New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: (IC) An Unceasing Hunger [Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf]

Jim watches the man jump into the tree and away with not a small amount of awe. How did he just get. The agility, the strength, the what the Dickens! Still, no time for praising the wierd guy and looks seriously hurt. He knew it was a person but yet that just didn't seem right. Boring another person like that and then to be off into the trees.

"Holy cow! Are you ok? Stupid question sorry. Look, let's get out of here before it comes back!" He looks around for sight of the man. Then offers out his arm "Do you want to lean on me? I'm Jim by the way."

Spoiler: Jim
    Show
    Blood tokens: 5
    Item: multitool with torch
    Dressed: Comfy waking boots, loose cargo trousers, loose t-shirt and lightweight waterproof coat
    Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2022-04-03 at 11:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Slightly trembling, Carine has to actively keep herself from just going limp and sliding to the ground. Still, instead, she just lowers her spade and stumbles forward to give Jim, apparently, a tight, grateful hug. It feels like the right thing to do. Hey, Jim. I'm Carine and bleeding. I think. she mumbles into his chest, before pulling back to wrap her free arm around Jim, just under his shoulders. She feels like she could throw up if there were anything in her stomach. Walking away does not promise to be a pleasant experience. The **** was that thing? she asks as she tries to limp down the slope with Jim's aid. He bit me! He tried to bite my ****ing leg off! she adds with a sudden bout of terror in her voice.

Spoiler: Carine
    Show

Blood tokens: 4/5
    Item: folding spade (equipped)
    Other belongings: white one-shoulder T-shirt, light gray high ankle skinny jeans (now torn), flat thong sandals

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Don't worry Carine, we'll sort that bleeding out soon. As to what it was... I thought it was a person. They looked familiar but the way they moved away and to have done that to your leg. To be honest, I'm doubting myself." As he says this, he keeps checking back in a nervous way. Looking for any signs of the creatures return.

As light as Carine was, he was wishing he'd been to the gym more often, but it annoyed him when various people made jokes around 'Jim' and 'gym'.

"You know that was quite the hit you got on him back there. It should have slowed him down a bit that's for sure! Gives us plenty of time to get back to the lodge. Another woman's already on her way there to get help. So why don't you tell me about yourself and what you were doing here? Seems a funny place place for waking in sandals." he says, with a feeble chuckle to his voice. It was a terrible way to change the subject and make her forget and calm down but it was a start. His constant looking around probably wouldn't be helping.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by MaltholLoth View Post
    "Don't worry Carine, we'll sort that bleeding out soon. As to what it was... I thought it was a person. They looked familiar but the way they moved away and to have done that to your leg. To be honest, I'm doubting myself." As he says this, he keeps checking back in a nervous way. Looking for any signs of the creatures return.

As light as Carine was, he was wishing he'd been to the gym more often, but it annoyed him when various people made jokes around 'Jim' and 'gym'.
    Luckily enough for Gy… Which is to say, Jim, if he were struggling under Carine's half-dead weight, she certainly doesn't seem to notice it. She's a bit too scared for that and a bit too happy to learn that she's being dragged to what should be safety. I'll try not to bleed all over you, in the meantime. Carine mumbles dizzily. Even she's not sure whether this is legitimate gallows humour or semi-inane rambling. Damn creep. she adds, wincing. He can speak too, weird as that is. Told me creepy stuff.

"You know that was quite the hit you got on him back there. It should have slowed him down a bit that's for sure! Gives us plenty of time to get back to the lodge. Another woman's already on her way there to get help."
    When Jim compliments her troublehitting provess, Carine would probably blush if she had the blood to spare for that (that milky pale skin of hers is pretty good at that, and usually to her chagrin), but she doesn't comment on the comment. It was a triumph of bodily autonomy liberated from under the control of conscious reflexion, but it was also plain old desperate dumb luck. Instead, she goes with a That's good. Help's good.

"So why don't you tell me about yourself and what you were doing here? Seems a funny place place for waking in sandals." he says, with a feeble chuckle to his voice. It was a terrible way to change the subject and make her forget and calm down but it was a start. His constant looking around probably wouldn't be helping.
    Carine's too busy staying conscious to notice the distinct lack of confidence evident from Jim's behaviour, and doesn't quite mind the change of topic.Yeah. That's kind of the point. she mutters dreamily. Suspending reasond intention. Letting stuff flow. I'm kind of trying to collapse the split between the projected Self and my Id to get back in tune with it and myself. It's a self-discovery thing. she explains. Also, I was kind of thrown off a train and I've got no ****ing idea where I am right now. the girl adds, half-closing her eyes. What about you? I don't suppose you're here to do the knight in shining raincoat routine.

Show

Other belongings: white one-shoulder T-shirt, light gray high ankle skinny jeans (now torn), flat thong sandals
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-04 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Â.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chelsea circles her footwear warily, keeping her distance and vigilance. For all her scrutiny, she can see nothing amiss aside from the bit of twine wrapped around them and, now that she's looking closer, tied in a neat bow. Above her is only open skies, any large trees having been cleared away for the parking lot where she had parked her moped, and the ground around them is clear of any refuse or obscuring needles. Nothing but the flip-flops so far as Chelsea can spot. However, as she continues to examine the situation she finds herself in, she hears a noise off in the distance coming from the direction of the lodge. The unmistakable sound of metal rending with the force of a powerful impact.

While Chelsea examines the last remaining vestiges of her attire, Jim and Carine are making their way down the slope back in the direction of the cabins. The short trek is relatively uneventful, save for a few hiccups where Carine briefly loses her footing, either from a lack of strength or minor tripping hazards that she can no longer avoid. If her body weren't still heavily filtering physical sensation, the pine needles and small rocks making their way between her feet and sandals would undoubtedly be a nuisance. In any event, both Carine and Jim make it down the slope and to the path that ambles behind the cabins, leaving them a choice of direction, the two most apparent being toward the cabins or down the trail in the direction of the lodge where they might meet up with that woman Jim had mentioned.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

This was an odd situation for sure. The fact that someone had taken all of Chelsea's belongings, yet left her shoes there tied up in a bow was bizarre, to say the least. Still dripping wet, she peered at the flip flops. They clearly were safe enough to get and not part of some sick trap. She was wasting time and needed to get to the lodge since her cell phone was stolen.

Just as she was about to step forward to collect her shoes, she heard that sound of a huge impact and metal rending, coming from behind her. That must be toward the lodge! Did someone crash their car into something?? Oh no. Was the crazy guy already over there doing something? But that seemed awfully fast. Maybe there was more than one crazy person?

Spoiler: totally unnecessary and contrived galaxy brain thinking
    Show
    That's when Chelsea had an idea. It may have been a brilliant idea. It may also have been an utterly stupid idea, earning her the title of first slasher victim in this comically strange series of events that seemed more and more like a horror flick.

Whoever was doing this, whoever was hurting people and messing with Chelsea left those shoes for her. They wanted her to have them. They expected her to take them. Any sane person in Chelsea's position would take them back! But what if she didn't? Well that would have meant one thing. For whatever reason, she didn't come this way! Perhaps, one of the cabins were closer?

As the wheels in Chelsea's head were turning, she realized she was still wasting yet more time. Yes, let's do this! By not taking her flip flops, whoever is out there would eventually see them again and then think she hadn't come this way. But Chelsea did and she was going to the lodge, all along! The idea was so crazy, that it just might work! All she had to do was not be seen.

After some inner debate and turmoil, Chelsea decides to leave the flip flops exactly as they were, and she slowly makes her way into the woods, crouching behind trees and beneath underbrush when available. She was attempting to sneak towards the lodge using an unconventional route.. by keeping well off the trails and hiding behind cover. Frequently, she stops when she thinks she has a good spot to look around and listen.

Spoiler: Chelsea
    Show
    Blood Tokens: 5
    items: bikini
    -excellent swimmer

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What you said before saying 'self discovery' that kind of lost me, but knowing yourself, what you can achieve and such. That is good. As much as my, just getting out of town and into fresh air is all that I was doing goes... I'll happily swap that to knight in shining raincoat. So don't worry about bleeding on me." he says, glad she seems upbeat. With some wierd biting fiend around though, he wishes he could swap raincoat for armour.

As they approach the different route options, and no sign of the crazed person, he decides to check on Carine. "Well, how are you feeling? Think you can keep going to the lodge or do you want to stop here at the cabins. It seems one was broken into so we can get you in there and see if we can find something. Although I'm no medic and if you're up for it, getting to the lodge will be better as I'm sure they'll be better equipped.".

Show
    Dressed: Comfy waking boots, loose cargo trousers, loose t-shirt and lightweight waterproof coat

8. - Top - End - #38

"What you said before saying 'self discovery' that kind of lost me, but knowing yourself, what you can achieve and such. That is good. As much as my, just getting out of town and into fresh air is all that I was doing goes... I'll happily swap that to knight in shining raincoat. So don't worry about bleeding on me." he says, glad she seems upbeat.
    That last sentence earns a weak smile and a friendly headbumbp for Jim's shoulder. It's nifty indeed. The discover thyself stuff, I mean. Netted me this spade too. The second best random purchase I made in my whole ****ing life. she responds.

"Well, how are you feeling? Think you can keep going to the lodge or do you want to stop here at the cabins. It seems one was broken into so we can get you in there and see if we can find something. Although I'm no medic and if you're up for it, getting to the lodge will be better as I'm sure they'll be better equipped.".
    It is at this point, around the cabins that some disturbing thoughts begin to linger on the fringes of Carine's cloudy mind. Jim's been supremely helpful so far and between that oafish conductor and the Leaping Ripper he's absolutely the single most charming human being she's met in a while. She really wants to just blindly trust him, but then: what if he's in league with the Ripper? What he'd said about bleeding and soldiering on, could it really just mean "don't you mind me, little Carine Laplace, go on, bleed some more"? What if there is no lodge? What if he's just going to drag her about until she's too weak to flail around with harmless looking implements? Carine tries to gulp, but her mouth is way too dry for that to work out.

But first things first. I feel like ****. she confides. Sad, wet ****. I kind of wanna puke and maybe faint or something. she adds with a wince. Could we at least dress the wound? Think I'd rather keep my blood inside my body for now.

Show

Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-05 at 10:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Perhaps that leg was hurting more than he thought, maybe the lodge would have been too far but his will the help find them? Hmm, getting the sound dressed was probably a safe bet so the same. "Right you are, I'm pretty sure that it was this cabin over here..." he says walking to the smashed glass cabin. He hopes there's a way in, he also hopes that there wasn't more of those people in the cabin as that would be very bad. He'd have to go in first... Please let it be free from such people. "Seconds best random purchase, well, it sounds like there's a story of the first. Please indulge my interest and tell me it!". He wasn't sure if keeping someone in a happy space of mind only delayed shock but coming back to thoughts and questions of that man could wait.

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaving behind her flip-flops, Chelsea begins her trek through the woods barefoot. The journey is slow and uncomfortable. Her feet are assaulted by the pricking, jabbing, and other discomforts brought on by the needles and other detritus underfoot. Stopping when she has some cover to ensure that the coast is clear certainly slows her travel, but it seems the correct decision. After passing over roughly a quarter of the distance between the lake and the lodge, Chelsea has stopped herself amid a relatively small leafy shrub growing in the clearing created by a fallen pine. In this span of hypervigilance, she hears the sounds of shuffling needles in a regular rhythm, the sound of someone moving from the direction of the lodge.
    Hunkering down and trying to be as invisible as possible, Chelsea needs only to wait a few seconds before seeing the source of the stride. Coming into the clearing, only a stone's throw away, is what she can only assume is the same individual who attacked that woman. Although the jacket has been torn, he seems to be wearing the same running suit. The torn portion of the jacket leaves him with just what is above his lower ribs and the sleeves. His abdomen has been left bare, and Chelsea can see that his midsection has been tightly wrapped with bandages. The second thing she notices is that the man is walking in an odd hunched squat with his arms just inches above the ground. Occasionally he bends lower, grabs a handful of loose earth and pine needles, and brings them up to his nose before he tosses it aside and continues moving, his head turning and eyes flicking about. At one moment, the man's head turns toward the bush Chelsea is hiding in, and he seems to lock eyes with her. In a flash of recognition, she realizes this man is, or at the very least looks almost exactly like, Shia LaBeouf. Whatever use that revelation may have, Chelsea is currently hidden in a bush with an aggressive, cannibalistic man eying up her hiding place with a degree of suspicion.

Carine and Jim's experience, by contrast, is far more mundane. Nearing the slew of shattered glass inspires an excess of caution regarding Carine's barely protected feet. Still, nonetheless, Jim can see that the windowsill is only about waist high off the ground, a relatively simple obstacle to surmount. However, the window frame is still littered with shards of glass, and any attempt to climb through without dealing with those would certainly risk some significant lacerations. Looking through the portal, they can see a bedroom in a state of extraordinary disarray. However, that window seems to become less of an issue when looking around the front of the cabin unveils that the front door is not only open but seems to be missing entirely. If either member of the duo were to cast their gaze along the row of cabins, they would see that this is the only one of the structures lacking its front door like this.

11. - Top - End - #41

It's kind of a long one, starring a one-way coach ticket. Got it way overpriced at a charitable garage auction thing. Carine answers drowsily, watching her feet and clinging even more closely to Jim as he navigates them through the treacherous sea of glass. Might tell you if we, like, live. which will hopefully serve as a god incentive for Jim not to feed her to madmen anytime soon. Hopefully.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. So no thinking otherwise." Jim replies as they come round and can see the open doorway. He is greatly relieved to not be having to climb through that window but the same can't be said for the lack of door. Still, it makes it easier for Carine and that's possibly what matters right now. "Best let me go first, unless you really want to..?" he says jokingly, and turns with a smile but moves on before she can reply.

As he approaches the entrance (and on entering if nothing outside), he'll look for anything that can be used as an improvised weapon, broken lengths of stuff, heavy but still able to wield items, sharp pointy things with a nice bit to hold.

Takes a slow calming breath to try and settle his nerves. "Hello... Anyone in here?" he calls through the opening which he gingerly approaches, trying to peer inside and we eight there's anyone just inside that's hiding to either side.

Show
    Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2022-04-06 at 09:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

This wasn't so bad, Chelsea told herself. But after the first five minutes she was already starting to regret this. Well, maybe she was at least more silent this way? Less likely to accidentally snap a twig or something. Because she'd definitely feel it first...

Well, too late now. As she hid in a leafy shrub, she heard someone approaching. It definitely appeared to be the man that attacked that woman too! Wait.. was that Shia LaBeouf?!?

No way. No way! Chelsea probably would have leaped out and asked for his autograph, had she not just witnessed him attack a woman and take a bite out of her leg! He was acting like an animal too, sniffing the dirt. What the hell? Was this all some elaborate prank or.. no. No! It was far, far more likely that this celebrity was high off his mind on crack or something.

When Shia began eying her cover suspiciously, Chelsea froze. Oh no. Did he actually know somehow?? She held her breath, she tried to stay perfectly still.. she tried not to even blink! Even the smallest bit of movement could give her away. And then what would happen??

Show
    -excellent swimmer
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-04-06 at 10:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jim steps up onto the small porch of the cabin, eyes peeled for anything weapon-like or out of the ordinary. There are the remains of a wooden rocking chair on the porch itself, the rockers being the only thing remaining that could be used to identify the pile of shattered wood as once a chair at all. Inside the building, the lights are on though one of the bulbs in the ceiling fixture is flickering. Stepping inside, Jim can see what happened to the door. It's sitting about five feet from the doorway, its hinges having been ripped from the doorframe by immense force. The room itself is a general-purpose communal space, with a small kitchen on the far wall, a dining area just to the right of that, and a modest seating area with a fireplace directly to the right of the entryway. Near the fallen door, to the left, is an unlit hallway where Jim can see at least one closed door. The kitchen is in a complete state of disarray. There are metal utensils, including knives, and various vegetables strewn across the floor, the door to the fridge is slightly open, and Jim can see that the electric stove was left on from the small activity light glowing near the knobs. The eating area is little better. A series of plastic plates and the sad remains of hotdogs lie on the ground in front of the table, whose top is pointed toward the main door. In the space behind the table on the rightmost wall is another door that currently hangs slightly open.

Meanwhile, in the direction of the lodge, Chelsea is holding stock-still within the bush that is her only cover from the murderous man with his eyes trained directly at her position. Slowly, he turns his body toward her and slowly approaches the obscuring mass of plants. Shia steps ever closer with his head tilted, and Chelsea can see his nostrils flare as he sniffs at the air. After what seems like hours, Shia is close enough that Chelsea is all but sure he knows she's there, and she must decide her response to the threat. However, before she can formulate a thought, Shia's eyes widen, and his head suddenly snaps to face the lake. Without a moment's hesitation, he turns on his heels and sprints into the woods. Chelsea can see that after about three steps, Shia bends, dropping his hands to the ground and running with all limbs with speed far beyond what any person should be able to achieve.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As they approach the door, keeping his eyes fixed on the doorway, Jim crouches down and picks up the chair rocker before standing and holding it as a rifle with bayonet. He looks at himself for a moment and feels foolish. "Beggars can't be choosers" he musta under his breath.

Peering each way through the door, he's relieved by the lack of people or other sights. He walks in, and moves towards the kitchen area. Laying the chair rocker on the side he picks up a larger one of the knives.

"Did you want that as a crutch?" he says turning to Carine and indicating to the piece of wood. He then quickly opens the draws and cupboards in case of a first aid kit being around. "I'm going to put the door back up and lean it against the frame while we sort your leg out and check the other rooms" he says as he finishes his search.

Show

Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2022-04-09 at 06:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Chelsea remains completely still for the whole time, even for a moment after Shia ran off. Finally she relaxes, all but collapsing to the forest floor and taking a breath.

God that was close! That's the psycho.. Shia LaBeouf. But what in the Hell was wrong with him??

For all the urgency she thought there was in getting to the lodge and calling for help, her instincts to at least try to get there undetected seemed to pay off. Had she been spotted by that crazed celebrity, there was probably no escaping him.

After a minute of trying to gather her composure, she stands up again and wipes the pine needles from her butt. She continues her off-road trek toward the lodge, although not quite as slowly and stealthily, seeing as the culprit whom she thought was behind all this just launched himself in the direction of the lake. She figured she would at least have time to get close to the lodge before she saw him again.

Show
    -excellent swimmer

17. - Top - End - #47

Carine, resting her head against the doorframe opens her eyes when she's addressed and her gaze settles on the rocker. You're a marvelous crutch, Jim. she reassures the man in a soft mumble. I can give that a shot, though, if you want. With no danger immediately apparent, she carefully enters, limping towards the closest intact chair-adjacent object, her mind mainly filled with thoughts of how appetizing those hotdogs must have looked not long ago. Any luck with finding bandage and stuff? she inquires, as she lowers herself on the first thing that looks like it'll support her weight. I'll settle for a dishtowel or something, if it comes fast.

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Jim scrounges through the remains of the kitchen, Carine sinks into the loveseat facing the empty fireplace, her eyes lingering on the remains of the hot dogs for what may be considered by some to be longer than usual. Meanwhile, Jim pulls open drawers and cupboards, finding some of them empty but most containing at least a bit of something. A drawer holds a series of informative nature pamphlets, a cabinet holds various basic plastic dishware, and another includes some basic cooking vessels. The last two drawers Jim pulls open are likely the most useful. In one are stacks of neatly folded cloth dish towels and in the other is a sterile white box emblazoned with a red cross, a first aid kit. The only issue is that someone has clearly already made use of the contents, as evidenced by the various medical goods left loose outside the box. The roll of gauze has been removed from its sterile packaging and partially used, a box of adhesive bandages has its contents spilled along the bottom of the drawer, and a small bottle of iodine antiseptic has been opened and left about half-full. What is present in the kit itself is unfortunately limited. A few alcohol wipes, a single absorbent compress, a small bottle of painkillers, a chemical cold-pack, a pair of latex gloves, a single-use thermometer, a sealed, sterile pair of tweezers, and a few gauze pads. It's not much, but it may be enough to at least stop Carine's bleeding with some time and effort.

Back toward the lodge, Chelsea has begun moving again after her near encounter with Shia. This time she sacrificed stealth for speed and was making reasonably good time, though still suffering the ill effects of walking wild earth without footwear. If Chelsea were to stop and check her feet, she would undoubtedly find innumerable minor scrapes and cuts on her soles. Still, she presses forward until she finds herself faced with an obstacle. Before her is a deep ravine cutting across her path, carved into the soil by a small stream. The resulting chasm is over fifteen feet wide, and the slope on either side is nearing the limits of a human's ability to walk on without climbing aids. As for aids, there are some woody plants that Chelsea may be able to hold for support, but their steadfastness is questionable, and they aren't spaced closely together. Crossing the ravine by any means short of a bridge would be a challenge, but now that she is considering it, Chelsea remembers crossing just such a bridge when she arrived in the park. Trekking over to the main road to cross the bridge is certainly an option, but Chelsea knows that it would leave her exposed and visible for as long as she is on paved ground. On the plus side, it would be a brief reprieve from the constant assault against the soles of her feet.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I don't mind being a crutch for you. Just thought you may want something else." Jim says with a smile, "We do have 'some' things, should be fine in no time.". Jim assesses what there is and thinks on his first aid training from over the years in the different jobs. This did not seem like one of the normal things they covered but perhaps it was if he thought of it as just a cut. He puts the knife down, doubles back to grab a cup or a jug then moves to the sink and fills it with water before returning to the draws. From there he slings several of the towels over his shoulder and grabs the painkillers before walking over to Carine.

"Here, it's probably best if you have something to drink, and these may take the edge off" he hands the drink and painkillers over, and goes back to the first aid kit. From there he pockets the alcohol wipes and other gauze pads, puts the gloves on, picks up the knife again along with the roll of gauze, iodine, and the compress.

He looks over at Carine, she is not like most others he's met before, and to his eyes, seems fashionable. "Darling I'm sorry, but that bite hole is just so last season! I think I'm going to have to alter your trousers, now do you want me to tatter the bottoms of both legs so they match or... Cut them high on thay one leg so it mimics your top?" as he says this in a flamboyant way and gestures with the knife.

He goes and crouches before Carine. Looks up into her eyes "Now this will probably hurt" and with that her tears the trouser leg to get better access to the wound. He pulls out one of the alcohol wipes then pours a bit of the iodine onto the bite and goes it over with the wipe. Applying the absorbent pad first followed by one of the towels he wraps it to the leg in the gauze roll which he ties off before looking back up at Carine's face with relief that it was done.

"So, shall we check the other rooms?" standing as he says this and offers Carine a hand to stand up.

20. - Top - End - #50

"I don't mind being a crutch for you. Just thought you may want something else." Jim says with a smile, "We do have 'some' things, should be fine in no time.".
    No, seriously. You're perfect. Carine mutters smiling back. For now, she's almost pleased with her lot. The loveseat's a good enough reprieve, and she might just get kind of fixed. Life can certainly get better than that, mostly on days when half her calf doesn't get bitten off, but if anyone, she can value the moment, the fleeting, the ephemeral as it is.

Jim assesses what there is and thinks on his first aid training from over the years in the different jobs. This did not seem like one of the normal things they covered but perhaps it was if he thought of it as just a cut. He puts the knife down, doubles back to grab a cup or a jug then moves to the sink and fills it with water before returning to the draws. From there he slings several of the towels over his shoulder and grabs the painkillers before walking over to Carine.

"Here, it's probably best if you have something to drink, and these may take the edge off" he hands the drink and painkillers over, and goes back to the first aid kit. From there he pockets the alcohol wipes and other gauze pads, puts the gloves on, picks up the knife again along with the roll of gauze, iodine, and the compress.
    She's also well aware that risk breeds reward. That or a lesson, anyhow, and conveniently enough, she is hungry as all hell and in considerable pain. With a simple nod, she chugs the water, swallowing half a handful of pills with it, just in case.

He looks over at Carine, she is not like most others he's met before, and to his eyes, seems fashionable. "Darling I'm sorry, but that bite hole is just so last season! I think I'm going to have to alter your trousers, now do you want me to tatter the bottoms of both legs so they match or... Cut them high on thay one leg so it mimics your top?" as he says this in a flamboyant way and gestures with the knife.

He goes and crouches before Carine. Looks up into her eyes "Now this will probably hurt" and with that her tears the trouser leg to get better access to the wound. He pulls out one of the alcohol wipes then pours a bit of the iodine onto the bite and goes it over with the wipe. Applying the absorbent pad first followed by one of the towels he wraps it to the leg in the gauze roll which he ties off before looking back up at Carine's face with relief that it was done.
    Jim's charade draws a faint but heartfelt chuckle from Carine. Man, I liked these pants. she comments idly as her jeans are shortened for her. But the funny red stuff's harder to replace. So, she meets Jim's gaze, trying to steady herself. shoo… Hsssssssssssssss. She winces and her muscles contract as the spirited wipe hits her wound. Looks like the painkillers weren't the express variety. ****ing ****. That hurt. she says through clenched teeth, shuffling and making weird, fanning motions with her hands a slight bit less feebly than she moved before. Pain does wonders, apparently! Damn. Sorry. I'm happy and thank you and all that. Just gimme a moment and I'll stop whining. she adds, leaning forward a bit, her hair brushing against Jim's face.

"So, shall we check the other rooms?" standing as he says this and offers Carine a hand to stand up.
    A few more swearwords later, the sudden surge of pain finally subsides to a sufficient extent that Carine can catch her breath. Not bleeding should be a huge boon; she doesn't quite feel it yet, though. She can, however, see the bright side of it. She's unlikely to get any worse with every heartbeat that tries to keep her bad leg alive and Jim almost certainly doesn't want to just eat her, after all. Sure. Weren't we kind of running scared, though? she asks as she grabs the man's hand and lets him pull her up.

Show

Other belongings: white one-shoulder T-shirt, light gray high ankle skinny jeans (now slightly redesigned), flat thong sandals, a dishtowel and half a roll of gauze
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-10 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Â.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As Carine's hair brushed his face, it tickles but it makes him forget for just a moment where they are. The flow of swear words reminds him. With Carine back on her feet he replies to her. "We were, but if we take a moment to stop and think, we can see all the more clearly. Besides which, this cabin feels... Odd. I know the whole situation is but I want to answer some questions bugging the back of my mind.".

With that, he'll act as a crutch for Carine as they move through the place. He stops to lean the door up against the frame so as to leave no real gap. Then onto check what's behind the other door.

Show
    Item(s): multitool with torch, cabin kitchen knife, couple of alcoholic wipes
    Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2022-04-11 at 02:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Carine's not entirely convinced she wants to know what lies behind Door 2, but Jim's explanation of his thought process appeals to her: allowing intuition to counterbalance intellect even when it seems to align well with what instinct would demand is a respectable practice. Right. Lead on, shiny knight, and I'll follow wherever you, well, drag me. she relents. Hopefully, by the time they'll get out and into the open, those pills will have started to do their job, and so wasting their time will, in a way, buy them some time.

Show
    Other belongings: white one-shoulder T-shirt, light gray high ankle skinny jeans (now slightly redesigned), flat thong sandals, a dishtowel and half a roll of gauze

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, crap. Chelsea didn't remember this ravine! Or maybe it was simply all too easy to forget about with the modern conveniences of things like trails and bridges.

She considers her options and decides to just carefully traverse down its side. She turns around and effectively gets on all fours as she uses both her feet and hands to carefully guide herself down into the creek below.

Show
    -excellent swimmer

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chelsea carefully begins her descent. Every move made is a painstaking endeavor of testing the next foothold or young sapling to ensure it will not give way with the added force. Twice she must climb horizontally to find a way down, once being a moment when a rock she believed to be a solid foothold broke loose from the soil and resulted in a cascade of stones and earth that left no place to find purchase below her. After several minutes of careful maneuvering, Chelsea finally reaches the bottom of the ravine next to the little stream responsible for this obstacle. Her feet and hands are caked in dirt. Streaks of filth and plant residue coat her arms, legs, and torso, but on the whole, she made it down unharmed. The stream she stands next to is narrow, easily crossed with a particularly large step, and only deep enough at its lowest point to cover Chelsea's feet if she were to enter. Still, the water runs clear across the bed of tiny rocks and stones that the water flow is unable to move.

The pain of disinfectant and torn flesh receding to a dull throb, Carine and her human crutch, who had just replaced the front door as best as he was able, move toward the door sitting ajar near the dining area. They can see that the door has been cracked near the handle, leaving it no longer able to latch correctly. Pulling open the door reveals a simple, homely bathroom. Clean tile floors, wooden walls, and a small window high on the wall that lets the gradually dwindling vestiges of light illuminate the room. The first signs of issues are a simple sink and the shattered mirror above it, especially with the spackling of blood adorning the porcelain countertop. Entering the room slightly allows the duo to see the bathtub, where something is far more clearly out of sorts. The curtain is drawn, obscuring the tub from vision, but the trail of blood just after the toilet and leading up to the basin's edge makes for a clear denotation.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sensing Carine's concern, he holds her that bit tighter and closer. On opening the door to see behind, Jim realises his mistake and swings before Carine and holds her to him. He takes a moment to collect himself. "Wait here a moment." he says softly and steps back. He hoped he appeared reassuring but as he turned into the room, he knew he was far from that.

His heart raced and his senses tingled, he swallowed hard as he reached for the shower curtain. With a slow breathe he pulls back the curtain slowly to look behind.

Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Jim's attempt at getting more palpably protective is not unwelcome and nor is the pain decreasing in intensity. Still, while she's many things (some of them more pleasant than the others), reassured that they are safe in a good place she's not and Jim suddenly deciding she needs shielding from whatever's in the bathroom doesn't help that. She instinctively presses herself closer to the man as slight, fearful tremors begin to run through all her body. At Jim's request, she awkardly nods into his chest, bracing herself against the wall just outside the bathroom, her eyes instinctively searching for something friendly and harmless for comfort.

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Thankfully, Chelsea made about half progress without incident.. though that was maybe only because she was headed down. She took a moment to run her hands and feet through the water to try to get the dirt off, but that was most likely a futile effort seeing as now, she had to get up somehow.

Welp, slow and steady....

Using her hands and feet again, she tried to climb her way up the opposite bank.

Show
    -excellent swimmer

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chelsea begins her journey up the opposite slope, the brief climbing experience from a moment ago already paying off as she does a better job avoiding loose plants and unstable earth. The worst she experiences is a plant coming loose and showering her in bits of dirt and small stones. Regardless, the climb is still several minutes of effort in careful pathfinding and clawing over earth. Chelsea does make her way up to solid ground after much effort and strain and a brief, panic-inducing moment near the end of her climb where she feels the soil beginning to slide out from under her feet, threatening to send her careening back down, undoing all her effort. Luckily, her outstretched hands successfully grab hold of an exposed root, and she can pull herself free of the treacherous embankment. A sacrifice of time for safety, but hopefully a worthwhile exchange.

Back by the lake, Jim draws back the curtain in a drawn-out motion to reveal a large man in a suit slumped against the side of the bathtub, his head lolled over onto his chest. Blood trickles down from his mouth and nose into the water below him, pooling around his legs like an ink stain on paper. His eyes stare vacantly upward, unfocused and unseeing. What catches Jim's attention is not the corpse itself nor the blood dripping from its face. The other things surrounding it draw his gaze, a severed hand lying atop one knee and another clutched tightly between the man's fingers. Both wrists have been chewed through, the nails ripped off, and parts of the flesh chewed away until the bone can be seen. In the same fashion, the man's left foot has also been gnawed nearly clean, apparent bite marks visible in the remaining bits of flesh.

While this happens, Carine supports her weight with the help of the wall, her eyes trailing across the room, eventually leading back to that loveseat and, a moment later, onto the overstuffed recliner sitting right near the fireplace. Indeed, that seat could be defined as the epitome of cozy if it were winter and that fireplace was lit. Any thoughts of limping over and sinking into the cloth embrace of that chair are suddenly shattered by a muffled thud from the opposite end of the cabin. Both Carine and Jim hear the sound, but the former, with one less wall to muffle the noise, can tell that it originated from the bedroom whose window had become a field of broken glass.

29. - Top - End - #59

Drawn to the recliner as if by some hypnotic force (so cozy!), Carine very nearly manages to push herself away from the wall, but life continues not to be kind to her. Upon hearing the ominous thud, she freezes up immediately, feeling her heart rate increase at an alarmingly steady pace, which, in turn, makes the sad remainder of her bitten calf throb all the more noticeably. Trying to get a firm grip on the handle of her spade she whispers a drawn out, panicked Jiiiiiiiiiiiim? at the open bathroom door, aiming (needless to say, unsuccesfully) for some hypothetical subsonic frequency only the two of them can hear.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Jim stares at the body before him. This is what he feared. He feels a wave of nausea pass over him. Why... What... There's extra hands... As much as the blood still dripping from the man's face makes him want to check if he's still alive, he couldn't bring himself to do so. He brings his hand slowly forward, but as the thud noise come from the other room, his hand flinches back.

He leans in, but as hears Carine hiss his name, he moves back to the door. Oh! Was it the door? He looks across but sees the door in place still. "What was that noise?"

Show