New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (IC)

Fantastic. She's hit. By this gibbering joke of a slimeheap. Again, it's not going to leave so much as a bruise on her skin, but her sad, tired mind and ego felt it all the same. F-finally. she hisses grumpily; she might not be as good as new, but at least she did make the thing stop screaming. She better make sure it will not resume it. Ever. Maintaining her stance, she lashes out four times.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Simple full attack, defensively (AC 71 T 62); no movement so no concealment:
    (1d20+26)[37] for (1d6+20)[23] magic P and (1d6)[6] precision plus (1d4)[4] force;
    (1d20+26)[39] for (1d6+20)[22] magic P and (1d6)[4] precision plus (1d4)[1] force;
    (1d20+26)[28] for (1d6+20)[22] magic P and (1d6)[5] precision plus (1d4)[1] force;
    (1d20+26)[32] for (1d6+20)[21] magic P and (1d6)[4] precision plus (1d4)[4] force.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pausing to look down at her left hand with furrowed brows, she shakes it out with a frown and steps around Ux to get line-of-sight on the next target before pointing at that one and trying another eldritch blast.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/202, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    Eldritch Blast (vs Touch AC) +20 (3d6, x2)
    Sneak Attack Denied Dex or Flanked (+8d6, -1d6 to cause Bleed)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 26, Wis 18, Cha 26
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Active Invocations & Effects Beguiling Influence, See The Unseen, Detect Magic
    Other Defenses SR 25, Mettle
    Spoiler: Automatic Search Check
    Show
    If Myriad gets within 5' of a mechanical trap, she automatically makes a Search Check. I will simply include this roll in every post so as not to slow down the game pacing. As she has 'detect magic' active at all times, this can also be used if she detects anything that looks remotely like a magical trap as well.
    Search For Traps: Already Clear

Move Action (Free Action) 5' Step from W22 to V23

Eldritch Blast (Range Touch Attack) VS Target A4 -
    1. (1d20+17)[23] for (3d6)[10] Eldritch Blast Damage (if it does not have has Spell Resistance equal to or greater than (1d20+2)[15])

"He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

"Almost there!" shouts Ux Utanar to encourage himself and his comrades. The unmoving corpse before him proves a little cumbersome to maneuver around, but the length of his weapon allows him to fight past it. He directs the attention of the last remaining aberration towards him so as to offer it a proper confrontation, all while jabbing left and right.
    "Look at me, monster! I am going to finish you off."

Show

Full-round action: full-round attack on A4, thanks to Ux Utanar's 10ft reach. Power attack of 4. Attack rolls: (1d20+23)[28], (1d20+18)[36], (1d20+13)[28], (1d20+8)[13]. Damage rolls: (1d8+16)[18], (1d8+16)[21], (1d8+16)[22], (1d8+16)[22].
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-10-12 at 12:27 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Delja. All her attacks hit, each dealing piercing, precision, and force damage.

Aberration 4 is grievously wounded. Great gashes ooze ichor across its body.

Myriad. Her eldritch blast does not hit.

Ux. Only his second attack hits, dealing piercing damage.

This appears to be just enough—Aberration 4 falls dead. Combat has concluded.

────────────────

Silence falls over the hall. The smell is indescribable, at the same time acrid and rotten. The party themselves are covered in the nauseating gore.

Somewhere to the south, muffled chains clank behind thick doors.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Ux Utanar, at first, does not speak. He enjoys the newfound silence. After a few seconds of contentment, he calmly unhorses Ereshki and starts to summarily wipe her fur clean of blood and gore with his gauntlet. The beast squeaks with pleasure. His levitating shield floats back in his back, and he sheathes his lance. The poor-eared dragonborn, his ears still ringing from the deafening cry of the dead thing, is completely oblivious to the distant clanking of chains.

"Well. That was a challenge for the ears. And I'm not speaking about your singing, Druce. Are you both alright?"

He walks a few paces around.

"I am mostly unharmed. These monsters seem to be rank-and-file minions, whereas the real deal was that teleporting arachnoid thing...Have you noticed it was starting to heal back during the fight? It'll prove a worthier challenge. How about we went back to that control room and ask for some more scrying? We could make sure in which direction it has gone."
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #216

Delja grimaces as she begins slowly clambering through the two bodies to reunite with her allies. Well, I'm reeking and scratched up a tad. she grumbles. How did that even happen? And not in a way that I like much. she adds, just as grumpily. You, Ux? What's a mostly these days?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-13 at 03:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

The dragonborn grimaces in answers as he pats himself in the knee where he was hit by the aberrant tentacles.
    "Some of these attacks were life-draining. You don't happen to be able to heal that kind of damage, do you? Apart from that, I've got some very minor scratches here and there."
    Ereshki screeches indignantly.

"Ah, yes, sorry old friend" chuckles the knight.
    "That one did suffer more than us. Can you tend to her wounds, too?"

8. - Top - End - #218

In more than one way, actually. Delja's head nods as it emerges from the mouth of the corridor. Once she's done extracting herself, she drops to the floor, cross-legged and shrugs her backpack off her shoulders, placing the shining coin beside herself on the ground. Come over here, you big lizard. she says pulling a short, thick rod and then two sturdy belts out of the bag, poking the knight with the former the moment he gets close enough, tossing it back into the sack afterwards to activate one of the belts on herself. I'm not sure I have enough juice to fix up your buddy, on the other hand. she admits in the meantime, looking around to locate their changeling. Druce?

Show

Ux Utanar regains his lost Constitution!
    Delja selfishly heals for (2d8)[15] points!

9. - Top - End - #219

Peering at her companions as they seem to be talking to each other, she gives a start of surprise when they look at her expectantly.

"....WHAT?"

Cleaning her blade on a clean patch of her pants before slipping her dagger into her belt, Myriad tilts her head and starts popping herself in the temple until a glob of...something splurts out of her ear cánal. Eyeing the awful warily, she does the same to the other ear and shudders as she swallows hard before murmuring "I...need a hot bath. Think we all do. With soap. ALL the soap." Shrugging in a 'what can you do' sort of 'oh well' gesture, she does some light stretching and calls out, "I'm good when you guys are."

Show
    Myriad
    Female C/G Changeling Rogue 3 / Silver Key 10 / Invisible Blade 5 / Warlock 2, Level 20, Init 8, HP 222/202, Speed 30' Land
    AC 34, Touch 24, Flat-footed 28, Fort 22, Ref 24, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6
    +4 Steel Deadly Precision Vampiric Dagger of Parrying +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d4+10 (+1d6 vs Living), 18-20/x2)
    +5 Easy Travel Glamered Mithril Breastplate of Nimbleness (+10 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 Misc)
    Condition Awake, Alert, Unencumbered, Healthy, Disguised (Dwarven Locksmith/Explorer named Drucilla Kundarak)
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-10-16 at 12:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

"This will do, thank you", says Ux Utanar as he feels reinvigorated. He then turns to Myriad and chuckles.

"Hey, Druce, look at that place. A wizard did it. Hells if he hasn't incorporated a bathroom somewhere. We'll ask the magical butler about that, too. Shall we proceed? Ah, Ereshki, you'd better come with us, if you can manage. You are too wounded to be left alone guarding". He gently pats her on her snout.

Show
    If everyone is ready to go, Ux suggest we all moved back to the control room, with Ereshki squeezing at half speed to progress in the air (this is an automatic Handle Animal success skill check for the "Come" trick).

11. - Top - End - #221

Well, that was gross. Delja remarks in perfect deadpan as… Whatever that thing's supposed to be evacuates Myriad's ears. She tosses one of the belts back into her bag and rises, stepping closer to Ereshki and unloading the remaining charges from the one she's just used onto the bat, before putting the now inert item away and shouldering the sack again. I'll have our rear. Let's roll.

Show

Ereshki heals for (4d8)[22] points (we aren't in initiative, so D. used the two charges separately).

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

The bat screeches with pleasure as some of her wounds knit back - a deep gash on her left wing and a broken hind leg.
    "She says it's appreciated", comments the dragonborn with a smirk.

Once they proceed to the control room, Ux Utanar asks aloud.
    "Erm...magical servant? Spectral controller? Ectoplasmic butler? Whatever your title, could you appear again and tell us the current whereabouts of the three previous creatures you've displayed to us? And a bathroom, too."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Even with the defeated aberrations, the summoned mule whimpers and sidles to the other corner of the hall (moving from X28 to U28)—hardly an improvement from its original position. It continues to cower before the foul, hulking, if lifeless, bodies. Sickly gray joins thick red and orange viscera. The place looks as horrid as it smells.

The party moves back into the clean, lit western passage, a minor reprieve from the filth of the main hall. Ereshki squeezes in after the party, a comical ball of fluff with two eyes peeking out, taking up most of the space. It is pulling itself forward as much as it is shuffling, claws finding grooves in the paneled walls for leverage, making soft taps and creaks as it goes, adding to the sounds of the party's footsteps.

────────────────

The party arrives at J32 and the dragonborn calls out. The lights of the wall sconces flicker, casting shadows across the seats and panels. In a moment, the apparition materializes at N35, spectral livery billowing in nonexistent wind, and responds in Draconic: "The remaining lower planes denizens are in the southwesternmost chamber. I count two living, five deceased within said chamber." It pauses. "I am also sorry to inform our guests that all nonessential functions aboard the Five Pebbles were deactivated prior to anchoring. This includes our lavatories. Related log: 'Overdue maintenance, docking prep.' Responsible crew: Navigator Teru. Time of log: six hundred and twenty-two hours ago." The log is recited in Common, with a peculiar dialect probably not native to Faerűn.

Another pause. "There is a logged response: 'WHY IS THIS SHIP SUCH A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN, LITERALLY NOTHING WORKS.' Recorded by: Engineer Sunsdóttir. Time of log: five hundred and ninety-one hours ago." As before, the log is recited—or rather, screamed—in Common.

And then another pause. "This one also has a logged response: 'Look, we're heading into Dymos. The Pebbles will take damage. Rather refit and fix this thing all in one go. We'll delay until after we return.' Recorded by: Navigator Teru. Time of log: five hundred and ninety hours ago."
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-10-19 at 01:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Ignoring the bathroom bits of the conversation, Delja nods along thoughtfully, leaning against a conveniently located couch and smearing dead aberration sludge all over it. Dymos. she repeats aloud, slowly and loudly, mostly for Myriad's benefit. Thank you, Pilot. she says then, off-handedly, but in a fairly pleasant tone. Ectoplasmic Butler? Really? Ux Utanar's manners really need some polishing, weird as it may be for her of all people to pick up on that. Two quick questions. she goes on, in the same troglodytic Draconic as before. One; where's the Pebbles right now, again? Two; are the five dead dead-dead or the… she makes a number of swift gestures with her coin hand as she look for the right word. …more mobile sort?

15. - Top - End - #225

Considering thoughtfully, Myriad follows-up with a question of her own. "Also, Pilot, is there any contingency for like...cleaning of organic hazards?" Gesturing at herself and her companions' gore-covered bodies, she continues, "...or a way to rig existing services up to function again? I'll be honest, I'm sneaky as the nine hells, but that won't help us help you if the creepy invaders can smell us coming."

Turning to her companions, she muses as an afterthought, "I'm thinking I need to invest in like... a whole bundle of eternal wands of prestidigitation or something just to clean up on missions like this. I'm sticky in places that should not be sticky. Um....while in public or polite company, at least." She frowns and picks at her gore-soaked pants uncomfortably.

Show
    Myriad

16. - Top - End - #226

Delja narrows her eyes in a display of pure, undiluted pain and begins massaging the bridge of her nose with all her available fingers. Druce, I… Really didn't need to know that.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

To Delja, Pilot responds: "The Pebbles currently has no material location; it is contained within its own generated demiplane, which is anchored to a point within the planar metropolis of Sigil." It pauses as it considers the nixie's second question. "The full mobility status of the deceased within the aft compartment is not on record. I assess that they have not moved within the past hour, however."

To Myriad, Pilot responds: "Answer to query unknown. Related log: 'What about decontamination?' Recorded by: Marine Diligence. Time of log: five hundred and fifty-eight hours ago.

"Log: 'This is going to be a scry-and-die at a mile. No exposure risk. But if for some reason you've got something on you, just go on and stroll through the hall wards. It'll clean you right up.' Recorded by: Pathfinder Nokor. Time of log: five hundred and fifty-eight hours ago.

"Log: 'Normally I wouldn't feel the need to say this, but Dili being Dili I stress to all crew: the hall wards will rip you apart. Well maybe Dili will survive but the rest of you won't, and I assure Dili it will still hurt like the Nine Hells. Just shower and use one of the cleric scrolls if you've caught a bug.' Recorded by: Engineer Sunsdóttir. Time of log: five hundred and fifty-seven hours ago.

"Log: 'Right, well I'm off to plant the marker. By this time tomorrow we should be back with that damned book. Don't worry about decontamination, if we're close enough to get exposed to anything we're already dead. Without our navigator you—we—stand no chance against the abominations in close combat. Ugh, not looking forward to this jump. Dymos used to be so beautiful.' Recorded by: Pathfinder Nokor. Time of log: two hundred and sixteen hours ago."

Pilot falls silent.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-10-20 at 09:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Ux Utanar sits on a couch that faces the hallway they just came from.
    "Umm...would there be any of these cleric scrolls around here, Pilot?" he asks aloud.

"Also, do you gals have a clue of what that Dymos place might be? I gather it's a plane of some sort. Pilot, can you tell us more about that place?"

19. - Top - End - #229

That'll have to do. Delja nods thankfully in Pilot's general direction. And yes, let's set our priorities straight. We figure out the death world issue, kill those damn things and then you can clean up all you want. The nixie grimaces before adding Unless we can do that quick and… dirty? Not quite. …quick. Either way, I don't want to hear any more about it, Druce.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-21 at 12:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Myriad searches her memory for knowledge of any plane called Dymos. There is nothing.

To Ux, Pilot, in an oddly snide tone, responds "I am not equipped with inventory management abilities. I cannot comment on the presence or absence of scrolls, clerical or otherwise.

"Dymos is a natural demiplane. It is registered as a planar trade city. I however have no recent records of trade on Dymos. There are: three hundred and twenty-one logs relating to 'Dymos'. Analyzing logs for importance...

"Log: 'Our navigator is back, from Arcem. He has bad news. Another world's gone, this one called Dymos. Never heard of it.' Recorded by: Engineer Sunsdóttir. Time of log: eight hundred and twelve hours ago.

"Log: 'Lovely world in miniature run by mercanes. There's a planar trade port there, been many times back when I ran with my old crew. Is it really gone?' Recorded by: Pathfinder Nokor. Time of log: eight hundred and twelve hours ago.

"Log: 'It's really gone. Teru's headed there to find out why. In the meantime he sent me to inform you all to prepare for another jump. We got a week, maybe two. Says this one's going to be hot so don't skimp.' Recorded by: Quartermaster Tsana. Time of log: eight hundred and eleven hours ago.

"Log: 'The navigator stopped by to mention that we're aiming to snatch and grab an artifact—one of the books of vile darkness—that supposedly blew up Dymos. This isn't our first run involving one of the books so you all know what to do. Except you, Fist, you need to learn the procedure from Burtrann.' Recorded by: Engineer Sunsdóttir. Time of log: seven hundred and sixty-six hours ago."

Pilot falls silent.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-10-22 at 01:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Ominous. Delja quips without any apparent conviction. Anything we need to know about the capabilities of the late crew effortlessly slaughtered while trying to do what we are trying to do here, Pilot? she muses in the same deadpan tone, only shifting ever so slightly closer to the apparition, covering some more of the couch in aberrant slugslime.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

To Delja, Pilot answers, "The de facto commander would be Engineer Sunsdóttir, formerly a cleric of Gearsmith Arnaglaerus, and her lieutenant is Quartermaster Tsana, formerly an artificer of the Union Gleaners. Pathfinder Nokor leads the ground branch, formerly commando of the abd Multahib. Marine Diligence, background unknown. Marine Burtrann, formerly a Cipher of the Transcendent Order. Marine Fist, background unknown. The owner and shipwright of the Five Pebbles is Navigator Teru—and the binder of yours truly." The apparition bows.

It continues. "At the time of quarantine breach, Navigator Teru was immediately subject to trap the soul and wish by the foreign artifact. The intruders broke out and slew most of the rest of the crew without resistance, for they were in various states of unarmed and asleep. Marine Diligence was on watch and managed to down three of the intruders before falling herself."

Pilot falls silent.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-10-23 at 02:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Drucilla snorts softly. "What a waste. If I has Wishes, I'd wish for infinite booze." glancing down at her clothes, she amends her statement, "And forever clean clothes." She pauses thoughtfully, and amends her statement again, "And the ability to do that really loud whistle thing where you hold two fingers in your mouth in some weird way. Never been able to do that. Man, that would be awsome!"

Turning to Pilot, she muses, "Hey Pilot, before we go kill more creepified intruders, are there any traps, wards, glyphs, or any other hazards that you are aware of tht we need to worry about? Would save time if we can move at a decent pace without me needing to check every doorway and hallway, since this seems to be sorta time-sensative."

Show
    Myriad
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-10-23 at 05:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

"None internal to the Pebbles," says the apparition. "The hall wards are inactive. They appear to have been destroyed by physical force."

25. - Top - End - #235

Delja shakes her head with silent exasperation. Booze is the last thing you need, Druce, and if I'll still have fingers, I might be able to help with the whistle thing – once the job's done and wrapped with a tidy ribbon. She seems to concentrate for a moment and as she does so, the metal of her blade begins to change its colour and consistency, turning a sturdy, rugged dull grey. We'll be back with updates, Pilot. she nods towards the figure, already shifting towards the exit and flashing a quick glance each at her companions. You two ready?

Show

Before I forget about it again, Delja activates the metalline property; her sword is now cold iron. She's going to likewise spend a standard on turning her cloak into wings once the hall's reached.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, I've tried that a lot as a signal while rearing Ereshki" says Ux Utanar while mimicking a two-finger whistle.
    "However, it turns out you often have both hands grabbing a weapon when you need to signal something. So instead I whistle high-pitched, like so:"
    The dragonborn knots his long, forked tongue in a complicated way to block off most of the space between his teeth, and produces a modulated sound. Ereshki produces a matching sound.
    "I can teach you, Delja, if you use one of your wishes to enlarge your... tongue."

Realizing it came out a bit weirder than expected, Ux Utanar swiftly moves on.
    "Anyway, let's deal with those crew-slaying artifact-summoned things."
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-10-27 at 11:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Staring at Ux with saucer-wide eyes, Drucilla sticks her tongue out and looks down at it corss-eyed very skeptically. "...ah mah eed da ot me ah 'warf da 'earn 'at..." she mumbles with her tongue still sticking out. Shaking her head in wonder, she retracts her stubby tongue back into her head and nods dazedly at Delja. "Huhu? Oh...uh....yeah. Sure thing. Totally," she murmurs, completely unconvincingly. Nevertheless, she draws her dagger and follows.

Show
    Myriad

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

The party returns to hall V25. The trip is uneventful, aside from the scratching of Ereshki's claws against the wood-paneled walls as it struggles to squeeze back out into the main hall.

The bodies of the fallen aberrations loom, their stench unbelievable. If it is any consolation, there is no chance that anyone could scent the party in this mess.

29. - Top - End - #239

So? Delja whispers before muttering some short, obscure phrase. Do we just barge in? Her cloak bulges and billows before rising up on both sides, getting tougher, thicker, more leathery until it's not much different from Ereshki's wings, albeit smaller and darker in colour and hue. The nixie stretches and then folds her new wings with lazy nonchalance, the rest of her body already shifting into its usual stance of balance and stability as she waits for an answer, be that words or the sound of a double door being pushed open.

Show

Okay, Wings of Flying are active; Delja now has a fly speed of 60' (good).

30. - Top - End - #240

Reaching out and attempting to comfort Magical Mule #2, the party's changeling shrugs. "I mean...we could open the doors and make a big racket and try to funnel them through the door. We could set up on either side and have Ux stand in front when we open for a three-way flank killbox. Tear down each target one at a time together as it comes through instead of trying to run in and go after separate targets...? But that only works if they actually come and don't attack from ranged." she murmurs softly, using her dagger to gesticulate as she does so. She ends with a shrug, seemingly out of ideas-

Show
    Myriad

Handle Animal to attempt to placate/reassure Magical Mule #2 and send it away from the door somewhere out of the way: (1d20+11)[16]
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-10-26 at 07:17 AM.