New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Moon Knight - New Trailer

New thread, new trailer:

Definitely starting to be interested. I don’t know a thing about the comics, so I have no expectations going in, and Oscar Isaac is really selling it for me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Moon Knight - New Trailer

I expect more people know Moon Knight from memes than from the comics anyway. He's basically "Batman, except with multiple personalities, and sometimes also Egyptian god powers."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I have really never heard of Moon Knight before and this trailer... tells me nothing. I mean, what do you take away from this other than "he's a superhero"? He's jumping over roofs and fighting goons... like every other marvel hero. If I didn't know it was slightly more interesting from the last trailer and the few articles I've seen about it, this would immediately go on the skip list.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So, first episode.

Starts out very slow, mostly rather silly, with some genuinely funny bits later on.

If you enjoy a lot of close-up shots of Oscar Isaac acting, you’ll probably have fun with this.

Spoiler: Night At The Museum
    Show
    They lean hard into the “neurotic lovable loser” angle, and I can probably sympathize more than most because I’ve had a demeaning British boss very much like his.

Otherwise it’s high on the silly meter, with a mildly spooky sequence in a museum after dark, which might have made for a great reveal except we know it’s coming, and the high levels of silliness tend to undercut any tension.

So, as long as you keep your expectations extremely low, and accept that this is not a place for brain exercise, this is mildly entertaining and occasionally funny.

5. - Top - End - #5

Griffon

I'll be interested to see how far they go with this. In the comics, even discounting memes, Moon Knight has occasionally swung between Deadpool-wacky and Punisher-brutal; he's quite happy to maim and kill people who get in his way, often in creative and bloody means.

I don't see that happening in a Marvel TV show, certainly not on Disney+. I half-predict it will be more like Daredevil in that he will be violent but not gratuitous, and I hope that comes true because Daredevil was great and I'd like more stuff like it.

Oscar Isaacs seems pretty great in it, though. I wish he'd become a household name sooner, I like his style and it's a shame he's only really become famous in the last few years.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'll be interested to see how far they go with this. In the comics, even discounting memes, Moon Knight has occasionally swung between Deadpool-wacky and Punisher-brutal; he's quite happy to maim and kill people who get in his way, often in creative and bloody means.

I don't see that happening in a Marvel TV show, certainly not on Disney+. I half-predict it will be more like Daredevil in that he will be violent but not gratuitous, and I hope that comes true because Daredevil was great and I'd like more stuff like it.

Oscar Isaacs seems pretty great in it, though. I wish he'd become a household name sooner, I like his style and it's a shame he's only really become famous in the last few years.
    My guess is, the most brutal violence on his part will be reserved for supernatural CGI monsters. The first episode was OK...took a bit too long getting to actual Moonknight. Maybe it will work in the context of the rest of the series, perhaps what we're going to see is each episode focusing on a different alter-ego.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Thrudd
    The first episode was OK...took a bit too long getting to actual Moonknight. Maybe it will work in the context of the rest of the series, perhaps what we're going to see is each episode focusing on a different alter-ego.
    Based on the first episode, I’m not expecting too much here, other than the mild entertainment of Oscar Isaac acting neurotic. I also didn’t have the impression they’ll be delving into other personalities, since they spent the entire first episode on the classic mild-mannered lovable loser.

After the string of disappointments last year, to say nothing of a certain very recent series, I’m not holding out much hope for any of the upcoming shows. I’ll try the next episode of this one and see if it continues to be mildly entertaining.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Only watched to see why they're review bombing it. Reminds me of Yugioh.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I liked it a lot so far, good slow burn on the premise is nice. The show is confident enough to let things develop instead of rushing, I'm a bit sad that the Moon Kight thing is so obviously supernatural I kind of enjoy the more mind screwing surrealistic what is real and what is not he can dig into sometimes. Still a chance for them to dig in deep though over time I guess.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomePirate

Yeah, this all seems very familiar.

First episode was enjoyable enough, I guess. Will probably watch the other five too, but it doesn't make me very enthusiastic.

I never minded the MCU movies all being similar. It was good, and a series should be allowed to stick with what they do well.
    But the last few years their marketing has been implying the new releases will be different, and now it bothers me when they're not.
    So far Moon Knight seems more a failure of the trailers than of the series itself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Only watched to see why they're review bombing it. Reminds me of Yugioh.
    Who's review bombing it and why?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Who's review bombing it and why?
    It's political in nature, but you can find the answer pretty easily by Googling.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Second episode is out.

Highly entertaining. Genuinely enjoyable and often funny, especially with Oscar Isaac’s delivery.

Also a little weird in spots, but that’s fine. I’m keeping my expectations low and just enjoying the ride.

Spoiler: Personalities
    Show
    Still getting the sense that we’ll only be seeing two personalities, Steven Grant and Mark Spector. No idea how many others there are in the comics, but for this show it looks like they’ll be focusing on the dynamic between these two.

Ethan Hawke continues to be effectively creepy as Harrow, and the reminder of the broken glass has me wincing every time he moves. Interested in seeing how far they take his philosophy, again with the caveat that I don't know if he's from the comics or what his story might be.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's political in nature, but you can find the answer pretty easily by Googling.
    Ugh, people are dumb. 🙄
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else seen the second episode?

Spoiler: Reference?
    Show
    And did anyone else get a bit of a Deadpool vibe? Mainly from the look of the Mr. Knight outfit.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Ugh, people are dumb. 🙄
    More like brainwashed.

Show is fine, classic Marvel.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Good place to start with Moon Knight?

Since the new show has started I’m curious about some peoples favorite Moon Knight runs, or generally just a good spot to start. Advice is appreciated!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Good place to start with Moon Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by reene11 View Post
    Since the new show has started I’m curious about some peoples favorite Moon Knight runs, or generally just a good spot to start. Advice is appreciated!
    The only comic I've read with Moonknight in it was a part of the Avengers vs. X-Men event, and if I remember correctly, the contingent of Avengers sent to keep a watch on the X-Mansion included Moonknight and he was belligerent to the point it started the inevitable fight.

I am familiar and amused with Moonknight memes, however, and on today's episode,
    Spoiler
    Show
    MK just flinging pointy things at the goons near the end made me think "Random bull**** go!!!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Another mildly entertaining episode, though it felt somehow less coherent than the others.

Spoiler: Getting Cosmic
    Show
    This is going in some moderately weird directions. Not knowing beans about the comic, I wasn’t expecting the council of avatars…and the idea that the Great Pyramid of Giza is hollow just grates on me. Yes, yes, fantasy pocket dimension or whatever, but still.

Beyond that, they lost me at a few points, such that I was a little puzzled why they were visiting Stylish Rich Guy’s place. It ended up being an excuse to have a stabby fight with spears, and overall the vibe felt like Deadpool meets Batman.

So, I dunno. The spinning sky and spontaneous eclipse seem to suggest the Egyptian gods are capable of exerting tremendous power in the MCU world, which is already stuffed with beings capable of exerting tremendous power. But this being the MCU, that will probably never be addressed in any real depth or detail.

Spoiler: One Mildly Interesting Thing...
    Show
    …is there seemed to be hints of a third personality, one more violent than either Mark or Steven. Comic fans will probably know who it is; the rest of us will just have to wait.

Also, at this point, I'm wondering if Steven’s “mother” is an invention of Mark’s, which Steven somehow latched onto in an attempt to create an independent life. There doesn’t seem to be much evidence that she exists, although presumably the voicemail for the number he calls would fill up if someone wasn’t deleting messages every now and then.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-04-13 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Another mildly entertaining episode, though it felt somehow less coherent than the others.

Spoiler: Getting Cosmic
    Show
    This is going in some moderately weird directions. Not knowing beans about the comic, I wasn’t expecting the council of avatars…and the idea that the Great Pyramid of Giza is hollow just grates on me. Yes, yes, fantasy pocket dimension or whatever, but still.

Beyond that, they lost me at a few points, such that I was a little puzzled why they were visiting Stylish Rich Guy’s place. It ended up being an excuse to have a stabby fight with spears, and overall the vibe felt like Deadpool meets Batman.

So, I dunno. The spinning sky and spontaneous eclipse seem to suggest the Egyptian gods are capable of exerting tremendous power in the MCU world, which is already stuffed with beings capable of exerting tremendous power. But this being the MCU, that will probably never be addressed in any real depth or detail.

Show
    …is there seemed to be hints of a third personality, one more violent than either Mark or Steven. Comic fans will probably know who it is; the rest of us will just have to wait.

Also, at this point, I'm wondering if Steven’s “mother” is an invention of Mark’s, which Steven somehow latched onto in an attempt to create an independent life. There doesn’t seem to be much evidence that she exists, although presumably the voicemail for the number he calls would fill up if someone wasn’t deleting messages every now and then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stylish rich guy owned a sarcophagus that could provide a map to the tomb since they lost the compus that is the scarab.

21. - Top - End - #21

NinjaGuy

Still enjoyable, but definitely the weakest of the three episodes so far.

Spoiler: The Plan
    Show

So, Khonshu specifically said going into the meeting with the Ennead that "Our case against Harrow must be indisputable" and then ... proceeded to go in with absolutely no evidence beyond "No trust me guys he's totes evil"? Even getting Harrow's scales tattoo on record, which while not exactly a smoking gun, would have been better than nothing. Not the strong point of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Oh I absolutely think there's a third personality based on what we've seen.

And I definitely thought that Steven's mother was Marc's way of keeping tabs on Steven, though now I'm thinking it might be the third personality's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In the comics, pre-last 10 years or so, Marc traditionally has the three "identities"

Marc Spectre - the mercenary
    Stephen Grant - the rich guy
    Jake Lockley - the taxi cab driver

When originated, way back in the 70s, these weren't DID personalities, they were simply other identities Marc used for information gathering needs. Ala Batman and his Matches Malone character. Stephen wasn't a nerdy intellectual, he was an affluent bruce wayne type. Jake was a down to the earth cabbie who had his ears to the street.

It was into the 80s when some pop psychologist writer decided to make them a poorly constructed play on a very real mental disorder.

So, maybe this third personality will turn out to be some play on Jake. Or it may be something from the last decade or so while I haven't been reading. I know for a while Brian Bendis gave him Captain America, Wolverine and Spiderman personalities.

Honestly, IMO, the changes they've made for the show have all been a net plus as far as making the character interesting and unique.

I'm waiting to find out what Stephen's mother is going to turn out to be.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Still enjoyable, but definitely the weakest of the three episodes so far.

Spoiler: The Plan
    Show

So, Khonshu specifically said going into the meeting with the Ennead that "Our case against Harrow must be indisputable" and then ... proceeded to go in with absolutely no evidence beyond "No trust me guys he's totes evil"? Even getting Harrow's scales tattoo on record, which while not exactly a smoking gun, would have been better than nothing. Not the strong point of the episode.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh I absolutely think there's a third personality based on what we've seen.

And I definitely thought that Steven's mother was Marc's way of keeping tabs on Steven, though now I'm thinking it might be the third personality's.
    Spoiler: The Ennead
    Show
    Yes, that was a horribly written scene. completely nonsensical - I mean, all Marc or Khonshu had to do was say "they have the compass, and are somewhere in the desert right now digging for the tomb! Why do you think he's even here in Giza right now? Follow him, go look for yourselves!" I guess the writers just wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out how to give Harrow a way out with the Ennead when he is clearly doing exactly what Khonshu says he is, so they decided to suddenly make both Khonshu and Marc unable to form a single coherent thought in the presence of the other gods. Going into it he implied it would be Marc who needed to present the evidence, but it seems like he should have known full well that this event would involve him possessing his avatar to speak directly with the other gods. Unless they are going to have the other gods secretly following Harrow, and this whole council was just to throw him off and make him think he's in the clear, just to show up at the end and help Khonshu defeat Ammit...but even if that's the plan, they wrote the characters acting and speaking absolutely nonsensically.

Spoiler: action scenes
    Show
    There was some ok action, I like that Moon knight is just outright killing people now...but also some absolutely ridiculous choreography...the standout was the guy who grabs and holds onto the end of Moonknight's cape for several seconds, waiting for him to turn around and deliver a beatdown...lol wtf?

Dudes on horses with lances are an odd inclusion...rich dude is just randomly into training in ancient horseback fighting? I guess it makes sense, since he's also a history buff and collector of antiquities...but this whole side-plot with needing to find a sarcophagus that was sold on the black market an indeterminate amount of time ago, with the clock ticking and Ammit's tomb having already been located by the bad guys, just feels sloppy. It just so happens that the wife knows exactly who to talk to to find out where it was sold, and they are willing to tell her? And it conveniently is still in Cairo, owned by someone she knows, rather than having been shipped off to England or Russia or anywhere else in the world? Feels both convoluted and lazy at the same time. Forced.

Oh well, what else can we expect, with a TV budget?...maybe all the money went to special effects and the actors, so they couldn't afford writers long enough to work out the problems in their scripts lol

I do like Oscar Isaac's performance. He's good at shifting his face and posture to clearly show the different characters, and had some good lines delivered.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

RE: Khonshu:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm happy that they dispensed with the whole "is Marc actually a servant of a moon god or is he just a deluded badass normal with thematic gadgets" and made him explicitly supernatural. (He's still not sane obviously, but I'm always in favor of metahuman heroes over badass normal ones. Magic > not-magic.)

RE: Godsmoot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree the scene was silly on Khonshu's part but come on, of course the Celestial Bureaucracy was going to be completely useless. If they had strong controls and awareness of the evildoer's plans you wouldn't need any heroes after all.

Rather, the true purpose of the scene was to provide insight into how Khonshu and the other gods see Marc and Steven (plus the unnamed but hinted third.) When Harrow condemns Khonshu's current vessel for having multiple personalities, Khonshu is left speechless and unable to mount a defense. Is it truly that damning? Do the gods see mental illnesses as defects? Was Khonshu trying to hide Steven from the other gods? All interesting questions.

RE: Spinning Sky:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We don't know that that phenomenon was visible outside Egypt. Like, did he actually rotate the entire sky around the world, or just the observable arc of it over one country?

And even if he did the whole thing... well hey, gods gonna god y'all. It accomplished the narrative purpose of not only pointing the way to the macguffin, but of getting Khonshu taken off the board for the third act so that Marc and Steven are forced to save the day without divine backup (and therefore, a lot more tension.)

RE: D.I.D.:
    I think this is in part why they played up the mystical/cosmic aspects of the character. Anytime someone points out how unrealistic MK's version of DID is, Marvel can simply shrug and either say he doesn't actually have DID, or he does but his version was thrown even further out of line from the DSM definition by dint of the literal deity living in his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Like other people, I was not a fan of the Godsmoot. There was a ton of evidence Khonshu could have mustered! Instead of... none? That said,

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like were I Mark/Steven, I'd actually be pretty happy that Khonshu is sealed away at the end of the latest episode. Khonshu is a threat to me and Layla, who is now neutralized. I'm in the Marvel universe — it's not like I have to deal with Harrow myself. Call the Avengers and make the case in a normal, competent way — Thor may be just an alien and not a literal god, but he seems quite a step above Harrow in power. If they can deal with Harrow, then I'm pretty much golden in terms of supernatural problems, and can just work on my mental health.
    Last edited by Thales; 2022-04-17 at 07:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    Like other people, I was not a fan of the Godsmoot. There was a ton of evidence Khonshu could have mustered! Instead of... none? That said,

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like were I Mark/Steven, I'd actually be pretty happy that Khonshu is sealed away at the end of the latest episode. Khonshu is a threat to me and Layla, who is now neutralized. I'm in the Marvel universe — it's not like I have to deal with Harrow myself. Call the Avengers and make the case in a normal, competent way — Thor may be just an alien and not a literal god, but he seems quite a step above Harrow in power. If they can deal with Harrow, then I'm pretty much golden in terms of supernatural problems, and can just work on my mental health.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't call the Avengers, they disbanded. Thor, specifically, isn't on Earth so reaching him would be rather difficult.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luckily, Gotham City is not an anarchic medieval town, it has the complete 21st century law enforcement and legislation package of a modern metropolis. No need for me to dress up as a bat to stop crime myself, I can just call law enforcement (federal level, if municipal level is too lazy or corrupt), make the case in a normal, competent way, and let them deal with criminals while I focus on my benefic social NGOs
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Spamalot in the Playground

As others have mentioned, "Call the Avengers" isn't an option for anyone anymore, much less Marc, even if (a) he had time to do so and they had time to respond before Arthur's plan came to fruition, (b) a means of doing so that wouldn't end in him being immediately dogpiled/arrested by numerous authorities, and (c) the credibility to be believed.

Regarding the Godsmoot, I agree the trial itself wasn't amazingly written - but again, I went into that knowing the Celestial Bureaucracy would be unable or unwilling to solve the plot. Once you accept that as the inevitable outcome, the mechanics of that failure are just haggling over price. Whether it is down to Khonshu making a boob of himself at trial as we saw happen, or due to dumb god laws tying his and everyone else's hands, the result is the same, Moon Knight has to save the day with reduced assistance from his patron.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

Also the last time one superhero asked another for help they broke reality.

If you want to turn a crisis into a catastrophe, call the Avengers...

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Regarding the Godsmoot, I agree the trial itself wasn't amazingly written - but again, I went into that knowing the Celestial Bureaucracy would be unable or unwilling to solve the plot. Once you accept that as the inevitable outcome, the mechanics of that failure are just haggling over price.
    You also go in knowing the hero will win and the bad guy will be beaten, but you wouldn't call the entire series "haggling over the price".
    How things happen (and why) matters. If predictable things happen in a stupid way, it's still stupid, and that they are predictable doesn't make it better. Maybe even worse.