New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

Nah, the US let their rail system go to crap I could theoretically catch one from Chicago to Pittsburg...but then I'd have to drive 3 hours to Chicago, pay to park there for the duration (and pray it isn|t stolen and/or vandalized), then catch another train from Pittsburg to a stop another 4-hour drive from my dad's house, and either rent a car or ask him to drive 8 hours to pick me up. Either way, I pay out the butt for a rental car, or I'm stuck at his house.

Oh, and I would then have to also pay to board my dog because she wouldn't be allowed on the train. Driving 14 hours is nothing compared to that nightmare. Both less hassle and far less expensive. And my dog would be sad and lonely for weeks? Never.

Seriously, if you get really into a good audiobook, it isn't that bad. Just start early, drink lots of coffee, and don't start checking the time. Worry about the book instead, and it flies by.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-07-21 at 08:37 PM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, okay, fair enough. Myriad's player is a tougher cookie than his player, right?

Anyway, Teru doesn't seem to be around...and do we have any means of planar travel to go find him on his home plane, if needed?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Teru doesn't seem to be around...and do we have any means of planar travel to go find him on his home plane, if needed?
    Interesting quirk about Myriad - she is a true thief at heart. Can she get to another plane on her own? Not a chance in the Abyss. But, she could hijack someone else's supposedly secured/owned/sealed portal/gate. She basically does 2 things really well - she steals, and she lies. Those are really the only things she can do. She can just do both of those things in a lot of ways.

She steals:
    • Loot (because...murder hobo)
    • Identities (Changeling / Disguise)
    • Lives (Sneak Attack)
    • Secrets (Search / Listen / Gather Information / Listen to This, Detect Magic)
    • Pre-Planned Defenses (Trap Finding & Disarming)
    • Perceived safety (Intimidate)
    • Privacy (Open Lock)

She Lies/bluffs:
    • To Gate/Portal permissions to gain access (Silver Key class feature Master of Doors)
    • About who she is (Changeling / Disguise)
    • About what she can do (The feat Versatile Performer in Complete Adventurer, p. 112)
    • About even being in the room (Hide / Sneak)
    • About her attacks (Invisible Blade's Free Action Feint, Hidden Blade & Mosquito Bite)
    • To Magical Items to get them to work (Use Magic Device)
    • To get her way (Bluff, Diplomacy)

This was the foundation of her character design. The ability to do 2 things better than anyone else: Lie & Steal, in every way possible. That, to me, is what a "rogue" is. The planes are lucky she isn't an evil murder-hobo! lol

4. - Top - End - #94

I blame Myriad's currently stubby dwarf legs for her lack of grace. (O_O)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Let's see:
    Balance: (1d20+16)[25]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Balance: (1d20+2)[14]
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

So unless someone vehemently prefers it another way I'm going to do block initiative for the PCs only. I offer you two ways to do it: (i) you all roll initiative, I average rolls (rounding up); (ii) one initiative roll is made with the average initiative bonus (rounding up).

The expected initiative roll for the PCs' block is the same with both methods naturally, but (i) has a higher variance while (ii) is more controlled.

I prefer (i) so you all still do something when time comes to roll for initiative, but I expect (ii) is better for the PCs because it's not common for monsters to beat the PCs in initiative, which lower variance will enforce more strictly.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-07-29 at 02:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    So unless someone vehemently prefers it another way I'm going to do block initiative for the PCs only.
    Block initiative's literally the single best thing one can go with in PbP.

I offer you two ways to do it: (i) you all roll initiative, I average rolls (rounding up); (ii) one initiative roll is made with the average initiative bonus (rounding up).

The expected initiative roll for the PCs' block is the same with both methods naturally, but (i) has a higher variance while (ii) is more controlled.

I prefer (i) so you all still do something when time comes to roll for initiative, but I expect (ii) is better for the PCs because it's not common for monsters to beat the PCs in initiative, which lower variance will enforce more strictly.
    My vote's likewise in favour of option no. 1.

9. - Top - End - #99

Same! I rolled an initiative check "(if needed)", in case everyone opts for that way - otherwise, disregard :)

Also...

TO BATTLE!
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-07-29 at 10:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! (And preferably roll above 8 on occasion.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-07-30 at 09:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Just an FYI, I'll be driving back to Illinois From Pennsylvania tomorrow - about a 13 hour drive, so will likely be offline until Iäm back and have slept properly.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

A 13 hour drive? A 20-minute nap and you'll be good to go, I assume :D

Alright, I'm liking option 1 too, as rolling dice is funny. Here comes: (1d20-4)[16]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, since Ux is riding Ereshki at the moment, I'm moving his symbol out of the map, and we assume he is currently located on, say, the upper left square out of all the four that his mount occupies.

14. - Top - End - #104

Alright, I'm liking option 1 too, as rolling dice is funny. Here comes: [roll0]
    Truly, luck is a fickle thing! (In other words, I love how Ux Utanar's initiative came up higher than Myriad's and just shy of Delja's, despite the -4 penalty and the truly morbid mdifiers we had.)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

It is ^^ I did take that flaw for a -6 to Init rolls...

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright so since Ux Utanar does not auto-fail on 1s on his saves, he auto-passes the Fort and Will saves: (1d20+30)[46] and (1d20+28)[31]. Now, Ereshki rolls for paralysis: (1d20+11)[27]. In case that's an [enchantment] effect, it gains a +4 bonus on that roll due to the Devotion wild cohort bonus.

As far as Fort saves are concerned, Ux Utanar radiates a Draconic aura that grants a +4 bonus to these saves to any ally within 30ft.

Time to roll some offensive dice!

EDIT: man, I had forgotten how forever it takes to type up a post for a high-level character
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-08-03 at 10:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Myriad auto-passes the will save (+22 modifier means a minimum roll of 23).

Are Myriad and Delja successfully flanking either aberration from their positions flanking the door (with or without a 5' step)?

And it has been a while since I used a character with sneak attack - If they're flanked, does each attack get extra sneak attack damage, or only the first attack (I know it is only the first attack when it's feinted or otherwise flat-footed, as the first attack makes it so they're not flat-footed anymore for the iterative attacks.)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

To each attack, so that'll be a bunch of extra dice, usually :) however I think neither Delja nor Myriad actually flank the aberrations. And saves can be auto-failed on a natural 1 regardless of your save modifier, beware of that.

19. - Top - End - #109

To each attack, so that'll be a bunch of extra dice, usually :) however I think neither Delja nor Myriad actually flank the aberrations. And saves can be auto-failed on a natural 1 regardless of your save modifier, beware of that.
    Oh! I was thinking of skill checks - those don't auto-fail on a 1. Derp. lol

Will Save: (1d20+22)[28]

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    Myriad auto-passes the will save (+22 modifier means a minimum roll of 23).

Are Myriad and Delja successfully flanking either aberration from their positions flanking the door (with or without a 5' step)?

And it has been a while since I used a character with sneak attack - If they're flanked, does each attack get extra sneak attack damage, or only the first attack (I know it is only the first attack when it's feinted or otherwise flat-footed, as the first attack makes it so they're not flat-footed anymore for the iterative attacks.)
    Well, A1 is flat-footed, since it's yet to act, but provided you just forgot to move your token and M. is near the door, the bit with the flanking is also doable if Myriad 5' steps to below Ereshki. I'll go set it up for you.

Oh, and Will: (1d20+18)[26]

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, A1 is flat-footed, since it's yet to act, but provided you just forgot to move your token and M. is near the door, the bit with the flanking is also doable if Myriad 5' steps to below Ereshki. I'll go set it up for you.

Oh, and Will: [roll0]
    Crap. Yeah, apparently the change I made from my phone didn't take when I did my last post, so I'm not in the position I posted about. *Facepalm*

22. - Top - End - #112

Crap. Yeah, apparently the change I made from my phone didn't take when I did my last post, so I'm not in the position I posted about. *Facepalm*
    You know Rule no. 1: Text Trumps Table! Let me see that sneak attack and all its friends!

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    You know Rule no. 1: Text Trumps Table! Let me see that sneak attack and all its friends!
    For some reason, it isn't let me edit the map document properly. This is the first time I've tried on the new laptop. I'll try fixing the issue tomorrow, but in the meantime if someone could move me monster adjacent, I would appreciate it! *stab stab stab stab*

24. - Top - End - #114

For some reason, it isn't let me edit the map document properly. This is the first time I've tried on the new laptop. I'll try fixing the issue tomorrow, but in the meantime if someone could move me monster adjacent, I would appreciate it!
    Done!

*stab stab stab stab*
    [Manic laughter.]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, do you guys have either Improved Evasion or immunity to electricity? Because you will be in the path of my breath weapon in case my readied action is triggered...

26. - Top - End - #116

Not as such, no, but she has Evasion, Dive for Cover (with the ability to stand from prone as a swift without provoking) and universal energy resistence 10. I like her chances.

27. - Top - End - #117

Roll to confirm crit: (1d20+27)[43]

No evasion, but Mettle instead. SR 25, but that doesn't help with breath weapons I don't think. But, her reflex save is +24 so she'll likely only take 1/2 damage at least? lol

Lack of serious defenses is what her Vampiric dagger is for though, so not TOO worried about it. Yet. Almost took 2 levels of Psychic Rogue to pick up more sneak attack and Evasion (and a Power or two), but Warlock invocations for extra bluff for feinting + at-will detect magic + seeing invisible + darkvision + a ranged attack took priority in the build concept.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-08-09 at 01:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, having Mettle is I think more important, as it is both more powerful and more difficult to obtain. A Ring of Evasion is not that expensive.

Anyway, thanks for the style remark Metastachydium, too bad I rolled a natural 1 on that charge, it's going to ruin the effect a little bit :D

I'm off the grid for a few days mate, I'll let ya handle that slug !

29. - Top - End - #119

Listen: (1d20+27)[32]

30. - Top - End - #120

No idea if the sphere is movable, but Myriad will absolutely be making the attempt to pocket it when the party bounces from the pocket dimension. Gore & Goo? Pfffft. Nothing some elbow grease and a warren of hired kobolds can't clean up - they get hired to clean sewers in large cities, so this should be a piece of elven cake. lol