New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Thread: Escape from Old Korvosa [IC]

"I believe that we have helped stem the tide of the blood veil," Vivino begins. "But at least for myself I don't think we properly dealt with those involved. Perhaps we need to figure out .... I'm just carrying on like I know more than the small part I gave played so far.

Please Master Shyamal, could you please enlighten us on what else is plaguing this city and how we could best help?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Master Shyamal smiles, "I asked you here - admittedly, while I mentioned this before - because a diviner of my association said I should gather those worthies I thought would fight for Korovosa rather than simply pull up tent stakes. And, as I said before, my information network pegged each of you as being exceptional or skilled in some way. But I told you this already.

"What I hadn't told you is that I should have you here at this day and at this time, for something will come to me that will affect you all. And here it is,"
    and with that, he holds up a handwritten note. "From a friend of mine. It seems Queen Ileosa had announced a surprise public address now that it is clear that the plague has well and truly reached its end. The announcement was to be held an hour after the criers put out the word. You may have heard bells ring while we had our repast, but my home has many internal waterfalls and is well screened from unnecessary noise. Well," and here he holds up another handwritten note, this one scrawled in a much hastier hand but with more information, "it seems that my timing the meal as a proper host and the time of the Harrow as saved anyone from risky action. For this second missive is dire, and if any of you thought yourselves up to the challenge, it is likely you would surely be lost. So, will you agree or no, the diviner's merit is not only gathering you, but in knowing me well enough that you would be kept out of harm's way while this happened." (That final emphasis is with him holding the second missive.)

He passes around the second missive for the group to peruse themselves. As fate would have it, it ends up in the smallest person's hands .... those of Linzi, Dane Thunderbreaker's newest personal assistant, to replace his most recent cohort's moving on to better things.

Linzi speaks, and in a clear, high-pitched, bell-like speaking voice, showing that the halfling girl was actually a master speaker, "Master Shyamal, hearken well what has occurred, and set for yourself if you would stay here in this city if you could...

"We gathered to hear the words of Queen Ileosa II, especially now that it is public knowledge that Dr. Davaulus was behind the disease. Attending this address at the queen's side were her bodyguard (and some quietly and furtively accuse a more intimate relation) Sabina Merrin, clad in her breathtaking and intimidating suit of Gray Maiden armor .... and her recently posted advisor Togomor, whom the queen announced as taken up the duties of castle seneschal. Also in close comport was the commander of the Korvosan Guard Cressida Kroft, and the commandant of the Sable Company Marcus Endrin.

"As her address began, Queen Ileosa - wearing an unfamiliar, fang-adorned crown - announced triumphantly that the plague had been lifted at the cost of the life of its architect - the treacherous Doctor Davaulus - whose body has been cremated and ashes sent back to his family in Cheliax as an affrontery for the death he caused, for now there is no body to bury in his family's vault. The order of the Queen's Physicians has been disbanded as well.

"Yet, the queen marked that Korvosa remains wounded, for she reports that the Order of the Nail has shown its true colors and fled like cowards to Citadel Vraid. Worse, both the Korvosan Guard and the Sable Company have suffered terrible losses over the past weeks. Neither group is fully capable of continuing as Korvosa's protectors, and thus, to shore up this fault, Queen Ileosa names the Gray Maidens has the official new protectors of Korvosa, appointing Sabina Merrin as the city's new general.

"As a ripple of concerned whispers - and I must admit my own among them - spread, Queen Ileosa turned her attention to the Sable Company. Citing the fact that the care and feeding of the company's hippogriff mounts places too great a strain on the city's coffers (surely an exaggeration!); and the fact that the company's commander, Seneschal Neolandus Kalepopolis, fled the city rather than stay by her side in her time of need, Ileosa has decided to disband the organization and seize its holdings. At that point, she asked Commandant Endrin to step forward to surrender his badge of office.

"As Endrin did so, he trembled. He reached for his badge, but instead of handing it over, he threw it at the queen, striking her queen. Everyone (queen included) was shocked into paralysis for a few moments, long enough for Endrin to bellow out, 'Your shameful reign ends now! Korvosa will be free again!' An instant later, his bow was in his hand, aimed at the still-frozen queen. Endrin fired and his aim was true. The arrow struck Queen Ileosa in the right temple, sinking deep into her skull.

"Yet ... she did not fall.

"With incredible speed, she regained her composure and yanked the arrow from her skull. Before blood from the wound had time to run all the way down to her jaw, she’s standing before Endrin. Her free hand whips out and seizes him by the throat, lifting him off the ground and holding him up for all to see. An instant later, she stabs Endrin’s own arrow up under his jaw and out the side of his face with a spray of blood.

"As Endrin’s body crumpled to the ground, Ileosa imperiously shook his blood from her hand and cried out a strong, clear voice, 'This shall be the fate of all enemies of Korvosa! Mark well his punishment! It is only the first!'

"A moment later, Togomor stepped forward, taking Ileosa’s hand and presumably teleporting her back into the castle, for he spoke words of power and they did both disappear.

"There was a riot that resulted that was quelled quickly .... and brutally ... by the Gray Maidens. I am told Field Marshal Cressida Kroft fled to Citadel Volshyenek. I am stunned and horrified by what we all witnessed, knowing that things have indeed taken a turn for the worse in our city."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-07 at 09:33 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Dane is stunned after hearing the contents and looks around wife much concern.
    "I must get back to my family, if things are truly this bad than perhaps they should leave the city. At the very least I need to warn my uncle and friends."
    Last edited by Rithryn; 2022-04-08 at 04:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

SamuraiGirl

Ernak smiles as the last fortunes are read, though the chatter on their meaning turns that smile into a more puzzled expression. This confused but happy face sinks, however, as Master Shyamal hints at bad news, and it turns into an outright frown as Linzi reads the letter aloud.

"I'll need to check on my parents as well: what's bad for Korvosa is usually worse for its Shoanti,"
    Ernak says grimly, "I guess this is war between the Sable Company and the queen's Gray Maidens then? And who knows what the Guard are thinking. Bah!" Ernak throws up his hands in frustration before furrowing his brows as he tries to make sense of the situation. Finally, he states more positively, "My thanks again, Master Shyamal, for pulling us out of that fire then. My debt to your kindness grows."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

"Shot point-blank in the head, and none the worse for it, huh. That... does seem to happen strangely often with royalty, doesn't it?" Runa says, tilting her head in thought, "Is she really that unpopular? He made it sound like more than simply lashing out over losing his position."

6. - Top - End - #36

Master Shymamal looks apologetic. "Please forgive, but I listen to the murmurings of the people, but have no sources in the castle. I cannot comment on what at this time is speculation."

A servant comes in with another dispatch, but the simple vellum makes one think it comes from a different source. Master Shyamal reads it. "But, before you go, Dane ... and Vivino. I have a dispatch just sent me from Field Marshal Cressida Kroft. She urgently asks that the two of you - and any other persons you might come to rely on or trust - go straightway to meet with her at Citadel Volshyenek. I have a feeling that what she says for the both of you, might benefit out new friends here as well?"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

”Al’ama!”, Barris whispers loudly. Her tone followed by a slightly sheepish look would tell you this was an epithet even if you don’t speak the language.

“I just thought I would work tonight. If you will allow, I and my friend will accompany you. I don’t know her, but I have admired Miss Croft from afar during the recent events. I would here what she has to say after leaving the Queen’s service.”, she says to Vivino and Dane.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

"Not as if I've anywhere else to be, and some answers would be much appreciated. I'd like to come along as well, if you'll have us," Runa says, evidently referring to herself and Diva.

9. - Top - End - #39

Beholder

As Vivino recovers from the shock of what he just heard, the processing begins. Though unheard, it seems he mutters briefly to himself before turning to them all. "Thank you Master Shyamal and Linzi for enlightening us about the situation. I had no idea how bad things had become while we were concentrating on the blood veil."

Vivino looks at each face in the room that have gathered, "Thank you for everything you do for this town and us Master Shyamal.

Master Shyamal has reached out to each of you for a reason, and personally I would welcome any and all help with this problem. I welcome you all to join us and hope that you choose to travel with us to meet the Field Marshall. Thank you for those that have already offered,"
    nodding to Barris, Runa, and Diva. "I can tell that you all recoginize the gravity of the situation and hope that you will join us as we seek to learn more and hopefully find a way to help the people of this city."

10. - Top - End - #40

SamuraiGirl

Ernak's frown transforms into a grin as Master Shymamal reveals the second dispatch. "I ask for the Guard's plans, and the gods send an answer!" he laughs.

As the others share their decisions, Ernak looks troubled, though he nods at their words. Finally, he speaks somberly and slowly as he works through his conflicted thoughts aloud, "I will join you. If Ileosa already ended the riot, there is time to talk with the captain first and with kin second once better-informed. Seeing the Field Marshal is a simple way to honor our host's kindness, and if it helps the city, more's the better. Yes, I will go, if you will have me." All uncertainty fades from his face as Ernak relaxes into this new resolution with a large, easy smile once more.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Dane looks torn and says.
    "I'll go, but I need you to send someone to inform my family on my behalf. Is that something you'll do?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Jacintha pursed her lips, wondering what to say. She privately thought that if the Gray Maidens could get Korvosa under control, that would be an impressive feat, and maybe not the worst thing to happen to the city -- though she had a hard time imagining what the place would actually be like. Still, the way in which the Gray Maidens had so far risen to power was... concerning. Something told Jacintha that there was more going on than just city politics...

"I will come along as well," Jacintha finally states. "I'm probably the least affected by this of anyone here, but for all I know that could change soon. Besides, since you've welcomed me in so far, the least I can do is do something for you." She had no idea how long she would stay with this group, but for the moment, they were allies, and that was something she didn't have a lot of. Best to follow along and see where this path would take her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

13. - Top - End - #43

Master Shyamal says, "I need to go out and view things myself, so I will contact them personally, Dane."

With that, he sees the heroes(-to-be) out, being sure that they understand how to get to Citadel Volshyenek if they don't know.

Once the PCs get to the citadel, they might be shocked when they arrive to see the place so understaffed. Only one guard stands at the citadel entrance, and none train in the large inner courtyard. The citadel halls are silent and empty, with refuse and trash scattered here and there, dust gathering in empty barracks, and an overall state of creeping neglect hanging over the place like a pall.

Cressida Kroft looks haggard and tired when the PCs arrive; she ushers them into the central keep quickly, leading them into a smaller meeting room in the depths of the keep to a doorway that, when opened, reveals what appears to be a room filled with fog. Beyond is a plain-looking chamber with a single long table (on which sits a small closed coffer) and enough chairs for the PCs, their two cohorts, and herself.

After everyone is seated, she speaks in a low voice. “Korvosa is dying. No, strike that. Korvosa is being murdered. Killed by our queen. The evidence you’ve uncovered that links her to the plague is damning enough, but now that she’s disbanded the Sable Company and reallocated our own funding to the Gray Maidens, she’s more in control now than ever. I dare not move against her, as my guards would be executed to the last fighter by her Gray Maidens before sundown. But she must be stopped. And I know of no one else but you to do this deed.

“Whatever foul magic the queen has wrapped herself in is obviously of the highest order. Endrin’s aim was true, and his shot should have dropped her. I had feared he was going to take matters into his own hands like this, but hoped he would find it within himself to find a better route. If only he could have waited.

“You see, just this morning, new information came to me. Vencarlo Orisini’s been one of my most trusted sources of information regarding the public; it’s hard for an officer of the Korvosan Guard to get honest opinions from the citizens, and Vencarlo’s observations on these topics have been a godsend, particularly since the plague started. When the queen quarantined Old Korvosa, I’d feared his messages would end, yet he managed to find ways to smuggle updates to me every day. Recently, he wrote of discovering something of vital importance regarding the queen. He mentions something about dark magic and a pact with a devil, but until the events of this morning, I found his claims difficult to believe. But even more astounding, he hinted he’d found a lead on Seneschal Kalepopolis, and implied the man might still be in hiding in Old Korvosa!

“That was the last I heard from him. It’s been several days, and I’ve started to worry for his safety. The rumors about riots and gangs seizing control of entire neighborhoods in Old Korvosa are disturbing. Certainly, the plumes of smoke we all see rising from fires on the island are proof that as bad as things are elsewhere, they’re probably worse in Old Korvosa.

“I can see a time in the near future when the Korvosan Guard is disbanded as well. Even now I lack the resources to mount my own investigations. Which is where you come in. Trusting Dane and Vivino .... and their predecessors ... may have been my best decision over the past several months, for you hold the possibility of Korvosa’s salvation. I ask you to seek out Vencarlo in Old Korvosa, and to learn more of what he’s discovered about the nature of our queen’s increasingly violent and destructive turns of personality. Ironically, you should actually be safer in Old Korvosa, since the queen’s quarantine has cut off the island entirely, and word on the street is that she plans on leaving it to rot. She won’t think to look for you there if you maintain a low profile and avoid confrontations with the Gray Maidens. Once you contact Vencarlo, we can only hope what he’s discovered will suggest a course of action we can take to save the city!”

Cressida suggests that Vencarlo’s home near the grounds of the Orisini Academy (she can give directions) should be their first stop in attempting to track him down. She’s heard rumors about a new leader who has risen to power in the streets and is calling himself the “Emperor of Old Korvosa,” but hasn’t yet been able to determine who this man is. If Vencarlo’s not in his home, a meeting with the island’s new self-appointed ruler might turn up the swordmaster’s trail, but Cressida prompts caution here. Whoever this “emperor” is, he’s likely a dangerous man indeed.

Cressida goes on to say that as important as finding out what’s befallen her friend Vencarlo is to her, discovering what actually happened to Seneschal Kalepopolis is of even greater concern to the city. Not only might Kalepopolis have valuable insights into what’s going on with the queen, but his return may well give those who oppose Queen Ileosa a legal way to, if not remove her from the throne, at least wrest away some of her power.

"I can't 'pay' you, but I small cache of potions and wands I am willing to give those of you willing to undertake this mission into Old Korvosa. Will you take this burden upon yourselves?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

"I don't know if this is what Gozreh guided me here to do, but... it's hard to think of anything else that could be more amiss. It certainly sounds like there's more going on than mere political strife... and, well, you're clearly at your wit's end with the situation, else you wouldn't be asking treason of strangers, eh?" Runa says, folding her arms and closing her eyes in thought, "...I have some questions, though. Who is this Seneschal? And what's happened to Old Korvosa? I'm sure Dane and Vivino are familiar with these things, but... I'll admit that I don't keep myself versed in civics or the like."

15. - Top - End - #45

Cressida answers, "The Seneschal Neolandus Kalepopolis disappeared mysteriously a few weeks ago when the king died and Queen Ileosa was crowned. The Seneschal technically has the power to call no-confidence in the reigning monarch, as their loyalty is to Korvosa first, the crown second. In such a case, he would call upon me and my Guard ... also Korvosa first, crown second ... to make sure that the crown in such a case were put down. Neolandus is well-liked by the people, and should he be present and formally charge the queen to lay down her crown, the rest of the city would stand behind him. Gray Maidens or not, the queen would then be hard pressed to control the whole of the city.

"Since the blood veil plague had hit, at its zenith Old Korvosa was quarantined for it is where the greatest number of the diseased had been, and it was seen by some of my contemporaries as a means of 'the poor and degenerate burning themselves out.'"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Beholder

"Thank you for seeing us Field Marshall, and offering what you can is these trying times. I am not caught up with all the news as many don't like to talk to me much..." Vivino looks away for a moment. "But I can tell pain in the people and the city when I see it. I will do what I can to help your friend and seek what information there is about what has happened to the Queen."

Vivino then looks to his compatriots, "I know that this may not be what you have thought to have signed up for, but I know that I will need your help going forward; not to mention those in this city itself, let alone Old Korvosa."

"Marshall, is there anything else that you can tell us about your friend and the best way to get to his home or what to look for? Anything would be helpful."

17. - Top - End - #47

"I shall only give what little more I know to those who wish to move forward. If anyone wishes to back out, they do so now with no more information," she says.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

"If that is the case than my job isn't done yet. I joined this group to save the people of Korvosa, now they need us more than ever. Whatever you need I'll do what I can."

19. - Top - End - #49

"I thought the matter of the plague was all but resolved by now, but it's still quarantined?" Runa asks, "Guess I'd just end up looking into it on my own, anyhow, and I can already tell how well that would go. Sure, I'm in."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Barris nods her head, "I came to this city for the opportunity to start anew away from war and strife. But if I am what there is to defend that freedom and peace, then so be it. I will accompany you, Vivino."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGirl

Jacintha nods. Old Korsova's my home. It's not much, but it's home. And what I said before still stands. Besides, you might have an easier time finding your way if I'm around -- who else here is as familiar with the place as I?" Truth be told, she was mostly familiar with the Shingles, but even so... she reckoned her street smarts would prove useful to this group.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

22. - Top - End - #52

SamuraiGirl

Ernak takes in the decaying citadel with wonder, having never imagined he'd freely see its insides. His eyes widen in shock at Kroft's revelation of the queen's conspiracies and infernal magics and then narrow in contemplation as she lays out her plan. The giant of a man thinks inwardly about the various names the Field Marshal drops--Vencarlo, Orisini Academy, the Emperor of Old Korvosa--wracking his mind for anything he might have heard about them previously.

Finally, he answers Kroft's question of intentions. With a nod to Jacintha, Ernak states, "Old Korvosa is my home as well, and I will will fight for her too. I am not much for city politics, so this is all largely new to me. But if what you say is true, this will sweep us up whether we want to or not, so we might as well go forward with eyes open instead of cowering in the dark. Plus... it will be good to check on old friends there face-to-face instead of only through smuggled letters. But does the plague still linger in Old Korvosa? I am no doctor, so I'm not sure how we can avoid catching the blood veil ourselves once inside. I suppose if you have a wand of remove disease, I would welcome it."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If possible/permissible, Ernak will take 10 on knowledge checks (via bardic lore master) regarding Vencarlo Orisini, the Orisini Academy, and the Emperor of Old Korvosa. He grew up in the slums, so I'm curious if any of those names would ring a bell from his youth.

23. - Top - End - #53

Cressida puts several items on the table, describing what they are and command words, where necessary.
    • (4) potions of cure serious wounds
    • (3) potions of lesser restoration
    • wand of invisibility (10 charges)
    • wand of cure moderate wounds (30 charges)

After handing out the gear, Cressida urges the PCs to make haste to Old Korvosa and track down Vencarlo. She doubts the queen will take long to recover from the indignation of the failed assassination, and once she does, the field marshal fears she might make things very difficult for those who remain within the city walls. Assuming the PCs ask how to infiltrate the quarantined island, Cressida suggests swimming or taking a skiff from the northern banks of the Jeggare, optimally under the cover of darkness to avoid notice.

That is all the material and intelligence she can offer at this time.

How do you divvy/ recommend divvying the gear? What is the plan?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

After looking over the items and listening to what they are Dane speaks up.
    "I possess the ability to heal myself so I have no need for the potions here, I am able to use both these wands if you'd trust them with me?"
    Dane waits to hear from his companions.

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGirl

After examining the items, Jacintha voices her thoughts. I could use the Wand of Invisibility, but I have no need of it since I can just cast that myself. So I have no problems with giving it to someone else. I have a few healing potions already, so if necessary I can forgo the healing potions. But one of the potions of lesser restoration would be welcome.

26. - Top - End - #56

"I've got a wand already. Diva can carry whatever's left over, if need be," Runa says, "Should be fine to make the swim. He ain't a fast swimmer, mind, but he floats well enough."

27. - Top - End - #57

Linzi pipes up, cheerily but demurely, "Actually, I'm sure I'm not even close to anyone else's combat skills here, but if it is a case of 'well, why not' and not 'what a perfect match!' I could use both wands. See, I can be invisible while cheering everyone in the group, and then go around with the healing wand to heal folks as needed .... if that's okay with my boss, that is. That's mainly what I did with my last group of friends ... inspire, hide, and heal."

The stoic Keleshyte guarding Barris speaks to Barris, "My lady, while I could use both wands, in truth, it is likely there are better things I could be doing if pressed. I am not for stealth; in fact, I want to be seen so as to draw aggression to me rather than yourself. And I am more comfortable as a warrior than a healer. However, if I could have a healing potion should I fail in my duties and still be standing where you would fall, I would appreciate the chance to revive you so that you may chastise me accordingly."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Beholder

"Linzi and you all do make good sense. I like the idea of Linzi using the wands at least as a support to those that are busy in the front line or in other pursuits," Vivino says. "I could use at least one of the cure serious potions as I tend to get hit a lot.

I also trust you Dane of course with the wands, but do you think that Linzi could use them better or would it be a better fit for you?

As for the potions, aside from cure serious for me, I would suggest spreading them out a bit?"

29. - Top - End - #59

SamuraiGirl

Ernak listens to the conversation before offering his own thoughts. "I too am proficient with the wands and currently do not know such spells myself. However, I already have a lesser healing wand and prefer a more direct approach anyways, so I think Linzi's idea is a fine one. I would appreciate one of the potions, however, either to patch myself up during battle or salve any lingering ailments afterward."

Turning away from the items toward the party and Kroft in particular, he continues, "But as I said, I'm not up to date on the most current events. Once we enter Old Korvosa, will we still need to worry about the plague? I've mostly heard rumors, as with the quarantine I know little directly myself. And it seems there is more to the blood veil than popularly imagined. Is there anything we should before we set off to ward off that illness?"

30. - Top - End - #60

So, it seems that Linzi will hold both wands in trust for use of the party (as described). Jacintha receives a potion of lesser restoration. Vivino takes a potion of cure serious wounds. Ernak also takes a potion of cure serious wounds.

This leaves the following to divvy up:

• (2) potions of cure serious wounds
    • (2) potions of lesser restoration

Cressida answers Ernak, "I don't know, as quarantine affects the flow of information both ways, but my understanding from Vivino is that the blood veil likely has run its course through what he termed 'herd immunity?'"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-13 at 03:59 PM.
    Show