New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best Family Board Games? Need Recommendations

Hi all,

I am searching for some best 4 or more player board games to play with my family. A friend recommended me a list but I'm still confused about which one should I get. Please recommend me the best one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Family Board Games? Need Recommendations

There are a lot of good games out there. What kind are you looking for, and what age range?

Cooperative problem-solving: Pandemic
    Competitive economy-building: Settlers of Catan
    Competitive plan-ahead racing with hijinks: Robo Rally

Boardgamegeek is probably a better place to look for more info. I've played a number of other really good games, but don't recall their names.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

We got Isle of Cats for Christmas and it is pretty neat. There is a Family mode where you are mostly just playing Tetris putting cat shapes onto your boat with a few rules for scoring. Our 6.5 year old played and understood it. There is also the full game which adds resource management (fish) and lets you buy more goals mid game and has you draft cards and... more involved and I found it also interesting.

But I agree with the previous question, we need to know ages and preferred game type to give good advice. My 3.5 year old loves Sleeping Queens but your 15 year old would find it very dull.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I recently played Mysterium with my family (parents, wife, sister and her husband). It was a really good time, it's more complicated than they usually play but simple enough that everyone got on board pretty fast. I've been trying to find stuff that non-gamers will enjoy, rather than just watching a movie or doing a puzzle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Check out Wingspan, Catan, or good old Monopoly.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a game called Stuffed Fables, which is sorta geared toward families with younger kids. The different scenarios that you play out, as sentient stuffed animals, explore childhood issues like sleeping with the lights off, wetting the bed, new siblings, etc. There's lots of narration opportunities, too, to strengthen reading skills, though the rules on each page can sometimes be obtuse or confusing, so, you (the adult) will want to read the page a bit to understand the mechanics (good 5-10 minute bio/snack break).

The gameplay is grid-based tactical combat with miniatures, where you draw colored dice from a bag to determine what actions you may have and roll the dice to see how successful you are at that action.

It's not a perfect game, but a competent adult can see their family through it.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I hear good things about Root.

Settlers of Catan is good, though. Relatively simple for what it does and has enough replayability to make it worth opening more than once.

I'd like to play Pandemic, but I don't want to tempt fate :D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Oath, Empire and Exiles is good.

As is Scythe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Competitive economy-building: Settlers of Catan
    I am really not a great board gamer, but Settlers of Catan is easy enough to get into and have early fun. Many games have their first play session being bogged down by not understanding basic strategies, but Settlers has depth while being easy to learn.

Also unashamed promoting a German board game.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dixit is a lot of fun.

If they like trick bidding card games, then I suggest Wizards and The Crew. The Crew is a COOPERATIVE trick taking game.

Guillotine is simple and fairly quick.

A lot depends on your family though. What type of games do they like?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

One option a lot of folks don't consider are Jackbox games. They're fantastic for big parties or game nights because usually everyone has a phone, and for most of them the rules are easy to pick up. Plus no packing a bunch of pieces away after!

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I recently played Mysterium with my family (parents, wife, sister and her husband). It was a really good time, it's more complicated than they usually play but simple enough that everyone got on board pretty fast. I've been trying to find stuff that non-gamers will enjoy, rather than just watching a movie or doing a puzzle.
    I loooooove Mysterium, especially around Halloween
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

My kids love Alhambra and Carcasonne.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Ticket to Ride - Great starter game, get the Europe edition if you want slightly more complex rules with a couple extras compared to the original.
    Sushi Go - simple, fast, easy to learn. Card drafting game.

there's more. Splendor, Carcassone and Catan are all pretty solid.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I am really not a great board gamer, but Settlers of Catan is easy enough to get into and have early fun. Many games have their first play session being bogged down by not understanding basic strategies, but Settlers has depth while being easy to learn.

Also unashamed promoting a German board game.
    If you can get a hold of it, I prefer the Catan in space version.
    It is less reliant on starting luck and has one or two more avenues to win.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

For those who like Catan I recommend Terra Mystica. It's a bit more complex, but also relies on the some familiar principles like building the longest roads, placing settlements or trading resources. It also has multiple routes to victory and factions with different powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Cartographers - think tetris meets map drawing. Each turn you get a shape (everyone is using the same shape) you have to fit into your map, and placement of various features determines points scored. There's a fair bit of variety in the scoring rules, so each game will have different goals drawn from a pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

My family used to play a game called "Careers" - essentially you pick a life goal (a combination fame, happiness or money) and then attempt to achieve it.

Gameplay consists of a board with an outer ring, with the eponymous careers as inner paths from it. Each square on the board is either the entrance of a career, some sort of life event or the payday square. It's reasonably good fun. and has a bit of variety in the gameplay due to the differeing life goals.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee