New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morbius

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Morbius

Wow that was just..............bad
    I mean Jared Leto's performance didn't want to make me grind my teeth (which is a good first) but really the action was too dark and blurred and not really engaging even when I could tell what was going on.
    They used slow motion WAY TOO MUCH (YMMV)
    There were several silly plot holes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like how come the ship they are doing a science experiment on requires a team of mercenaries but no actual ships crew !

And painful to say the worst thing about it (even worse than the vampire make-up) was Matt Smiths performance Matt I saw 'Last Night in Soho' recently so I know you can do better than this

4/10 Would not recommend
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Morbius

Disagree, I thought it was decent. The biggest complaint I have is that the beginning is a little disjointed.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    • There was some nice use of foreshadowing with the mouse
    • Micheal is nicely distinct from Eddie and Venom - compare this to the MCU which is all quipping, all the time - and they did a good job portraying him as a decent guy who is nevertheless a bit of a troll.
    • Was a little disappointed they dropped the 'If you want to run, do it now' line from the very beginning scene
    • I'd heard rumors they'd dropped the Vulture from the movie, glad to see those weren't true even if it is basically just a cameo
    • We are 2/2 for Sony-verse love interests who have cats

Bit of a tangent, but the placement of the scene with the string trap in Costa Rica makes me want to see a crossover with Jurassic Park now.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    There were several silly plot holes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like how come the ship they are doing a science experiment on requires a team of mercenaries but no actual ships crew !
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've never run a ship myself, is there any reason they couldn't have been both? Regardless IIRC they said there were eight bodies and there were only 3-4 guys around that table.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2022-04-01 at 04:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I've never run a ship myself, is there any reason they couldn't have been both? Regardless IIRC they said there were eight bodies and there were only 3-4 guys around that table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But he clearly kills more than 4 guys with assault weapons. And both the FBI guys and Milo refer to the dead as being 'just mercs/thugs/guns for hire'
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    But he clearly kills more than 4 guys with assault weapons. And both the FBI guys and Milo refer to the dead as being 'just mercs/thugs/guns for hire'
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn’t follow that just because they know how to use guns that they can’t also pilot a boat though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Morbius is a character I distinctly remember from the cartoon, which why it surprised me that his backstory is basically same as Dr. Connor's, with bats instead of lizards. Thing I don't understand is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is there bunch of trigger happy mercenaries in an experiment ship? I guess they were working for Milo, but what was the point?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Morbius is a character I distinctly remember from the cartoon, which why it surprised me that his backstory is basically same as Dr. Connor's, with bats instead of lizards. Thing I don't understand is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is there bunch of trigger happy mercenaries in an experiment ship? I guess they were working for Milo, but what was the point?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are there for Morbius to kill but still be a 'good guy' because he only ate bad people

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

This one is gonna be a streamer for me (though I don't know which service it'll come to.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Does he have the weird sucker-mouth lamprey hands from the cartoon?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For some reason, Jojo Bizarre Adventure did that except it didn't receive much ridicule.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    For some reason, Jojo Bizarre Adventure did that except it didn't receive much ridicule.
    I'd assume because that doesn't even break the top ten weird things in JoJo.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In story?

Spoiler
    Show
    I had been under the impression it was their boat to begin with, and they just got hired to help. It’s a cargo ship with a room or two’s worth of space dedicated to lab equipment, not an outright hospital ship or science vessel, and not a yacht or similar so not likely something Dr. Morbius owned himself via a good income as a doctor. I gather the experiments Morbius was doing weren’t exactly legal, hence hired thugs instead of, say, scientists or other doctors. I suspect this is also why the experiments had to be done on the boat in the first place - Morbius mentions international waters; there are things that are legal to do there that aren’t in other places.

Spoiler
    Show
    They are there for Morbius to kill but still be a 'good guy' because he only ate bad people
    This is also probably true. An additional narrative reason was probably

Spoiler
    Show
    Having a ship at sea with the entire crew killed by a vampire is very Dracula.

Sadly no! I was hoping for that too.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Kareeah_Indaga;25416613]
    This is also probably true. An additional narrative reason was probably

Spoiler
    Show
    Having a ship at sea with the entire crew killed by a vampire is very Dracula.

True. I also noticed
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ship was named the Murnau which has got to be a reference to F.W.Murnau who directed the first Vampire movie 'Nosferatu'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Murnau

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

No, he's a strictly oral vampire.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

True. I also noticed
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ship was named the Murnau which has got to be a reference to F.W.Murnau who directed the first Vampire movie 'Nosferatu'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Murnau
    Ooo, I missed that!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Here are my thoughts on Morbius:
    Spoiler: My Thoughts On Morbius (2022)
    Show
    Yesterday morning I saw Morbius in IMAX. What I love about this movie it has so much action, the acting was great and it was very entertaining. There was nothing that I dislike about this movie. Jared Leto did a wonderful job performing Morbius and I have a feeling there will be a sequel. I'll beve this movie 10 out of 10/stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Here are my thoughts on Morbius:

Yesterday morning I saw Morbius in IMAX. What I love about this movie it has so much action, the acting was great and it was very entertaining. There was nothing that I dislike about this movie. Jared Leto did a wonderful job performing Morbius and I have a feeling there will be a sequel. I'll beve this movie 10 out of 10/stars.
    So...none of that is even vaguely a spoiler, it doesn't even discuss the plot.

That aside, this movie is just forgettable. It's a vampire movie. A boring, vanilla vampire movie with fairly little new on offer. I could nitpick about character motivations and stuff, but honestly, it's not worth caring about that much. If you've seen the trailer and literally any other vampire movie, nothing in this film will surprise or delight you.

Retreading the same old myth and adding nothing new still leaves a basically functional story, but there's no particular reason this needs to be a Marvel film. Even the sort of offbrand Marvel of Venom, rather than the MCU. It's lacking much in the way of humor, the action is mostly fairly straightforward brawling, and we don't get to see an awful lot of powersets.

Spoiler
    Show

It is yet another mirror match "superhero" fight. Yawn. This is definitely the way to phone in a superhero plot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    So...none of that is even vaguely a spoiler, it doesn't even discuss the plot.

That aside, this movie is just forgettable. It's a vampire movie. A boring, vanilla vampire movie with fairly little new on offer. I could nitpick about character motivations and stuff, but honestly, it's not worth caring about that much. If you've seen the trailer and literally any other vampire movie, nothing in this film will surprise or delight you.

Retreading the same old myth and adding nothing new still leaves a basically functional story, but there's no particular reason this needs to be a Marvel film. Even the sort of offbrand Marvel of Venom, rather than the MCU. It's lacking much in the way of humor, the action is mostly fairly straightforward brawling, and we don't get to see an awful lot of powersets.

Spoiler
    Show

It is yet another mirror match "superhero" fight. Yawn. This is definitely the way to phone in a superhero plot.
    Spoiler: More Information Of Morbius
    Show
    I thought comic shore covers the plot. So anyway Morbius is about a scientist who has a rare blood disease and injects himself with vampire bat blood to transform himself into a vampire.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I mean Jared Leto's performance didn't want to make me grind my teeth (which is a good first)
    Might I recommend Lord of War?

Imean, I will never not recommend LoW, but in this specific case, hey, you can get a second example! You may or may not like his character, but he plays the character perfectly.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-04-04 at 10:21 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Might I recommend Lord of War?

Imean, I will never not recommend LoW, but in this specific case, hey, you can get a second example! You may or may not like his character, but he plays the character perfectly.
    Y'know I have seen 'Lord of War' but it was before Jared Leto was on my radar and so I hadn't twigged it was him. But yes he was pretty good in it as I remember. He plays Nick Cage's brother yes ?
    To be fair to him I've heard from reliable sources he's good in 'Dallas Buyers Club' (which is on my 'to watch' list) it's just in any movie I've seen him in (LoW now excepted) he was bad, often painfully so.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    and we don't get to see an awful lot of powersets.
    I’m going to ask for clarification for this line, because by my count:

Spoiler: Powers on display
    Show
    • Super strength/speed/reflexes
    • Echolocation
    • Flight
    • Control over bats

…we’re already topping Captain America or Iron Man as far as number of powers being used.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: One Thing That I Notice About Mobius
    Show
    The sun does not affect Morbius.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Yeah he points that out himself. Though I will note

Spoiler
    Show
    Original Dracula didn’t go poof in the sun either.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Show
    I didn't watch the movie yet. Is he an actual vampire? I thought he's mutated or something like that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satohika View Post
    I didn't watch the movie yet. Is he an actual vampire? I thought he's mutated or something like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He splices his genes together with a vampire bat’s to try and fix a blood coagulation problem. That said, post-transformation he drinks blood, has super strength and controls bats, so for practical purposes he’s a vampire.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

He is more the hulk than a true vampire, but a fast hulk.
    Spoiler
    Show
    remember he needs to retake blood to activate his powers.
    He only tries fake blood and real blood. Never animal?
    I mean, vampire bats eat animal blood.

After credits, part two when he talks with dude.
    Spoiler
    Show

1st one was Vulture breaks out. 2nd he allys with Morbius.

I wasn't expecting two after credits. And will they be good guys or bad?

I am still dying to know if rat died. He just totally forgot about the poor thing. Is it a vamp too?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    As I remember the Vulture said he wanted to put together a group to 'do some good' or words to that affect. So presumably 'good guys', unless he meant do good for them

So.....a good version of the Sinister Six, maybe ?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I’m going to ask for clarification for this line, because by my count:

Spoiler: Powers on display
    Show
    • Super strength/speed/reflexes
    • Echolocation
    • Flight
    • Control over bats

…we’re already topping Captain America or Iron Man as far as number of powers being used.
    Those are powers, all of them together are a powerset.

Like, sure, Black Panther has more than one power, but both he and his primary opponent share the same powerset. This is a common issue in a lot of comic book movies, where the only other superpowered dude is a mirror of the protagonist. It's not inherently bad, but seeing the same formula over and over again is...predictable. The MCU sort of has cameos and stuff to help out with this. Seeing Iron Man or Dr Strange drop into someone else's movie as appropriate is kind of fun and gives options to mix things up.

Films that stick to just the one powerset frequently get...boring in the actual fights. Like the Venom movies. Fun, but mostly when watching Tom Hardy argue with himself hilariously. The actual dark symbiote vs dark symbiote punch out at night, ehhh. Gets repetitive, and the fight scene ends up forgettable.

Spoiler
    Show
    As I remember the Vulture said he wanted to put together a group to 'do some good' or words to that affect. So presumably 'good guys', unless he meant do good for them

So.....a good version of the Sinister Six, maybe ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, honestly, No Way Home kind of did Sinister Six. Not explicitly so, but it was a big ol' teamup of villains. Kinda works, IMO.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

He is more the hulk than a true vampire, but a fast hulk.
    Spoiler
    Show
    remember he needs to retake blood to activate his powers.
    He only tries fake blood and real blood. Never animal?
    I mean, vampire bats eat animal blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    I’d wondered about animal blood too; if I had accidentally turned myself into a vampire that would have been the first thing I’d try.

My best guess is that it might be an issue with supply - he’s in a major city, not farm country or wilderness, and as a doctor in a hospital human blood is probably easier to get at.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect it will end up a version of the Sinister Six but I can’t help but think Toomes’ intention is to start up a local version of the Avengers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I’d wondered about animal blood too; if I had accidentally turned myself into a vampire that would have been the first thing I’d try.

My best guess is that it might be an issue with supply - he’s in a major city, not farm country or wilderness, and as a doctor in a hospital human blood is probably easier to get at.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect it will end up a version of the Sinister Six but I can’t help but think Toomes’ intention is to start up a local version of the Avengers.
    Agreed

Spoiler
    Show

Like a dark Avengers?
    Could be cool. Though, they will need some high powered villians to fight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Went to the movie without having much followed any media coverage and after having watched it I am not the least surprised by the terrible critics and underwhelming box office performance.

What a bad movie, easily the worst superhero movie since Dark Phoenix