New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Bring to bear... all the bear.

So, I've occasionally mentioned the (almost totally stolen) idea of - bear with me - a furry ursine Druid, combining green bond summoning, training their animal companion, boosting their healing power, neglecting saddles, contracting lycanthropy, and Vow of Nudity, who is a bareback war bear riding, barely-recognizable bear-summoning, bare naked anthropomorphized bear / werebear care bear.

I've grown curious - has anyone ever run a character that bears even the slightest resemblance to this?

(It occurs to me that, while initially a 3e D&D "build", one could make a "bareback war bear riding, barely-recognizable bear-summoning, bare naked anthropomorphized bear / werebear care bear" in other systems, even if few give a good reason for the summoned bears to be barely recognizable, so I've put it in "Roleplaying" rather than "3e". You know, just in case.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bring to bear... all the bear.

Well, I mean the werebear care bear thing is already kind of implied by the base werebear template, which turns you lawful good
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-05-17 at 11:23 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I have heard of people doing this in D&D.

And i have seen similar characters in other systems. Generally not druids though (because shapechanging, animal summoning and animal companions might being druid stuff is pretty D&D) and often for other animals as well (wolfs, snakes, monkeys, certain dinosausrs).

So yes, not really an uncommon character concept.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This is very easy to do in Pathfinder by simply playing a Coldborn Skinwalker and Child of Hope Druid (the latter is third party, but a commonly used 3rd party supplement). A regular Sphere Druid works just as well.

Notable Bear Sphere abilities:
    Bearer of Bad News
    Grin and Bear It
    Paws and Reflect
    Teddy Bear
    Bear Arms
    Arm Bears
    Bear With Me
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-05-18 at 03:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Somewhat related:
    The People vs Dr Muller, a (fictional) case about the right to bear arms. Also bear feet and bear faces.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2022-05-18 at 11:24 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

We need to bear more bears… IN SPACE!!

(While you did mention 3.5 in passing towards the end but you neglected to restrict systems)

Mongoose Traveller, as a good number of you might know, is a sci fi game. What a smaller number of you might know is Mindjammer; a mongoose Traveller clone with its own setting with sci fi fantasy dieled up… just a little

Among the oblitory cat and squid people are ursine people. That’s right! You too can play an anthropomorphic bear! If you min max your traits right you can play a bear bear with post human intelligence!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Shardik, who saved the children.
    The story of a bear (and some of the people that a bear met along the way).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-05-25 at 09:53 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society