New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: New One Piece Thread

So... What are the chances Shanks was talking to the Gorosei about Luffy way back in the Reverie arc? Back then, I thought it would be Blackbeard, similar to how Shanks warned Whitebeard about Ace chasing Blackbeard. After this chapter, I'm thinking Shanks could've played the Gorosei and made them plot against Luffy's life, which lead to this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except they made a big deal about how he was dead and his heart was stopped in the previous chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure but he isn't dead now, so you know. Only mostly dead. I actually wonder if his heart stopping wasn't just a function of him Awakening. He is a cartoon now, his heart probably only beats when it needs to fly out of his chest because someone beautiful walked past him. Or in Luffy's case because someone cooked really good food.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Except they made a big deal about how he was dead and his heart was stopped in the previous chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They never said he was dead, the closest was the claim his " Voice " was gone. But people's voices have dissapeared before and they were still alive.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Umm....yes they do say it. Several times.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido says it. The guy whose said he killed Luffy a couple times already.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido says it. The guy whose said he killed Luffy a couple times already.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido is kinda lazy about confirming kills.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido is kinda lazy about confirming kills.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The. Worst. Except when the person took away one of his potential kills. Did a good job confirming that old lady's death.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Umm....yes they do say it. Several times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I say They, I mean Oda. or the Narrator, or a text box, all we get is that Kaido was declared the winner, we never see that Luffy is Dead

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Did everybody spontaneously forget about Luffy's middle name, the "Will of D" and its mysterious link to the forgotten century?

Luffy didn't become destined chosen one with this reveal. He's transparently been one of the chosen few for a very long time now. Luffy was strong guess for modern "Joy Boy" from the moment that term was introduced. If anything, the question is how this reveal ties to the larger mystery surrounding those with name of D.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Did everybody spontaneously forget about Luffy's middle name, the "Will of D" and its mysterious link to the forgotten century?

Luffy didn't become destined chosen one with this reveal. He's transparently been one of the chosen few for a very long time now. Luffy was strong guess for modern "Joy Boy" from the moment that term was introduced. If anything, the question is how this reveal ties to the larger mystery surrounding those with name of D.
    Luffy's the son and grandson of two of the most important people on the planet, yeah he's special. But then again if he wasn't special we wouldn't be following him. It's more people worried that he's not Luffy. That that he's not the same character now that destiny is lining up for him.

Forgetting that if luffy didn't have the personality, will, and drive to do these things, then none of this stuff would have mattered.

Also forgetting he's the main character, the universe literally only exists to help him succeed

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post

Yeah luffy and like 6 other characters currently alive have the D in their name. Its not a sign of being the destined one, its a sign of a troublemaker who will likely do something very troublesome before kicking the bucket. And the reason luffy was a strong guess was because thats how shonen anime works. Its just following the trope. He is the main character, of course he is connected to the ancient mythological legend. The only questions were how is he linked and what will it change? Well, the answers are coming in now.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #42

When I was in high school, a friend invited me to a One Piece game(IIRC it was a Savage World hack) that never went anywhere.

My ideas were a Salt-based Logia user... But he had only recently consumed the fruit so instead of "basically Crocodile" it was more "throw balls of salt particles a people." (At the time I joked that he'd be eating the fruit as he was recruited since it was a game in progress. And not even know he was doing it. He'd be sitting at a bar or something and complaining about how odd his fruit salad tasted.)

The other was a mythical zoan user, a "Snake Snake Fruit: Oroboros model" which mean that if he died under certain circumstances he'd be immediately reborn. This was vetoed since it made stakes difficult, but I had the mental image of a ten-year-old boy with the temperament of a crotchety old man... Because he was a crotchety old man. Otherwise he was just an ordinary snake zoan.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #43

Logia are honestly auto busted in any game for balance. Immunity to damage outside of a specific elemental counter or haki alone is absurd, but just about any elemental or whatever you can think of to change into can be exploited if you munckin hard enough. You have to nerf them hard, like you said, only just got it and has little to no idea how to use it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd probably go with a Pangolin Zoan in a hypothetical One Piece game: 'twas one of the first possibilities I thought off back when I first saw the Drum Island arc, and it seems like great fun to fool around with it: the sharp scale plate "armor", curling up in a ball to defend yourself, attacks incorporating the anteater tongue....

In real life, I'd stick to being able to swim. Ought to be plenty of use for a good swimmer who can hold his breath a while amongst pirate crews.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Logia are honestly auto busted in any game for balance. Immunity to damage outside of a specific elemental counter or haki alone is absurd, but just about any elemental or whatever you can think of to change into can be exploited if you munckin hard enough. You have to nerf them hard, like you said, only just got it and has little to no idea how to use it.
    Suposedly it takes a degree of mastery to do the passive Logia defence thing.
    But yeah after that there is a huge "level" range where people dont have significant Haki mastery.
    And so cant touch you.

Logia users were the final challenge all the way up until the 4 Emperor replaced them as the peak to surpass.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    To quote Tony Stark, everything special about him came from a bottle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Literally the entire point of that quote is that Tony was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I'd probably go with a Pangolin Zoan in a hypothetical One Piece game: 'twas one of the first possibilities I thought off back when I first saw the Drum Island arc, and it seems like great fun to fool around with it: the sharp scale plate "armor", curling up in a ball to defend yourself, attacks incorporating the anteater tongue....

In real life, I'd stick to being able to swim. Ought to be plenty of use for a good swimmer who can hold his breath a while amongst pirate crews.
    Id probably want the kilo kilo or ton ton fruit myself. Those two have great flexibility and potential for munchkinnery. Being able to float or drop a small mountain range worth of weight on a target, possibly being able to channel it as a monk style of combat where I make my limbs super light for speed then at impact BOOM! Get wrecked by a 1 ton impact! I bet becoming feather light would also impact the damage i take because my body wouldnt resist the hit, but fly backwards with it, absorbing almost no force. It would take some serious training to get the timing down but I bet once mastered I would be super scary. In an rpg game I would only go with no fruit if that granted some sort of advantage to learning how to fight since I would be focused on that rather than also on my devil fruit skills.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I say They, I mean Oda. or the Narrator, or a text box, all we get is that Kaido was declared the winner, we never see that Luffy is Dead
    Spoiler
    Show
    We get 2 statements that Straw Hat is dead, followed up by the entire alliance confirming they can no longer hear his "voice" and mourning. Oda loves his death fake-outs (seriously, the man would bring back Uncle Ben if he could), but Luffy's heart was explicitly stopped and has now restarted in a different manner. I suppose we can argue he was only "mostly dead". Thank Goodness for Luffy's desire "to blave" was so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Suposedly it takes a degree of mastery to do the passive Logia defence thing.
    But yeah after that there is a huge "level" range where people dont have significant Haki mastery.
    And so cant touch you.

Logia users were the final challenge all the way up until the 4 Emperor replaced them as the peak to surpass.
    Given Blackbeard and the Admirals they're probably still the final challenge. Unless Oda dives even further into bad writing territory and introduces new antagonists this late in the game. I don't put it past him to resurrect Xebec or something. There's really no tension to the story after
    Spoiler
    Show
    he deus ex machina's his way past Kaido.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Literally the entire point of that quote is that Tony was wrong.
    So Marvel would like you to believe. More to the point, it doesn't matter if you believe Cap proved it wrong. Luffy has yet to do so.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

So Marvel would like you to believe. More to the point, it doesn't matter if you believe Cap proved it wrong. Luffy has yet to do so.
    ...Yes, the writers would like me to believe the narrative point. I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

So you assert, at any rate.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-03-28 at 05:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: 1044
    Show
    Not sure it will change how anyone feels about the reveal, but it was established way back in Skypiea that devil fruits could revive people. The question I have is why this change didn't happen all the other times Luffy has been "killed". Did he need a certain mastery of haki or something?
    Last edited by hungrycrow; 2022-03-28 at 05:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Spoiler: 1044
    Show
    Not sure it will change how anyone feels about the reveal, but it was established way back in Skypiea that devil fruits could revive people. The question I have is why this change didn't happen all the other times Luffy has been "killed". Did he need a certain mastery of haki or something?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not just Skypeia. There's an entire Devil Fruit that brings you back from the dead and it's eater is in the Straw Hat Crew, and there's a Devil Fruit that lets you steal souls.

As for Luffy, I just don't think he's ever been that pushed to the edge and he wasn't close to awakening his Fruit.

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show
    We get 2 statements that Straw Hat is dead, followed up by the entire alliance confirming they can no longer hear his "voice" and mourning. Oda loves his death fake-outs (seriously, the man would bring back Uncle Ben if he could), but Luffy's heart was explicitly stopped and has now restarted in a different manner. I suppose we can argue he was only "mostly dead". Thank Goodness for Luffy's desire "to blave" was so strong.

Given Blackbeard and the Admirals they're probably still the final challenge. Unless Oda dives even further into bad writing territory and introduces new antagonists this late in the game. I don't put it past him to resurrect Xebec or something. There's really no tension to the story after
    Spoiler
    Show
    he deus ex machina's his way past Kaido.

Nah, remember we have whatever the heck that thing/person is the gorusei answer to as some sort of ultimate end boss. Tall black zetsu. Please god let him not be there to summon another kaguya.

24. - Top - End - #54

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Nah, remember we have whatever the heck that thing/person is the gorusei answer to as some sort of ultimate end boss. Tall black zetsu. Please god let him not be there to summon another kaguya.
    Final boss is gonna be Gol D. Roger, who was evil all along! Who then gets possessed by the evil god that made devil fruits.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Final boss is gonna be Gol D. Roger, who was evil all along! Who then gets possessed by the evil god that made devil fruits.
    Naturally, Shanks will turn out to be evil all along too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

And for that matter the Gorusei. Who i still suspect are around 800 years old.
    Kept alive by the age fruit.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm also of the negative opinion on this chapter/reveal, wasn't a fan of any Joy Boy connection to Luffy ever since Fishman Island, would have prefered to keep it limited to a will of D. "they're really similar" kind of thing.

Really cool power up tough, somewhere along the lines of what I expected when I saw Doffy's awakening turning terrain into strings, the cartoon physics are a nice bonus.

Before this chapter I would be fine if the origin of the fruits was never really explored but now I'm hoping for something great tying everything together, Laugh Tale, Lost Century and such.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    I'm also of the negative opinion on this chapter/reveal, wasn't a fan of any Joy Boy connection to Luffy ever since Fishman Island, would have prefered to keep it limited to a will of D. "they're really similar" kind of thing.

Really cool power up tough, somewhere along the lines of what I expected when I saw Doffy's awakening turning terrain into strings, the cartoon physics are a nice bonus.

Before this chapter I would be fine if the origin of the fruits was never really explored but now I'm hoping for something great tying everything together, Laugh Tale, Lost Century and such.
    I agree with the similar because of will of d thing. I liked that better, it was just a sign that he is likely to do something impressive because pretty much anyone with a D for a middle name does something impressive. I could see him being another joyboy along the lines of being the next pirate king. It doesnt make him roger reborn, it just makes him the next person to pull off the legendary feat. THAT would have been ideal to my mind.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

personally i hate this reveal. like really hate it. sure luffy has never been the underdog (will of d, literally every family member is op, joy boy bs.) but this is just stupid. it takes luffy from someone who had a crappy fruit and used creativity and willpower to make it work, to someone with the power of god and anime on his side, that was just too inept to realize he even had it. luffy didn't earn it either, which also leaves a bad taste in my mouth. for most of his upgrades luffy either A) trains hard for something (gear 4, haki) B) finds a creative use of his fruit in a moment of desperation (gear 2, gear 3) or C) ties multiple things together (attacks mostly like king kong gun). sure there are outliers, but mostly he earns his new abilities. here he just gets KOd and then just... becomes jesus? oda really sacrificed narrative for a cool moment

30. - Top - End - #60

...Wasn't it stated quite explicitly by Oda that, regardless of what it seems and what certain characters think, that all devil fruits are equally powerful and that likewise, a user doesn't become more powerful.

All that matters is how well the user can use it and how creative they are with its powers?

This really is thus only relevant fr character reactions. Luffy is still exactly as powerful/special as he was before, there's just a different label on it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks