lightbearer, "then most of those concerns are irrelevant. You don't seem to be able to break out and potentially cause havok, I don't see how another version of you with fewer features could manage it." She rubs her finger against her chin as she ponders this out. "And bonus, you'd have someone to talk to when your sister and I aren't here. I know you've got ways of keeping entertained, but just sitting here on your own has got to get boring eventually."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-03-28 at 08:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eun's lab]

The girl on the screen shrugs. "Sis only means a copy of her simulated human self. Technically, an increase in available memory and processing power would be enough. But, I guess if you have a spare laptop around, it would be easier for me to run that simulation."

The holographic girl bites her lip and thinks. "Hmmm, true. Plus, that way I get to keep all projector time to myself."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

[Dragon Storm - Private Talks]

"From what I remember of Thariza's file before everything went to hell, she used to be a soldier. Her whole society is militaristic. So maybe you'll find common ground this way," Wenomir suggests.

[DRAGON STORM - Outside]

Thariza nods.

"Thanks again for upgrading the bike. This could have got really ugly if I hadn't got here as quickly as I did. And, well, if you want to find out more about the place where you ended up, this isn't a bad place to start."

23. - Top - End - #83

[Eun's lab]

The girl on the screen shrugs. "Sis only means a copy of her simulated human self. Technically, an increase in available memory and processing power would be enough. But, I guess if you have a spare laptop around, it would be easier for me to run that simulation."

The holographic girl bites her lip and thinks. "Hmmm, true. Plus, that way I get to keep all projector time to myself."
    [Eun's Lab]

"Oh. Well... yeah, still." Eun flushes. "I'll just go grab another burner. This should only take a minute."

And with that, she's out the door.

Though she is gone for more than a minute. She decided to print off another parallel processor like the first one, too, just to be certain they're not going to be stuck with a painfully slow simulation.

When Eun finally returns, it's with another laptop, on another cart, with a USB cable already connected. "Okay. Get ready for another sister." She quips (ha! She quipped. Nice.) and plugs it into the first laptop.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

24. - Top - End - #84

[Bird Hunting]

Lapis doesn't really know types of birds, either.

Her job is to chase birds out of VIGIL it doesn't matter what sorts of birds they are. Or at least that'll be her job until someone tells her it is time to stop.

Honestly kind of surprising that it has been going on for so long.

"Miss do you mind if we take this picture Miss Felicity wanted to do science things at it to find out what the Boss Bird is," Lapis explains, her eyes still firmly fixed on the bird. She's even allowed herself to unfold just a little bit, allowing her eyes to shine through. Orbs of stellar darkness ringed in pure starlight, burning bright. This way they won't get all watery and then she'll have to blink and the Boss Bird will vanish again!

If she's given permission to leave with the painting she'll head straight out the door with it, eyes still fixes on the painting.

No WAY she's letting the bird get away this time!

She'll sort of... bump into Felicity on the way out. Since she's holding the painting and not looking at anything else.

"Oh, um, do we take it back to the labs now Miss Felicity? So you can do science things with it?" Lapis asks. And then, because she doesn't want to bump into things some more, she decides to unfold just a LITTLE more and open up her other eyes. That way she can keep looking at the Boss Bird AND see where she's going! Her face takes on a form that's slightly more avian and draconic alike, seven little horns poking out of her hair which has taken on an appearance like smokey black obsidian that occasionally shimmers with blue iridescence, motes of golden sunlight drifting through it. Five more eyes open, three on each side of her face and a seventh on her brow just below her central horn. Four eyes are firmly fixed on the Boss Bird while the other three focus on watching where she's going.

Lapis isn't going to make the same mistake she made last time!

"You aren't getting away this time, Boss Bird!"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-03-28 at 09:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Dragon Storm - Command Center]

Lapis is smiling all big!

But as she reads the confusion of Mia's expression that smile slowly falters.

"Um..."

Like a suit?

She doesn't think it's like different clothing she puts on since she does put on different clothing sometimes. Mostly just her VIGIL support staff uniform but other things too!

"No? Like... you're more than one thing but you're still Mia, right? Like you're a healer! And you make robots! And other things! You can be all those things you are at the same time! And I'm a little girl and a seraph, but I can't be both of those things at the same time. They don't fit at once."

It's so hard to explain the other directions to people who don't understand them so Lapis decides maybe it would be better if she just shows Mia?

The little girl blossoms.

That's a poetic way to put it.

Just sort of blooming like a flower, except more and more and more dragon-magpie-glass-star keeps coming out, unfolding and unfurling as the little girl is folded up like hyper-dimensional origami and put away. It's difficult to describe Lapis' unbound form in specific words. She is certainly like things but in a lot of ways it's like trying to describe the way that a cloud might be like things. She's incredibly abstract.

Like a dragon, might without match.
    Like a magpie, iridescent enthusiasm for life.
    Like glass, hard and sharp and sure of purpose.
    Like a star, brilliant in her radiant existence.

As time passes the universe seems to slowly start making sense of her and her features gradually become more concrete.

"See?" the seraph asks. "I can't be both at the same time. But both are me."

It's odd, Mia doesn't wear official Vigil clothing. (I don't even think there is a dresscode for that.) Right now she wears a classic mechanic overall. The only difference to a usual overall are the metal symbols that much likly have a meaning in her homeworld but not here.

As Lapis bursts into her seraph form Mia is making ajump backwards. her expression filled with fear as the girl suddendly gets falted away and replaced by the undefined beeing. Thats scary in a way and even more if it comes out of nowhere. In Panic mia holds her hands up front in defense and some of the mentioned runes detach themself from her clothing. The runes become small robots that split up into 4 corners, creating a barrier between the seraph and the priestress. It needs quiet a few moments befor the hard breathing priestress has calmed herself down to speak, still holding her hands up front with the screen still in place.

"You can't do that out of nowhere. You scared me."
    she says, not really reacting to the seraphs conclusion.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

26. - Top - End - #86

There is, apparently, a uniform for the support staff. But that's mostly grounds keepers, and cooks, and other workers. Not the actual heroes and adventurers of VIGIL.

And then?

Mia has a bit of a frighten.

Lapis' reaction is immediate.

"Oh no I didn't say the thing! Umm um... Don't be scared! No that's- Do not be afraid! Yeah!"

The seraph sits down on her haunches, spreads her wings regally, and radiates deep peace and calm like a star sheds light.

"Do not be afraid."

There!

She really should have done that first Mother says it's really important otherwise people get extra scared.

27. - Top - End - #87

[DRAGON STORM - Outside]

((I'm going treat Spako separately time-wise as Deathkeeper was partly skipped a few times.))

Ambrosia had thought Spako would simply leave with Wenomir but his inquiry makes her suddenly turn and look at him with renewed interest that likely only he recognize. Dragon expressions were subtle at best.
    She looks to Thariza and Utoya. "Hold that thought and excuse me a moment, I'm going to inhabit my human body so I can give Mister Highclaws my notes."
    The dragon spreads her wings wide, their sheer size causing more disturbance as the updraft their movements create cause clothes to be tucked and loose vegetation to fly up.

But with that gust of wind the dragon is suddenly gone.

Well, not quite as her eyes are still visible as purple orbs and if one peer hard enough one might still make out her scales and wings faintly. As if she had almost turned invisible. Then she starts moving and seemingly shrink, though as she's so hard to make out and the whole process only takes a few seconds its easy to miss. But the human Ambrosia suddenly opens her mouth and those that are peering hard enough can actually see a drastically smaller dragon entering through the mouth and disappear into her somehow.
    The tome which previously hang around dragon-Ambrosia's neck appears in the holster of her armor once more.

Then she starts to stir in the motorbike and eventually, with her eyes still closed, opens the door and steps out. Only then does she open her eyes as she picks up her tome and start to flip through it's pages. Or more accurately, she pushes some of the pages aside and they seemingly start to move on their own. As the pages continues flipping Ambrosia walks up to Spako and by the time she's reached him the pages have abruptly stopped on pages filled with sketches of runes as well as notes of their use. Some only seem to be speculations as there are question marks here and there but Spako will likely have a better understanding of them than anyone else as he's a runemage. They're properly quite different from his own, being from different settings and all, but even across universes there seem to at least be some commonality in what's sketched in here and his own work.

But their relative unknown nature just means there's more to learn, right?

"This is what I've managed to sketch up. Since you harbor such a dislike from them then perhaps you will be pleased that I had to hold a few of them for hours so they could be drawn." She smiles at the kobolt. "They were not terribly happy about that." The ultimate fate of those demons she won't share it seems however as she leaves the tome with Spako and turns to Thariza and Utoya again. Thariza can be now tell that despite still smiling the scholar looks exhausted and even Utoya can probably guess as much too.

"Ah... yes, as you were saying Utoya. I'm glad that everything could be resolved peacefully. But it's... well... thanks to you two and vigil it could be." It seems like she had to pause simply to consider her words for a moment there.

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie is silent for a moment as she isn't sure if she would agree with this assessment or not. Then an idea seems to occur to her. "Normally, risking ones life is a part of the job description for those who work here but perhaps we should consider our approach for this one. Do you think it would be possible, considering his unstable nature, to make him come to us instead? To provoke him somehow?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-03-28 at 11:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie is silent for a moment as she isn't sure if she would agree with this assessment or not. Then an idea seems to occur to her. "Normally, risking ones life is a part of the job description for those who work here but perhaps we should consider our approach for this one. Do you think it would be possible, considering his unstable nature, to make him come to us instead? To provoke him somehow?"
    [Cessie's Office]

"Theoretically possible, yes, but perhaps unwise." Khafir straightens. "I should mention again that this man has a long history of running covert operations. If sufficiently provoked, he may come here personally... or he may not, but choose to retaliate through some as-of-yet-unseen avenue." She tilts her head slightly, turning just a bit, as though admiring the wall. "My understanding is that this base was a recent acquisition. I would advise against any course of action which would demand replacing it so soon."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #89

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie raises an eyebrow at that last comment. "We've dealt with more dangerous entities than him as far as I can tell. But there's ways to mitigate his desire for our destruction. Is there something we could bait him to steal perhaps? Try to give me of an idea of his new personality if you can."

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show

Cessie taps her finger against the table as she hears them out. Sounded like Blanche would at least be okay with doing this, but like she said. She wasn't a trained diplomat. Just a soldier doing her job. However, she had noticed that Blanche seemed sometimes seemed to be disregarded by the other members somewhat in the sense that besides her expertise at the battlefield, medical training and excellent marksmanship she had no 'special' qualities like a lot of others within VIGIL had.

But perhaps that was the wrong way to look at things. An alternative interpretation was that Blanche was disregarded as she simply hadn't had a chance to make a name of herself since she wasn't seen as 'special' enough to accomplish VIGIL's missions of her own. Making the logical conclusion that she should be given more chances to prove herself to break that evil circle. Besides, it wasn't like she could think of anyone more qualified for this task right now. No one in VIGIL knew much about Thariza, her relationship with Ambrosia or her people, than what Wenomir had just told the catgirl. So why not Blanche?

The sorceress nod after a few moments of consideration. "Yes... tell Thariza that you like to talk to her separately simply to confirm Ambrosia's story. Make sure to ensure them that it isn't like we don't trust them. It's simply standard procedure. Then you can express our concerns to her privately and see how she responds." She looks at Blanche. "What do you think of that approach?"
    [Dragon Storm - Private Talks]

"From what I remember of Thariza's file before everything went to hell, she used to be a soldier. Her whole society is militaristic. So maybe you'll find common ground this way," Wenomir suggests.

Blanche nods. "I think I would be comfortable doing that. Anything I should keep in mind should she ask for any reassurances or concessions in return? Access to materials, what kind of people we'd assign to assessing any mental or magical hold, ways to prove that we won't try anything underhanded while doing it?" It seems important to know what levels of leeway and negotiation she can offer if she's going to do this effectively and not accidentally screw over the Commanders.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!