New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minecraft

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Minecraft

Starting a thread because the front page has no Minecraft thread.

I've been looking for a modpack to play-something not TOO CPU intensive, but with plenty of good stuff. Questing is preferred, but not required.
    Anyone got any recommendations? :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft

I don't really play mods so I can't really say how CPU intensive it is, but it sounds like the Vault Hunters modpack might be something that fits what you're looking for.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I don't really play mods so I can't really say how CPU intensive it is, but it sounds like the Vault Hunters modpack might be something that fits what you're looking for.
    Not my usual jam, but hey, worth checking out!

Thanks Alabenson. :)

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I recently went looking for mods that optimize Java edition so that I got less stutter when I played with shaders and texture packs. I found a set that so far does well;

Sodium & Lithium improve logic and memory usage. Phosphor improves the lighting engine. And then I use Iris to allow shader packs to function. These were made by the same author so they will work together well. Caviat is that they require you have the Fabric mod in your game first (which I had because I use a Pony mod that replaces mobs with little horses).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You can try installing an older minecraft edition like 1.6.4: it will suddenly run faster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I assume most people already know the simple "trick" of changing the load parameter of MC so that it will use more than 2GB of memory? That fixes a whole host of problems. I think most non-standard launchers change that too.

OptiFine (which I think is included in Forge now?) is always on my system. Though I'm not otherwise much into modded Minecraft and I haven't been playing much lately either way.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I assume most people already know the simple "trick" of changing the load parameter of MC so that it will use more than 2GB of memory? That fixes a whole host of problems. I think most non-standard launchers change that too.

OptiFine (which I think is included in Forge now?) is always on my system. Though I'm not otherwise much into modded Minecraft and I haven't been playing much lately either way.
    OptiFine is really the only mod I really use, though I've considered playing around with the Create mod. Mostly I've been playing around with redstone; I've designed a shulker unloading system that I can hook up to an item sorter which I'm still refining, and I'm debating using it as part of a large-scale storage system for the goods produced from my villager trading hall.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm more into building automated transportation systems with redstone. I put together a pretty good railway in the neither to get quickly between distant villages and to the fortresses for blaze rods. Has working switchyards and it's all protected from mob spawns.

Yes, a boat on blue ice is faster, but it's not automatic. ;)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Automaton which has quests but is also fairly freeform. My favorite pack for mod integration as well.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

10. - Top - End - #10

I also love to play mod apk beacuse it provide me extra things so I can easily win all the challanges

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Are there any rundowns of good RTX texture packs for Bedrock Edition? I've been using Kelly's, which is OK, but I wouldn't mind experimenting some.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

TakTopia is a fun standalone mod that changes the villagers of the game. since it's just one mod rather then multiple, it won't take much more processing power then vanilla minecraft.

only thing is that it's not designed to be compatible with other mods. so if you try to make a modpack with it included, you're on your own if any problems pop up.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else follow any of the members of Hermitcraft on Youtube?

My Homebrew

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else follow any of the members of Hermitcraft on Youtube?
    Nope. Direwolf20 is the only Minecraft YouTuber I follow.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I was looking up redstone stuff and YouTube wanted me to check out some of the not-Hermitcraft things Grian and Mumbo Jumbo made, I don't like Grian but got caught into HermitCraft through Mumobo Jumbo's stuff. Then the algorithm barfed up the entire Mycelium War arc from then... So then I'm watching ImpulsiveSV, Zedaph, IskallMan, and Bdubs- that last one took a while to grow on me, though. I also occasionally watch GoodTimesWithScar, but I have a freakish genetic condition that prevents me from fully enjoying his videos. (I don't like the music for Superfast Build Mode.)
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

i follow a bunch of them, not all of 'em but yeah.

Been following BdoubleO and Etho since back in the Mindcrack days.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

I only follow my brother with any consistency (Dionelr) on twitch. He's got a pretty relaxed, casual style which I prefer over the types that like to scream a lot in fake fear throughout their play through.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I couldn't stand Yogscast's sophmorish vibe. I get they're catering to the younger guys who are pretty immature, so lowest common denominator jokes land quite well for their demographic, but not my scene.

Honestly, there aren't many Minecraft youtubers I could really get into. Etho at least knew what he was doing, but his release schedule was spotty as he did things other than Minecraft, DW20 of course is popular but kinda samey. If you've seen one season, you've seen most of them. These days, he's doing hardcore packs that force him out of his niche which is an interesting changeup.

Of course, as I can no longer actually play Minecraft because I neither possess nor desire a Microsoft account, I'm scaling that back to the point that I am just kinda... done with Minecraft. I mean, I've been doing Minecraft for a while now, like I remember when the Nether came out during the Halloween Event kind of long ago. And since I can't play the game anymore, eh... I had a good run, but it is time to move on, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I think you can still play old versions via MultiMC if the itch grabs you but i get the sentiment.

As for me I watched Etho, AnderZel, VintageBeef, Blame the Controller... Sl1pg8r was fun but so high energy watching too much was... Exhausting.

I am very much a Functional builder so the more aesthetic players I just don't gel with.

Which explains why I enjoy DW20.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

You could try a mystcraft challenge: create a mystcraft world and go in it without a linking book and try to get back to the overworld.(no use of other dimension travelling mods, it can end up trivialising the challenge)
    Last edited by noob; 2022-04-12 at 06:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I think you can still play old versions via MultiMC if the itch grabs you but i get the sentiment.
    Nope, MultiMC requires you log in with an account as a check to be sure you aren't pirating the game. Which can now only be done through Microsoft's account.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's a shame. I've been largely enjoying Enigmatica 6 Expert mode now that I've accepted I'm gonna cheat a bit now and then to keep wanting to play.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Nope, MultiMC requires you log in with an account as a check to be sure you aren't pirating the game. Which can now only be done through Microsoft's account.
    It's a weird juxtaposition with my experience. On the Mac side, MultiMC's support for Microsoft Accounts got gated behind an OS update, so it was "You need to use this version or earlier to use Java accounts, this version or later to use Microsoft accounts." As a result, I'm just going through the vanilla launcher for now because I already had to register for Microsoft for reasons outside of Minecraft. Others have been suggesting I switch over to GDLauncher when I want to play with mods, but I don't know if that's gonna do the Microsoft Account requirement on your end.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

24. - Top - End - #24

I guess clay is crazy common underground now in 1.18+ cause I seem to trip over the blocks digging tunnels to find diamonds. It's kinda nice since I liked the brick aesthetic but never seemed to find enough clay to make entire building projects with it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I've started work on my next mega project, building a Wither Skeleton farm. A smart person would have selected a Nether Fortress to use that was mostly in lava, to minimize the amount of blocks that will need to be dug out to eliminate spawning spaces.

I am not smart.

My Homebrew

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

The tunnels I make in the Nether have a liberal number of stone buttons all over the floor to cover some of the spawning issues.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I took a few screenshots of my base to show off what I've been building, including my most recent build; a starter dripstone farm that I'm going to need so I can generate enough dripstone to build a much larger dripstone farm.

Spoiler: My Base
    Show

Last edited by Alabenson; 2022-04-28 at 11:55 AM.

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Leads to a quite important question: What the heck is Dripstone?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Leads to a quite important question: What the heck is Dripstone?
    On that last image, see the brown striated blocks that have similarly-colored triangles below them? Those.

When a Dripstone Block has water on top of it, and then a Pointed Dripstone below it (the triangle things), the Pointed Dripstone grows down longer over time. In that setup, the pistons will break off any new tips as they form, think like upside-down bamboo. The Pointed Dripstone can be crafted into more Dripstone Blocks, or weaponized: any Pointed Dripstone below the broken one will fall like an anvil and deal damage on impact (falling on a Pointed Dripstone is also harmful). You can also replace the water with Lava, and then put down a Cauldron below the Pointed Dripstone, and the Cauldron will eventually fill up with Lava (useful for people that don't have a way to automatically drain the Nether). There's another interaction planned with Mud Blocks, but hasn't been implemented yet.
    ---

30. - Top - End - #30

I took a few screenshots of my base to show off
    Wow. I am always amazed at how people can build these megastructures for a base. I always seem to max out with a 3/2 rustic village house, and luxury is if the bathroom has a working shower and toilet. XD

Recently I've gotten to like podzol blocks and have been working a spruce farm to make more of it for my landscaping.
    Digo Dragon - Artist