New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Thread: Escape from Old Korvosa [IC]

Ernak raises his palms up in a gesture of nonviolence. With a clearly puzzled tone and shrug of his shoulders, he calls back, "Who's this emperor, and who do you imagine we even are? I don't know who either would mean, but we mean you no trouble."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

See, having a massively-built Shoanti warrior really plays into a lot of people's conception of a "savage warrior." And truth be told, Ernak's easy-going nature has been on display throughout the day in some low-key, simple social settings. But as he stands forward to show both strength and compassion, there rolls forth from Ernak's speech an almost regal quality to it that even makes Dane respect him as a senior speaker when not seeking violence.

The man continues to come forward, though not as sure as before. "Well, I'll be ....." whistles the man, "if you were one a'th'Emperor's goons I'da' heard it by now." He surveys the group, the boats pulled up, and the rather unsettling lizard-tinged bird that Runa rides. "Yah, no chance you're with that bastard. Forgive my challenge. Name's Tesh Zobberdin. I'm the last surviving member of a family executed by the emperor for refusing to turn out their food stores and savings, and you can 'magine I have murder on my mind for he and his." And here, he looks crestfallen. "'Course, I know'd I was no match for the emperor or his goons, I was willin' to die before I saw your friendly voice and heard your welcoming face. What brings you the Hells on Cage?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Dane speaks up as he steps forward.
    "Were looking for an officer in the korvosa guard who should be here, do you know where we could find any guardsmen?"

4. - Top - End - #124

"Guardsman?" he gasps incredulously, "Who are you looking for? Do you even know what's happened here?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

Beholder

"Though we don't know half of what has occurred here, we have come to do what we can to help," Vivino says. "We are looking for someone named Vincarlo and any information that you can share about the state of affairs here. I...We aim to do all that is in our power to put things right here."

6. - Top - End - #126

He scratches his head for a moment. "A guardsman named Vincarlo? Never heard of him. I mean, there is a similar name I've heard .... the famous fight instructor Vencarlo Orsini, sorry."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-05-09 at 12:52 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Halfling in the Playground

"So then," Runa speaks up, "What has happened here? What's got this place all bottled up if the plague's already been dealt with?"

8. - Top - End - #128

Tesh, obviously suffering from PTSD, looks hollowly into the far distance, "When they dropped the bridges t' leave Ol' Korvosa t' fend for it-self, that's when gangs rose up t' try and get power. At first, it was innocent, and some 'gangs' was tryin' t' do right by folks. But when there be no supplies, people's true nature show'd itself and the predators rose up. The one what came atop the mad scramble be someone calls himself, 'The Emperor of Old Korvosa.'"

He tries to continue, but memories of his family overwhelm him and he breaks down in tears.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

SamuraiGirl

Hunching over hands-on-knees to get more onto eye level with the man, Ernak offers a regretful smile and says, "I'm sorry for what you've endured. None of what this place is going through can be allowed to stand. It ain't right." At that, he slowly offers a gentle pat on the shoulder as consolation.

After Tesh collects himself, Ernak then winces awkwardly and apologetically asks, "I hope it's not a sore subject--and I know you've been through too much already, but I'm trying to get my bearings--but have the Gray Maidens been up to anything here since the quarantine hit? I know they're the ones boxing us all in, but I hear rumors they're acting more aggressive all over town. You hear anything about them we need to be looking out for in these parts?"

10. - Top - End - #130

He looks at the big Shoanti curiously. "What's a Gay Maven?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

"I mean, I am, I guess, but he said Grey Maiden, which I'm guessing is news to you?" Runa says.

12. - Top - End - #132

Tesh seems to have no idea what you're referring to. "Like, a cob-headed spinster?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Beholder

"From what I understand," Vivino adds. "Grey Maidens are basically agents of the Queen to enforce her will on the populace."

14. - Top - End - #134

Tesh laughs uproariously, even a little bit desperately. "Would that the Queen cared about us at all! I think I know who or what you mean. Those weird, bland-visored ladies that protected the extremely few Queen's Physicians that came to us when the blood veil hit us? Like a couple days later, they dropped the bridges, and it seems that them beak-masked boys and their female protectors beat feet before they were stuck. I hear tell of a few maidens what got stuck and were piked and deaded. No, the Queen left us to rot, but that means she has no power here, either."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Beholder

"That is at least some good news that we shouldn't have to worry about the Queen or the Maidens for now." Vivino comments. "We think that Vincarlo will lead us to helping the people here. Though if there are things that we can help you with good sir do let us know and we will see what can do to help."

16. - Top - End - #136

"You lot look tougher'n' me. I don't know this Vincarlo guard, so I don't know how to help you find him. But if you do know someone more recognizable," Tesh offers, "maybe I can show you where they lived 'fore everything went sideways."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

SamuraiGirl

Ernak interjects earnestly, "I believe my friend misspoke earlier. We are looking for either a trustworthy guardsman or Vencarlo the fighting instructor. We hope to start righting some of the wrongs here and are looking for goodhearted people as part of that, people like yourself. If you could point us in the direction of the Orisini Academcy, we would be grateful."

18. - Top - End - #138

The Keleshyte woman who has not talked much at all this day and eve speaks up. "It seems to me ... that if things are as hostile as they are, that a quick and hasty exit should be ready. Ridwan and I shall stay at the boats here in case you need to return here as a redoubt and for a quick use of boats off the isle."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

"Will you be alright on your own? No telling how long we might be sticking around here, after all," Runa says, "Might be good to have some kind of signal or a place to meet up if y'go with that plan. As for us, well, Vencarlo seems like a good place to start, yeah? Hearing about how things are is all well and good, but it'd be even better to have the context of seein' it firsthand on our way there."

20. - Top - End - #140

Barris says, "Ridwan and I will be fine."

Is the rest of the party (that hasn't chatted) fine with going to Orsini Academy?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Beholder

"Though I'm not a fan of splitting up so soon," Vivino says. "If this is the best path then let us learn more at this academy. Thank you for your help good sir."

22. - Top - End - #142

Led by Tesh, the group leave behind Barris and Ridwand and make their way to Orsini Academy. Or rather, what's left of the burnt out ruin.

Linzi is sobbing, and drops to her knees.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Jacintha folds her arms. "Well... that's unfortunate." She glances at Linza, before looking ahead to the ruin again. "Do we want to try examining the remains for clues, just so we don't waste this trip?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

24. - Top - End - #144

Linzi looks to Dane through red, tear-soaked eyes. "I didn't mention this, but I had hoped to learn from Vencarlo. I cam all the way from Pitax and the River Kingdoms to get a chance to study with him," she says while pulling out and showing the group a halfling-sized Aldori dueling sword before then putting it away again. "I signed on with you to get the money for tuition while building up my own bona fides."

Tesh shrugs while looking east down the street from the burnt out salon. "Yeah, it a shame. Must'a been a message, though. 'cause thy left his home there untouched."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Beholder

"Linzi, let us find for you as well for our mission. Perhaps not all is lost, let us search the home and wreckage for clues," Vivino suggests.

26. - Top - End - #146

Linzi wipes her eyes, but still saddened.

Tesh says, his voice overdriven by tension and anger, "Hey, 'member I told you about the Emperor? There's one'a' Pilts' Mobs now."

A group of four ruffians is some distance away, but still see the (majority of) the group. Lewd comments are hurled, racial epithets howled, and all manner of insults are lobbed from the group to the mix of "heroes." While their attitude seems to be one of haughtiness and disdain, they have shields readied, but don't have any weapons drawn.

How do you wish to proceed?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Dane shouts loudly to the mob as he steps forward smacking his chest loudly with his plated gauntlet.
    "We do not seek a fight with you, but this is put of kindness from us not weakness. Be smart and continue on your way!"

28. - Top - End - #148

Dane's call is met with laughter and scorn. "Hand over your weapons!"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Beholder

"It seems diplomacy may not be what these fellows are interested in," Vivino whispers. "I'll head up onto the buildings to surprise them from behind if combat does ensue. I will wait for a signal from one of you if combat seems inevitable. "

At that, Vivino drinks a vial and begins to quietly scale the building to the east.

Spoiler: Sneaky
    Show

Drinks monkeyfish extract and then begin climbing the building to the east. Trying to be stealthy and unseen.

If there is time, will get to the roof and go roof to roof to try and get behind them from the roof if possible.

30. - Top - End - #150

Vivino drinks the extract .... sets his scythe down as he needs two hands to climb ... and then begin to scale the building to the east.

The thugs talk amongst themselves, as something seems to be riling them up.
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    You aren't sure if this is going to remain tense standoff or conflict, but we will enter initiative now to define timing of actions and attempted talk.

Begin Round One ...

R1T28:
    Jacintha, combat has not yet opened, but things are tense. The thugs do not have any weapons drawn (though they've been walking around with shield readied). What do you do?
    Show