New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New One Piece Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Non-awakened zoans still have a boost to their physicals. If he'd been presented as a zoan from the start it would be fine. As it is now, it retroactively diminishes his previous achievements. Finding out your protagonist has had a bunch of extra innate power for the last 1,000 chapters that we weren't told about is going to change how those previous chapters are perceived. It just does. There's no way around it.

Edit: Wait....are you seriously linking a theory that came out 7 whole chapters before the dues ex machina? Everyone knew where the story was going by that point. Who's Who and the Gurosei had just got done telling us. His whole post is stuff that happened in the last 20 chapters and then "Enel kinda looks like him at one point" That's not foreshadowing, nor is it impressive that he figured out Luffy's fruit was special after we were explicitly told so.

The fan base was just still in denial about it at that point because it's such terrible writing that no one wanted to believe that's where the story was going, and people were trying to convince themselves it was momo or the dumping girl that ate the deus ex machina fruit. The idea that Luffy would awaken his fruit has been a common and openly mocked theory since the chapters with Who's Who. Now that we're stuck with it people are rationalizing it.
    No one's saying you have to like the development, but no one is trying to psychoanalyze why you don't like it. You're allowed to not like things but acting as if anyone who disagrees with you is either coping and really "knows it's bad and just rationalizing it" says a lot more about you than it does about them. The fact that you're doing it here, where the reddit people can't argue back is also a particularly bad look.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    No one's saying you have to like the development, but no one is trying to psychoanalyze why you don't like it. You're allowed to not like things but acting as if anyone who disagrees with you is either coping and really "knows it's bad and just rationalizing it" says a lot more about you than it does about them. The fact that you're doing it here, where the reddit people can't argue back is also a particularly bad look.
    Oh gosh, I hope I don't look bad. The only reason I mentioned the sub was that I didn't want Dragonus to feel like I was calling him out personally. I don't know why you think I'd be shy about making my opinion known there anyway. My opinions don't change based on whether or not I think they'll be popular with my current audience. I doubt yours do either.

It's objective fact that the idea of Luffy's fruit being a secret god fruit was a common theory that was openly mocked by the majority of the fandom prior to 1044. All you have to do is go look at the top upvoted posts three weeks ago.

https://old.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...certain_fruit/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...hesis_on_1043/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co..._faith_in_oda/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...redictions_go/

There were many many more, but Reddit's search function is awful. Especially if you have to go out more than a month.

After 1044 the majority of the sub is praising it. Now maybe the demographic of the sub changed drastically over the course of a few chapters. That's the other explanation. Which do you think is more likely? That the first million subs left and were replaced by a new million with different opinions, or that the public perception of this development changed once they realized the theory they were mocking is actually canon?
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-04-04 at 10:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I don't generally assign motives to people without talking to them first if I can help it, honestly. I don't know and I genuinely don't care what most people think about the series. If I'm going to make idle speculation about a series, I'd rather do it about the content and not the people who also read the content.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-04-04 at 10:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Since apparently I need to share with the class, here. And no Luffy suddenly doesn't become less cool from this because recovery times. Because he wasn't awakened in the past in those fights.
    I looked through that. Honestly the only thing that makes this different from any of the other utterly insane OP theories i have seen.
    Is that it actually proved correct.

Paramecia fruit users also get super powers. We always knew Luffy had super powers, and we have seen him train and sweat and bleed to win every battle he fought in real time. This doesn't erase all that just because it turned out his fruit was a red raspberry instead of strawberry. It just doesn't. There is no way.
    Technically all fruit users get super powers yes. Though some are a -lot- more super than others.
    But Paramecia "only" gets weird powers. Its zoan who gets a physical attribute boost.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

After 1044 the majority of the sub is praising it. Now maybe the demographic of the sub changed drastically over the course of a few chapters. That's the other explanation. Which do you think is more likely? That the first million subs left and were replaced by a new million with different opinions, or that the public perception of this development changed once they realized the theory they were mocking is actually canon?
    If you just don't like it that's fine free internet whatever. {Scrubbed}

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I looked through that. Honestly the only thing that makes this different from any of the other utterly insane OP theories i have seen.
    Is that it actually proved correct.
    {Scrubbed}

Technically all fruit users get super powers yes. Though some are a -lot- more super than others.
    But Paramecia "only" gets weird powers. Its zoan who gets a physical attribute boost.
    Sometimes yes, Luffy's rubber body has always been called out as giving him a physical advantage.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-04-06 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    If you just don't like it that's fine free internet whatever. But you don't get to pretend your belief that the story should be something different from what it is is the same as it being bad. Nor do you get to pretend anyone who disagrees with you is a delusional bufoon huffing copium to survive.

I have been told Denial isn't just a great club downtown.

Sometimes yes, Luffy's rubber body has always been called out as giving him a physical advantage.
    I mean heck, by inflating his hand the dude punched out the entire side of a castle at enis lobby without haki, tekkai, or any other toughening/strengthening technique. And that was WAY pre time skip power wise.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean heck, by inflating his hand the dude punched out the entire side of a castle at enis lobby without haki, tekkai, or any other toughening/strengthening technique. And that was WAY pre time skip power wise.
    By inflating his bones, minor nitpick.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    And that provides extra strength how? If anything it should weaken him, A balloon doesnt weigh much more because you inflated it. *EDIT* If anything it counts as foreshadowing as a LOT of his rubber abilities worked off cartoon physics. Pumping blood faster doesnt increase your speed. Inflating part of yourself doesnt increase its actual mass, and shouldnt turn you into an 8 year old. Jet culverin shouldnt possibly stretch that far. etc etc etc
    Last edited by Traab; 2022-04-05 at 06:02 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

I don't generally assign motives to people without talking to them first if I can help it, honestly. I don't know and I genuinely don't care what most people think about the series. If I'm going to make idle speculation about a series, I'd rather do it about the content and not the people who also read the content.
    The only reason the sub is relevant to anything is because we're talking about theories that originated on that sub. I was pointing out that the theory posted was not unique and the discussion snowballed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I've never claimed to speak for anyone but myself, or to make it seem like your views are any less valid than mine. I apologize if I did so. Feel free to assume that when I'm making statements like "this is bad" I'm only speaking about my personal opinion rather than stating objective truths.

Yes, but now he has both the rubber body and zoan physicals. He didn't trade one for the other. It's purely a power-up.

Like, Zoro has always been a physical monster as well. What if we found out that he was so strong because he ate the 3-sword fruit. Would you consider his achievements diminished in that light? Because that's the exact scenario many of us are dealing with in regards to Luffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    High blood pressure doesn't give super-speed either. None of Luffy's gears have ever "worked" scientifically. That's true for lots of Fruits though.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And that provides extra strength how? If anything it should weaken him, A balloon doesnt weigh much more because you inflated it. *EDIT* If anything it counts as foreshadowing as a LOT of his rubber abilities worked off cartoon physics. Pumping blood faster doesnt increase your speed. Inflating part of yourself doesnt increase its actual mass, and shouldnt turn you into an 8 year old. Jet culverin shouldnt possibly stretch that far. etc etc etc
    Only if we also consider it foreshadowing that the smooth-smooth fruit turns you into a beautiful woman, or the split-split fruit allows most of your body to fly (or transform into a go-cart), or the dango-dango fruit allows animal control. The point being, that the powers conferred by lots of fruits only have the barest connection to their name. Especially the paramecias. The fact that Luffy's powers don't work as advertised has always been completely normal for the setting.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-04-06 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Scrub the post

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Inflating whatever by blowing pressurized gas into it, increases the inflated thing's mass by the mass of the gass. A nitpick, yes, but let's not get completely aphysical here.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {Scrubbed}

No. The only physical advantage that has been attributed to Luffy's rubber body, is a complete immunity to regular punches and round bullets.
    Well that and reach. But thats a different kind of advantage.

Only if we also consider it foreshadowing that the smooth-smooth fruit turns you into a beautiful woman, or the split-split fruit allows most of your body to fly (or transform into a go-cart), or the dango-dango fruit allows animal control. The point being, that the powers conferred by lots of fruits only have the barest connection to their name. Especially the paramecias. The fact that Luffy's powers don't work as advertised has always been completely normal for the setting.
    Oh yeah absolutely. Or the soap fruit allows you to wash power away?
    There is absolutely zero foreshadowing in what Luffy did with his fruit.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-04-07 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Scrubbed

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

The meltdown continuing is probably my second favorite thing about One Piece at this point and the constant assertions that this all wasn't foreshadowed is just added spice.

Chapter 1046 spoilers are out though their light. The last two chapters, the rush to get spoilers out on Youtube and some leakers sharing pictures before the general cut off has caused a lot of leakers to scale back for the time being.

Spoiler: 1046
    Show
    Double nesting as usual. If you read below, you're reading spoilers for next chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's called Raizo. The set up of his plan is coming to fruition. It's related to the fires and getting everyone away safe. Luffy vs Kaido is also in the chapter. It's apparently really well drawn.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-04-06 at 03:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

At this point I've accepted that the story is trashed for at least this arc. I'm just hoping we'll get some shots of Luffy that will help differentiate his style from the current super saiyan/Naruto ripoff thing he's going going. Maybe once I see the official coloration I'll like the design better.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright, since I haven't noticed anyone else mention it:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why is Oda spending time on Zorro being in a near death state? He's no GRR Martin that culls long standing characters. My only guess it's to master Enma.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

It's to show the effects of the medicine and also probably some sort of Enma stuff. He's only had one major highlight of him being near death and then another where Franky rescues him.

Show
    He does show up in this week's chapter, but Franky has him. This chapter seems to be another "where is everyone" considering it's about saving the islands from the flames.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

At this point I've accepted that the story is trashed for at least this arc. I'm just hoping we'll get some shots of Luffy that will help differentiate his style from the current super saiyan/Naruto ripoff thing he's going going. Maybe once I see the official coloration I'll like the design better.
    I agree with you, this chosen one business, especially this late in the story, is bad writing imo. I had hoped luffy would just have parallels to joy boy, instead of being his destined Fruit-reincarnation.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Important descentant had been fine. There was the bit about will of D, passed down between generations.
    That was cool.

This bit about zoan fruits having their own will?
    Less so.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    I agree with you, this chosen one business, especially this late in the story, is bad writing imo. I had hoped luffy would just have parallels to joy boy, instead of being his destined Fruit-reincarnation.
    Honestly, im resigned, its a shonen manga, and while they were running was part of the big three. Remind me how they tended to go towards the end? Oh yeah, main character turns out to be the super special fated one with all sorts of amazing abilities that come more or less out of nowhere, but not entirely as there were some bits and pieces that justify it. We all should have seen it coming as one piece isnt exactly a subversion of the tropes. I mean, im pretty sure we all knew there would be A connection to joyboy, all that remained was seeing the precise form it took. And here we are. I would have preferred a gol d roger sort of connection. Not a direct line, but he becomes the next person to fill that role. Not out of fate or destiny, but because its what he wants to be. Or just the kind of thing he does. He isnt going to become king of the pirates because 95 generations ago the ancients foretold blah de bloo, he is going to become king of the pirates because thats his freaking goal. The one he decided to go for, not one that was thrust upon him. And being the next joyboy should have been the same. Luffy IS well known for supporting freedom. He has freed multiple kingdoms over the years and helped countless people who he has befriended along the way. By making it about his devil fruit, it diminishes luffy and his choices. He isnt a threat because he is monkey d luffy, he is a threat because he awakened a legendary devil fruit.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

At least we haven't reached Naruto and Tower of God levels yet. That bull made me root for the villains.
    Gee, i was really a fan of Kabuto.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Funny enough. Naruto didnt disapoint me as much.
    Perhaps because it didnt fall from quite as lofty a spot.
    While.. Tower of God? it honestly kinda lost me already after the betrayal.
    Power kreep just got to crazy there.

I do admire OP for, after 20 years, still not having gone quite as crazy as other noteworthy titles.

21. - Top - End - #141

I do admire OP for, after 20 years, still not having gone quite as crazy as other noteworthy titles.
    While I mock naruto for the power explosion over the course of a single day of fighting a war, at least most of his skills were more or less ones he already had and mastered. Using demonic chakra, using sage mode, then learning to combine the two. The way he managed to basically learn new ways to use and combine them all in a single day is crazy though. Its like how I had no problem with luffy and his gears. They at least made some sort of rubber related sense. Its not like he suddenly leapt into and animated a mountain with no foreshadowing. Power creep by itself isnt an issue, again, its one of the primary tropes of shonen stories. The only variation is scope of the power creep. Shattering castles to shattering towns, versus blowing up moons to making all of the universe be in danger of breaking apart.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Full chapter for 1046 is out.

Show
    If you don't want spoilers for this week's chapter, go away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Raizo's plan was, as expected, to get rid of the flame. It's a cool tie back with his time on Zou and the chaos it's caused is pretty great. The picture's a little hard to follow but it seems Jinbe is using Fishman Karate to punch holes through Onigashima down to the other levels for the water to flow and spill out. How this will effect everyone will be in next chapter I imagine.

Luffy and Kaido are also fighting and it's not the one sided power stomp that the increasingly toxic "Muh Chozenwun" crowd had been crying over. Kaido's held his own even after Luffy's awakened though it seems like he's finally at his limit. Dude's tanked Luffy three times, Zoro, Law, the Nine Scabbards, all the minks in Sulong, Kid, Killer and Yamato in a single night. Luffy may, and we always knew he would, get the 1v1 win but it's been a long road to hoe. Kaido truly is as beastly as we've been told.

Onigashima is falling however. High chance that Zunesha finally comes in clutch and helps out.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Man, Tower of God lost quality so fast. It was so good back when it focused on the puzzles and games. Khun especially is a great character. Then they just turned Bam into a typical shonen Mary Sue and it all fell apart.

Snip
    I can't speak for everyone, but I personally don't appreciate being called toxic or you stating that criticisms are crying simply because you don't agree with them.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Man, Tower of God lost quality so fast. It was so good back when it focused on the puzzles and games. Khun especially is a great character. Then they just turned Bam into a typical shonen Mary Sue and it all fell apart.
    It is likely the sharpest decline in quality i can think off.
    Since it started so different from all the simular power fantasy stories.
    And then suddenly just went insane on the power creeping.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    If you don't want spoilers for this week's chapter, go away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Raizo's plan was, as expected, to get rid of the flame. It's a cool tie back with his time on Zou and the chaos it's caused is pretty great. The picture's a little hard to follow but it seems Jinbe is using Fishman Karate to punch holes through Onigashima down to the other levels for the water to flow and spill out. How this will effect everyone will be in next chapter I imagine.

Luffy and Kaido are also fighting and it's not the one sided power stomp that the increasingly toxic "Muh Chozenwun" crowd had been crying over. Kaido's held his own even after Luffy's awakened though it seems like he's finally at his limit. Dude's tanked Luffy three times, Zoro, Law, the Nine Scabbards, all the minks in Sulong, Kid, Killer and Yamato in a single night. Luffy may, and we always knew he would, get the 1v1 win but it's been a long road to hoe. Kaido truly is as beastly as we've been told.

Onigashima is falling however. High chance that Zunesha finally comes in clutch and helps out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea the toxicity around the haters for these last two chapters is astounding, I'm hoping once this chapter drops more publicly it becomes more clear how much of the overreaction has been running too wild with too little information to draw anything like a real conclusion about what this actually means for the story. Zunesha will probably get to exposit some once everything is over and we can start panicking then really.

The fight is still looking great, and Kaido has absolutely delivered with this borderline Rasputinian series of fights he has been through. I have to wonder if this is going to be a high point for actual fighting and combat in the story or if there is something even wilder hiding away waiting to ambush us.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Momonosuke will pull through and save the flower capital, but it may be after a pep talk/confidence boost from Zunesha, since he is the one who can both hear and speak to him.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Momonosuke will pull through and save the flower capital, but it may be after a pep talk/confidence boost from Zunesha, since he is the one who can both hear and speak to him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh I totally agree. It's the most logical solution and sets him up as Oden returned and the new Shogun he's intended to be. If he does it by commanding Zunesha, which we know he can do, or does it through his own powers I'm not sure. It's also totally possible the Bounce House theory becomes true where Luffy turns the ground to rubber or Onigashima itself to rubber and bounces it. I'm putting my money on Momo though, too much build up and set up on it being him rather than Luffy.

28. - Top - End - #148

Yeah Momo needs a victory of his own to secure his place here. Yes the people will support him, but outside of wano? A weak boy king ruling over a valuable piece of real estate is going to trigger issues. If he makes a big showing as a dragon lord who saved his people through his power and abilities, it would give him some more protection long term.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

From the sound of things, the wider world is going through some stuff. We still don't know what happened with Sabo and the Revolutionaries at the Reverie. With Nefertari Cobra also likely dead and the Luffy Fanclub there, along with Bonnie and Kuma there's just so much up in the air. Oda's done a good job using Wano's isolation to keep us out of the loop of the wider story in a way we haven't had before this. Not to mention the Warlords have been dissolved, and we have no idea what the SSG actually is. There's a lot going on here in the end game.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-04-09 at 08:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Please do keep spoilering things.
    As the official version has not yet been released.