New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New One Piece Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Im thinking of something as recent as Flamingo.
    That does feel extremely identical.
    It's really not though.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Im thinking of something as recent as Flamingo.
    That does feel extremely identical.
    So almost a decade ago? Almost 250 chapters ago? I don't know if I'd call either of those recent, even if they were identical which they're not.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    So almost a decade ago? Almost 250 chapters ago? I don't know if I'd call either of those recent, even if they were identical which they're not.
    You say that as if Oda's inability to actually progress the plot in a timely manner somehow excuses repeating the same plot lines over and over instead of being a part of the problem.

Of course you're correct. The situations aren't identical. They're just very very very very very very very very similar. I'm glad you all are still enjoying reading basically the same arc over and over for the last 20 years. Some of us are hoping for new stories though.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: 1049
    Show
    Double Spoiler as usual
    Spoiler
    Show
    And we get more Kaido backstory in this chapter and Luffy declaring why he has to win. We may have another chapter, in two weeks, of Kaido vs Luffy but it seems clear the fight's pretty much over. Kaido is knocked to the ground, laid low, and water is pouring out of Onigashima. The dawn's close to rising. Wano is in its last laps.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    Oda finally got the Kaido-focused flashback people were clamoring for. I'm not sure how to feel with how similar Kaido and Linlin's pasts are. I guess it makes sense that they turned out to be absolute monsters later in life if they were already this dangerous even as kids. I'm ok with the reveal that he was deliberately getting himself captured back when he was a kid to get good food, as it provides a lot of context as to how this seemingly indestructible force of nature got captured multiple times. I imagine him doing a Belkar: G7 holding cell food 3.5/5, "Would be incarcerated again."

It looks like Hachinosu has a lot of history for notable characters, from Blackbeard, to Rocks, and now Kaido. I bet there's more to unpack in the future.

The last panels seem definitive. From Kaido's words to King, to how he received the attack. It looked like Kaido already realized, or was starting to realize, that Luffy's Joyboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Look not everyone vacant release at the rate of Martial Peak…

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Look not everyone vacant release at the rate of Martial Peak…
    I literally have no idea what you're trying to communicate here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Banned

I literally have no idea what you're trying to communicate here.
    Really? It looks like "can" got autocorrected to "vacant" but is otherwise perfectly understandable.

Show
    Double Spoiler as usual
    Spoiler
    Show
    And we get more Kaido backstory in this chapter and Luffy declaring why he has to win. We may have another chapter, in two weeks, of Kaido vs Luffy but it seems clear the fight's pretty much over. Kaido is knocked to the ground, laid low, and water is pouring out of Onigashima. The dawn's close to rising. Wano is in its last laps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yet somehow there's been so much filler this arc that I can't even muster up excitemnt for Luffy beating a Yonko or the Yonko's backstory. One Piece is my favorite manga by a large margin, but the quality on this arc has fallen hard towards the end. This arc should have been several chapters shorter.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-05-15 at 10:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

So we're there.

Spoiler: 1050
    Show
    I don't think Kaido is 100% down and out here. He's certainly done in this fight but I can't help but feel Kaido and Big Mom are still going to do something before this arc is done. Part of me is expecting some sort of betrayal from Big Mom. Honor, betrayal and alliance are the over-arching themes not just of the second half of the Wano arc but even stretching back to Dressrosa. Oda's been highlighting how odd Luffy's and Law's alliance is, contrasting it to everyone else and outright having Apoo say that it's just what pirates do. Big Mom's crew is also still hanging around. Wano may be coming to a close but the pieces are in play for the endgame here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Banned

Well, there were a lot of rough spots on the way to this chapter, but the chapter itself felt good.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

So we're there. [...]Wano may be coming to a close but the pieces are in play for the endgame here.
    I see at least 3 arcs/enemies left. Blackbeard, Marine Admirality and the (shadow) World Government. Maybe even one arc for actually finding the One Piece and/or Shanks duel.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    I see at least 3 arcs/enemies left. Blackbeard, Marine Admirality and the (shadow) World Government. Maybe even one arc for actually finding the One Piece and/or Shanks duel.
    Oda said 5 years or so left in a fairly recent interview. Of course, I don't think he's actually very good at estimating how long it takes to resolve a plot, so we're probably looking at twice that.

That said, I expect some of those plot points to be combined. Shanks/Raftel/Blackbeard can all be one arc. Same for the Admirals and the world government. Shanks has some sort of connection to them so maybe he fits in there as well.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

Im thinking raftel will be where he meets the admirality for marineford 2.0. The grand fleet is called in, the marines call in everything they can, we have twists and turns where the marines pull out kaido and big mom who want revenge on the straw hat alliance, the straw hats get backup fromt he nations they are heroes to along the way, the warlords joining up with him for vengeance, etc, and eventually luffy takes his place on top of the heap, or close enough. What he finds at the end of the grand line, will lead him to going after the world government itself. The gorusei, and Im being the final bosses of the series. He breaks the world government, gets the revolutionaries to work with the few decent marines like koby to establish a new order and he goes off on more adventures with his crew. Plenty of islands left to explore after all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

If we're throwing out predictions, there's literally zero chance that the series ends without Luffy destroying the red line. Simultaneously creating "All Blue" as well as making the world's oceans "One Piece"

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    If we're throwing out predictions, there's literally zero chance that the series ends without Luffy destroying the red line. Simultaneously creating "All Blue" as well as making the world's oceans "One Piece"
    All Blue's an almost certain bet, but Oda's on record saying that the "One Piece" won't be a metaphorical thing, so I really hope that won't be the case.

16. - Top - End - #286

One Piece is confirmed to be an actual physical thing.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Roger's treasure wasn't something that's really only valuable because it's Roger's treasure. momentos and knick-nacks, probably gifts from friends or momentos of his crew, that would be priceless to a collector or museum for the historical value that comes from being something treasured by the infamous Pirate King but of very little material worth on their own.

Dreams, friendship, and sentimentality are kind of a big deal in this series.

Granted, One Piece almost certainly also contains something of plot relevance but if I recall, One Piece isn't just Roger's treasure, it's everything he owned.

...Possible joke opportunity: There's actually a note detailing what all is in it and there are several very valuable items listed and then there's just one that says "my treasure" leading the crew to wonder just what the treasure is if all the money, fine art, advanced tech, plot coupons, or whatever else is there isn't "treasure."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Banned

I'm not 100% convinced that Roger's treasure and One Piece are exactly the same. If you look up literal translations of the Japanese it apparently translates similar to "a rope that binds all men" or "a sea at peace"

Furthermore, a united Ocean is a physical thing, which I believes fulfills the "not metaphorical" quote in the strictest sense. It wouldn't be the first time Oda fudged an answer. Or even the hundredth.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

We already know space travel is possible. Naturally, One Piece would be the sole existing Space Log Pose left on Earth.

Furthermore, Roger left all his gold in Laugh Tale. Guess what tons of material Enel needed so he can run Ark Maxim.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2022-06-04 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    No it isn't. The only thing Oda's said is that it's something you'd actually want, not some metaphor for the journey.

Oda: Yes, I already decided on how it’s going to end. Should I tell you now?

Sakura: …. Well, I want to know, but I probably shouldn’t. BUT, the One Piece, it’s not something like “the growth your heart went through”, right?

Oda: Hahaha, no no, I won’t be pulling off some kind of Wizard of Oz thing like that. After having gone through an adventure like that, it wouldn’t be fair to not actually give them a reward.
    This is all Oda has said when directly asked. He also said people have already guessed it late last year.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-06-04 at 06:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

No it isn't. The only thing Oda's said is that it's something you'd actually want, not some metaphor for the journey.

This is all Oda has said when directly asked. He also said people have already guessed it late last year.
    Fair enough... But that doesn't preclude it from being "a well-preseved collection of knickknacks belonging to a famed and infamous figure giving them a historical value that far exceeds their material value."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #291

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Roger's treasure wasn't something that's really only valuable because it's Roger's treasure. momentos and knick-nacks, probably gifts from friends or momentos of his crew, that would be priceless to a collector or museum for the historical value that comes from being something treasured by the infamous Pirate King but of very little material worth on their own.

Dreams, friendship, and sentimentality are kind of a big deal in this series.

Granted, One Piece almost certainly also contains something of plot relevance but if I recall, One Piece isn't just Roger's treasure, it's everything he owned.

...Possible joke opportunity: There's actually a note detailing what all is in it and there are several very valuable items listed and then there's just one that says "my treasure" leading the crew to wonder just what the treasure is if all the money, fine art, advanced tech, plot coupons, or whatever else is there isn't "treasure."
    One Piece isn't just Roger's treasure, it's also something left behind by Joy Boy that Roger and his crew found when they went to Laugh Tale.

It will almost certainly reveal the truth of The Will of D and the Void Century, and provide the right person the ability to shape the future of the world. (This is why I think Laugh Tale will be the showdown with the Blackbeard Pirates, because then the stakes are the future of the world).

Fair enough... But that doesn't preclude it from being "a well-preseved collection of knickknacks belonging to a famed and infamous figure giving them a historical value that far exceeds their material value."
    That is, however, unlikely due to the fact that Luffy has had one such item since the beginning of the series.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2022-06-05 at 04:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    One Piece isn't just Roger's treasure, it's also something left behind by Joy Boy that Roger and his crew found when they went to Laugh Tale.

It will almost certainly reveal the truth of The Will of D and the Void Century, and provide the right person the ability to shape the future of the world. (This is why I think Laugh Tale will be the showdown with the Blackbeard Pirates, because then the stakes are the future of the world).

That is, however, unlikely due to the fact that Luffy has had one such item since the beginning of the series.
    I cant remember if it cannon or fannon but didnt rayliegh mention something about the void century and how they made a decision upon reaching the end of the road and learning the true history of the world, and that their decision may be different? It was when they met him at shakkys ripoff bar and learned who he was and robin i think asked about that. He offered to tell her if she really wanted to know. Here it is Thats why I think laugh tale will lead them to the world government. What they will learn about the void century and what the WG has done to hold power and why will somehow force luffy to do something about it. I think One Piece is treasure, but its more than that, its everything they gathered, experienced, learned on their trip. The knowledge they gained, the choices they made. I think one of the theories floating around is true, they found the prophecy of the return of joyboy and decided to wait for him to make the world free again or some such thing.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Ok, side speculation: If we agree with the theory that the series will end with the Gorosei's base on the Red Line being destroyed thus creating All Blue...it seems like Whitebeard's fruit is the perfect tool to do so. So does this happen by Luffy somehow acquiring Blackbeard's fruit? Or by Luffy recruiting Blackbeard? Or a temporary teamup? It doesn't feel right for someone besides Luffy to break the Red Line, even if they're working for him at the time.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-06-05 at 02:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Blackbeard attacks the Red Line with murderous intent and Luffy fights him off, the Gorosei thinking they might actually be able to control Luffy through mutual enemies... only for him to immedaitely shatter the Red Line to pieces because **** you.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I cant remember if it cannon or fannon but didnt rayliegh mention something about the void century and how they made a decision upon reaching the end of the road and learning the true history of the world, and that their decision may be different? It was when they met him at shakkys ripoff bar and learned who he was and robin i think asked about that. He offered to tell her if she really wanted to know. Here it is Thats why I think laugh tale will lead them to the world government. What they will learn about the void century and what the WG has done to hold power and why will somehow force luffy to do something about it. I think One Piece is treasure, but its more than that, its everything they gathered, experienced, learned on their trip. The knowledge they gained, the choices they made. I think one of the theories floating around is true, they found the prophecy of the return of joyboy and decided to wait for him to make the world free again or some such thing.
    It's canon, as seen in the clip. It was in the manga too. Chapter 507. We're further told during Wano why they made the decision to keep silent on the Void Century. Roger knew that he was too early for the return of Joy Boy, and that he wouldn't live to see it. Rayleigh even says that Ohara and the Roger Pirates were "too hasty", pointing to the flashback we get with Roger. Everyone else has been waiting for that moment and it stands to reason that Rayleigh and Shanks both laid those hopes on Luffy. Shanks makes special mention that Luffy's dream is the same as Rogers, to the point he tells that directly to Silvers.

26. - Top - End - #296

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Ok, side speculation: If we agree with the theory that the series will end with the Gorosei's base on the Red Line being destroyed thus creating All Blue...it seems like Whitebeard's fruit is the perfect tool to do so. So does this happen by Luffy somehow acquiring Blackbeard's fruit? Or by Luffy recruiting Blackbeard? Or a temporary teamup? It doesn't feel right for someone besides Luffy to break the Red Line, even if they're working for him at the time.
    Or the three Ancient Weapons.

The first to pass through the destroyed Red Line will be Laboon.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

In case anyone hasn't seen. It looks like One Piece is taking a 1 month break at the end of June before they start the next arc.

28. - Top - End - #298

So can someone tell me exactly how the fight with kaido ended? Somehow I missed that part and skipped right to the post fight celebration with momo making a speech in his new adult body. Also, do we have any official word on big mom and whats up with her? Or is she "presumed dead" but with no body we as readers can assume she survived?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Banned

Luffy punched him.

We last saw big mom like one chapter ago.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So can someone tell me exactly how the fight with kaido ended? Somehow I missed that part and skipped right to the post fight celebration with momo making a speech in his new adult body. Also, do we have any official word on big mom and whats up with her? Or is she "presumed dead" but with no body we as readers can assume she survived?
    Momo successfully moved Onigashima out of the way for Luffy to land that one final knock-out punch, sending Kaidou down deep into the earth, so deep he basically hit the molten core of the world. It causes a minor volcanic eruption but nothing too dangerous. This is also where Big Mom is after SHE fell, and I can basically assure you without even a blink of hesitation that we're gonna get a cover-arc about the two of them patching things up down in the molten crevices of the world.