New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Chrono Cross: Rad Dreams Edit

I dunno if this thread will take off, but if you played this game back in the PSX days, I'm sure you'll agree: This game is dope. The remake isn't a HUUUGE upgrade, but I was surprised at being impressed by the mild improvements. They're enough, really.

So, I guess I'll jump right into it? Are you gonna start with Poshul? Devil Pip or Angel Pip? Will you team up with the dark magician Guile for a long-term payoff or challenge yourself with the gar(b)age band Nikki?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Chrono Cross: Rad Dreams Edit

Wait, what? A remake?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really a remake, and, honestly, its barely a remaster. The character models are "redesigned," but I don't see any substantial changes. Like, polygon edges are smoother, Kid has abs, sorta. Nothing big.

It also includes Radical Dreamers, if you like visual-novel games.

Edit: I forgot about the Squenix RPG remaster easy-mode stuff, like turning off encounters, increasing game speed and "battle boosts" (unlimited instant max health).
    Last edited by Burley; 2022-04-01 at 12:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    dark magician Guile Magus
    FTFY. And yes, will absolutely buy, though the graphics improvements seem basically non-existent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    FTFY.
    As far as I recall, Guile is not actually Magus in disguise in Chrono Cross, although the character he's based on, Magil from Radical Dreamers, was.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As far as I recall, Guile is not actually Magus in disguise in Chrono Cross, although the character he's based on, Magil from Radical Dreamers, was.
    Spoiler: Spoiler Cross
    Show
    Well, there's a letter to Kid from Lucca that says something about Kid being protected by "Janus," who is Magus. And, if you choose "Guile" at the first main story fork to infiltrate Viper Manor, you're basically playing through Radical Dreamers, where they are trying to steal the Frozen Flame, a relic of Zeal, which is Magus/Janus/Gil/Guile's home city.

The creators decided to drop the character's through-line at Chrono Cross, probably Magus is an optional recruit, anyway.

If you need more convincing,
    Spoiler: Radical Spoiler
    Show
    Kid is Schala, Janus's sister, who was turned into a baby by the Frozen Flame.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Purportedly he was intended to be, albeit having lost his memory, but that planning was dropped and it's never determined if he is or isn't. Either way, there are some massive similarities.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Spoiler: Radical Spoiler
    Show
    Kid is Schala, Janus's sister, who was turned into a baby by the Frozen Flame.
    A small correction.

Spoiler: Kid
    Show
    Kid is not Schala. She's closer to a daughter of Schala, or a body double or copy of some sort. Schala created her when she was part of the Time Devourer, to preserve herself should she be fully consumed by Lavos. Kid has no connection to the Frozen Flame other than the in-game events.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-04-12 at 10:05 PM.