New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Persona! Gosei High

Welcome to the city of Kurikita! Right in the heart of Japan. Keep in mind that this game is a work of fiction, and any events, people, or places relating to the real world, are purely coincidental.

Only those who have accepted these terms may play this game. If you accept, then the contract is sealed, and you choose this fate of your own free will.

After all, actions have consequences.

We start the year on March 31st, a Sunday in 2024. You each attend Gosei High, which is the more prestigious of the two schools in the city, though it does prefer students to stay in the dorms. This year, however, they have opened the first co-ed dorm with only certain students being moved in thus far, and the school is supporting the local Spring fair.

You each begin at the school gates for the fair, a celebration of the oncoming spring. The trees are in full bloom, as cherry blossom leaves coat the street. Unfortunately, pollen is at an all-time high as well.

The street food coats the air, complete with the usual weird takoyaki stand. Many of your classmates are spread around. Describe where you enter from, and who you are. Your classmate and dormmate, Arata, is with you. He stands at 5' 8", with dyed blonde hair with multiple hair clips in to keep it in place. He has his trademark handheld game with him, and old PS Vita.

"Man, break is way too short........ what do you guys think? At least the principal didn't talk our ears off early."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-01-20 at 09:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Persona! Gosei High

Chrétien Dumas breathed in the heady scent of the trees’ blooms and the Spring Festival’s food stalls. It felt like the light breeze was tousling his hair playfully — inviting him forward into the flow of conversations that he could mostly understand. The mixture was more intoxicating than the wine he would have to forego while studying in Japan. It was a sort of sacrifice but the adventure it brought was more than worth such a small cost — especially since he would be getting the occasional reprieve when visiting his uncle in Tokyo.

He surveyed the scene before him. The world had been sharpened by the newness of the place and culture and everything felt more vivid than it would have seemed in Troyes — although after a few months here, his home city might take on such freshness.

He broke into a smile as he stepped forward to enter the fair, glad that his brief time in Tokyo had permitted him to get over his jet lag and adjust to the time difference. He didn’t want to miss anything.

Chrétien had been to similar local celebrations in France. Such affairs could be found everywhere in the world, marking important dates in the local seasons and calendars. But this was new and he could lose himself in a kind of anonymity. Yes, he stood out but he appeared here without the baggage of personal history or reputation.

His eye caught the glint of sunlight on a nearby koi pond.

Perhaps not entirely anonymous, he reminded himself as he walked up to it. That is, if such gateways could be opened from any place and it had not all been part of his imagination.

The scene here was beautiful enough to be worthy of her so it seemed possible — even if the strange trees and architecture made it seem less likely.

But La Demoiselle followed her own rules — rules he could not even guess at.

Nor was it his place to guess.

He knew he was in her service and subject to her call. That was enough to be getting on with.

But until she called, a new adventure beckoned before him in this faire — the Spring Festival.

Tres apropos,” he observed quietly to himself. A new start to the year here and a new beginning for him.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-01-20 at 10:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

An Inauspicious Start:

Sakuma Matsuyo walks up on Arata for the fifth time in as many minutes. He holds his piecemeal camcorder in one hand, and a glint of aggravation in his eyes. "I give up. If the wind's not blowing in the right direction, someone walks right through the shot, if it's not that, they bump into me, or the sun's behind a cloud."

He sighs and opens the flap of his satchel and carefully places the 3rd-hand camcorder in it's foam-padded socket and draws out an equally hodgepodge DSLR, several brand names are visible across it's various components. With his free hand he adjusts his tie - the same shade of red as his hair, and then reaches up and adjusts how his hat sits as well.

"I think you should be grateful it's as long as it is, shouldn't you Arata-kun?"

The photo-hobbyist crouches down on his haunches, bringing the camera up to his eye and bracing his elbows on his knees as he takes a few shots of the takoyaki stand.

"Another year and summer breaks are over forever." Sakuma says with a smile.

He goes down to one knee and twists at the waist, whipping his camera around to try and catch a snapshot of Arata's expression. His grin is visible, even if his 'all-seeing-eyes' aren't.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

As a sakura petal falls onto her dark hair, Igarashi Akiko absently shoos it away with one hand. With all the pollen in the air she was glad she wasn’t allergic, unlike her dad and—

She stops the thought, instead focusing on Sakuma and his attempting to get a few good shots with his camera. While she’d never gotten into photography, she knew how hard it was to create a composition you liked.

“He’s right, Arata-kun,” she says as she comes up beside the taller boy. “Next year we’ll have to start worrying about our college entrance exams, if you don’t go straight to work, that is.”

She reaches up to her necklace and fiddles with the guitar pick there before she mindfully pulls her hand back down so her mood can’t take a downturn. She was determined to try and enjoy today.

Akiko’s gaze moves to the intriguing blond foreigner she’d seen a few times in the dorm. She couldn’t remember his name, other than it being hard to say. Her face gains a tinge of pink as he smiles and she gives herself a mental pinch. She already liked one guy that wasn’t interested in her. No need to make it two.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-01-23 at 08:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    Chrétien Dumas breathed in the heady scent of the trees’ blooms and the Spring Festival’s food stalls. It felt like the light breeze was tousling his hair playfully — inviting him forward into the flow of conversations that he could mostly understand. The mixture was more intoxicating than the wine he would have to forego while studying in Japan. It was a sort of sacrifice but the adventure it brought was more than worth such a small cost — especially since he would be getting the occasional reprieve when visiting his uncle in Tokyo.

He surveyed the scene before him. The world had been sharpened by the newness of the place and culture and everything felt more vivid than it would have seemed in Troyes — although after a few months here, his home city might take on such freshness.

He broke into a smile as he stepped forward to enter the fair, glad that his brief time in Tokyo had permitted him to get over his jet lag and adjust to the time difference. He didn’t want to miss anything.

Chrétien had been to similar local celebrations in France. Such affairs could be found everywhere in the world, marking important dates in the local seasons and calendars. But this was new and he could lose himself in a kind of anonymity. Yes, he stood out but he appeared here without the baggage of personal history or reputation.

His eye caught the glint of sunlight on a nearby koi pond.

Perhaps not entirely anonymous, he reminded himself as he walked up to it. That is, if such gateways could be opened from any place and it had not all been part of his imagination.

The scene here was beautiful enough to be worthy of her so it seemed possible — even if the strange trees and architecture made it seem less likely.

But La Demoiselle followed her own rules — rules he could not even guess at.

Nor was it his place to guess.

He knew he was in her service and subject to her call. That was enough to be getting on with.

But until she called, a new adventure beckoned before him in this faire — the Spring Festival.

Tres apropos,” he observed quietly to himself. A new start to the year here and a new beginning for him.
    Arata grins widely, hearing the comment of Chrétien, assuming that it was a mention of approval. A hand clapped on the Frenchmen's shoulder from the boy assigned to be his guide.

Then again, Arata needed more friends and was glad for the opportunity. He never mentioned it to them, but he volunteered for the spot.

“My French is not that good, but I'm hoping that's along the line of, ‘very good’.” He chuckles a bit.

“We do have all day as well, so feel free to check out everything you like, we've also got permission to show you around the school too.”

He was torn from the thought as Sakuma wheeled around with his camera and sighed.

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    An Inauspicious Start:

Sakuma Matsuyo walks up on Arata for the fifth time in as many minutes. He holds his piecemeal camcorder in one hand, and a glint of aggravation in his eyes. "I give up. If the wind's not blowing in the right direction, someone walks right through the shot, if it's not that, they bump into me, or the sun's behind a cloud."

He sighs and opens the flap of his satchel and carefully places the 3rd-hand camcorder in it's foam-padded socket and draws out an equally hodgepodge DSLR, several brand names are visible across it's various components. With his free hand he adjusts his tie - the same shade of red as his hair, and then reaches up and adjusts how his hat sits as well.

"I think you should be grateful it's as long as it is, shouldn't you Arata-kun?"

The photo-hobbyist crouches down on his haunches, bringing the camera up to his eye and bracing his elbows on his knees as he takes a few shots of the takoyaki stand.

"Another year and summer breaks are over forever." Sakuma says with a smile.

He goes down to one knee and twists at the waist, whipping his camera around to try and catch a snapshot of Arata's expression. His grin is visible, even if his 'all-seeing-eyes' aren't.
    He just shook his head at first, still with a grin. “Just the dangers of filming in the moment I suppose. We’ll get some posed ones too before the day is done.” He looked around a moment.

“Actually, there's a decent spot over by the pond where you’ll be able to get the crowd and speech of Gosei-Sensei when he gets up there.”

Akikio had also surprised him with the chiding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    As a sakura petal falls onto her dark hair, Igarashi Akiko absently shoos it away with one hand. With all the pollen in the air she was glad she wasn’t allergic, unlike her dad and—

She stops the thought, instead focusing on Sakuma and his attempting to get a few good shots with his camera. While she’d never gotten into photography, she knew how hard it was to create a composition you liked.

“He’s right, Arata-kun,” she says as she comes up beside the taller boy. “Next year we’ll have to start worrying about our college entrance exams, if you don’t go straight to work, that is.”

She reaches up to her necklace and fiddles with the guitar pick there before she mindfully pulls her hand back down so her mood can’t take a downturn. She was determined to try and enjoy today.

Akiko’s gaze moves to the intriguing blond foreigner she’d seen a few times in the dorm. She couldn’t remember his name, other than it being hard to say. Her face gains a tinge of pink as he smiles and she gives herself a mental pinch. She already liked one guy that wasn’t interested in her. No need to make it two.
    He sighed. “You're right, you're right. Just wishful thinking. Which, it's been a bit so how were the breaks on y’alls end? I know we haven't had a lot of time but, Akikio-chan, Sakuma-san, this is Chrétien-san. He'll be with us in the dorm for this year, and maybe next if he is able to. Also looks like we're all in 2-B this time so makes things mildly easier.”

He looked around a bit as he awaited Chrétien's first choice in what to see. The people were passing by them, blocking Sakuma's shots every now and then.

Akikio would see a few fellow band mates passing and waving as well.

“Maybe we can find the others and get a full dorm photo,” he said off handedly as someone had passed by.

A group of third years walks past you and you each overhear their conversation.

“Did you hear they brought in a fortune teller this time?”

“So lame!” One of the girls responds with a laugh.

“Yeah, maybe some warning about not playing the Persona game, or even just a fake card drawing about love and friendship.” They start cackling after the mocking tones.

Arata scowls a bit. “Shouldn't knock a practice until they try it….” He said shaking his head. "Though, am a little interested to see what that teller has to say later." He grins a bit.

Of the options, multiple carnival style games, food stands, and random vendors line the courtyard.

OOC: Arata will be listening to all the suggestions at first and devise a plan for maximum fun for his dormmates.

Options include, aside from the various food,
    Darts games with rather cheap prizes, goldfish game to get a pet, a ball lotto game for a gift card to Sakuma's pawn shop buddy, target game by the local airport shop, and spooky maze set up in the gym. Gotta find my notes when I get on campus for the other stuff.

Also live music from 3 local bands, one jazz, one rock, and one aspiring pop idol.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-01-24 at 08:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Arata grins widely, hearing the comment of Chrétien, assuming that it was a mention of approval. A hand clapped on the Frenchmen's shoulder from the boy assigned to be his guide.

Then again, Arata needed more friends and was glad for the opportunity. He never mentioned it to them, but he volunteered for the spot.

“My French is not that good, but I'm hoping that's along the line of, ‘very good’.” He chuckles a bit.

“We do have all day as well, so feel free to check out everything you like, we've also got permission to show you around the school too.”

He was torn from the thought as Sakuma wheeled around with his camera and sighed.
    “It means, roughly, ‘very appropriate’ — although it has that sense of it being good. The spring seem like such a good time for new beginnings. Ceaser should have left that as it was, I think,” he added with a wink.

He sighed. “You're right, you're right. Just wishful thinking. Which, it's been a bit so how were the breaks on y’alls end? I know we haven't had a lot of time but, Akikio-chan, Sakuma-san, this is Chrétien-san. He'll be with us in the dorm for this year, and maybe next if he is able to. Also looks like we're all in 2-B this time so makes things mildly easier.”

He looked around a bit as he awaited Chrétien's first choice in what to see. The people were passing by them, blocking Sakuma's shots every now and then.
    Enchante, Mademoiselle,” Chrétien offered with a petit bow — still awkwardly positioned between East and West.

“Maybe we can find the others and get a full dorm photo,” he said off handedly as someone had passed by.

A group of third years walks past you and you each overhear their conversation.

“Did you hear they brought in a fortune teller this time?”

“So lame!” One of the girls responds with a laugh.

“Yeah, maybe some warning about not playing the Persona game, or even just a fake card drawing about love and friendship.” They start cackling after the mocking tones.

Arata scowls a bit. “Shouldn't knock a practice until they try it….” He said shaking his head. "Though, am a little interested to see what that teller has to say later." He grins a bit.

Of the options, multiple carnival style games, food stands, and random vendors line the courtyard.

OOC: Arata will be listening to all the suggestions at first and devise a plan for maximum fun for his dormmates.
    “As to what we should do and see, I must defer to the three of you. Everything is nouveau here and feels like an adventure — whether it would be seeking out our fortunes or learning more of this Persona game the upperclassmen so denigrate. Is it a team sport or an individual contest like fencing or tennis?”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko bows to Chrétien. “Nice to meet you. How long have you been in Japan?” she ask curiously. “Your Japanese is very good.” She gives him a hint of a smile along with the compliment.

After the foreigner’s reply, she turns to look down toward the festivities, spotting several games she’d like to try her hand at.

“I think we should go check out what prizes we can win,” she suggests. “I think I see that goldfish ring game. I’d love to get a little pet for my dorm room. I could try out some of my new watercolor paints if I had a fish to model for me,” she says slightly jokingly.

And I can see if Koji-san is around, she thinks to herself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Inauspicious Start II:

Sakuma straightens again as the conversation turns toward keeping occupied. He looks about, pondering the various booths, carnival games, and the whole ensemble.

He shrugs. "I don't have much of a preference, I can people watch no matter what we do or where we go. It would be nice to swing by the Test of Courage maze before we overhear too many spoilers though."

I wonder if I could cobble together enough B-roll to upload it as a piece of found footage...

He casts his eyes back over small cluster of students, evaluating who to elevate as 'the only survivor.'

He smiles and shakes his head looking at the ground and the camera in his hand.

Of course, the cameraman always survives.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Akiko bows to Chrétien. “Nice to meet you. How long have you been in Japan?” she ask curiously. “Your Japanese is very good.” She gives him a hint of a smile along with the compliment.
    “Domo arigatou,” Chrétien Replied, chancing a hint of familiarity. “My uncle insisted I learn while I was younger. His company’s connections to Japan insured that there were enough native speakers moving in and out of town that I got a lot of practice.”

After the foreigner’s reply, she turns to look down toward the festivities, spotting several games she’d like to try her hand at.

“I think we should go check out what prizes we can win,” she suggests. “I think I see that goldfish ring game. I’d love to get a little pet for my dorm room. I could try out some of my new watercolor paints if I had a fish to model for me,” she says slightly jokingly.
    Inauspicious Start II:

Sakuma straightens again as the conversation turns toward keeping occupied. He looks about, pondering the various booths, carnival games, and the whole ensemble.

He shrugs. "I don't have much of a preference, I can people watch no matter what we do or where we go. It would be nice to swing by the Test of Courage maze before we overhear too many spoilers though."
    “Sakuma-San can document your efforts to liberate your future pet from it captivity,” Chrétien effused, noting the young man looking back and forth between the crowd and his camera. Such attention to detail seldom came without some skill. “Shall we make that the first part of our adventure today or would keeping it in your bag become awkward?”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“I was hoping that they might hold onto it for me until the end of the festival,” Akiko confesses. “And anyway, I’d have to win it first.”

She looks over to Sakuma, unsure about taking on the maze, but shrugs after a moment. She could always leave if it got too intense.

“How about it, Arata-san?” she asks her classmate. “Games first, then the maze?”

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

Arata smiled seeing his classmates getting along, though he didn't know who else might be getting assigned to their dorm as well. He shifted a bit so the bigger messenger back on his back was in view. Chrétien's explanation of his uncle and company again helped him keep in mind that certain things were still variable, and he would need to do his best as a guide.

"I got plenty of space to carry stuff for us as needed, and," he smirks glancing at Sakuma. "We'll get a good few options for the Test of Courage. And hopefully, avoid spoilers as much as possible since it seems like a lot of people aren't at it yet." He glanced back to where the group had been, and shook his head seeing that the gym was mostly avoided for now.

Thankfully, He sighed. Looking back at Akikio, he nodded. "That sounds like a wonderful plan, Akikio-chan! And no doubts that you'll get the perfect model for your art." He turns to Sakuma quickly. "And give me the signal if I need to block people's paths from the shots."

“As to what we should do and see, I must defer to the three of you. Everything is nouveau here and feels like an adventure — whether it would be seeking out our fortunes or learning more of this Persona game the upperclassmen so denigrate. Is it a team sport or an individual contest like fencing or tennis?”
    As they walked over to the goldfish game, Arata turned to Chrétien. "More so to answer your earlier question, it's a rumor that's been making rounds. The exact place it started isn't known but most high schoolers first heard about it from the football team from St. Hermelin High a couple years ago. From what I've gathered, it's a bit more of a test of wills where you need four or five people to walk around a room. Each one says a phrase and it's supposed to show you your true self."

Arata shrugs as he explains. "I've never known anyone to try it, though I've been curious if there was any truth to it. Probably nothing but hearsay, but could be interesting. They just say you have to do it near midnight." He waited in line as the barker called up the next contestant to the goldfish.

"STEP RIGHT UP!" He called out and then pointed at the group of four. "You there! You look like you may have what it takes! What do ya say young miss?"

Arata chuckles. "Guess he's calling ya up, Akikio-chan." He said before turning back to Chrétien. "Mainly some séance style thoughts."

Spoiler: Goldfishing!
    Show

Roll Proficiency 3 times

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko looks around at the possible prize goldfish and sets her sights on one in particular.

She takes a steadying breath before she tries her hand at the game.

OOC: Proficiency: 9, 3, and 6

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

Akiko looks around at the possible prize goldfish and sets her sights on one in particular.

She takes a steadying breath before she tries her hand at the game.

OOC: Proficiency: 9, 3, and 6
    The fish all swirl and try their best to avoid the paper net. Akiko thankfully catches her prize unaware and manages to scoop it into the bowl. The barker's eyes nearly pop out of his head and Arata just laughs.

"HOW DI-" He clears his throat before congratulating you." I mean, congratulations little lady! And it looks like you also stole our grand prize as well. As early in the day as it is, we can hold onto him for you, or you can carry him with you. Let me bag him right fast. What is the name?"

Arata watches as the barker starts bagging Akiko's prize and turns to his friend. "Well then, looks like you had the best luck out of the players today. Gratz Akiko-chan!"

While Arata makes sure the barker is actually using the correct fish, Akiko and gang hear another voice coming up behind them.

"C'mon, Koji! If I'm gonna be in the dorms this year, I should be able to have a pet." A student who looks one year younger than you all is pulling on another's sleeve. The one names Koji just sighs.

"Fine, fine, I'll let you try a few times, but you gotta take care of it ok? Hey, you listenin' Yoshiro?" The jock type approaches you all with the younger student. Yoshiro is wearing the standard uniform for the school while Koji is wearing the school's tracksuit, colored deep green to match the plaid on the usual uniform bottoms.

Koji looks up and sees the gang there and waves at Akiko. "Yo, Aki-chan! Guessin' you're here for the same reason as Yoshi yeah?"

The younger brother looks up and grins widely seeing Akiko. From what everyone else can gather, you don't exist to Yoshiro. "Akiko-chan! It's so good to see you again!" Yoshiro is practically beaming.

Koji takes a look around at the rest of the group. "Yoshi, ya gotta call her senpai now. Get it right." He shakes his head. "So, I recognize Arata, how ya doin' bud? The game club still going this year?" Arata Glances back and flashes a grin.

"Oh you know it! And rather well, showing my dormmates everything there is. By the way," He gestures over to Chrétien. "This is our new exchange student, Chrétien Dumas of France. And I'm sure you know Sakuma-san."

Koji looks between them and shrugs. "Nice to meetcha, Chrétien-san and Sakuma-san. Takanashi Koji of the baseball team." He offers his hand as Yoshiro goes to start at the game. "And that's my younger brother, Yoshiro. When he finally grows his eyes back anyway."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-01-27 at 02:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

The younger brother looks up and grins widely seeing Akiko. From what everyone else can gather, you don't exist to Yoshiro. "Akiko-chan! It's so good to see you again!" Yoshiro is practically beaming.

Koji takes a look around at the rest of the group. "Yoshi, ya gotta call her senpai now. Get it right." He shakes his head. "So, I recognize Arata, how ya doin' bud? The game club still going this year?" Arata Glances back and flashes a grin.

"Oh you know it! And rather well, showing my dormmates everything there is. By the way," He gestures over to Chrétien. "This is our new exchange student, Chrétien Dumas of France. And I'm sure you know Sakuma-san."

Koji looks between them and shrugs. "Nice to meetcha, Chrétien-san and Sakuma-san. Takanashi Koji of the baseball team." He offers his hand as Yoshiro goes to start at the game. "And that's my younger brother, Yoshiro. When he finally grows his eyes back anyway."
    Chrétien smiles widely and takes the offered hand, somewhat surprised at the western greeting but willing to take what came. “I’m honored to meet you, Koji-san. I had heard that baseball was followed closely here in Japan but had not anticipated meeting a player so soon. Yoshiro-san appears even more excited than Akiko-chan. I hope he has her luck whether or not he possesses her skill. She rather deftly caught the prize fish not a moment or two ago.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“I think I’ll call him Kohaku,” Akiko says as the vendor starts to bag her fish. “If you wouldn’t mind, would you hold onto him for me? We’re going to look at the maze next, and I’d rather not jostle him too much.”

She hears two familiar voices behind her, and she turns with a self-conscious smile to greet them. A tingle runs down her spine as Koji calls her by her nickname. “Hi, Yoshiro-kun… Koji-san.”

Don’t blush. Don’t blush. Don’t blush. Keep talking. You know, like a normal person.

She falters for only a moment as she looks manages to make eye contact with Koji before continuing, “Yes, I thought it would be fun to have a pet in the dorms. I was joking that I could use him as a model for some watercolor art.”

See? You can talk to him. Just… don’t think about how much you like him. Or how good-looking he is. Or how intense and focused he got when he was tutoring you. Or…

Akiko quickly turns while Koji introduces himself to the others, and watches as Yoshiro attempts to catch a fish. “Did you decide if you were going to try out for band, Yoshiro-kun?”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-01-28 at 10:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

“I think I’ll call him Kohaku,” Akiko says as the vendor starts to bag her fish. “If you wouldn’t mind, would you hold onto him for me? We’re going to look at the maze next, and I’d rather not jostle him too much.”
    The vendor nods and writes the name "Kohaku" on a strip of masking tape, along with Akiko as he overheard her name from the boys. He nods back at Arata as he places the bag on a table near the back.

"It'll be no problem young miss," The vendor says with a grin before turning back to the game to get more customers.

She hears two familiar voices behind her, and she turns with a self-conscious smile to greet them. A tingle runs down her spine as Koji calls her by her nickname. “Hi, Yoshiro-kun… Koji-san.”

Don’t blush. Don’t blush. Don’t blush. Keep talking. You know, like a normal person.

She falters for only a moment as she looks manages to make eye contact with Koji before continuing, “Yes, I thought it would be fun to have a pet in the dorms. I was joking that I could use him as a model for some watercolor art.”

See? You can talk to him. Just… don’t think about how much you like him. Or how good-looking he is. Or how intense and focused he got when he was tutoring you. Or…

Akiko quickly turns while Koji introduces himself to the others, and watches as Yoshiro attempts to catch a fish. “Did you decide if you were going to try out for band, Yoshiro-kun?”
    Koji chuckles a bit as Akiko explains the thought of having a pet. "Man, considering the dorm that you're in, there's no shortage of models though. Come to think of it, isn't there another girl moving into that one too? Which, I need to finish moving in there too. Just got transferred to it."

Koji wore a smile and didn't hold himself as a usual jock would. Maybe it was because the season hadn't started, or maybe he was just super laid back. Over by the makeshift pond game, Yoshiro nods as he kneels beside Akiko.

"You know it! It's been a while since we've gotten to practice together, but I'm starting to improve more." He grins widely, before blushing and waiting for the right goldfish to pop up. "It feels like all my writing is going good, but I can't get the unity of the music. I need a good place to practice too, and I'm a bit scared my dormmates won't like it."

Yoshiro shudders a bit as he uses one of his scoops and misses the cup. "Crap........" He shakes his head before trying again. "Got any tips for me? Since you got the prized fish, Senpai?" He asks with a wide grin almost expectantly.

Chrétien smiles widely and takes the offered hand, somewhat surprised at the western greeting but willing to take what came. “I’m honored to meet you, Koji-san. I had heard that baseball was followed closely here in Japan but had not anticipated meeting a player so soon. Yoshiro-san appears even more excited than Akiko-chan. I hope he has her luck whether or not he possesses her skill. She rather deftly caught the prize fish not a moment or two ago.”
    Koji notices the bit of surprise on Chrétien's face as he takes his hand. He grins a bit. "Figured this may be more your style too. Learned a little during a major tournament and we faced some Brits. May make ya proud we stomped 'em."

At the mention of baseball, Koji's eyes light up. "Oh man, it's been my obsession since I was a kid! I wanna be a pro, but you know how hard that is. We'll have a lot of people trying out, even if they just want in for fun. Think our first game is away this year in Inaba." He shrugs. "Even if ya don't wanna join up, I'm sure we can get you a ride there so you can explore more."

Arata sighs, looking between them all. "You know they mostly only allow managers to go with the teams, Koji. But suppose Gosei-Sensei may make an exception." He tilted his head. "Hey, you hear any more weird rumors? I know you learned about the one from Hermelin talking with the football team, and then every time you mention Inaba there's the weird fog. Anything new?"

Koji shakes his head. "Nah, you know I don't put stock into those things." He turns back to Chrétien. "Yoshiro is tryin' to hide his nerves. He won't be in the same dorm as me bein' a first year and all, but he'll know a few kids there. He thought having a pet around would be a good idea too. Kid's super lucky." He chuckles.

His eyebrows raise at the mention of the prized fish. "Well then, guess she stole his luck today! Ya heard that right, Yoshi? Eh, he ain't listening. We've all known each other since we were kids, so a friend of Aki-chan's is a friend of mine." Koji says with a bow.

Arata grimaces as he moves to whisper into Chrétien's ear. "Whatever you do, don't use the nickname. Trust me, she can throw about as well as he can."

He looks around a moment, face mildly concerned as though he is worried.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-01-29 at 07:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Fair Play:

Sakuma briefly nods, acknowledging one of the school's premier athletes, before drifting over towards the goldfish game to follow up on Tien-san's suggestion. He gets a shot of Akiko poised with the net, followed with one of her victorious smile with the fish after she nets the catch of the day.

He wanders back over and watches the odd gaijin exchange of handshakes. Just like the papers. He thinks to himself.

"What's this about a strange fog out in Inaba?" He asks, bringing himself back to the present.

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Fair Play:

Sakuma briefly nods, acknowledging one of the school's premier athletes, before drifting over towards the goldfish game to follow up on Tien-san's suggestion. He gets a shot of Akiko poised with the net, followed with one of her victorious smile with the fish after she nets the catch of the day.

He wanders back over and watches the odd gaijin exchange of handshakes. Just like the papers. He thinks to himself.

"What's this about a strange fog out in Inaba?" He asks, bringing himself back to the present.
    Arata grins at the captured moments while Sakuma-san gets his pictures in. He manages to stop a few people from getting into the frame as best he can.

Koji turns and nods to Sakuma as soon as the question is posed. "Yeah, ya know how they had all those deaths a long while back? Turns out that the entire situation just resolved itself from nowhere, and now that same fog is back. Seems like the residents treat it as a bad omen now, but the fog doesn't let up." He shakes his head.

"The new police chief knows more about it. Seems like he's been keeping tabs on the town since he left. Seems like the star player at Yasogami High there went missing during the last few practices. Ran to pick up a ball he hit out of the diamond and then just, disappeared. Been about a week now with early practice time."

Arata tilts his head and raises an eyebrow. "It's not even the fog or rain season though....."

Koji shrugged. "No idea, but seems like it's caught Sakuma-san's interest!" He grins. "Will keep an ear open for the rumors if ya want."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Akiko shrugs as Koji mentions other possible models, but subtly perks up when he says he’s been transferred to the same dorm as her. Her imagination runs wild for a moment before she mentally pinches herself.

Turning her attention back to Yoshiro, she smiles at him. “After you pass the tryouts with flying colors, there’s several practice rooms that the director lets us use, so don’t worry about that. Let me know when you want to practice and I’ll try to be there too.”

“As for catching a goldfish,” she continues, looking down at Yoshiro’s quarry, “I think the best way to try and catch them is head on, or watch for one that’s hit a corner. They only have to choice to go left or right then.”

She watches as Yoshiro tries again, but keeps one ear on the conversation happening behind her. It was scary to think that a player at Yasogami just up and disappeared during practice one day. What could’ve happened to him?

“He’s been gone a week and they haven’t found any sign of him?” Akiko asks Koji.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-01-30 at 02:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

Akiko shrugs as Koji mentions other possible models, but subtly perks up when he says he’s been transferred to the same dorm as her. Her imagination runs wild for a moment before she mentally pinches herself.

Turning her attention back to Yoshiro, she smiles at him. “After you pass the tryouts with flying colors, there’s several practice rooms that the director lets us use, so don’t worry about that. Let me know when you want to practice and I’ll try to be there too.”

“As for catching a goldfish,” she continues, looking down at Yoshiro’s quarry, “I think the best way to try and catch them is head on, or watch for one that’s hit a corner. They only have to choice to go left or right then.”

She watches as Yoshiro tries again, but keeps one ear on the conversation happening behind her. It was scary to think that a player at Yasogami just up and disappeared during practice one day. What could’ve happened to him?

“He’s been gone a week and they haven’t found any sign of him?” Akiko asks Koji.
    Yoshiro nods and tries to focus on the fish he's eyeing, he also turns his head to hide a blush. "T-thank you Akikio-senpai. Tryouts have to be harder though this time right? I have an idea for the piece I want to play, but how do they work here? Same as before? Or does everyone watch and judge?"

Akikio can tell that he's getting more and more nervous, about what though, she's unsure.

Spoiler: Proficiency for Notice
    Show

Spoiler: Success!
    Show
    You notice that he's trying to hide his nerves, even though you have seen him super confident about music.

Spoiler: Failure
    Show
    He sure is nervous and his hand is shaking like crazy.

Yoshiro watches his prize as it moves towards the corner and he boxes it in. "I got it!"

The vendor claps his hands and congratulates Yoshiro as well, though not as over the top as he did Akikio.

After her question, Koji turns and shakes his head. "No sign yet. It's like he just vanished entirely." He grimaces a bit. "Strange rumors and happenings all around."

He pulls out his phone and starts drafting a text. "Yo, Sakuma-san, anything you want me to ask one of the guys over there?"

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

Yoshiro watches his prize as it moves towards the corner and he boxes it in. "I got it!"

The vendor claps his hands and congratulates Yoshiro as well, though not as over the top as he did Akikio.

After her question, Koji turns and shakes his head. "No sign yet. It's like he just vanished entirely." He grimaces a bit. "Strange rumors and happenings all around."

He pulls out his phone and starts drafting a text. "Yo, Sakuma-san, anything you want me to ask one of the guys over there?"
    “Are you our dorm’s answer to Maigret, Sakuma-san?” Chrétien asked the photographer with a smile. “Forgive me if I mistook your photographic posture as one more interested in art than investigation. But why not both, eh? Chronicler of the beauty in life by day and intrepid investigative photojournalist by night, shining the light of justice on those who would hide in the shadows!

“If so, you will need your chronicler, as Poe gave to Dupin. Should you be in the need of such a one, do let me know and I will be happy to tag along and make a record of your work. It would be good practice for my Japanese composition, if nothing else.

“The fog, I must confess, it does intrigue me. There are stories in France of other worlds being entered through the mist,” he said with a glance toward the nearby water. “That one may pass into such a place and its denizens may pass out into our realm. Are there such stories here in Japan? My father and uncle are sufficiently prosaic to wish me to focus on mundane things, such a s circuitry and programing. My mother studies such tales. I would be curious to know if there are similar stories here.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Fair Use:

Sakuma tilts his head in confusion, "Is so it weird to be curious about it?"

His eyebrow creeps up at Koji's offer, "What, like right now?"

The youth scratches at his hairline, frowning, considering it before shrugging. "I dunno, I guess it'd be cool to read what the local paper had to say about it, I guess? Is it really okay to ask them something like that about their missing friend?"

He turns to Dumas with a somewhat bewildered expression, mouthing along the exchange student's outburst before recognition dawns in his eyes. He's a Chuuni... Well, it'd probably be inconsiderate to ignore him...

Sakuma takes a deep breath, staring at his shoes, bracing himself, gathering his will before planting his feet and passing a hand in front of his eye, brandishing his camera with his free hand.

"It is as you say! Nothing can escape the unblinking, all seeing eye!"

His will breaks after a second and he pulls the brim of his hat down over his face, his face starting to flush to match his hair.

"I'm uh... I'm gonna go get something to eat, I'll be back in a few."
    Last edited by big teej; 2024-02-04 at 07:53 PM. Reason: link not cooperating

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“The tryouts weren’t meaningfully different than the ones for middle school,” Akiko replies to Yoshiro. “When I tried out, they called us in one by one. The director had me play the song that I chose, and then had me sight read a short peice. They posted the results the next day in the hall. That part was a little nerve-racking.”

She gives the younger boy a slightly sheepish smile with her confession.

“You’ve got this though, Shiro-kun. You’re good. You know I wouldn’t lie.”

While she notices his nerves, she doesn’t call any attention to it.

She gives him a wide smile when he catches his own goldfish. “Nice!”

Akiko blinks at Dumas’ words. While she’d complimented him earlier, he obviously had an even stronger grasp on his Japanese than she thought. She then then turns her head to hide a smirk at Sakuma’s pose.

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

Arata chuckles a bit seeing them all playing along with each other and tilts his head as Sakuma and Chrétien make their plans to team up. “A regular Sherlock and Watson, I’d say.” He says with a grin.

Koji also nods and then thinks about it for a second. “Ok, you may be entirely right about that. Might be a bit too soon to even ask anything about the fog.”

Both listened as Chrétien explained the myths of mists from his part of the world and looked at each other.

“Yo, Arata-kun, that sounds a lot like-”

Arata cuts him off. “Yeah, like what they say happens if you play that game.” Arata looks back at Chrétien before explaining.

“Most of our stories with other worlds take place within the ley lines and how most rivers flow along them. One of the oldest is a folktale about a fisherman who saved a turtle and was granted access to the undersea kingdom. There are also tales about how you can wander into another world through mirrors and even the shadow world if you manage it right. Most say that these worlds are just like ours, but with a few key differences.” He shivers a bit.

Toshiro looked over his shoulder hearing the conversation and shook his head. “I don’t like those stories at all….” He whispered before turning back to Akiko.

“If it’s just like middle school then it should be fine. So long as nothing breaks this time.” He half smiles and sighs.

“If waiting is the worst part, then I can handle that. And some good motivation to be around people I know!” He grins wider that he had listening to the conversation.

Arata continues on the other end. “Honestly, if you’re up for it, we can look further into it and even try out the rumor going around. I think the fog may also line up a lot with the mists stories in France.”

Koji nods in agreement. “I’ll pass on the rumor game, but I’m down to learn more about the mists. They say a lot of the mists come from Izanami, and pull you into the underworld.”

Koji shrugs. “Myth and history aren’t really my main areas though.”

Arata shakes his head. “Guess you need food like someone else then. Sakuma-san is right though. Breakfast and fair food isn’t a bad idea before tackling his test of courage.” He says with a smirk.

“Lead the way Sakuma-san!”

Koji turns to Yoshiro and Akiko. “You two wanna come with or catch up in a minute? Whatcha want to eat by the way?”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“Dango,” Akiko says emphatically as she gets up. I don’t want to eat too much. I’m not sure how scary the maze will be.

“I bet there’s taiyaki somewhere too,” she says, naming Koji’s favorite festival sweet.

At least she hoped it was still his favorite sweet. The last time they’d gone to a festival together they were both ten and Yoshiro was still eight since his birthday was later in the year. She remembered that Koji was adamant about finding the illusive taiyaki stand run by Mrs. Kimura. She only showed up to one or two festivals a year, if that.

Yukine, Akiko’s brother who was twenty at the time, had driven the three of them a few towns over to where he’d heard that Mrs. Kimura was going to be set up.

The memory makes her smile sadly. While they’d had a great time, they’d been unable to find the stand. Koji had pouted all the way home while she and Yukine had tried to cheer him up, saying that they could go next year. But they never did.

That summer, Yukine got hired at the same wealth management firm as her father. While he’d still made time for her, they’d never managed to do another trip like that. And now they never would.

She and Koji had drifted apart too, after he got into a traveling baseball league, and then made the team in middle school.

Akiko takes steadying breath and then follows the boys to the food stalls, keeping an eye out for one that sells the two foods she mentioned.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-02-09 at 08:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Arata chuckles a bit seeing them all playing along with each other and tilts his head as Sakuma and Chrétien make their plans to team up. “A regular Sherlock and Watson, I’d say.” He says with a grin.

Koji also nods and then thinks about it for a second. “Ok, you may be entirely right about that. Might be a bit too soon to even ask anything about the fog.”

Both listened as Chrétien explained the myths of mists from his part of the world and looked at each other.

“Yo, Arata-kun, that sounds a lot like-”

Arata cuts him off. “Yeah, like what they say happens if you play that game.” Arata looks back at Chrétien before explaining.

“Most of our stories with other worlds take place within the ley lines and how most rivers flow along them. One of the oldest is a folktale about a fisherman who saved a turtle and was granted access to the undersea kingdom. There are also tales about how you can wander into another world through mirrors and even the shadow world if you manage it right. Most say that these worlds are just like ours, but with a few key differences.” He shivers a bit.

Toshiro looked over his shoulder hearing the conversation and shook his head. “I don’t like those stories at all….” He whispered before turning back to Akiko.

“If it’s just like middle school then it should be fine. So long as nothing breaks this time.” He half smiles and sighs.

“If waiting is the worst part, then I can handle that. And some good motivation to be around people I know!” He grins wider that he had listening to the conversation.

Arata continues on the other end. “Honestly, if you’re up for it, we can look further into it and even try out the rumor going around. I think the fog may also line up a lot with the mists stories in France.”

Koji nods in agreement. “I’ll pass on the rumor game, but I’m down to learn more about the mists. They say a lot of the mists come from Izanami, and pull you into the underworld.”

Koji shrugs. “Myth and history aren’t really my main areas though.”

Arata shakes his head. “Guess you need food like someone else then. Sakuma-san is right though. Breakfast and fair food isn’t a bad idea before tackling his test of courage.” He says with a smirk.

“Lead the way Sakuma-san!”

Koji turns to Yoshiro and Akiko. “You two wanna come with or catch up in a minute? Whatcha want to eat by the way?”
    “Iz-a-nami?” Chrétien asked Kojo as he watched Akiko walk towards the food stalls. He hoped he had not embarrassed the aspiring photojournalist with his enthusiasm. “While my Japanese is pretty good, if occasionally colored by my use of manga and anime to maintain it, there’re still gaps in my cultural knowledge. Where is Iz-a-Naomi?”

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

“Dango,” Akiko says emphatically as she gets up. I don’t want to eat too much. I’m not sure how scary the maze will be.

“I bet there’s taiyaki somewhere too,” she says, naming Koji’s favorite festival sweet.
    Koji and Yoshiro both smile and then Koji's eyes widen. "Oh, so you remember that! Should be a dango stand somewhere, and can always hold plenty for after the maze. I bet Yoshi wants-"

Yoshiro turns beet red before interrupting Koji. "P-please don't! I'm nervous enough today as is, Koji!"

His brother puts his hands up and nods. "I gotcha, I gotcha. But you do need to eat more than just snacks today, aight? It's been forever since we've all been able to do this together."

Yoshiro nods and sighs as he follows along to find more food options. He stops and looks at a yakisoba stand for a moment while the group continues and as Arata starts to fill in blanks that Koji leaves out in conversations.

“Iz-a-nami?” Chrétien asked Kojo as he watched Akiko walk towards the food stalls. He hoped he had not embarrassed the aspiring photojournalist with his enthusiasm. “While my Japanese is pretty good, if occasionally colored by my use of manga and anime to maintain it, there’re still gaps in my cultural knowledge. Where is Iz-a-Naomi?”
    Arata looks at Koji with a deadpan stare. "This is why we gotta explain things, Koji-san." He says before turning back to Chrétien. "What Koji-san failed to mention, and me as well my apologies for that failing, Chrétien-san, is that Izanami is the goddess of the dead. Alongside her husband, Izanagi, they birthed all the gods that we revere here in Japan to this day, though not in the traditional sense of birth. Izanami was taken into the underworld and trapped there, much like........." Arata thinks for a moment on a good parallel to draw for the Frenchmen.

He nods as he concludes his thinking. "Much like the Orpheus and Eurydice story in Greek myth. At least, that's the best comparison I can think of at the moment." He shrugs before continuing. "Izanagi travelled to save her, but was unable to and became corrupted. Upon returning to this world, he rid himself of that corruption and the three main gods, Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, and Susanoo-o." He continues for a few moments on some mythos unless anyone stops him before returning to the statements about Izanami.

"They say that the direct entrance to the underworld is in the Izumo province, not overly far from Kyoto actually. Though, that entrance is blocked by an unmovable boulder placed by Izanagi himself."

All the while, Akiko manages to find a familiar face at a food stand. "Well now, it's been a while since I've seen you three. How have you been Akiko-chan? Ms. Kimura waves at her kindly.

If Akiko looks at her surroundings, Koji and Yohsiro are at the yakisoba stand just behind her. There is also a dango stand nearby as well that she can see Koji eyeing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

As they walk to the food stalls, Akiko takes a moment to walk in step with Yoshiro. “Okay, I have to ask. What are you so nervous about today Shiro-kun?”

After they part ways, Akiko is stunned to see the illusive taiyaki baker at the their school festival.

“Mrs… Kimura?” she says slowly. “You remember me? I haven’t seen you since I was like eight.”

She bows to the old woman. “Sorry, that was rude of me. Thank you very much for being here. Can I get three taiyaki please?”

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

As they walk to the food stalls, Akiko takes a moment to walk in step with Yoshiro. “Okay, I have to ask. What are you so nervous about today Shiro-kun?”

After they part ways, Akiko is stunned to see the illusive taiyaki baker at the their school festival.

“Mrs… Kimura?” she says slowly. “You remember me? I haven’t seen you since I was like eight.”

She bows to the old woman. “Sorry, that was rude of me. Thank you very much for being here. Can I get three taiyaki please?”
    Yoshiro jumps a bit at the nickname and tries to wave off any concern. "N-nervous?! It's just been forever and..." He sighs. "I don't wanna embarrass Koji. I know back in middle school it wasn't a big deal but he's a big shot here, and I don't want people to think I'm going to be a burden to him. Also, he was picking on me about doing kid stuff and telling me how girls wouldn't like it. Feels like too much change all at once, ya know?"

Later with Mrs. Kimura, she nods and smiles. "Not that long ago when you get my age, Akiko-chan. And you always tried to get a lot more of the taiyaki than you could eat too." She eyes the other stall. "Guess Koji-kun missed this stand entirely this year again."

She shook her head and chuckled. "To be fair, as many people as I see and deal with, I'd be surprised to remember a good number of them. I've actually just finished talking with Gosei-sensei about selling taiyaki in the school store. May only be on certain days, but it'll be nice as a treat for the hardworking students."

As Mrs. Kimura continues about the deal with Gosei, she wraps up three taiyaki for Akiko. "I'm glad to have been able to be here. I hope that you, Koji-kun, and his brother have a wonderful time today. And don't forget to get your fortunes read!"

Near Koji, Arata has come back with takoyaki from the stand labeled, "Weird Takoyaki". From what others know of him, this is not unusual, but you've never known him to really venture out and mess with food like that.

Spoiler: Proficiency for all to Notice
    Show

Spoiler: Success!
    Show
    One of those takoyaki in his hands is very different. He hasn't seemed to notice it.

Spoiler: FAILURE!
    Show
    Seems perfectly normal for food.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Fair Hijinks:

Having recovered his composure, Sakuma turns his attention back to the group. "Thanks Arata, that's really generous." He says, carefully selecting a normal takoyaki.

Sakuma surreptitiously readies his camera, hoping to get a reaction shot of whoever ends up with the 'lucky' Takoyaki.

Proficiency for Notice: Hit