New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing 6: DLCs of Kevin Bacon

Well I've left New Serene, temporarily swapped out my tricorn for a Beret, and completed more quests. Need to get the hang of finding these crafting resources, running very low on traps, but it's fun. Feels like a successor to DA2 at the moment, except you get to skip the first act where you make a name for yourself.

And yes, guns are powerful. I've upgraded my pistol once and it's regularly doing five times the damage of a sword swing. Ammunition scarcity hasn't been an issue since I unlocked bullet crafting, and even if I hadn't it's relatively cheap. Now I've unlocked rifles I'm sure I'll be able to upgrade to even better guns.

I could invest points in blades, but the next two ranks increase the kick I never use (because it's bound to Ctrl), and buffing traps further is pointless until I work out where the crafting materials spawn. So depending on what it lets me buy it's either announced weapons or dodge rolling next.

I do have one complaint though, and that's that the game keeps misgendering me. I know that compared to most RPG heroines Lady de Sadet is modestly endowed, but it's annoying.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Even having a lot of fun with Anno, I had the urge to play The Settlers 2 again. And while I still love it, I soon remembered why it had always given me so much trouble. The goods transportation AI is just so horribly awful! Waiting for ages for a new island getting building material delivered by ship, even though I have six ships constantly going between all ports, and then finally a ship arrives carrying one plank. Or a catapult tower waiting for stones to throw at an enemy castle, and though there are 120 stones in the storehouse next to it, the AI only sends stones from the quarry on the far other end of my territory. And then only one at a time, with really long delays between them. The game does have a fast mode, but I have it always on and it's still painfully slow. Much of the game consists of jumping around between mines, forges, and warehouses to look at the inventory to check if they finally are sending out that item that is urgently needed somewhere else. Yes, you kill time, but it really us just sitting around and waiting for the game to get ready to continue.
    Today I've played the fifth map of the campaign, and I see why that was the one I always got stuck at when I was 13. The map just doesn't have enough coal on it to produce weapons for enough soldiers to defeat the enemy. By the time you have quarried your way through walls of rock, the enemies have already mined all the resources on their side. The only way I know to win this one is by building catapult towers close enough to the border to throw stones at enemy military buidings and kill the soldiers inside. But that takes literally ages. First wait forever for building materials to be all the way carried to the front, then painfully slowly assembles, and then wait some more eternities for individual stones to be delivered whenever the transportation AI feels like. I don't know how much faster speed mode is, but the in-game statistics graphs (one of the cool features that make me love the game) is approaching the 720 minute mark.

Playtesting in the 90s was different.
    How many people had they play the campaign and write down their impressions on game balance? Did nobody notice that this map is impossible without catapults, but could be completed in half the time if there was more coal?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Ran across an interesting looking Diablo clone on Steam called Ash and Rust, and decided to give it a go.

It's definitely different; you don't so much have a build as you build a build. You start with a basic attack, and at level 2 you unlock your first skill. Which you build, choosing damage type, delivery (nova burst, single target ranged, etc) and you have your starter skill. This on its own is pretty barebones, but every skill in the game has its own inventory grid, which you can populate with various augments to further customize its effects. Some are straightforward buffs, some are more substantial, like making a nova skill pulse repeatedly. Augments drop as loot, and the grid for each skill expands as you level up, so you can keep upgrading farther and farther.

This is an absurdly cool system, and I'm very impressed with what looks like a one-man operation.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Spoiler: Tunic, end game
    Show
    Finished the game, but got frustrated near the end so I used the accessibility options to basically cheat my way through the final fight. I was trying to go for the golden ending, but that requires a lot of exploration and I really didn't feel like walking all over the map just to get that final page. I also forgot how to get to certain areas, which also annoyed me, so I just rushed towards the end instead. Good game overall, but a bit frustrating near the end. People who love exploring and searching for hidden secrets would probably appreciate the end game more.

Before it's release I was super excited to play it but then the release came and... it was an absolute disaster, so I held off on it. I should like to think they've fixed a lot of issues in patches since then and I've been eyeing Cyberpunk myself again, but with some suspicion. At half price I might actually pick it up.
    I find it enjoyable so far, I just have to find a way to not incredibly suck at combat and die 10 times every mission.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Trying a free little "inventory management roguelike" called Backpack Hero, which is on itch.io.

It's not incredibly deep so far (ver 0.15), but the main gimmick seems smarter than most roguelikes, in which you do the classic Diablo-tetris inventory management, and your items vary in power according to how you place them.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

It took until the mid teens, but finally my Greedfall build is online. Part of me wonders of I should have gone for a magic build so I wouldn't have to spend so much time scrounging for Hoof Fungus (the primary ingredient of bullets), but that can always be for a second playthrough.

Story-wise I have recruited four companions including one I wish was romanceable but almost certainly isn't, because he's far more interesting than Kurt (and more charming than Vasco). Been focusing on getting all the sidequests done, although not the notice board hunt style quests, because it's helping me grind up faction reputation. Which means I'm still on the requests for the other governors, but at least most of those quests are fun to do.

I've also amusingly stumbled across what is quite clearly part of Kurt's quest before it activates. I was actually just looking for a merchant and/or crafting table.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Petrus is my favorite companion. Given his side quest though, I'm glad romance was off the table.

I did guns & traps 1st time around, melee weapons 2nd (when the DLC dropped and I did another playthrough). Hubby is doing magic.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I wrapped up Paper Mario the other day. Absolute delight of a game, very happy to revisit it after of these years. I hope Nintendo properly re-releases it someday, rather than just leaving it on their new, more expensive online subscription.

After that, decided on a quick once-through of Star Fox 64, which is also part of that. Wasn't getting the high scores I did regularly when I used to play it, but I went through the full hard route, and still remembered a lot of the game's little tricks. Also a fun game - though in retrospect, dang, there's not much to it. It's maybe an hour, hour and a half to play through it once. Good thing it's fun to re-play. It does have a bit of an issue with the Switch pro controller controls, in that it was really designed with the six face buttons of the N64 controller in mind, since each of the four C buttons does something. With the Pro controller you hold ZR to turn the four face buttons into the four C buttons when playing these N64 games, which works, but feels awkward for certain things - and means you can't fire while using some of the C buttons (luckily the ones assigned to boost and break are also standard as X and Y). So that's a small issue. Also, unintuitively, while the N64 R button is mapped to the Pro controller R button, the N64 Z button is mapped to the pro controller's ZL button, so the bank/barrel roll buttons in each direction are on reversed shoulder buttons on each side, rather than the one, which is also annoying.

After that, because the upcoming DNF Duel got me curious, I gave Dungeon Fighter Online a try. Briefly, because while the core beat-em-up combat of the game seems fun, everything else about it doesn't. You can really tell it's an old game at this point with the clunky, information-overload UI it has, it has waaaay too many stats for my liking in an action game, and it has free-to-play BS. As in "you have fatigue points which go down every time you enter a room, and if you run out, you can't do anything more until tomorrow, but we'll sell you potions to restore them" level free-to-play BS. I didn't play enough for that to matter, but it just being there was a crimson flag as far as I was concerned, so I got my brief taste of the game and set it aside. I'll just enjoy the fighting game it's spawning instead.

Meanwhile, continuing to enjoy BBTag, now with rollback. I'm getting my ass kicked less and doing more ass kicking, which is nice, though I usually challenge some stronger players each night, resulting in an ass kicking, but I'm improving from it. And goddamn I just love playing Yang. Her semblance activating and her theme song overriding whatever music was playing before is just the most satisfying thing.
    I'm sad to hear dungeon fighter online has free to play garbage these days. I used to play it long ago; and it was great fun back then, solid gameplay and nice graphics for the time; and I don't think it had those kinds of limits, though I might misremember. It had the nice feel of the ol' double dragon style games. But I think that at some point the game was discontinued for awhile, then brought back under different management. So maybe that was when they added the freemium stuff, and/or it got worse.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Hmm, what level should I be at for the Dark Souls 2 dlcs? I killed the iron king and think I found a dlc area but I'm getting whooped there.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro89 View Post
    Hmm, what level should I be at for the Dark Souls 2 dlcs? I killed the iron king and think I found a dlc area but I'm getting whooped there.
    Depends on how good you are. But as a general rule Dark Souls DLC are meant to be done near-endgame or post-game.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    I'm sad to hear dungeon fighter online has free to play garbage these days. I used to play it long ago; and it was great fun back then, solid gameplay and nice graphics for the time; and I don't think it had those kinds of limits, though I might misremember. It had the nice feel of the ol' double dragon style games. But I think that at some point the game was discontinued for awhile, then brought back under different management. So maybe that was when they added the freemium stuff, and/or it got worse.
    Could be. I had never heard of the game before DNF Duel was announced last year, so I can't say I'm very aware of its history. And yeah, I agree that the core gameplay feels very good - better than actual old beat-em-ups, honestly - and even now considering the sprite-based graphical style, it doesn't look bad.

It's also easy to see why a fighting game spin-off was a natural step, between the combos you can string together in the game and the way it even incorporates fighting game-style special move inputs to allow you to play using just one attack button for a plethora of special moves if you want. And it certainly has plenty of cool characters to bring, even if they have to be referred to by class names instead of actual names. I quite liked the Vagabond I played - I mean, what's not to like about dual-wielding lightsabres in a fantasy beat-em-up? Hope she makes it into DNF at some point.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Story-wise I have recruited four companions including one I wish was romanceable but almost certainly isn't, because he's far more interesting than Kurt (and more charming than Vasco). Been focusing on getting all the sidequests done, although not the notice board hunt style quests, because it's helping me grind up faction reputation. Which means I'm still on the requests for the other governors, but at least most of those quests are fun to do.
    Yeah, in Greedfall your reputation towards the various factions is quite important. The difference it makes later* in the game is staggering.

*it was "later" in my game because I focused on side- and faction quest to build up reputation.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2022-04-27 at 02:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Petrus is my favorite companion. Given his side quest though, I'm glad romance was off the table.

I did guns & traps 1st time around, melee weapons 2nd (when the DLC dropped and I did another playthrough). Hubby is doing magic.
    Maybe when I've done his other personal quests I'll understand why he isn't romanceable. But yes, he's by far the most interesting, especially due to the fact that he manages to balance being religiyand accepting much better than the other Theleme characters. It's more interesting than Kurt, Vasco, and Siorra being relatively normal for their faction.

I'm hoping they do more DLC or a sequel at some point. Aside from the relative lack of dialogue options Greedfall is like a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Yeah, in Greedfall your reputation towards the various factions is quite important. The difference it makes later* in the game is staggering.

*it was "later" in my game because I focused on side- and faction quest to build up reputation.
    I mean, it's just common sense in this kind of RPG. Most likely I'll unlock extra quests later due to being trusted by everybody, at the very least it makes any possible 'the X have betrayed you' plot points easier to deal with.

Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, it's just common sense in this kind of RPG.
    True. But in Greedfall the effects are noteworthy impactful. And I liked that as it feels appropriately rewarding. Especially if you accidentally progressed too early in the main quest while you didn't build up the relevant reputation high enough and thus know how things turn out then
    I loaded a save and did side quests for another 10 hours

Most likely I'll unlock extra quests later due to being trusted by everybody, at the very least it makes any possible 'the X have betrayed you' plot points easier to deal with.
    Jup, exactly
    And now I should shut up. Otherwise spoilers are running free from my mouth.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    True. But in Greedfall the effects are noteworthy impactful. And I liked that as it feels appropriately rewarding. Especially if you accidentally progressed too early in the main quest while you didn't build up the relevant reputation high enough and thus know how things turn out then
    I loaded a save and did side quests for another 10 hours

Jup, exactly
    And now I should shut up. Otherwise spoilers are running free from my mouth.
    Maybe I'll see soon because I've just gained Aphra (who might replace Siorra in my standard party for a bit) and run out of side quests, so it's back to the main quests I've picked up. I'm nearly 20 hours in, so unless this is an 100+ hour game I'm likely coming up to the start of Act 2 twist right about now. So far the main developments regarding our quest for the cure to a pandemic are rescuing a bunch of scientists and Constantin getting man-flu. Which is clearly just setup for something, like 'Constantin forgot to get his immunisations and is catching the local variation of chickenpox'.

Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    I play the game myself, and I'll say the game certainly does reward spending, but it's also a much better free-to-play experience then you'd expect.

The fatigue system is a red flag...but it ends up being a mostly false one. It's mostly only an obstacle while leveling. The only defense I can give is that it's an anti-botting measure (which does seem to work, the game has far fewer bots then other games I've tried, and back before the game was shut down by nexon and didn't have fatigue limits, it was overrun by bots and gold sellers), but it's still kind of a really bad thing to throw at new players. Later in the game, fatigue is almost never an obstacle.

It has a lot of systems and is somewhat unapproachable...but the answer to stuff rarely involves spending real money. It's an old game, and a lot of systems have been introduced that just slowly pile on the difficulty of understanding it all. None of the individual parts are too complex, but it's not streamlined like a game in this day and age should be.

I won't deny there is pay2win stuff, including non-cosmetic stat enhancing stuff. It helps that it's structured in a way that it's surprisingly gentle on free to play players, as they'll be able to get their hands on most of the good cash shop stuff in auction house for (in my opinion, which is super subjective) reasonable prices. There is some stuff that's beyond what a free-to-play can reasonably get that the whales will spend big for, but they're generally only 5%~ better then the cheap stuff. Basically, despite how the game looks, it's not one of those games that's constantly going to annoy you if you're a free-to-play player. Plenty of people I play with haven't felt the need to spend at all despite and still have no issues joining in on endgame content. But yeah, the pay2win stuff to get and sell is absolutely there and it's totally understandable if that's dealbreaker.

I still find the game a lot of fun for its combat. I'm tempted to recommend it still, but its an old game that doesn't have the new player experience it really needs.

Anyway, I've been playing satisfactory recently, a game similar to factorio, but 3d. Get dropped onto planet, start building a factory to make stuff and build more factory. It's been a lot of fun, but now that I'm on the final tier of technology, I want to start building factories that aren't just messes of conveyer belts in the sky. Hours slip away because it feels like there's always something to do. Now I want to play factorio, except I'm afraid of how much more of my life I'll end up spending optimizing trains and conveyer belt transports.
    Last edited by Frozenstep; 2022-04-27 at 03:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    Anyway, I've been playing satisfactory recently, a game similar to factorio, but 3d. Get dropped onto planet, start building a factory to make stuff and build more factory. It's been a lot of fun, but now that I'm on the final tier of technology, I want to start building factories that aren't just messes of conveyer belts in the sky. Hours slip away because it feels like there's always something to do. Now I want to play factorio, except I'm afraid of how much more of my life I'll end up spending optimizing trains and conveyer belt transports.
    I came across this interesting blog post recently on organizing and structuring large-scale, late-game production with multiple factories; might make for an interesting read (though also see the linked companion essay, which covers how Updates 4 and 5 changed relevant game mechanics).
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2022-04-27 at 03:42 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I came across this interesting blog post recently on organizing and structuring large-scale, late-game production with multiple factories; might make for an interesting read (though also see the linked companion essay, which covers how Updates 4 and 5 changed relevant game mechanics).
    And if you want a quite entertaining look at how Not to play Satisfactory, there's This guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

I'm now playing through another game from the Switch online N64 library: Ocarina of Time. Which is kind of like when I re-played Banjo-Kazooie a couple of years ago: a childhood favorite that every little thing about just brings me so much joy, and I'm surprised by just how many details of it I remember. Not quite as much as I did with Banjo-Kazooie I'd say, but I'm remembering even little details like that I shouldn't buy a Hylian Shield because there's a free one I can easily get from the Kakariko Graveyard under one of the tombstones; or that I can backflip off the cliff with the bomb flower on Death Mountain to get the Piece of Heart over the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern early; or, just tonight, where all ten of the Big Poes are out in Hyrule Field for the final empty bottle side-quest.

Honestly, while the game's age shows - especially visually; my gods, I did not remember some of those backgrounds looking like cheap jpegs - it's still probably my favorite Zelda game ever. The high adventure feel of everything, the way there's secrets to find packed all over the damn place, the epic setup of the time-traveling story; it's everything I could ever want from a Zelda game, in a way few others even come close to.

Also, despite the lack of modern camera controls sometimes being an issue, the ability to just re-center the camera behind you with the target-lock button is surprisingly effective at keeping the game from having significant camera issues the way a lot of its contemporaries did. Weird how such a simple thing works so well to prevent something that plagued a lot of games of the time (and still occasionally crops up as a problem in modern games, for that matter...).

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    I play the game myself, and I'll say the game certainly does reward spending, but it's also a much better free-to-play experience then you'd expect.

The fatigue system is a red flag...but it ends up being a mostly false one. It's mostly only an obstacle while leveling. The only defense I can give is that it's an anti-botting measure (which does seem to work, the game has far fewer bots then other games I've tried, and back before the game was shut down by nexon and didn't have fatigue limits, it was overrun by bots and gold sellers), but it's still kind of a really bad thing to throw at new players. Later in the game, fatigue is almost never an obstacle.

It has a lot of systems and is somewhat unapproachable...but the answer to stuff rarely involves spending real money. It's an old game, and a lot of systems have been introduced that just slowly pile on the difficulty of understanding it all. None of the individual parts are too complex, but it's not streamlined like a game in this day and age should be.

I won't deny there is pay2win stuff, including non-cosmetic stat enhancing stuff. It helps that it's structured in a way that it's surprisingly gentle on free to play players, as they'll be able to get their hands on most of the good cash shop stuff in auction house for (in my opinion, which is super subjective) reasonable prices. There is some stuff that's beyond what a free-to-play can reasonably get that the whales will spend big for, but they're generally only 5%~ better then the cheap stuff. Basically, despite how the game looks, it's not one of those games that's constantly going to annoy you if you're a free-to-play player. Plenty of people I play with haven't felt the need to spend at all despite and still have no issues joining in on endgame content. But yeah, the pay2win stuff to get and sell is absolutely there and it's totally understandable if that's dealbreaker.

I still find the game a lot of fun for its combat. I'm tempted to recommend it still, but its an old game that doesn't have the new player experience it really needs.
    Full disclosure, at this point I have a very low tolerance level for the kind of elements that free-to-play games tend to involve by nature - not just things like the fatigue system there, but the whole "either pay a lot or grind a lot to unlock most things" part, the kind of things they do to try and encourage all of their players to play every single day, certainly anything that care fairly be described as "pay to win," etc - so I went into the game knowing I was unlikely to stick with it. I just was curious enough about the game that's spawning a fighting game I'm greatly looking forward to that I wanted to try it out, particularly after seeing a few videos of the leaked characters for DNF. I was just surprised to see a f2p system as obviously bad as the fatigue one.

Also, personally, for a game as action-oriented as DFO seems to be, I'd kind of rather it didn't have levels, stats, equipment, etc at all. Just some way to gradually unlock your various moves, nothing more. For something that feels like it does, the moment-to-moment gameplay is the appeal to me, and things like stats are just an annoying distraction from the fun part of the game. And from what I saw, I get the feeling there's a whole lot of that once you get past the early game. So that wasn't helping it either. Make a game that played like DFO but wasn't free-to-play and streamlined out all of the excessive fiddly bits like those, and I'd be thrilled to pick it up. As the game is though, no, it's definitely not for me.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-04-28 at 11:04 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #290
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Full disclosure, at this point I have a very low tolerance level for the kind of elements that free-to-play games tend to involve by nature - not just things like the fatigue system there, but the whole "either pay a lot or grind a lot to unlock most things" part, the kind of things they do to try and encourage all of their players to play every single day, certainly anything that care fairly be described as "pay to win," etc - so I went into the game knowing I was unlikely to stick with it. I just was curious enough about the game that's spawning a fighting game I'm greatly looking forward to that I wanted to try it out, particularly after seeing a few videos of the leaked characters for DNF. I was just surprised to see a f2p system as obviously bad as the fatigue one.

Also, personally, for a game as action-oriented as DFO seems to be, I'd kind of rather it didn't have levels, stats, equipment, etc at all. Just some way to gradually unlock your various moves, nothing more. For something that feels like it does, the moment-to-moment gameplay is the appeal to me, and things like stats are just an annoying distraction from the fun part of the game. And from what I saw, I get the feeling there's a whole lot of that once you get past the early game. So that wasn't helping it either. Make a game that played like DFO but wasn't free-to-play and streamlined out all of the excessive fiddly bits like those, and I'd be thrilled to pick it up. As the game is though, no, it's definitely not for me.
    That's absolutely fair. MMORPG's aren't for everyone, and I wouldn't say DFO does anything unique enough on that front to interest people who don't want to deal with popular MMORPG design.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've actually started playing Cyberpunk 2077 and I think I'll actually enjoy this game a fair bit, but I am glad I waited for a few months for patches and a big discount on the game.

Spoiler: Random early stage stuff
    Show
    Picked the corpo background and the corporate tower is all black and red. I do love myself some brutalist architecture, but you know, I think the Arakasa corporation may be the bad guys. Evelyn wants me to screw over my fixer, so I'm starting to distrust her. Professional integrity is important and that counts for mercs too! And I'm going to pay back my ripperdoc before continuing with the story and before I might no longer have the chance to. I don't want to screw him out of his compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    And if you want a quite entertaining look at how Not to play Satisfactory, there's This guy
    I'm impressed by how some people manage to create these beautiful automation networks. When I got to the point where I needed to do stuff like that in another game, I got bored and just didn't bother well before I got anywhere near even a vague approximation of a well oiled machine.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I'm impressed by how some people manage to create these beautiful automation networks. When I got to the point where I needed to do stuff like that in another game, I got bored and just didn't bother well before I got anywhere near even a vague approximation of a well oiled machine.
    You should bear in mind that Josh from Let's Game it Out, takes a special delight in breaking the game engine, so what he builds is not representative of normal gameplay in any way, shape or form.

Other than his physics defying escapades on Satisfactory, other examples include:
    • Turning his entire starting area into a WW1 era battlefield trench network as he needed stone in Valheim
    • Building an underground city in Planet Zoo
    • Bypassing an entire dungeon section in Raft by building his home raft up to ludicrous heights

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The original Angry Birds was made available for about £1 on the Play Store, so I've been sinking some time into that.
    We are FREE of
    BEER! As in, we don't have any beer.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Koei and Tecmo have a sale going on Steam right now. Alas, the game I want still doesn't have an English version yet

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Koei and Tecmo have a sale going on Steam right now. Alas, the game I want still doesn't have an English version yet
    I much enjoyed their games decades ago. Had a lot of the koei games back then. But sadly they don't seem to be as good compared to competitors as other strategy games nowadays. And the reviews are not as impressive as I'd like to consider buying some again.

And ofc the lack of english support on several of the titles.

Still, it was fun to look through the sale.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2022-05-01 at 09:41 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

26. - Top - End - #296
    Colossus in the Playground

Found my first bug in Cyberpunk and it was a really annoying one. Running away after the big heist goes wrong, you're in a taxi being chased by drones you have to shoot down. Except apparently, there's a bug where instead of the weapon your character was carrying, sometimes your save is bugged and you're instead given the starter pistol. Which doesn't deal enough damage to finish the drones before the section ends and they autokill you.

Went through it five times before I googled it and found out, then had to reload a save from quite a bit earlier and go through the last section again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #297
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Slowly inching my way through Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. I haven't restarted in more than a week! I've gotten past the Ivory Sanctum (though I did backtrack there so I could kill the flying bug creature).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #298

Looks like Wrath of the Righteous fell of the front page... oh, well.

Spoiler: Wrath of the Righteous Camellia Spoilers
    Show

So, I killed Camellia once I caught her with her sacrifice in the abandoned house but...

If you are playing a shaman, do you get to call her on her bull****? I read that her "spirit" isn't real, but at one point she says there's a spirit behind me, but, if I'm playing a shaman, do I get to say "What? No. You're lying, and I can tell"?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Looks like Wrath of the Righteous fell of the front page... oh, well.

Spoiler: Wrath of the Righteous Camellia Spoilers
    Show

So, I killed Camellia once I caught her with her sacrifice in the abandoned house but...

If you are playing a shaman, do you get to call her on her bull****? I read that her "spirit" isn't real, but at one point she says there's a spirit behind me, but, if I'm playing a shaman, do I get to say "What? No. You're lying, and I can tell"?
    Unfortunately no. Was playing a shaman and it didn't pop for me. I think. Maybe my shaman run ended before reaching that though, I've gone through most divine casters + angel trying them out.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Unfortunately no. Was playing a shaman and it didn't pop for me. I think. Maybe my shaman run ended before reaching that though, I've gone through most divine casters + angel trying them out.
    Camellia's sin for me was being largely redundant with other characters.

Main? Archaeologist. What does she have that I don't?
    The Cranky Gamer