New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default New One Piece Thread

*EDIT* These are scans of the most recent manga chapter, sorry for those who didnt expect it to be chapter 1044. *EDIT* Im honestly surprised this hasnt gotten more hype and in fact has scrolled right off the message board entirely. Can we talk about what just happened? Im kinda curious as to peoples reaction to the latest manga chapter and what it means. MAJOR spoilers ahead if you dont want to hear whats going on in the manga.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Luffys fruit isnt the rubber fruit at all, its a mythical zoan of some sun god warrior of liberation character. And the interesting thing about it is, it seems like its power is basically cartoon physics. Like classic looney tunes era cartoon physics. He can basically do what he wants with his body and even the environment around him. So a reality manipulation power based on imagination? For me, the good news is, i was terrified this was going to be some sort of joy boy influence over luffy that would change him, but so far it doesnt really seem to aside from the laughter and enjoyment of the fight. On the other hand, this could also get silly really fast with the cartoony effects going on like kaidos eyes and such. I loved how he restarted the fight by basically grabbing kaido like a salamander from a river bank and yoinked him right back to the roof.
    Last edited by Traab; 2022-03-26 at 02:26 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New One Piece Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im honestly surprised this hasnt gotten more hype and in fact has scrolled right off the message board entirely. Can we talk about what just happened? Im kinda curious as to peoples reaction to the latest manga chapter and what it means. MAJOR spoilers ahead if you dont want to hear whats going on in the manga.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Luffys fruit isnt the rubber fruit at all, its a mythical zoan of some sun god warrior of liberation character. And the interesting thing about it is, it seems like its power is basically cartoon physics. Like classic looney tunes era cartoon physics. He can basically do what he wants with his body and even the environment around him. So a reality manipulation power based on imagination? For me, the good news is, i was terrified this was going to be some sort of joy boy influence over luffy that would change him, but so far it doesnt really seem to aside from the laughter and enjoyment of the fight. On the other hand, this could also get silly really fast with the cartoony effects going on like kaidos eyes and such. I loved how he restarted the fight by basically grabbing kaido like a salamander from a river bank and yoinked him right back to the roof.
    Same I love the idea that
    Spoiler
    Show
    his rubber fruit, is really a Rubber hose animation fruit.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Im honestly surprised this hasnt gotten more hype and in fact has scrolled right off the message board entirely. Can we talk about what just happened? Im kinda curious as to peoples reaction to the latest manga chapter and what it means. MAJOR spoilers ahead if you dont want to hear whats going on in the manga.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yea it's ****ing WILD, I loved how goofy things got when Luffy awoke though. OP combat has always been a little cartoony and goofy and I think Oda is going to wild with that from now on.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Gomu Gomu
    Show
    It also seems clear now that reproducing the Gomu Gomu fruit was the eventual aim of the Smile fruits. A Zoan type fruit that leaves people uncontrollably smiling...

Also very likely the reasons why those with the will of D always die smiling, and probably also why the final destination is a place called Laugh Tale.

5. - Top - End - #5

The chapter's not out yet {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-03-27 at 12:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Show
    It also seems clear now that reproducing the Gomu Gomu fruit was the eventual aim of the Smile fruits. A Zoan type fruit that leaves people uncontrollably smiling...

Also very likely the reasons why those with the will of D always die smiling, and probably also why the final destination is a place called Laugh Tale.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know right, it's wild how many little pieces just come to together perfectly for this. I hadn't even thought about the Smile fruit connection though.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The chapter's not out yet {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Sorry didnt realize that. The people whose youtube videos I watch didnt mention these were scans. I dont read them myself I just enjoy the synopsis and theorycrafting. Im odd like that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-03-27 at 12:30 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #8

Sorry didnt realize that. The people whose youtube videos I watch didnt mention these were scans. I dont read them myself I just enjoy the synopsis and theorycrafting. Im odd like that.
    Not that odd. I do theory-crafting regarding the power mechanics of settings all the time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9

Just remember that the chapters aren't legally available until tomorrow, and you're golden.

Also if you enjoy theory crafting, don't read until Sunday either, as fan scanlations will not match the official release, and likely get **** wrong.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-03-26 at 07:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Show

I don't think so, given what we're told.

Spoiler
    Show
    The smiling is a side effect of SMILES not being perfect Devil Fruit. It doesn't make the people who get powers to uncontrollably smile. It's the side effect of people who don't get powers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*EDIT* These are scans of the most recent manga chapter, sorry for those who didnt expect it to be chapter 1044. *EDIT* Im honestly surprised this hasnt gotten more hype and in fact has scrolled right off the message board entirely. Can we talk about what just happened? Im kinda curious as to peoples reaction to the latest manga chapter and what it means. MAJOR spoilers ahead if you dont want to hear whats going on in the manga.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is what it is, but I'm still not a fan of the reveal from a branding/marketing perspective.
    Spoiler: Ch 1044
    Show
    The Gum Gum Fruit is too intimately tied to Luffy's identity at this point, but now apparently we don't even know if it actually existed. Luffy's attacks almost always have "Gomu Gomu" in their names, but going forward I see him either naming all his attacks "Gomu Gomu", naming all his attacks "Hito Hito", or leaving the names of current attacks "Gomu Gomu" and his future attacks as "Hito Hito". In any of these scenarios, there will be a disconnect with his attacks' branding and his devil fruit identity.

I love the idea of Luffy getting this type of power-up that enables more freedom with the way he attacks, but I'm not a fan of how it was executed (as a mythical zoan reveal instead of something like a Gum Gum fruit awakening). Even without diving into this Nika DF twist, we already know that Luffy has enough imagination and creativity, with him making the most out of what's considered an otherwise silly rubber power into potent gear modes. Luffy taking what seemed like a random "weak" fruit and making it special in his own way doesn't have the same impact now that we know that it was meant to be extremely special in the first place.

What I'm most interested about in this chapter is the confirmation of zoan fruits having some kind of sentience and even control over their own fate. In most other chapter, that would've been the big reveal. Now I have to wonder whether the pleasures

Also if you enjoy theory crafting, don't read until Sunday either, as fan scanlations will not match the official release, and likely get **** wrong.
    I'm glad to see more people supporting official One Piece Viz translations like Merry Go, Van Ogre, Sniper King, and Climate Baton, to name a few, instead of the incorrectly translated ones like Going Merry, Van Auger, Sogeking and Clima-Tact. Though for some reason, Viz can't respect Togashi's official databook names in HxH such as Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, Hyskoa, Yellmi Zaoldyeck, Curarpict, Kkkyau Zaoldyeck, and Calltt Zaoldyeck by using those as the official Viz translations too. Very inconsistent of you, Viz.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The smiling is a side effect of SMILES not being perfect Devil Fruit. It doesn't make the people who get powers to uncontrollably smile. It's the side effect of people who don't get powers.
    Show
    There's no official direct connection yet, but I won't be surprised if there's a correlation between failed artificial zoan fruits and the most sought after zoan fruit in existence having similar side effects. At the very least, has anyone ever thought why laughing was even the artificial zoan DF side effect in the first place?

Could these sentient zoan fruits somehow influence their users' actions by limiting their expressions to mostly laughter? Were the fruits laughing at the users for failing to gain DF powers?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I'm glad to see more people supporting official One Piece Viz translations like Merry Go, Van Ogre, Sniper King, and Climate Baton, to name a few, instead of the incorrectly translated ones like Going Merry, Van Auger, Sogeking and Clima-Tact. Though for some reason, Viz can't respect Togashi's official databook names in HxH such as Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, Hyskoa, Yellmi Zaoldyeck, Curarpict, Kkkyau Zaoldyeck, and Calltt Zaoldyeck by using those as the official Viz translations too. Very inconsistent of you, Viz.

Show
    There's no official direct connection yet, but I won't be surprised if there's a correlation between failed artificial zoan fruits and the most sought after zoan fruit in existence having similar side effects. At the very least, has anyone ever thought why laughing was even the artificial zoan DF side effect in the first place?

Could these sentient zoan fruits somehow influence their users' actions by limiting their expressions to mostly laughter? Were the fruits laughing at the users for failing to gain DF powers?
    Hunter x Hunter has no rights.

Jokes aside; those names are unreadable. And it's not just the official name for things that matters (and I know some of those aren't the actual names used in the official translation), it's the actual official translation itself, as well as the official release. Don't support scanlations of series that are coming out in English, especially when said series are coming out free!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-03-26 at 10:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Zoans
    Show
    We've actually known about this "will" Zoans have for a really long time. Way back before Enis Lobby in fact, around the midpoint of Alabasta. We're told pretty expressly that unlike Logia and Paramecia Fruits, Zoan Fruits impart some of the characteristics of the animal to the user. Carnivorous Zoan become more ferocious and we're told that Zoan fruit users "gain the intelligence of the animal of their fruit". This has mostly just applied to inanimate objects that eat Devil Fruits but there's clearly something about Devil Fruits that bring along the nature of what they impart. Sabo is another good hint to this when he eats the Mera Mera no Mi. He says "I am the flame", not just that he is an embodiment of it but that he is apart of the fire itself. We'll obviously learn more when we get the full history of Devil Fruits but it sounds to me that SMILES are missing something and it's not the nature of the animal. We see the animal parts of SMILE users go against their user, there's an imperfect merging of the user and the will trapped in the SMILE.

The thing with the Nika Model is...no one knew it had another name, even the Gorosei ask why the World Government would hide it's name. It's obvious this is new information to them, even as they're discussing the history that they know. We can't assume Vegapunk knew. We can outright assume Ceaser didn't know, because he had absolutely no reaction to Luffy when he saw his abilities. Same goes for anyone else involved in the SMILE trade. No one knew about the ultimate Zoan and most of them still don't. We, the reader do, but Luffy as far as we know doesn't know he's a Zoan even now.

As for the laughter, I doubt they'll ever say why it's a side effect. We've had the payoff of why SMILE eaters who don't get powers are such a sad thing with Yasuie's death. If it's at all related to Nika I'll be surprised.

On VIZ translations...they're really hit or miss on things. They're still translating Zoro as Zolo even though that's not his name and their translations for Nekomamushi and Inurashi to their literal meanings, when they're not meant to be that, is egregious. It'd be like if they translated Kuma as Bear because kuma is bear in Japanese. They make a lot of really weird choices when translating like Endless Varse vs Fairy Varse. Not saying fan-translations are perfect, but a few of them get closer to the actual intent and meaning than VIZ does. Just because they're the licensed translator doesn't mean their translation is the best or the most accurate. By a lot of other translating companies, VIZ got really low marks for early One Piece, and they still get middling grades at current.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-03-26 at 10:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I dislike it. Actually that's not true. I hate it. Everything from the
    Spoiler
    Show
    knock off super saiyan hair to the fact that it retroactively changes Luffy from the guy with the silly fruit who got by on wits and heart to a typical Shonen Mary Sue wish fulfillment character who is just more special than anyone else. Chosen one stories are hardly ever interesting, and transitioning into one out of nowhere after 1000 chapters feels awful. It retroactively diminishes every single one of Luffy's achievements to this point, and introduces massive plot holes concerning why the government never bothered to deal with him until now. It's not new information to them because otherwise the whole plot line with Who's Who doesn't make sense. One way or the other it's a plot hole.

Maybe Oda will salvage it somehow, but as of right now this is the worst One Piece chapter ever by a wide margin.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-03-26 at 11:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think so, given what we're told.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea no possible way it is a coincidence. I wonder now if the SMILE were an attempt to somehow tap into whatever mysterious fruit lies within a Zoan fruit they mentioned to steal the Hito Hito or just make a second one.

It is what it is, but I'm still not a fan of the reveal from a branding/marketing perspective.
    Show
    The Gum Gum Fruit is too intimately tied to Luffy's identity at this point, but now apparently we don't even know if it actually existed. Luffy's attacks almost always have "Gomu Gomu" in their names, but going forward I see him either naming all his attacks "Gomu Gomu", naming all his attacks "Hito Hito", or leaving the names of current attacks "Gomu Gomu" and his future attacks as "Hito Hito". In any of these scenarios, there will be a disconnect with his attacks' branding and his devil fruit identity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure he even knows about the change to worry about it, and given the new weird nature of his powers I don't think he might have the same naming convention at all for things anymore.

I love the idea of Luffy getting this type of power-up that enables more freedom with the way he attacks, but I'm not a fan of how it was executed (as a mythical zoan reveal instead of something like a Gum Gum fruit awakening). Even without diving into this Nika DF twist, we already know that Luffy has enough imagination and creativity, with him making the most out of what's considered an otherwise silly rubber power into potent gear modes. Luffy taking what seemed like a random "weak" fruit and making it special in his own way doesn't have the same impact now that we know that it was meant to be extremely special in the first place.
    [/SPOILER]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it has more impact now, since we know that this fruit takes imagination and determination to use properly let alone awaken it.

Hunter x Hunter has no rights.

Jokes aside; those names are unreadable. And it's not just the official name for things that matters (and I know some of those aren't the actual names used in the official translation), it's the actual official translation itself, as well as the official release. Don't support scanlations of series that are coming out in English, especially when said series are coming out free!
    I pay SJ for a subscription, I don't like waiting for their version when there is one up I can read for stuff where there is a gap. I won't be apologizing.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2022-03-26 at 11:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

On VIZ translations...they're really hit or miss on things. They're still translating Zoro as Zolo even though that's not his name and their translations for Nekomamushi and Inurashi to their literal meanings, when they're not meant to be that, is egregious. It'd be like if they translated Kuma as Bear because kuma is bear in Japanese. They make a lot of really weird choices when translating like Endless Varse vs Fairy Varse. Not saying fan-translations are perfect, but a few of them get closer to the actual intent and meaning than VIZ does. Just because they're the licensed translator doesn't mean their translation is the best or the most accurate. By a lot of other translating companies, VIZ got really low marks for early One Piece, and they still get middling grades at current.
    Zolo is because of a rights issue with Zorro, and if those characters were supposed to be translated that way they would have been. While it may be that early on it was rough, but nowadays there's basically no reason to assume scanlations are going to be closer, given they directly work with the creators now. Oda even formats his word balloons to make it easier to translate!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I pay SJ for a subscription, I don't like waiting for their version when there is one up I can read for stuff where there is a gap. I won't be apologizing.
    Just make sure to mark your spoilers then, because some of us aren't going to read scanlations.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Zolo is because of a rights issue with Zorro, and if those characters were supposed to be translated that way they would have been. While it may be that early on it was rough, but nowadays there's basically no reason to assume scanlations are going to be closer, given they directly work with the creators now. Oda even formats his word balloons to make it easier to translate.
    My contention wasn't that fanscans are better, to start with. I'm just talking strictly to Viz's record, and current abilities. I'm not assuming they make mistakes in translations either, other translators say they make mistakes in translations, even currently. I'm not trying to beat up on Viz, I'm not even saying they're terrible overall but they have a history of weird translation choices, especially when it comes to names. Kid was localized as Kidd by official localization and they still translate Jinbe with an M and I. Not because that's correct but because some people here an M, not an N and with an I because the name comes from Jinbei. Viz isn't perfect, and they sometimes translate things for convenience rather than stick with what the Data Books, which are official from Oda, say. Pointing that out shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I dislike it. Actually that's not true. I hate it. Everything from the
    Spoiler
    Show
    knock off super saiyan hair to the fact that it retroactively changes Luffy from the guy with the silly fruit who got by on wits and heart to a typical Shonen Mary Sue wish fulfillment character who is just more special than anyone else. Chosen one stories are hardly ever interesting, and transitioning into one out of nowhere after 1000 chapters feels awful. It retroactively diminishes every single one of Luffy's achievements to this point, and introduces massive plot holes concerning why the government never bothered to deal with him until now. It's not new information to them because otherwise the whole plot line with Who's Who doesn't make sense. One way or the other it's a plot hole.

Maybe Oda will salvage it somehow, but as of right now this is the worst One Piece chapter ever by a wide margin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luffy isn't a chosen one though, and he has no idea about his fruit. He's still survived with a goofy fruit all the way up to 1044 by his wits and his knowledge. The Gomu Gomu no Mi didn't impart anything mystical to him and we have no idea what'll happen post-Awakening. That he's Joy Boy's been so heavily hinted at and worked to, this is the opposite of a surprise. He's not opening Wano because Luffy, the person, was destined to. He's just some kid from the East Blue. He wasn't destined to eat the Gomu Gomu no Mi, he did it out of spite and revenge against Shanks. Nothing about Luffy's just because he's Luffy, or because he's some Chosen Child and we've got 1043 chapters to back that up.

Also, it's clear in the story that the World Government didn't know up until now. The Gorosei flat out say "why did the World Government hide this information". They've been in the dark like everyone else. That they've been searching for the Gomu Gomu no Mi all this time doesn't mean they know the full reason behind it and the story seems to imply it. It was all the pieces falling into place, Zunesha coming to Wano...it being Wano...that alerted them that something was up. They don't even use clear language on its potential. Allegedly is right there in the bubble.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-03-27 at 12:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

My contention wasn't that fanscans are better, to start with. I'm just talking strictly to Viz's record, and current abilities. I'm not assuming they make mistakes in translations either, other translators say they make mistakes in translations, even currently. I'm not trying to beat up on Viz, I'm not even saying they're terrible overall but they have a history of weird translation choices, especially when it comes to names. Kid was localized as Kidd by official localization and they still translate Jinbe with an M and I. Not because that's correct but because some people here an M, not an N and with an I because the name comes from Jinbei. Viz isn't perfect, and they sometimes translate things for convenience rather than stick with what the Data Books, which are official from Oda, say. Pointing that out shouldn't be a problem.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luffy isn't a chosen one though, and he has no idea about his fruit. He's still survived with a goofy fruit all the way up to 1044 by his wits and his knowledge. The Gomu Gomu no Mi didn't impart anything mystical to him and we have no idea what'll happen post-Awakening. That he's Joy Boy's been so heavily hinted at and worked to, this is the opposite of a surprise. He's not opening Wano because Luffy, the person, was destined to. He's just some kid from the East Blue. He wasn't destined to eat the Gomu Gomu no Mi, he did it out of spite and revenge against Shanks. Nothing about Luffy's just because he's Luffy, or because he's some Chosen Child and we've got 1043 chapters to back that up.

Also, it's clear in the story that the World Government didn't know up until now. The Gorosei flat out say "why did the World Government hide this information". They've been in the dark like everyone else. That they've been searching for the Gomu Gomu no Mi all this time doesn't mean they know the full reason behind it and the story seems to imply it. It was all the pieces falling into place, Zunesha coming to Wano...it being Wano...that alerted them that something was up. They don't even use clear language on its potential. Allegedly is right there in the bubble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mythical zoans explicitly confer super human strength, durability, stamina, and healing ability. Every time Luffy took a beating and got back up before that we assumed was because of his heart we can now be attributed to his fruit. To quote Tony Stark, everything special about him came from a bottle.

He's no longer the scrappy underdog who gets by with a subpar power. He's now the guy who wins because his power is just better than everyone else's. To the point where the whole world government is focused on capturing it.

The whole story is different now. Remember the faith Shanks placed in Luffy? Turns out it was just because of the fruit.

And they did know about the Gomu Gomu. That's why Who's Who was guarding it. It's why they threw him into prison for losing it and have been chasing him. It's why Who's Who knows the secret of the fruit. It's a massive plot hole.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not expressly said anywhere that Mythical Zoan give special healing. Marco has it because he's a Phoenix and Orochi has multiple lives because he's a Hydra. The others aren't noted to have any sort of healing factor. Luffy's tough because he's got a rubber body and his Grandpa's training as hell. It has that effect on anyone who takes it. Ace, Sabo, Coby and Helm are all suitably better off for having it. It's not because Luffy's fruit is the best.

Where does it say his power is better than everyone else's even? His fruit has always been what it is. It gives him a body of rubber, the Gorosei say that. They never claim it's the strongest fruit, just that it's power is ridiculous, and we've seen that in action. Look at all of Luffy's Gears, they've been inspired by his drive, his creative ideas on how to put his rubber body best to use. We don't see him doing anything beyond that in 1044 either. He's not going to start crapping thunder and lightning. All Awakening does is give a power boost to those abilities, like all other Awakenings.

Where does it say the only reason Shank's put his faith in Luffy is because of the Fruit? We know why he put his faith in Luffy, its' because he said the same thing Roger said.

They also knew the government wanted the Gomu Gomu no Mi. That doesn't mean the Gorosei knew the true reason, and by their discussion in it's pretty clear. Page 17, they're arguing over the truth of the Gomu Gomu no Mi's truth. The bald one with the birthmark says "No, that's impossible. That fruit is a legend now even to us." They didn't know why it was important, just that it was. That's why they didn't go after Luffy, because they thought the Nika Fruit was a legend, that it wasn't true. Only now that it's awakening, because of the legend about Wano's opening and the sighting of Zunesha, that the legends were true. That's why they ordered Luffy to be killed even knowing it would upset Kaido and risk his wrath coming down on the world. They say that, explicitly, in this chapter.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-03-27 at 12:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not expressly said anywhere that Mythical Zoan give special healing. Marco has it because he's a Phoenix and Orochi has multiple lives because he's a Hydra. The others aren't noted to have any sort of healing factor. Luffy's tough because he's got a rubber body and his Grandpa's training as hell. It has that effect on anyone who takes it. Ace, Sabo, Coby and Helm are all suitably better off for having it. It's not because Luffy's fruit is the best.

Where does it say his power is better than everyone else's even? His fruit has always been what it is. It gives him a body of rubber, the Gorosei say that. They never claim it's the strongest fruit, just that it's power is ridiculous, and we've seen that in action. Look at all of Luffy's Gears, they've been inspired by his drive, his creative ideas on how to put his rubber body best to use. We don't see him doing anything beyond that in 1044 either. He's not going to start crapping thunder and lightning. All Awakening does is give a power boost to those abilities, like all other Awakenings.

Where does it say the only reason Shank's put his faith in Luffy is because of the Fruit? We know why he put his faith in Luffy, its' because he said the same thing Roger said.

They also knew the government wanted the Gomu Gomu no Mi. That doesn't mean the Gorosei knew the true reason, and by their discussion in it's pretty clear. Page 17, they're arguing over the truth of the Gomu Gomu no Mi's truth. The bald one with the birthmark says "No, that's impossible. That fruit is a legend now even to us." They didn't know why it was important, just that it was. That's why they didn't go after Luffy, because they thought the Nika Fruit was a legend, that it wasn't true. Only now that it's awakening, because of the legend about Wano's opening and the sighting of Zunesha, that the legends were true. That's why they ordered Luffy to be killed even knowing it would upset Kaido and risk his wrath coming down on the world. They say that, explicitly, in this chapter.
    I really don't care to keep arguing, and I know from experience that we'll circle forever and end up going nowhere so I'm just going to say I disagree and leave it at that.

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Just make sure to mark your spoilers then, because some of us aren't going to read scanlations.
    Okay, so nobody's addressed this yet, but you didn't start this thread, and you're not a moderator.

What other people discuss and how they mark their spoilers is not actually yours to control. You don't set the terms by which others may discuss what they find interesting.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, so nobody's addressed this yet, but you didn't start this thread, and you're not a moderator.

What other people discuss and how they mark their spoilers is not actually yours to control. You don't set the terms by which others may discuss what they find interesting.
    There's no reason to address it. Spoilers are part of the forum rules, not something set by the OP of a thread, unless that thread specifically states "Spoilers".

23. - Top - End - #23

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    There's no reason to address it. Spoilers are part of the forum rules, not something set by the OP of a thread, unless that thread specifically states "Spoilers".
    Yes, and everything in this thread was behind spoiler tags already. If you go into a thread and click on a spoiler and get spoiled, well, what did you expect?

That also wasn't the objection either. The objection was "don't discuss scan chapters", and that's not part of the forum rules, there might be rules about talking about where to get them, but not the contents (because that would be unworkable on an international forum where things may be available to some but not others due to different release dates).

24. - Top - End - #24

Yes, and everything in this thread was behind spoiler tags already. If you go into a thread and click on a spoiler and get spoiled, well, what did you expect?

That also wasn't the objection either. The objection was "don't discuss scan chapters", and that's not part of the forum rules, there might be rules about talking about where to get them, but not the contents (because that would be unworkable on an international forum where things may be available to some but not others due to different release dates).
    Speaking as the guy who started the thread, i would have mentioned (and in fact went back and edited) had I known they were scans not the official release. I can appreciate mentioning that fact because it makes a difference for thread readers to know if the spoilered discussion is about the previous chapter thats been out awhile, or the upcoming one that wont be officially released for a couple days. It happened awhile back in the webcomic categories too, iirc girl genius had some sort of comic portal that let people see the next update before it was posted to the main site or something along those lines. It meant they were discussing comics you hadnt actually read yet and that sucks.

Also, as far as chosen one shounen type things goes,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thats part of why I brought it up for discussion, because honestly I hate destiny storylines, especially when they get tacked onto an existing story where the main character isnt some destined hero, he is just a kid with a good heart and a love of adventure who wants to accomplish some huge goal for absurd reasons. Just because he says things like gold roger did doesnt mean he is destined to win, or is roger reborn, or whatever other nonsense you might think of, so it feels less plot armorish. As soon as its revealed the main character has all these important historical connections and links to great power that has control over destiny, it feels like the mc loses some of his agency. The willpower and luck that kept him alive is no longer that, its fate. His determination to not fall down or to get back up is no longer grit and the willpower of a king, its because according to fate he wont fall here, because he has a destiny to fulfill. I like his power up for the most part, though im worried about it going too far into bugs bunny cartoon realms, but im not so sure about his legendary fruit and what it means narratively.

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Spoiler: Destiny and chosen ones
    Show
    I agree that chosen one/destined hero stories are bad. If the destined hero wins, well, that's what destiny said anyway so what's changed? If this was the only outcome that could have happened in the first place, why did we watch the motions playing out?

However, I don't get that from this chapter, certainly no more than you would from Luffy already having fulfilled several prophecies and/or promises about Joy Boy (see: Fishman Island). Luffy isn't a chosen one in the strong sense of destiny, but in the weak sense that he's the right man in the right place at the right time with the right attitude, and the awakened nature of the gomu gomu fruit gives him exactly the right tool to do what he was going to do anyway.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Spoiler: Destiny and chosen ones
    Show
    I agree that chosen one/destined hero stories are bad. If the destined hero wins, well, that's what destiny said anyway so what's changed? If this was the only outcome that could have happened in the first place, why did we watch the motions playing out?

However, I don't get that from this chapter, certainly no more than you would from Luffy already having fulfilled several prophecies and/or promises about Joy Boy (see: Fishman Island). Luffy isn't a chosen one in the strong sense of destiny, but in the weak sense that he's the right man in the right place at the right time with the right attitude, and the awakened nature of the gomu gomu fruit gives him exactly the right tool to do what he was going to do anyway.
    I mean
    Spoiler
    Show
    his fruit turned him into a God and literally brought him back from the dead. It's quite literally a deus ex machina. Sure, it could have been written differently where Luffy just awakened his power and achieved the same things, but it wasn't.

You can't literally resurrect your protagonist from the dead, give him an unearned power up just because he's more special than other people, and still maintain story tension. It's no better than Naruto randomly being gifted godlike powers or Ichigo being a super special snowflake that has access to every kind of power up. It's generic Shonen wish fulfillment.

27. - Top - End - #27

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I mean
    Spoiler
    Show
    his fruit turned him into a God and literally brought him back from the dead. It's quite literally a deus ex machina. Sure, it could have been written differently where Luffy just awakened his power and achieved the same things, but it wasn't.

You can't literally resurrect your protagonist from the dead, give him an unearned power up just because he's more special than other people, and still maintain story tension. It's no better than Naruto randomly being gifted godlike powers or Ichigo being a super special snowflake that has access to every kind of power up. It's generic Shonen wish fulfillment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone with the Will of D dies smiling. Luffy was not smiling, ergo he was not dead. He might have been *mostly* dead, but that's not the same thing, and now he's *really* going to have fun storming the castle.

Also it's not like Luffy hasn't picked up new abilities from being on the verge of defeat before, that's pretty much how the fight with Katakuri went.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone with the Will of D dies smiling. Luffy was not smiling, ergo he was not dead. He might have been *mostly* dead, but that's not the same thing, and now he's *really* going to have fun storming the castle.

Also it's not like Luffy hasn't picked up new abilities from being on the verge of defeat before, that's pretty much how the fight with Katakuri went.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except they made a big deal about how he was dead and his heart was stopped in the previous chapter.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As a rule of thumb (for myself), I just put the chapter number in the spoiler label to make it very clear what I'm discussing.

Also, the chapters out officially, FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Its likely also a good idea to specify if its a chapter not officially released.
    As its easy to mix chapter numbers up.

On the newest chapter. I also hated it for the reasons Anteros listed.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar