A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 81 of 81
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Geeksthenewsexy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    'Drucilla' stares at the sphere for another few moments, mithral hand twitching slightly. "...Yeah, I'm gonna touch it. Maybe stand back, just in case." Giving a curt nod, she reaches out with her mithril arm, she puts action to her words, attempting to interact with the sphere as she mumbles something inaudible.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/222, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Traps: [roll]1d20+37


    She can make use of any magic door or portal she comes across as though she had the specific ability to do so, thanks to her Silver Key class capstone ability. If it doesn't fall into that category, she'll simply try to use the 'Activate Blindly' (or DEactivate, perhaps?) version of the skill Use Magical Device (1d20+30)[39]

    For any mishap, she does have SR 25, so....fingers crossed. lol

    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    remetagross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Ux Utanar cautiously inspects the romm without crossing the threshold. He is looking for signs that could indicate the time of the last use of the storage space. Is there dust on the floor, possibly with footprints? He extends a finger to swipe the nearest shelf and to scoop up a component pouch. Does that leave a dust-free circle beneath its resting place? Do the parchments seem to have started soaking in humidity, or do they appear crisp and rigid still? Are the tea-leaves relatively fresh, brownish and shriveled, or to the point where a light touch would see them crumble completely? Are the rations rotten, full of moss and fungus, or just a little stale?
    "Alright, this space has not been visited in quite some time, but I'm not sure if we're talking days, weeks, or months here." says the dragonborn to the others with a pensive tone.

    Once his assessment has been performed, Ux Utanar moves in and leafs through the notebooks, looking for a diary or an accountancy book of some sort which could provide some dates. He then comes back to the main space to observe, though from a few meters away, how 'Drucilla' is handling things.
    "If one person here is able to figure out this portal-thing, it's definitely you!"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

    And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Ux Utanar cautiously inspects the romm without crossing the threshold. He is looking for signs that could indicate the time of the last use of the storage space. Is there dust on the floor, possibly with footprints? He extends a finger to swipe the nearest shelf and to scoop up a component pouch. Does that leave a dust-free circle beneath its resting place? Do the parchments seem to have started soaking in humidity, or do they appear crisp and rigid still? Are the tea-leaves relatively fresh, brownish and shriveled, or to the point where a light touch would see them crumble completely? Are the rations rotten, full of moss and fungus, or just a little stale?
    "Alright, this space has not been visited in quite some time, but I'm not sure if we're talking days, weeks, or months here." says the dragonborn to the others with a pensive tone.
    Bedroom looks likewise clear. Our guy didn't even touch the bed, far as I can tell. Clutter abounds, though. I'm gonna rifle through… Hold on. As she notices the half-hidden notebook, Delja begins slowly and carefully advancing into the room, to very gently lift the object with her free hand off of the bed to take a better look at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    'Drucilla' stares at the sphere for another few moments, mithral hand twitching slightly. "...Yeah, I'm gonna touch it. Maybe stand back, just in case." Giving a curt nod, she reaches out with her mithril arm, she puts action to her words, attempting to interact with the sphere as she mumbles something inaudible.
    Once his assessment has been performed, Ux Utanar moves in and leafs through the notebooks, looking for a diary or an accountancy book of some sort which could provide some dates. He then comes back to the main space to observe, though from a few meters away, how 'Drucilla' is handling things.
    "If one person here is able to figure out this portal-thing, it's definitely you!"
    She doesn't so much as glance over her shoulder to check out what the "dwarf"'s doing in the meantime. Yeah, what he said. she nods noncommittally. Myriad's indeed supposed to know what she's doing. Just don't blow it up, and maybe don't die either.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2022

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Delja approaches the text without issue and picks it up. The title fully reads Silver Shot Shipping Logs: From Caz-Adar to Realmspace, 116 F. Hashkar. There is no author. It is, however, a thick and well-bound volume, and the title itself is rather finely embossed even as the cover is otherwise devoid of artistry. Quickly flipping through the tome reveals hundreds of pages of, well, exactly what was promised: deliveries, receipts, contracts, forwards, charters, and so on. It may take some time to work through it proper. The nixie does notice, however, some rather lovely hand-drawn docking charts and doodles of exotic landscapes as seen from a docking spelljammer. The author, presumably one of the officers of the eponymous spelljammer Silver Shot, was certainly a romantic.

    ────────────────────────────────

    Ux stands close but not quite over the threshold and tests the nearest shelf. There is a fairly minimal but extant layer of dust on everything, though as dry and stale as the air is there is likely not enough movement to spread sediment across the room. He checks a component pouch: this one is filled with colorful salts (whose age is indiscernible), and there is only a slight visible differential in dust under it. The stacks of parchment do not seem to be decaying and should be functional to write upon, but are likewise covered in dust. The tea is on the brittle side, older than would be served at any of the cafés around Sigil, but nothing so old that a sailor would hesitate to drink. The rations are primarily oats, honey, nuts, and dried berries. They are similarly edible, though the nuts and berries are probably at the point where a choosy sailor at port might consider replacing them.

    As Ux moves in and starts going through the notebooks, he realizes the vast majority are blank. The few that are not, are filled with disjoint lecture notes, written in the obtuse discursive style of highly technical arcana mixed with the shorthand of an academic who has no interest in their pedagogical value. While none of the notebooks are signed with the author's name, Ux gathers from the author's commentary that: (i) the author is a planeswalker; (ii) the author is a patron of the Society; and (iii) the author is a visiting scholar.

    It is no great leap to assess that the author would be the very mage they are looking for, in which case it appears from the most recent notebook that Teru last lectured about one and a half months ago.

    ────────────────────────────────

    Myriad feels the mythical weave that suffuses the magical sphere and finds within it structure and purpose. With masterful control she bends it to her will and successfully—and she knows she is successful as certainly as she knows she is standing the right way up—accesses the sphere for what it truly is, a gate to someplace else.

    With a flash she is pulled within the sphere. (On the map, go to the tab Inside the Sphere.)

    As soon as Myriad reorients herself she sees she is standing in a gorgeous, botanical corridor, with neither Delja nor Ux present. Beds of perennials hug the contours of the walls, which are embossed with motifs reminiscent of the hyperbolic tessellations the djinn put on all their constructed and woven art. The ceiling is a gorgeous, rafted bronze hemisphere and the floor aesthetically irregular marble tiles.

    It is quiet. There are doors in each cardinal direction, fortunately marked with Draconic plaques. The north is marked Control and Operations, the east Living Quarters, the south Ritual Theater, and the west Recreation and Library.

    There is a very slight trail of gory viscera leading between the south and east doors, which (as with all the doors in this hall) are shut. Some of the gore seems to be caked onto the handles of the south and east doors.

    Even disregarding the... problematic... gore, there is something very strange about this place, and Myriad can feel it in her bones. It is as if the Blackheart himself was whispering to her, that this is a place the gods do not see.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Geeksthenewsexy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Having successfully passed through the spherical gate into elsewhere, Mryiad gives a small fist pump and cheers to herself with a silently-mouthed "yay." Quickly glancing around, she focuses on the gore and mentally chastises herself. Not yay. I yayed entirely too soon. With a quick flick of her wrist, her previously hidden dagger appears in her hand, held in a reverse parrying grip. Glancing around, she immediately attempts to locate a possible escape route, preferably back where she came from, should she need it. Eyes shining with more than one type of magic, she scans her surroundings carefully.

    Focusing her senses on seeing and listening, her breathing slows and quiets automatically from years of training. Even as her senses tune to her environment, a part of her mind works through the complex processes of the gate's mechanics that she hijacked, assessing the results beyond the immediate 'being elsewhere now' effect.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/222, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Traps: (1d20+37)[41]


    See the Unseen + Detect Magic + Search (for the exit, if present) (1d20+31)[49].
    Move Silently (1d20+33)[36]
    Knowledge - The Planes (for general information about the method of planar transport and its unique processes & results beyond the obvious physical effect of transport) (1d20+9)[21]

    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    remetagross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    The dragonborn exits the room but does not close the door behind him. He turns to his companions to explain his findings.
    "Alright, it seems master Teru has been missing for a few days, maybe a few weeks, but no more than a couple months. It is odd that no one so far has been preoccupied by finding him sooner. Maybe the Society is used to having him disappear at times? Anyway, that room is mostly clear, though your eyes might pick up someth-"


    And then goes Myriad. That being a habit of hers, the knight is not overly concerned at first sight. Still, Ux Utanar approaches the swirling device cautiously, his hand on the hilt of his sword. When a few steps away, he tries out with a clear voice:
    "Myriad, are you there? Can you hear us somehow?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

    And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    With a noncommittal shrug, Delja stows the book away and heads over to the various personal effects piled up in the alcove to the left of the door; making sense of it will have to wait until their resident expert isn't busy doing, well, whatever she's doing with that sphere. Unseen to the knight, she nods along to his report on the storeroom. That would be weird. she comments as Ux falls silent. The goat downstairs said one week. Didn't sound like she's lying either, so… Ux?

    She didn't think much of the dragonborn biting off the end of that last sentence, but the cautious footfalls she thinks she's hearing give her some pause. And then, he speaks up. With a heavy sigh, Delja rolls her eyes. She's doing it again, isn't she? she asks in exasperation, but without a hint of worry in her voice, continuing her search unabated.

    Spoiler: Rolls.
    Show

    Spot: (1d20+26)[39];
    Search: (1d20+7)[8];
    Listen: (1d20+24)[28] for clues.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2022

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Magic suffuses Myriad's senses and she feels the outline—where she stands—of a circle brimming with strong conjuration energy. She recognizes the tinge of a portal: it is inactive, but she can use it, she is certain.

    Standing still as a mouse, Myriad assesses her recent transportation.

    She is on a demiplane. Countless years of silver key experience has instilled her with the understanding of the subtle differences in travel between different kinds of worlds. There is something strange about this place, like it is cut off from reality in a fundamental way. Sigil itself is cut off from the rest of the multiverse, existing in its own pocket cosmology with its own astral river, shadow realm, and ethereal parallel, but this place seems to be removed in a more fundamental way. She is no cleric but she has a suspicion they would have difficulty praying for spells here, so oppressive is the feeling of isolation.

    ────────────────────────────────

    Ux calls out to the sphere but his lost companion cannot hear. Delja searches the room in the meantime, though it is hard to make heads or tails of the absolute mess covering the floor, especially with so much of it shifting in the wind. Thick reference tomes, light monographs, and pages of scribbles make a dense, dynamic mosaic.

    Strong winds continue to circulate; the rush of air fills the senses. The doors, though thick and heavy, slowly budge aimlessly. Airborne papers catch onto Ux and Delja's clothing and armor.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Geeksthenewsexy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Nodding to herself in satisfaction that the air was breathable, the portal was two-way, and there were at least no traps being set off on the spot she landed, she carefully begins creeping about this small space, making a circuit, now turning her magical eyes towards signs of traps and checking the exits from the room to ascertain their locked or trapped statuses before returning to report to the others. They might want her to bring them through, so she sets about securing the immediate surroundings and making sure it would be safe to do so.

    Careful not to giver herself away via sound, she efficiently scans for tell-tale auras of magical traps while quickly performing a circuit of the room, sweeping for mechanical traps before also checking the exits, dagger in one hand at the ready for trouble, and her Warder's Keys in the other ready for trap hunting.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/222, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Mechanical Traps: (1d20+37)[46]


    Spot: (1d20+27)[37]
    Move Silently: (1d20+33)[40]
    Search For Traps in General: (1d20+37)[48]

    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Between Myriad's usual antics and the headache-inducing mess around her, Delja is reduced to massaging the bridge of her nose in frustration with her free hand before scooping up a few loose pages of notes and scribbles and stashing them away for Myriad to sample them if and when she gets around to do so. With that, she strides back into the sphere room to stand by the knight's side, tapping the floor impatiently with the tip of her naked blade.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    remetagross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Ux Utanar absent-mindedly removes the flying papers off his face, casting a cursory glance at one of them in the off chance it contains something intelligible to him. He turns to Delja and shrugs.
    "And now what? Should we try to cross too? Wait for our scout?"

    He tries to put his hand through the sphere to see if Myriad was able to cross because of her specific abilities or if that is open to anyone.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

    And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Delja's eyes widen as the knight reaches out towards the sphere. As quick as in the days of old, her own left darts forward slamming forcefully against his wrist in an attempt to grab hold of it or, at the very least, bat it away from the (for lack of a better term) object. Are you out of your mind? she hisses. That's her thing, as getting hit in the face is yours. We wait until she gives the all clear.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2022

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Myriad sweeps the room in utter silence. The doors she determines are free of traps, and though equipped with rather intricate locks, they all appear to have been left unlocked, checked by gently testing the handles. She notes the light gore on Ritual Theater and Living Quarters door handles are caked and old. The Control and Operations door appears to have the most wear from key scratches, but the Living Quarters and Recreation and Library doors have the most smudged handprints.

    ────────────────────────────────

    Standing before the scintillating sphere, wind blowing in his face, Ux reaches out towards it. The moment Ux's hand contacts the sphere he feels a layer of something cool but comforting, like a cushion of air—as he feels around, he is certain this is the very font of all the wind—then as he extends his hands further in, he immediately feels searing heat. Ux reflexively withdraws his hands (20 fire damage, DC 35 Reflex save for half). He is certain he briefly touched upon a different layer farther in, something his intuition tells him is probably the next layer of a prismatic wall. One of the benefits of being an experienced adventurer of his caliber is having been, or knowing someone who has been, fried by one, and it is not a description one readily forgets.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    remetagross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Ux Utanar's hand was already halfway through when Delja's snapping command reached him. He doesn't need such an external warning, though: the wracking pain in his hand gives him all the intel he needs about that sphere. The Dragonborn promptly pulls his hand out of the device, and shakes it for a minute or two to cool it off. No harm done, though - Bahamut's blessing wards him off from fire. He smiles and turns to Delja, showing his hand.
    "The Platinum dragon protects his servants, however careless they might be. But just in case his attention is elsewhere next time I'm about to do something stupid, I'll remember to listen to your opinion before acting."

    That being said, Ux Utanar comes back to wait before the sphere.
    "And what now? I'll tell you, if Myriad doesn't come out of here soon to tell us what's beyond that sphere, I think our best bet is to get back to the scholar I have seen in the room just above and ask him some more info about Teru. Because I can't quite see what more we can do in here."
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

    And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Ux Utanar's hand was already halfway through when Delja's snapping command reached him. He doesn't need such an external warning, though: the wracking pain in his hand gives him all the intel he needs about that sphere. The Dragonborn promptly pulls his hand out of the device, and shakes it for a minute or two to cool it off. No harm done, though - Bahamut's blessing wards him off from fire. He smiles and turns to Delja, showing his hand.
    "The Platinum dragon protects his servants, however careless they might be. But just in case his attention is elsewhere next time I'm about to do something stupid, I'll remember to listen to your opinion before acting."
    Delja sighs. The important thing is that Ux Utanar is safe and sound and nothing exploded into her face. As you should. she grumbles. We're lucky all it wanted was to hit you in the face, you know.

    That being said, Ux Utanar comes back to wait before the sphere.
    "And what now? I'll tell you, if Myriad doesn't come out of here soon to tell us what's beyond that sphere, I think our best bet is to get back to the scholar I have seen in the room just above and ask him some more info about Teru. Because I can't quite see what more we can do in here."
    Delja purses her lips and looks up at the ceiling for a moment, as if in deep thought. Right. she says at last, turning on her heels to storm all about the suit, disappearing at last in the storage room the dragonborn surveyed. We'll do that, and we'll do that now. she assents, smoothing out a piece of parchment before her on a shelf while opening up a bottle of what she hopes is ink. It's not just the portal, you see. I've got some notes and a book. Our guy kept it in his bed. But it's way beyond me, so we need her for that too. she explains, scribbling furiously as she speaks in a crude, angular hand: DRUCE. bored went 1st door right with U. scream if need us

    Satisfied with the end product, she reemerges from the storeroom and pins it to the floor with two tomes somewhere she expects Myriad to see it, should she return. There. she says, nodding twice to herself. Let's go.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-06-27 at 04:29 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Geeksthenewsexy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Nodding to herself in satisfaction that the space was as safe as could be without going off exploring on her own in some random demiplane (as seriously awesome as that actually sounded), she eyes the space that she knows in her gut will take her back to her friends. Shrugging, she reaches into her Survival Pouch, spending one of its charges to pull out...a full-sized mule. Grinning at the absurdity of that particular function of the bag, she pats the Mule and shrugs apologetically. Grabbing its reins she leads it to the space that will return her from whence she came. Glancing nervously at the mule, she thinks to herself, Gotta figure out if its safe to bring others. Not making that mistake again. before shuddering at the memory. Better the mule, if it doesn't work.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/222, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Mechanical Traps: N\A - Already cleared the area.


    Once more into the breach! YEET!

    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-06-27 at 06:16 PM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    remetagross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Ux Utanar nods at the piece of parchment left as a message behind them.
    "That should do. Alright, let's proceed."


    He leads Delja back through the northern door and knocks again on the door on his right. Peeking his head through, he amiably asks again the mage he has previously seen.
    "Sorry to bother you again. We are unable to locate master Teru so far, and his room seems to be a magical mess. I was wondering if you could tell us more about the last time you saw him and his recent projects you might know about?"


    Ux turns back to Delja, pointing the books and notes.
    "I think we can show him this, don't you?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

    And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Slipping her sword back under the cloak, Delja dutifully follows and greets the scholar with a quick nod that is meant to be polite. The knight's subsequent suggestion, however, makes her eyebrows rise slightly. She motions to the dragonborn to lean a bit closer and blurts out a quick, whispered Might be a rival. We're after Teru's goodwill and trust, remember? maintaining a pleasantly innocent facial expression for the benefit of the mage in the meantime.

    Spoiler: Rolls.
    Show

    Sleight of Hand to conceal that weapon: (1d20+12)[25]
    Bluff: (1d20+20)[23]

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2022

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Light envelopes Myriad and in a moment she hears and feels the familiar rush of air. Papers blow about her. She sees she is back in the mage's quarters, standing before the giant scintillating sphere and surrounded by the bookshelves and fountain, reins and mule in hand—for the moment, anyways. The mule is not taking its transport well and has started to make its discontent known, braying and sharply pulling against its restrains. It is a simple Handle Animal check (DC 12) to maintain control.

    Ereshki stares at her with wide, unblinking eyes, not particularly bothered by either the changeling or her mule's sudden presence.

    ────────────────────────────────

    Ux returns to the scholar, back through the quiet corridors and into the near-empty lecture hall. The scholar was in the middle of his recitations when Ux interrupted.

    More surprised than annoyed, the scholar considers the dragonborn's question, then responds, "The first part is simple enough to answer: I last saw Master Teru precisely one hundred and eighty-two hours ago, rounding down. He stopped by to greet me as he retired to his chambers, though this happened at a lounge one floor beneath us, insofar as space has any meaning within these walls.

    "To your latter query... Master Teru as with all the eldritch masters of his distant home world seek beyond all else to identify the pillars of reality—namely, the laws of the planes, of divinity, and of metaphysics. Teru has been quite open with the fruits of his research, and we have on many occasions discussed and debated the nature of the gods who bind our reality into the tangible essence we perceive around us. I am however merely a philosopher and historian, not one of any arcane skill, so I cannot pretend to understand the technical aspects of Teru's work.

    "Of late I believe he's been preoccupied with news from home, not the sort I should inquire into—or, well, I am curious, since whatever this news was sent him into a renewed research frenzy, but as he seems to be... presently engaged... I suppose it's a moot point."
    The scholar shrugs.

    If he noticed Delja's concealed blade, he does not show it. In fact, it is not even clear he noticed the nixie herself when she arrived, so caught up is he in his own thoughts.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-07-01 at 08:06 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Geeksthenewsexy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Patting the mule to calm it, the plane-jumping maniac grins from ear to ear. "There there, Pickle. You're fine.". Pleased that the magical pseudo-animal wasn't torn to shreds and reduced to pulp, she glances around and flashes a grin at the impassive Ereshki before catching sight of the message left for her. Still patting Pickle absently, she reads it quickly, muttering, "Ugh, Delja, your handwriting is still terrible...", to herself as she reads. Grunting at the message, she pulls a ration from her Survivor Pouch, using another of its limited daily charges. Leading Pickle to a corner, she gifts the ration to the mule and gives it a few more head pats before abandoning it there in the room - after all, it would unsummon itself from whence it came in eight hours, even if she did lose track of it.

    Glancing around one last time, she nods and heads off, following the note's instructions, to find the group and report what she's discovered.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/222, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Mechanical Traps: N\A - Already cleared the area.


    Untrained Handle Animal Check (1d20+11)[28]
    Untrained Decipher Script to read Delja's terrible penmanship (1d20+8)[9]

    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

    Much as she enjoys the lack of attention she gets from the scholar, emboldened by the assurances that no, he's not likely to be of much concern, she nimbly slides forward to address the man. Hm. she intones, clearing her throat. Caz-Adar. The Silver Shot. Does that sound familiar?

    Spoiler: Roll.
    Show

    Let's Sense some Motives, just in case: (1d20+15)[33]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •