New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Return to Dark Tower

Recently got Return to Dark Tower.

It is a super cool update to the original game from the 80s.

Anyone else have it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Return to Dark Tower

Oooh...link? One of the things I regret was losing my copy of Dark Tower when my parents divorced.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Don't have a link. Easy to find on Boardgame Geek.

Very similar to original, but many cool new tweaks.

It's still just released for Kickstarters, so it's way expensive. It will come down eventually, but with manufacturing/shipping issues, it'll be a while before another production run happens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Glad to hear it turned out well. Was super tempted to back the Kickstarter when it happened (I back too many board game Kickstarters as it is though...), but was really worried about the tower being both really bulky and a worrying point of failure that could render the game useless if it broke.

Been looking up reviews though, and if it hangs around long enough to go on sale at retail I might grab it then. Be curious to hear what you like best about it though, didn't own the original either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If this was the version of Dark Tower that had a battery operated tower that got sued by the other Dark Tower game and had to go bye bye, then yes... yes i have it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I don't know anything about lawsuits.

I backed this game because I liked the original. This version is very similar but updated to modern tech. Of course, there is still the tower, but it operates with an app, instead of just buttons and blooping.

Each player has a character of asymmetric abilities. There are several monsters to choose from for each game. Several endgame quests and several endgame bosses. So, each game is different.

One thing that's new is the skulls. At the end of each players turn, they drop a little skull into the tower. This does several things. It tells the app that that player's turn is over. The skull may come out of the tower into one of the four kingdoms, or it may get trapped behind a seal. Occasionally, a seal gets broken and all the trapped skulls behind it get released. The end of the turn may also trigger events.

The game is designed for co-op play, but there are competition rules. It is hard to win, but cool when you do.