New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What Are You Playing 6: DLCs of Kevin Bacon

My 7 year old found Fallout Shelter on my phone, so I loaded it up in Steam for him.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

tried Dragon's Dogma Dark arisen for a few hours. its fine. it seems.....kinda Amalur, kinda Fable in how it works? but with teammates called pawns. I don't seem to be dealing very good damage though. I feel like all my attacks hit like a wet noodle, but I might just be facing foes that a bit higher level than I'm supposed to be fighting right now and I should stick to the main quest for a while.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    tried Dragon's Dogma Dark arisen for a few hours. its fine. it seems.....kinda Amalur, kinda Fable in how it works? but with teammates called pawns. I don't seem to be dealing very good damage though. I feel like all my attacks hit like a wet noodle, but I might just be facing foes that a bit higher level than I'm supposed to be fighting right now and I should stick to the main quest for a while.
    It is definitely nothing like Amalur or Fable. The combat is (or can be) much more strategic.

Damage is low to start, in part because none of the starting classes (Strider, Mage, Fighter) gain a ton of attack damage on levelup (every single class prioritizes a different attribute, encouraging you to switch often). But Dark Arisen made it so your gear matters more than anything else anyway. Definitely make sure you play the story enough to get to Granfell before much of anything else. There are sidequests that will time out if you progress too far into the story, but they are best done on New Game+ in my opinion. The game is fairly short and meant to be replayed.

Keep in mind if you're playing Strider SPECIFICALLY you have a hidden 30% damage bonus while climbing on a monster. It's the one huge advantage Strider has over even its more advanced classes (Assassin, Ranger, and Magick Archer).
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-07-05 at 05:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

I need to get back to Dragon's Dogma. But I put it down because I ran out of sidequests I could complete and still lacked the gold for Mystick Knight gear.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I need to get back to Dragon's Dogma. But I put it down because I ran out of sidequests I could complete and still lacked the gold for Mystick Knight gear.
    Sounds like it's time to go to Bitterblack Isle!

6. - Top - End - #936
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't seem to be dealing very good damage though. I feel like all my attacks hit like a wet noodle, but I might just be facing foes that a bit higher level than I'm supposed to be fighting right now and I should stick to the main quest for a while.
    That only gets worse if you try to follow the main questline - 16 hours in, every fight was half an hour of "attack for a minute until you can climb on the monster, climb on the monster, attack for a minute until the monster throws you off, repeat". You're never really in danger, but fights take longer and longer.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2022-07-05 at 07:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    That only gets worse if you try to follow the main questline - 16 hours in, every fight was half an hour of "attack for a minute until you can climb on the monster, climb on the monster, attack for a minute until the monster throws you off, repeat". You're never really in danger, but fights take longer and longer.
    This is only the case if your gear falls behind and you also don't take a bit of time (and, unfortunately, research) to bolster your stats.

Every level (main level, not Vocation level) you gain while a Ranger, for example, primarily gives you more Stamina, while Magick Archer gives you mostly Magic Defense (for...some reason). The game...never deigns to tell you this.

The "damage classes" are Assassin (physical attack) and Sorcerer (magic attack) so you'll need to spend a fair few levels as one or the other to boost your damage capability. It's kind of a meme that the best way to play Magick Archer is to play Sorcerer to level 200 and then class swap.

Or use the Hybrid Level Up option in this mod.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-07-05 at 07:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's also not really that tactical. You can basically set it up "if hurt cast heal and otherwise attack" and put the controller down. Sure, you can fine tune the system more than that if you want, but it's not necessary for the vast majority of the game.
    I said strategic not tactical. They are different things that operate at different levels (admittedly they do otherlap at the squad level where both are needed). FF12 has only the most basic tactical while the strategic can be fine tuned so well the battles need no more tactics than basic level stuff.

I started FF12 again out of nestolgia. I noticed battery mimics were weak to blizzard and I am not one to waste mana on black magic.

But I instead decided to mix it up. Sure enough the mimic queenn was weak to blizzard and I turned a 15min fight into 4 or less as the party spammed blizzard. Another strategic move I recently made was making Vaan cast libra on himself freeing his accessory for aything else. Monster, I noticed, kept targeting Penelo due to healing so Ashe now only casts protect and shell on Penelo; that saved me a lot of MP I could use for other things.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    FF12 stuff.
    If you're playing the Zodiac Age version, they added in a couple of buff/debuff spells that stack a couple of times, makes some of the more absurd fights much more manageable. Granted even with those, max lvl chars and boosted game speed, took me close to 45mins to take out the one superboss with millions of HP. Limit break chains are also great for speeding up bossfights, but require a bit of luck at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    If you're playing the Zodiac Age version, they added in a couple of buff/debuff spells that stack a couple of times, makes some of the more absurd fights much more manageable. Granted even with those, max lvl chars and boosted game speed, took me close to 45mins to take out the one superboss with millions of HP. Limit break chains are also great for speeding up bossfights, but require a bit of luck at times.
    They added so much and changed so much more I will not even consider such a purchase until my PS2 CDs die.

Thinking of playing some spyro again…

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    They added so much and changed so much more I will not even consider such a purchase until my PS2 CDs die.
    Fair enough. I was rather against the job limits initially myself, but upon actually using it, they're not so bad. Helps to keep all the characters from feeling so samey as well. My biggest draw to the Zodiac Age was being able to play it on the switch, RPGs on the go are just a delight for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Fair enough. I was rather against the job limits initially myself, but upon actually using it, they're not so bad. Helps to keep all the characters from feeling so samey as well. My biggest draw to the Zodiac Age was being able to play it on the switch, RPGs on the go are just a delight for me.
    It worked in X-2 because they were “samey” but being forced to use characters you can’t stand ruins some of the enjoyment. I like that turning Vaan from a fighter to a white mage is as simple as a costume change.

Since it is on Switch I guess that means it is not on the PS2. A shame really. I don’t dare to waste money on more new consoles and the 360s keep dying but my PS1 is still playing Frogger.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Ah, Dragon's Dogma. A game I really wanted to like but somehow it decided to rub me in all the wrong ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Spamalot in the Playground

Just finished Outriders Worldslayer and the final boss was a joke. But I went in with a full Lava Lich pyro set that I never swapped out for the entire story. Apocalypse Tier 16 difficulty.

Going to run through it again with my main (Technomancer) and see if I can beat my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Wrapped up both Webbed and Starship Troopers. Webbed ended up really going the distance with the web-slinging physics, surprisingly. Many indies just put their gimmick in the same old "platformer" shell of a game and ship it. This one was really designed head and shoulders above that crowd. Hats off the the handful of developers (2 or so, I think?). Anywho.

Starship Troopers, also, surprisingly good. Easily on par with Company of Heroes/Dawn of War, I think. Starts off so simple with just a handful of shooty guys that really makes you go "is this it?", but on Hard and above (and with later levels) comes so much complexity out of so simple mechanics like lines of fire and moving vs. shooting.

16. - Top - End - #946

I have moved slightly forward in Fallout 4!

I am still kind of surprised no one has sent me to Spectacle Island, yet (I generally avoid going places I haven't been sent)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure it's actually available as a mission target. Worth a visit though.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Did the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Collector Ship
    and finished the loyalty missions, including Liara's DLC one. Some of them have very annoying encounters, and some were annoyingly easy, especially because I took the Cain into Grunt's mission.

Guess it's time to do the DLC before the endgame. Because it really feels too early to be heading to the endgame.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Finished Mass Effect: Andromeda (again), this time on NG+.

Honestly, the story was...meh...ok. Not great, not horrible, just meh. The thing that annoyed me tremendously? The fake loading screens (aka the fancy animations when moving from one system to another, etc). Oh, and if SAM says "mining zones are available via your mining interface" or other repetitive, tutorial BS again, so help me...

I liked the gunplay. Never was fond of hovering though. Preferred sniper rifles mostly.

Companions: Drak was the best. Liam was annoying. The banter between Drak and Peebee was pretty good. The rest were forgettable, mostly.

Verdict: Not as bad as people made it out to be. But not great. Solidly...meh. Honestly though, I'd rather play it than ME1, just because the controls and shooting were so much better. ME1's story wasn't that much better, although the companions were a bit better. But I wished the rover had a gun in ME:A. Give me back my Mako cannon.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

20. - Top - End - #950

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I'm not sure it's actually available as a mission target. Worth a visit though.
    It is, I've gotten it before. It might be a safehouse location from PAM (I usually get the Mirelurk one), or you can get it as a "I know a place that could be great if cleaned out" from the Minutemen.

I am very annoyed with the BoS part. Why cannot I not say "Hey, I am the general of the Commonwealth-wide militia, and a leader in a score of villages, containing more than 400 people. Talk to me like an adult, not a recruit"?
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #951

DwarfFighterGuy

Finished Prey: Mooncrash. Very good game! I especially love the panic you have in the final levels, if you play without using the time extensions. That clock fills up so fast that stealth is no longer an option.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Finished Prey: Mooncrash. Very good game! I especially love the panic you have in the final levels, if you play without using the time extensions. That clock fills up so fast that stealth is no longer an option.
    Hmm, Prey was pretty good but this somehow must have gotten under my radar. Is it a standalone expansion sort of thing?

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Reinstalled Oblivion last night. There's a lot of things I don't like about Oblivion, the flailing combat, the inventory system, the bizarre way leveling up works, the way everyone looks like a potato, in detail I can complain about like 80% of the game.

But for all that, it gets one thing right; it feels like a fantasy adventure. There's enough effort put into the world building that it feels like a living place, which after years of moving away from simulationist or representationalist concerns towards the theme parks of hard gamist designs is a huge relief. And you don't play as anyone special, which I love. If my character is touched by fate, it's a very soft touch, a nudge, nobody is granting me powers from on high. All of which means I can just be immersed in running around, concerned with the usual concerns of being a fantasy adventurer.

Skyrim never really gave me the same sense of world, and just being a person in it. Too much chosen one nonsense. Elden Ring gave me some Oblivion vibes, but never felt like a place so much as a bunch of Gothic concept art tossed into a map and seasoned with vague Gothicness to vaguely imply some vague sort of story or background. And while Oblivion's combat is kinda bad, I don't hate it's core design the way I do Elden Ring's.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I finally got around to playing Dark Souls. Almost done with it. Wish I hadn't bounced off of it so many times. Soooooo gooooooood.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

25. - Top - End - #955
    Spamalot in the Playground

Did the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Collector Ship
    and finished the loyalty missions, including Liara's DLC one. Some of them have very annoying encounters, and some were annoyingly easy, especially because I took the Cain into Grunt's mission.

Guess it's time to do the DLC before the endgame. Because it really feels too early to be heading to the endgame.
    This is a good idea - several of the random DLC missions have heavy weapon ammo which you can use to refill the Cain before the final boss. (The boss drops Cain ammo too but going in full is a good idea.)

A couple of them even have upgrades for Shepard that you'll want. I recommend doing Arrival AFTER the Collector Base though.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Finished Mass Effect: Andromeda (again), this time on NG+.

Honestly, the story was...meh...ok. Not great, not horrible, just meh. The thing that annoyed me tremendously? The fake loading screens (aka the fancy animations when moving from one system to another, etc). Oh, and if SAM says "mining zones are available via your mining interface" or other repetitive, tutorial BS again, so help me...

I liked the gunplay. Never was fond of hovering though. Preferred sniper rifles mostly.

Companions: Drak was the best. Liam was annoying. The banter between Drak and Peebee was pretty good. The rest were forgettable, mostly.

Verdict: Not as bad as people made it out to be. But not great. Solidly...meh. Honestly though, I'd rather play it than ME1, just because the controls and shooting were so much better. ME1's story wasn't that much better, although the companions were a bit better. But I wished the rover had a gun in ME:A. Give me back my Mako cannon.
    Blandromeda had so much potential. And at the time I consoled myself with the idea that at least Anthem was going to benefit from the resources that MEA had been denied. And... well...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #956
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Blandromeda had so much potential. And at the time I consoled myself with the idea that at least Anthem was going to benefit from the resources that MEA had been denied. And... well...
    I feel like the whole idea of Anthem was doomed from the start. To me, the biggest strength of Bioware is characterization and character interaction, and that's not really a thing that applies to a design like it had. Whereas the gameplay has never felt like a primary draw to any Bioware game for me.

27. - Top - End - #957

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Hmm, Prey was pretty good but this somehow must have gotten under my radar. Is it a standalone expansion sort of thing?
    Yeah! Prey Mooncrash is a standalone expansion, set in an entirely new area with a new story. The Typhon are still loose though, so it's very much "Prey but more so". One thing that is very interesting is their decision to give it roguelike elements, multiple protagonists, and a (very gentle) doom clock. I think it worked well but I can see how others would disagree. Definitely a very fun game though!

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is a good idea - several of the random DLC missions have heavy weapon ammo which you can use to refill the Cain before the final boss. (The boss drops Cain ammo too but going in full is a good idea.)

A couple of them even have upgrades for Shepard that you'll want. I recommend doing Arrival AFTER the Collector Base though.
    Considering I've fired heavy weapons about five times total so far I'm fairly certain I'll be full by then. While the game expects me to use them a lot more than I do I just can't find them worth it for most fights.

And yeah, Arrival will be the last bit of the game I do. I've done Zaeed, Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and now Firewalker, so it's just Overlord left before the Shadow Broker. I've noticed that the Hammerhead is even worse than the mako with it's only saving grace being it's missions taking it into account.

Really the best thing I got out of the DLC so far was the Stasis power and the ability to wear a dress. So here's me hoping that Overlord is slightly more substantial than LotSB.

Show

29. - Top - End - #959
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey now, the Mako is the ultimate space mountain goat and did nothing wrong. The only problem are the Halo-style controls, which were the style at the time.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The only problem are the Halo-style controls, which were the style at the time.
    Please! Don't give me PTSD by mentioning Halo and vehicle controls in the same sentence. Darn Warthog in the final mission...
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.