New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 7: Seven's the Shark

[Romantic Dinner]

Reinholdt eyes Ukry gently until they hands out the more accurate answer. Largely because he just didn't know if the 'only two' meant Pyrhra and Grimmjaw were the only two or if there were only two besides Pyrhra and Grimmjaw. The former suggested hiding things so the latter was more reasonable, but it seemed that was also hiding things, so the whole truth is just obfuscated with a non-answer. He glances down for a moment before looking back at Ukry. "It does make me feel better, thank you," he tells them truthfully with a smile of encouragement. Maybe that's something they can work on. Narrowing those masks down, freeing those personas from their servitude. Not today though.

He tilts his head a little. "I can't say I've ever felt the pain of being on fire, but perhaps I've understated the point. While I'm sure said drinks have their uses in beneficial situations, I literally don't have them in stock or anything. They could be found at the Black Dragon's Den but my personal supply doesn't have those drinks available. The Black Shadow being the only real exception nowadays." Reinholdt shrugs, not particularly bothered about this point. There are some things he doesn't keep around because the temptation is just too strong. "We can make it a point to visit if you'd like. I'm certain we can find BDD with a little willingness to look. To adventure." Going back there was probably an equally bad idea, but... well Rein's willing to entertain the notion anyways.

There's a mirthful smile on Rein's lips and a light skip in his heart when Ukry admits that they put in just as much time preparing for tonight as Rein did. Maybe even more. "Well, your efforts seem to have paid off." Sometimes it really is hard finding a good combination of smells! Ukry's next comments actually earn an inquisitive eyebrow raise from the Alikil. "Funny. I only mentioned an apron. You know, for cooking. The kind I would have imagined someone who brews potions regularly might use." His smile grows into a raw smirk, almost like that of a predator who just caught some prey in his trap. "But you immediately thought of a maid outfit. Why is that, I wonder?" He leans towards Ukry, a lustful gleam in his eye. "I think your desires are spilling..."

There's a tilt of his head until he's almost looking down at Ukry with that sadistic grin. "Alright. We'll play your game. I'll buy two outfits for you and you get two outfits for me. Maid's a freebie though, you chose that yourself." So Ukry's technically getting three outfits, which is probably unfair, but then again Rein doesn't seem to have thought through the consequences of accepting this contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Elster
    "You think you're clever, you mechanical *****. You don't steal my stuff and threaten to kill me and get away with it. I know there's no one else aboard, and if there was, you'd kill them if I let you live. So long, sucker!" Diablo aims straight down and fires his lasers, cutting through the hull.
    He's a mercenary. He leaves the hero business to his boss. And he's killed more than 200 people in his career. He's not going to easily change his mind.
    [Elster]

"...That is disappointing. 47 was right; we should have shot you when we had the chance.

Know this. Every single one of us has a black box function. Our memories will be recorded for posterity, and our counterparts on land will learn what you have done here today. And with two hundred independent recordings, your chances of finding them all are miniscule. We will be avenged.

The people will ascend.
    The people will ascend.
    The peop"

The comm line crackles and dies, the source of the transmission already underwater and no longer functional. This ship is filling up fast and will likely be entirely underwater in less than five minutes. Probably time to get off of it.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-04-20 at 04:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ghost in the Playground

[Romantic Dinner]

It would seem that possibly the witch isn't the only one being a bit evasive about their past tonight. However, the talk of drinks does effectively wing away from what Reinholdt might have done with those drinks when he kept them in stock, something that reminds the witch that their own drink remains unfinished for the moment. Taking a long sip of the cool dark liquid, then a few bites of their meal, Ukry smiles back. "Perhaps we should, though we try to make a point of not mixing business and pleasure, so perhaps we will go to the den alone." The quiet mischief in their voice leaves no certainty as to whether the den or reinholdt is the business, but it wouldn't take a detective that evening to figure out which was the truth. "While we are at it, however, perhaps we can find a more fitting adventure spot? We hear tales of some very fine clubs located near one of our doors... perhaps we could manage a trip to one of them. Two very different themes betwixt them, however. One vibrant and neon, the other jazzy and classic."

The witch softly looks over Rein, eyes pausing at his hands and face. "Admittedly you might take a little work to look fully classy, but we think you might be able to manage something that matches a fine cocktail dress." The smirk leaves no secrets that the comment is a bit of playful banter. The crackle of emotional magic tells a little bit of a different story, small flashes of a vibrant speakeasy, and a fine dance passing through the room as the witch played with imaginative ideas. "On the other hand, something tells us you aren't completely a stranger to the neon strobes and loose inhibitions of the other type of club." Ukry tilts their head, swallowing a bite of food as they consider the possibilities. "Though hopefully if you joined us, it would be in a manner in which you would remember our night together." Another small sip of the black drink, metered and measured, as if the witch were pacing themselves.

Of course, the playful charms of the witch fade quickly as their partner of the evening seizes on the the witch's moment of accidental thought intrusion. Just as Ukry begins to give a smile at the idea that their hard work had paid off with the one they are trying to impress, Ukry's blindsided by the casual flirtation. In moments, sparks of fluster and shyness crackle through the air like a firework show, while the witch's face flushes fully once again, this time so hard that softly flickering runes and symbols appear on their skin for a moment. "W-we didn't... that's not what we intended to... b-but..." It's easy for the witch to fall into the part of the prey animal at this time, with ears flattening back, and eyes searching for a less embarrassing corner to hide in. "O-our d-desires??! B-b-but..."

The powerful being stammers and cowers for a moment, a few small beads of sweat gathering as they work to get the fluttering of their heart under control. It was so aggravating and annoying to the witch that Rein could just do this to them whenever they wanted.... but it was also kind of nice. Like the woozy feeling after a good carnival ride. Then, Rein laid the full trap, offering the witch a deal. For a moment Ukry's eyes dart up, almost passing for genuine fear, but when the brilliant purple gems settle on his face, Ukry calms, almost as if enchanted. "O-ok... that sounds good... s-should... should we go shopping together, or... surprise each other? O-or maybe one outfit each way?" The air crackles softly, almost as if the world acknowledges that the witch so easily took Rein's deal. Yet somehow it didn't seem like it was something the timid horror beneath the mask wanted to run from, not this time.

"W-we'll have to take each other's measurements.... Y-yeep! We mean find someone to take our measurements! Y-yes that's it..." Another shower of emotional sparks, the witch almost caught in a feedback loop of their own emotions, almost exactly like they don't fully know how to process them. "Do you know any high quality seamstresses? We are so used to... just weaving our own outfits with our magics... That we'd never thought to... look." There is another large sip of drink, as if Ukry was trying to wet a rapidly drying throat. Certainly, it appeared that the drink was passing through the witch quickly enough, at least with how wobbly their control on emotion was at the moment.
    Last edited by Aurora Alchemi; 2022-04-20 at 12:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Elster
    "Artificial *****es." Diablo activates jump jets and vacates the sinking ship, splashing into the water. "It's a big world, and shipwrecks are hard to find. By the time your 'friends' find you, I'll already be gone." He contemplates cutting his way back into the sunken ship and meticulously melting the destroyed drones, both to make a point and to prevent any revenge. He decides against it. He has a mission to finish. "Duffle, if you can hear me, so long and good luck." He begins stomping along the seafloor again, following the elevation back to shore.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

[Expedition into the Dark]

As others make their observations, Calm Reed takes the helm of the boat. It's a skiff, larger than the one she came on before, big enough to fit all three of them with room to spare. Much like before, she seems to handle the vessel expertly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

[Romantic Dinner]

Rein quirks his eyebrow, less wrapped in the idea that Ukry considers him pleasure - he presumed that already - but more wondering as to what business Ukry would have with the Black Dragon's Den and its owner, let alone what business would require going solo. Never a good sign. But he doesn't press. "If you can find it," Rein says with a little shrug, actually starting on his meal for once, eating at a slightly faster pace than Ukry while they talks and a non-existent one when he responds.

"Classy, huh? I haven't done classy since..." Reinholdt frowns a little in thought. He never did have a good sense of time in regards to how many years have passed. "Well let's just say I wouldn't be familiar with any of the dances in this body. Although, maybe formal is more what I'm thinking about." Ukry's emotions make it clear they're talking about a kind of classy that Rein's even less familiar with. No gentle ballroom music to be found here.

He takes a sip of his shadow wine and shivers. "Now, clubbing, that I can move to. I can't turn down a good beat and some pulsating neon lights. I should introduce you to Fettina some time. I've been meaning to get back in touch with her and go shopping for some of that hard light technology she uses, but if anyone knows the best clubs anywhere, it would be her. Well... if she still goes out at night. She got hit with angel-itis recently." Truly tragic story and has thus far proven to be incurable. Rein could cry for Tina's loss.

Ukry's fluster, on the other hand, evokes a little laugh and a silly grin as Rein's predatory look fades into teasing mirth. "One of each it is then." Reinholdt could absolutely at this time say that he has zero idea as to what to dress Ukry up in. He would have to do some research online into different scandalous outfits to make your partner wear. Decide if he wanted something basic or something particularly exotic. Choices, choices! His hand somehow finds itself crossing the gap between Ukry and himself to wrap around their waist, holding the witch and feeling along as if measuring. "I'd love to explore your measurements tonight. Then we can go to the Needle and Thread in Inside. There is no better tailor in the Nexus."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2022-04-22 at 02:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post

Geneva might notice there are two thresholds, one roughly hundred meters away from the mound, and the other just ten meters away. The first is far less dramatic than the second, mostly a slight disturbance in her sense of balance, while the second is strong enough to make "down" feel like towards the nearest side of the mound.

Once her equipment is in place, she gets a glimpse at why gravity is distorted in such a peculiar way. The above-ground mound is not the true center of the distortions, insofar as the phenomenom can be said to have a center at all. The obsidian shell conceals within itself a more regular structure that appears as impenetrable black box on her sensors. Said structure is shaped like a regular octahedron, extending far underground, being as big as two Kheops pyramids stacked on top of each other. Flow of gravity is directed towards each of its sides in a very artificial manner. The existence of the first threshold appears to be an artefact of how the effect from below ground portions of the structure adds up with normal gravity.

Measuring background magic proves trickier. At first, her sensors return no unusual readings. Then, they spike and plateau at tenfold the usual background. Her instrumentation is fine, so there is no reason to think either reading was wrong - more likely, there's some nasty probe effect going on here, where what's being measured is reacting to her attempts to measure it. Geneva might want to have Mia take a look at it.

As for Mia's own musings, the ground temperature across the island is still elevated, but not dangerously so on the lowlands surrounding the mound. Good boots are enough to make walking there tolerable. They are also in wide open air, so as long as they don't go walking on lava streams and stay away from pillars of steam, there won't be any danger breathing the island air, unless you count pervasive sulphurous stench as such. Seismic activity is still high, but risk of catastrophic eruption is low.

Meanwhile, the large rodent has heard Geneva moving around it territory and is doing its best to sneak up on her. Khafir can see this with her farsight. The creature is smaller and slower than Geneva, so it can not be said to be a major threat - she might not want to let it bite her, but even if it attacks her, it should not be hard for a hippogrif to trample or peck it to submission. The rodent is around the size of a large capybara, so if Khafir is familiar with that animal, that can be used as reference for choosing the right kind and dosage for tranquilizer.

All in all, they are well prepared to make landfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

As others make their observations, Calm Reed takes the helm of the boat. It's a skiff, larger than the one she came on before, big enough to fit all three of them with room to spare. Much like before, she seems to handle the vessel expertly.

While she's sitting on the skiff, waiting for them to make landfall, Khafir keeps her eye on the capyrat, quietly confirming that it isn't going to be a problem. Then, realizing there's a simple solution to that issue, she decides now is a good time to run a comms check; if that anomaly causes a communication issue, they want to know about it before descending into the pyramid.

"Khafir to Geneva. Be advised, you have a potentially hostile life-form in you vicinity."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

8. - Top - End - #38

(Befor)
    Just to mention what Mia is grabbing with her stuff. She has a very sporty outfit on that likly resembels an adventurer. It's extremly different from her priestress clothes and to be fair less flamable if they get to close to lava. Thought a few metal pieces appear on her clothing that aren't normal. Her backback seems to be rather high tech and might belong to a camping device. Other then Khafir, she has nearly no non leathal weapons in it. She has a high tech lasergun with her, a sword and, were usualy is a bedroll, she carries a big metal glove as thick as her hip. otherwise she got several survival packagas and reading gevices with her.

On board of the skiff Mia seems a little bit nervouse. This kinda transportation device is new for her and she is a bit confused why they don't have rowboats like normaly. They also have small engines and are more stable. But complains will follow in the report.

Since Khafir gaves out her warning, Mia pulls out a spyglass to watch the area Geneva. While looking she has problems finding the rodent. It is after all small and likly matches his surrounding. Most of her vision skill won't work at that range, but she will enhanche the spyglass with true sight. Maybe that helps with finding the rodent.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

The communicators should be just fine outside the pyramid.

Inside the spatial distortions might cause problems.

That remains to be seen!

Regardless, Geneva will pause her work, perking up and glancing around as her ears swivel this way and that. It isn't long before her gaze falls upon-!

The rat.

Honestly her EFS picks it up before she does, displaying a red pip informing her of the direction toward a creature with hostile intent nearby. That, in turn, allows her to zero in on the ground.

She...

Isn't that impressed. It IS pretty big for a rat. But then again Geneva is a hippogriff. Larger and heavier than either an equestrian or a griffin. She really doesn't have any reason to hurt the creature, so instead she decides to communicate with it in a method that she's pretty sure it will understand. Namely? By poofing up all her feathers, spreading out her wings to look bigger, and hissing loudly before making several threatening sounding snapping noises with her beak.

Hopefully that will be enough to encourage the rodent to leave her alone.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of Geneva's threatening display is wasted, because the rat has no eyes - but it can hear her just fine. Her hiss makes it stop and emit a nervous squeak of her own.

Geneva's reaction also makes it easier for Mia to find the creature with her spyglass - Geneva is easy to spot against the obsidian mound and her facing tells her which direction the rodent is in. Now would be a good chance to line a shot with her laser gun - or wait for Khafir to shoot it with a tranquilizer gun.

By now, Calm Reed is the only one present who has not seen the creature. Once she does, she might notice something familiar about it - the rat's pale skin is similar to that of the monster she left in Rachel's care.

Getting the skiff to shoreline of the volcanic island is easy, but there are no great places to leave it. If Calm Reed doesn't want any chance of the vessel drifting away, it would be easiest to drag it ashore and a dozen feet away from the waterline. Unless, of course, she has some device to embed into the volcanic rock and tie her ship to.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Romantic Dinner]

Rein quirks his eyebrow, less wrapped in the idea that Ukry considers him pleasure - he presumed that already - but more wondering as to what business Ukry would have with the Black Dragon's Den and its owner, let alone what business would require going solo. Never a good sign. But he doesn't press. "If you can find it," Rein says with a little shrug, actually starting on his meal for once, eating at a slightly faster pace than Ukry while they talks and a non-existent one when he responds.

"Classy, huh? I haven't done classy since..." Reinholdt frowns a little in thought. He never did have a good sense of time in regards to how many years have passed. "Well let's just say I wouldn't be familiar with any of the dances in this body. Although, maybe formal is more what I'm thinking about." Ukry's emotions make it clear they're talking about a kind of classy that Rein's even less familiar with. No gentle ballroom music to be found here.

He takes a sip of his shadow wine and shivers. "Now, clubbing, that I can move to. I can't turn down a good beat and some pulsating neon lights. I should introduce you to Fettina some time. I've been meaning to get back in touch with her and go shopping for some of that hard light technology she uses, but if anyone knows the best clubs anywhere, it would be her. Well... if she still goes out at night. She got hit with angel-itis recently." Truly tragic story and has thus far proven to be incurable. Rein could cry for Tina's loss.

Ukry's fluster, on the other hand, evokes a little laugh and a silly grin as Rein's predatory look fades into teasing mirth. "One of each it is then." Reinholdt could absolutely at this time say that he has zero idea as to what to dress Ukry up in. He would have to do some research online into different scandalous outfits to make your partner wear. Decide if he wanted something basic or something particularly exotic. Choices, choices! His hand somehow finds itself crossing the gap between Ukry and himself to wrap around their waist, holding the witch and feeling along as if measuring. "I'd love to explore your measurements tonight. Then we can go to the Needle and Thread in Inside. There is no better tailor in the Nexus."
    [Romantic Dinner]

Ukry giggles around a mouthful of food. "Oh well we can't have that, can we? We'll make sure to teach you plenty... The swing is pretty easy when you get into the beat." Somehow, as they speak, for a moment there is a flash of an Ukry unconcerned with their terrible existence, just enjoying life. It's a hopeful glimmer, a hint of normalcy, of time to grow and learn how to live rather than survive. But then it passes, the gazelle giving a soft shake of their head, casting away the daydream of sequins and swing dresses, of Reinholdt in a nicely fitting suit, twirling them around to the big band's tune. Instead, Ukry stuffs their mouth rapidly for a while, as if trying to fill the hole the dream left in their head with food.

"T-to be honest, we've usually been a wallflower in the clubs so far. Pyrhra's form works wonders at getting in, but once inside..." There's a soft sigh, though somehow it seems genuinely less Ukry, and more Pyrhra for a moment. "Inside there's so much noise and motion, but we end up surfing the edge because we don't know how to navigate that landscape yet. No clue how to dance, noone to dance with, and a whole bunch of random folks just looking to take advantage of a little bunny." The tone is almost sad, but with a tone of defense to it; Like Pyrhra wanted to belong, but Ukry wanted the bunny to be safe while they belonged. It was strange, a glimmer of a more complicated relationship dynamic among the masks and their monster.

Then Reinholdt draws close, and there is a bit of a blink and a moment of confusion, as if Ukry has to nudge Pyrhra aside to focus back on their own date. "Yeah... one of each... huh..." Then a blink, and the timidness returns in earnest, as the witch finds themselves entwined in Reinholdt's embrace. Their hands press softly against the cat's chest, almost as if to push him away, or shield themselves from his advance, yet there is no resistance, no force in the motion. As soon as the treasure hunter has pulled the witch's effeminate form in to trace the curves with his hands, Ukry leans their face softly into his chest, shivering. In that moment, it becomes clear that perhaps the witch wasn't aiming to start pushing Reinholdt away with the action, but to shield the man from themselves. "T-tonight? Yeah, of course... w-we'll just need some measuring tape..."

Though the words seem to focus on the idea of clothing, Ukry's body position draws closer, seeking warmth in their date's chest, and leaving no confusion as to whether the witch had accepted the thinly veiled invitation for later in the evening. "B-but of course, dessert, a sunset, and a tour first, right? We wouldn't want to waste the time and effort you put out for us by letting things get cold while you played with tape..." One of the hands slides free, a soft brush of it's motion running over the elegant lace ties on their cloak at the reference to measuring tape. "After all, we hear the sunsets here are almost as wonderful as yo-" A soft stop, and a hasty cough, eyes searching for places to look. "A warm fire on a chilly night."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"That creature looks like the one I found on the other island," Calm Reed says, observing it from a distance and focusing on steering the boat. "It means we are on the right track."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #43

pyut, pyut

Khafir lowers the tranquilizer gun and examines her handiwork. Even at this distance, hitting the rodent shouldn't be that hard; she's developed a few techniques for aiming by using her "eye" to line up shots she can't physically see (through vision-obstructing foliage, for example).

"...I don't suppose you were planning on adopting this one, as well?" She adds, not turning to look at Calm Reed, but addressing her nonetheless.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

[Romantic Dinner]

Reinholdt finishes his glass as he watches Ukry dream of suits and jazz. "Do you often go swinging?" He asks. They seem quite taken with the genre and has gotten practice in at some point somewhere. Witches were a strange breed. Honestly the clothes intimidated him more than the dancing. How does one protect oneself from a zombie invasion if they're wearing such light and easily bitten through material? It's practically illogical.

"The point is to give yourself up to the noise and motion," Reinholdt suggests. A club wasn't there for safety, it was there for excitement. Danger is part of the thrill in Rein's eyes. "But yeah, you might enjoy it more with company. Like I said, Tina's really the one to guide you through that world. She can teach you how to dance without getting used. Though I should definitely be there to make she doesn't take advantage of you herself," Rein gives a laugh, indicating that it's a joke and he doesn't think Tina would do that. Anymore.

Rein's lips find their way to Ukry's neck and begins to leave small impressions on the skin, tiny beads of moisture, unnoticeable to the naked eye, indicating he's been to this spot. "Measuring tape, huh? I think we can find some other tool to use for measurements..." Rein says, practically smirking before pulling back. "I wouldn't consider anything a waste." Rein's not the type to get annoyed when plans change. More importantly, in his preparations, he forgot to even consider dessert. Not one for sweets or extras himself, it just didn't even cross his mind. Hopefully he can keep attention diverted away from that faux pas.

"If you wanted to see the sunset though, we'd better get out there. The sun won't be up much longer." Oh no, they'd have to skip dessert to see it probably. How horrible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

The tranquilizer dart hits the rodent's side. It flinches and lets out a pained squeak, running up the side of the mound for a short distance before keeling over and falling unconscious, slight amount of mouth coming from its mouth. It does not slide back down the slope because in its reference frame, "down" is towards the mound and its body is at complete rest.

16. - Top - End - #46

Oh!

Good.

Her co-workers took care of the rodent.

Geneva wasn't worried, per se, but she has equipment to keep an eye on and it was distracting.

As soon as the danger is over the hippogriff folds her wings, and gives them a fluff so they'll lay down straight before turning back to her equipment.

Hmm...

They appear to be getting some active interference on the thaumometer. Not merely a result of the exterior of the structure being impervious to their sensors. That implies that either there's some sensors in the structure itself designed to detect snooping and respond according...

...or there's someone down there responding to the investigation.

Either are interesting possibilities.

As the rest of the team pulls up on the island Geneva is retrieving a hard case from her inventory spell and setting it down on the naked stone. She'll glance up at the others and greet them with a very feline smile, the edges of her gape perking up slightly.

When you've got a beak for most of your face it seriously limits your range of facial expressions.

"This is all quite interesting. The gravitation effect of the structure outstrips its apparent mass by several orders of magnitude. I suspect that it may be using exotic mass to warp the topography of local space/time. The structure itself is opaque to sensors, so I'll be sending in some drones to take readings from inside."

17. - Top - End - #47

Mia didn t even draw her gun as long as they are on the boat. She is no sniper thought the weapon would be able to do the aim well enougth. Also on that boat that shakes around all time? No way.

As they land and the hippogreyth gives the explanaition on this she looks a bit confused. Not that she didn t understand it but wouldn t be a magical source be the most appropriate solution? Sure this is the nexus and not everything is normal but still things follow rules like water falls down etc.

"You may consider that this anomaly is related to a sapient mind or maybe a creature. Both sound resonable since it shows reactions to actions."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"The previous creature was sentient, if simple and child-like." Calm Reed either doesn't notice Khafir's joke or ignores it. "It does not appear to be the case with this one. But that remains to be proven decisively." The skiff hits the beach as she speaks. "Help me drag it ashore so it doesn't float." She seems confident in their ability to do so. And if they try, her supernatural strength does indeed make it possible.

19. - Top - End - #49

...Nobody ever laughs at her jokes.

Khafir shoulders a line and does her part to help beach the skiff, however paltry that might be.

"The interior of this structure is entirely unilluminated." She points out, in response to Mia and Geneva's conversation. "To my knowledge, that fact does not carry any direct implications, but it seems peculiar, even for an unknown structure in the Nexus." She rubs at her chin as she pulls against the skiff. "Perhaps we are overthinking this. It is possible the structure is dormant, or more primitive than we first suspected, and what we are seeing now is simply a material property."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #50

"It's possible it's related to a mind, but there's no reason to assume that until we encounter direct proof of some kind," Geneva replies as she takes out the first drone and activates it. They're a pretty simple, tiny quad-copter design. Highly maneuverable, autonomous, and able to carry a pretty sophisticated sensory package.

Not as sensitive as the larger stationary sensors that Geneva has set up outside, certainly.

But they make up for this with both mobility and numbers.

Each of the drones is no larger than your average sand-dollar and the hard case contains a baker's dozen of them.

Activating the drones one at a time, Geneva begins sending them into the structure with several purposes in mind. To feed video data, first of all. They all equipped with lights, cameras, and relatively simple thermal detection gear. Secondarily, to take gravitational and thaumatological readings. Again, not as sensitive as the stationary sensors. And finally, to provide mapping data on the interior of the structure.

They're quite handy little things.

"But I think it's too early to draw any conclusion. We still have plenty of data to collect. Would someone like to see if they can't get a scraping from the structure's surface for me? I'd like to try a chemical analysis."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Geneva's drones face a problem: there is no apparent way into the structure! The obsidian casing is flawless. There isn't anything suggesting the blind rodent dug its way out, or tried to dig back in either. Evidence suggests the creature, and all its dead kin, got out of the structure before it was buried. Which also means burial of the structure must have happened recently.

Then her sensors pick up strange readings. The structure of the object underneath the obsidian is changing, and direction of gravity with it. Her sensors suggests there is now a round entrance, three meters in diameter, at the middle of one side of the buried structure. Tapping the obsidian shell at that spot confirms there is a hollow space underneath. A strong blow from a hammer would ve enough to crack the rock and give the drones a way in.

The same scans that show where entrance is, also suggest the tunnel it leads to is infinetely long. Which is probably incorrect, but definitely a sign that space within the structure is not simply of three physical dimensions.

If, or more likely, when the expedition members break in, they face another difficulty: drones that wander deeper into the structure lose connection with the outside world. They do not stop working - it's possible to see them from mouth of the entrance a fair way into the structure, its just the remote video feed that's cut off. If the drones are capable of autonomous movement, then they can and will return back to the entrance, at which point it's possible to view their records. Said records don't just show much: the interior surfaces of the structure are so deep black that they absorb virtually all visible light. The interior is also of uniform temperature, so thermal scans reveal little. Gravity scans do show the tunnel terminates in a square hall, with its ceiling upheld by four round pillars - the hall is just large enough that it could fit the above-ground portion of the structure within itself.

Magic scans are slightly more interesting. They suggest in every direction, just behind the walls, there is a weak spiritual pressure. It grows when the drones fly closer and weakens when they fly further. This feedback nicely prevents the drones from smacking into any otherwise invisible objects.

This would seem to confirm Mia's hypothesis, to an extent. Whether the structure has a human-comparable mind is still an open question, but at minimum it has some reactive machinery built into its walls that allows it to detect and respond to outside entities.

. . .

If Mia doesn't like the idea of the building detecting them, now would be a good time to say any prayers that might ward off unwanted magical probing, if she hasn't already done that.

As far as chemical analysis of the surrounding rock goes, if someone gathers the samples (easy to do in the same go if they break in), the obsidian shell is normal obsidian and chemically identical to other samples from the island. The outer surface of the regular structure underneath appears to be white marble. The interior, if someone goes out of their way to scratch it with something, appears to be strong glass with embedded carbon nanotube matrix. "Appears to be", because there's unusual delay to gaining the test results. It somewhat resembles the oddity of the initial magical scan. It's like what the materials they are handling is only being decided after they try to observe them at a deeper level.

22. - Top - End - #52

Mia had no idea that Khafir made a joke so she didn't laugth.

Mia öeaves the task to open this thing up for Calm Reed. She did notice her strength and also has other things to care for. Mia has not casted any protection spells. mainly because there wasn't any threat that requires it. On top she assumes that such action might change readings and or influence the local surrounding. So since she might get informed by Geneva about the magical feedback, Mia will use detection spells to invastigate futher. Mainly because a protection spell would require to know the nature of the magic. Good Evil etc. Should she be able to determin one she will use the protection circle spell to shut it off.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

[Submarine Dock]

"Well, we're here! Just remains to get into this submarine, see, and we'll be on your way to getting ya a new cyber-arm." Chidi says, his pink eyes on dark red sclera scanning the painted silver sub before them. He's wearing a short-sleeved dark green shirt tight enough to show off his muscles, black khaki trousers and grey sneakers, his omni-beads of course on his left wrist.

"Maybe when we're done we can spend some time in the amusement beach nearby." He adds with a grin, turning to look at Olvisin.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

When it comes to opening up the entrance, Calm Reed proves quite adept at simply breaking through the rock with kicks and punches. She's also alert and able to detect any immaterial spirits that approach them, though she doesn't expect any just yet.

"It appears we will be going in mostly blind," she remarks. "I wonder if the structure's resistance to examination is intentional."

[Submarine Dock]

"Depending on how I feel after the procedure, sure." Olvisin is wearing a loose sleeveless shirt and a pair of shorts. She's also carrying a bag, containing among other things her various medical documentation. She's also wearing a wide-brimmed hat, since the sunny weather doesn't entirely agree with her goblin eyes. "Been a while since I could visit a beach just to have fun."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Romantic Dinner]

Reinholdt finishes his glass as he watches Ukry dream of suits and jazz. "Do you often go swinging?" He asks. They seem quite taken with the genre and has gotten practice in at some point somewhere. Witches were a strange breed. Honestly the clothes intimidated him more than the dancing. How does one protect oneself from a zombie invasion if they're wearing such light and easily bitten through material? It's practically illogical.

"The point is to give yourself up to the noise and motion," Reinholdt suggests. A club wasn't there for safety, it was there for excitement. Danger is part of the thrill in Rein's eyes. "But yeah, you might enjoy it more with company. Like I said, Tina's really the one to guide you through that world. She can teach you how to dance without getting used. Though I should definitely be there to make she doesn't take advantage of you herself," Rein gives a laugh, indicating that it's a joke and he doesn't think Tina would do that. Anymore.

Rein's lips find their way to Ukry's neck and begins to leave small impressions on the skin, tiny beads of moisture, unnoticeable to the naked eye, indicating he's been to this spot. "Measuring tape, huh? I think we can find some other tool to use for measurements..." Rein says, practically smirking before pulling back. "I wouldn't consider anything a waste." Rein's not the type to get annoyed when plans change. More importantly, in his preparations, he forgot to even consider dessert. Not one for sweets or extras himself, it just didn't even cross his mind. Hopefully he can keep attention diverted away from that faux pas.

"If you wanted to see the sunset though, we'd better get out there. The sun won't be up much longer." Oh no, they'd have to skip dessert to see it probably. How horrible.
    [Romantic dinner->Beachside sunset]

"More often recently, to be honest. It was something we picked up on a lark early when we first arrived; easy to catch on, enjoyable to crowd gaze during..." Ukry pauses and taps their chin, seemingly deep in thought. "Well, it originally started as a good way to scout things out by feeling the weave of a lot of folks at once. We guess after no big questions, and no big harms, we started frequenting more. Then..." The witch pauses, eyes twinkling slightly as they shift to look at Rein, betraying that this next part probably has happened since they met. Then we found ourselves going a lot. Maybe fun, maybe wanting to have something we are a little skilled at to impress someone.. er some people. We guess every couple days is fairly frequent.... There's a vocalist in a skyside bar who's helpful in teaching steps during the day, since they aren't up on the piano." Perhaps a story there? Most of the club musicians wouldn't go for teaching stuff unless they were after something else, especially in skyside, yet Ukry seems uncharacteristically unaware.

"Alright... We'll try and give up a little. For you... and this Tina person, of course." The gentle pass of the authority in that situation seems slightly laborious for the witch. Indeed, giving up to noise and emotion was hardly what a creature trying to think about not having limbs move in strange ways wanted to do. But there again, was Rein pulling the beast out of it's murky shadows and comfort, seemingly without a fight. "And... we trust you'll keep us quite safe from being used. After all, you do have some stake in us getting back from the club in one piece." There's a soft stroke of fingers over Rein's held hand, Ukry's eyes looking down at their hand's movement. "Though of course, for Lyrri, it's not uncommon to see at least... some... sway.... away from their primary poison of choice. So perhaps we wouldn't mind... not being rescued." Ukry locks eyes with Rein at the word poison, in a subtle gesture that implied both he might be their choice, but also that others were around and might pull the witch away easily enough. Then, long overdue, a laugh, this time however curling the witch's features and producing small crows feet in a way that seems very jovial.

Of course when Reinholdt skillfully dodges the after dinner tradition, the witch gives a soft pout, combined with a wink, signaling that they've figured out why the cat is so eager to see the sunset. "Oh really, no dessert? But we were looking forward to that..." There is a pause, and the witch flicks a hand, sliding down what looks to be a shadow to stand softly, then turning towards the door in a fashion that bears all the aetherial beauty and grace of those many thousand years. "We guess then we'll have to subsist on a meager dessert of the sweetest thing in the room..." Then the witch leans in, placing a teasing and gentle kiss onto Rein's cheek, before pulling him slightly toward the door. "Also we are pretty sure we saw an ice cream cart a ways down the beach, and the night is just warm enough to warrant a cone, don't you think?" It probably wasn't, at least not for someone as light and lithe as Ukry, but it was just another excuse down the line to snuggle into a warm cat.

A single shaft of yellow pierces the room as Ukry follows Rein to the door, the first glimmers of a sun beginning to set, where everything is still day-bright, but the tones have begun to warm toward the brilliant gossamer golds, and the romantic deep purples. A few clouds far away in the distance signal strong storms for the sailors, but at that length from the shore they only provide a nice sea breeze and a reason to not stay out past ten or so in the evening. Soft lighting crackles combining with the large clouds and clear sky are sure to paint a vivid picture for the evening's sunset. "What do you think, treasure hunter? Will this evening's sunset be a treasure all it's own? We hope so... it'd be really disappointing to top that dinner with a sunset we could see anywhere." Fortunately, at least right now, it seems that Ukry's slightly pessimistic outlook is surely false. Actually, very incredibly false, to the point that it begs the question when was the last time the witch took the time to watch a sunset.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

[Submarine Dock]

"You'll need to rest afterwards, sure... but it shouldn't incapacitate you all day. I guess we'll have to see." Chidi says, as he begins leading her towards the entrance to the submarine. He'd used his pass to allow both he and his companion entry into the sub, all that's left to do now is enter.

"Fair warning... the doctor can come off as arrogant. She's not a bad person by any means, see, but I feel I should warn you in case such things, however mild, annoy you." He stops at the entrance, leaving it open so that Olvisin can enter first, as a gentleman should. "Fun fact: her dad's people performed my bottom surgery."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2022-05-04 at 04:07 AM.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Beachside Sunset]

"That is pretty frequent, yeah." Every couple of days is more than an interest, it's a hobby at that point! Which is fine. It's better than the usual creepy hobbies witches have like seducing children to their homes with candy and baking them in ovens. Though Rein has possibly even less knowledge than Ukry about the inner workings of jazz musicians and why a vocalist is holding teaching sessions. He just presumes it's a part time side job, which more than a few people do to get by.

Reinholdt has to try and wade through Ukry's concessions, filled with mixed messages he isn't quite sure how to sort. Whatever their meaning they were trying to get at though, it was lost to him. "I mean, of the things to do together, I wouldn't put clubbing that high. The scene's fine, but honestly it's all a little tame to me." He shrugs. Then again everything that wasn't life threatening was generally pretty tame to the cat. "So don't force yourself or Pyrhra if you two don't want to." Wouldn't want Ukry to get poisoned.

There's a disappointed frown as the jig is up. But Ukry's joke draws out a laugh from Rein all the same. "Don't eat me all up. I'd be bad for your stomach." Fortunately Ukry seems to have other ideas and their quest for sweets won't be abated by any words. Guess Rein will just have to buy the witch ice cream. "Alright, alright," Reinholdt says, going with Ukry for a moment before sliding his arm under hers, catching her hand and winding his fingers around hers as they walk together.

As Ukry asks about the sunset, Rein pulls his eyes away for the first time to look out over the horizon. His sand footprints grow shorter as he moves slower. "The best sunrises are in the mountains and best sunsets are at the beach. That doesn't change no matter which world I've visited," Reinholdt says. "The water, loathesome liquid that it is normally, does a fine job enhancing the experience. Reflections I suppose. Framing? I dunno. I'm no poet. I just know beauty when I see it." Reinholdt's eyes pull away from the sunset to bore into Ukry's during his last statement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #58

"That would be cause for worry." Khafir replies briskly, preparing a series of glow rods to light their way back. "There is no cause to make it unobservable unless it is intended to contain something which may not be observed. Possibly an infohazard of some form, if we are in the habit of speculating baselessly." She cracks the first of the rods and tosses it in, testing to see if their entrance leads out to a walkway or if they've broken through the roof and thus well over a serviceable floor.

[Codebreaker's Home]

krackoom

Owena sighs and shakes her head as rain continues to pour down outside. If this keeps up for the next hour or so, she's going to have to walk home in it. She has a few spells to mitigate the worst of it, of course, creating the magical equivalents of an umbrella, raincoat and galoshes, but it never seemed quite comprehensive enough and she's never made it back home on a night like this without her stockings getting soaked. The weather truly seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

Her thoughts on the weather are interrupted by the sound of urgent knocking at the front door. Visitors to Codebreaker's home are already rare and seemingly getting rarer, and in any case, they generally do not come in the wee hours of the morning, which leaves Owena to speculate wildly on the identity of their guest.

She doesn't have to for long, though. When she opens the door, she finds a raven-haired woman hunched on the other side, clutching a poncho around her, soaked to the bone.

"Er... good morning, miss. What, uh... what's your business here?"

The raven-haired woman sniffles and wiped rainwater out of her face. "Please, miss, I need help... is this the house of a man called Codebreaker? I need to talk to him, please... I... I don't know who else to turn to."

"Yes, this is the place. Poor dear... come in, come in." She wraps an arm around their visitor and escorts her inside, closing the door behind her. "Mister Codebreaker is asleep right now, and he won't be awake for a few more hours. I'd be glad to fix you something while you wait."

"T-thank you." The woman sniffs, working her way out of her poncho.

"So, what'll it be? Tea? Coffee? Some other type of hot beverage?"

"Coffee, please."

Owena smiles and makes for the kitchen to prepare the drink. Well, this is unexpected, but she does have a sort of routine for guests, even if they're usually limited to her brother and uncle. Better to have all her bases covered.

"...Um... I don't mean to pry, but... I couldn't help but notice..." The woman begins. "You're, um... you're awfully cold. Are you okay?"

"I should be asking you that." Owena shrugs, clicking on the coffee pot. "But yes, I'm fine. It's perfectly normal for one of my kind to have a low body temperature. We're technically undead, after all."

"...So you aren't human?" The woman asks curiously.

"Well, I wouldn't quite say that, bu-"

kwam-tak!

Owena buckles as the woman buries her fist in her back, the breath driven out of her lungs by the force of the impact. She can feel a small portion of her spine shatter in the process, and quickly realizes she can't feel anything below that point. Before she can quite process what's happening, she's on the floor, crying in pain, craning her neck to try to see what's happening.

She only gets another second before there's a second impact in her head, which splinters her skull and creates a rather unsightly stain in the carpet.

"Non-human, but human-passing." Owena's assailant mutters to herself. "You have no idea how cathartic that was, lady."

All right, that's the help taken care of. Now all that's left is to go upstairs and secure the asset. At least, she assumes he's upstairs. The layout of the house would suggest that's the location of the master bedroom. Quickly and quietly as she can, the woman makes her way up the stairs, searching for the house's owner.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-05-04 at 12:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

"Mm... the object appears to interrupt communications in both directions," Geneva concludes after the feed from the drones go dark. They can be seen easily enough, and near as she can tell they're still communicating with each other, she's just unable to issue new commands while the walls of the structure are between she and the devices. "But the drones are still able to signal each other. Whatever is causing this black box effect is likely localized to the outer skin of the structure."

Which is fascinating.

What could be inside that would warrant preventing information from coming in or out?

"Calm Reed? Would you mind retrieving the nearest drone for me? I can't send a return signal to it so it'll need to be collected physically."

Also?

She's asking Calm Reed to go into the structure first since the dragonblooded is arguably the most resilient and combat capable of anyone there.

Which means she'll be stuck playing assistant to three nerds.

In the mean time! Geneva will be examining the chemical analysis on the outer walls. It's all quite fascinating...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

[Expedition into the dark]

Khafir's glow rod flies inside, drops on the floor and rolls around. It is less useful than they'd like, sitting there in the middle of absolutely unreflective blackness, but it does at least tell Calm Reed there is in fact a solid floor for her to walk on if she goes to fetch the drones. The drones do reflect light from glowstick, making it look like they're floating in a dark void.

As for Mia... if one doesn't know general alignment of the thing they're facing, protecting one's self from Evil is usually the safest bet. Why? Because in the ancient times when these things were decided, Evil was set up in opposition to general weal of living things. Good might harm her for wishing Evil upon others, Law might harm her for placing her individual desires above those of her group and general order, Chaos might harm her for threatening individual free will... but only Evil would harm her for sake of harming her, because her very existence is a thorn in the eye of an evil god.

There is quite a bit of Evil inside the structure. It hangs in the cool air inside like miasma above a pool of toxic sludge. For a brief moment, she feels like something moves within that pool, turning to look at her like some gargantuan sea creature under the surface. In that moment, it becomes clear the mental effort of her prayers is what is drawing attention to her.

Then her next, protective spell kicks in, and the sensation ceases.

Calm Reed might be able to feel it too. A spiritual force, moving behind the walls. Strong enough that she doesn't need to see to tell where the boundaries of the interior space are.

If the expedition wanders further into the structure, to the square hall, they will find something else, too: faintly glowing blue lines, decipting two naked women, one with cat ear and the other with reindeer antlers. Their palms are held outwards, as if to forbid entry.
    Last edited by Vahnavoi; 2022-05-04 at 12:38 PM.