New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: RPG Maker

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default RPG Maker

I'm working with the MV version specifically. For an RPG that will never see this forum. :P

There's a handy-dandy tutorial for the program, within the software itself, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has experience with it. Tips, tricks, advice, all that jazz.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: RPG Maker

I used it juuuust a little. Found it too restrictive. But then again, I never became a pro, may be more flexible than I realized.

Then I moved to GameMaker: Studio. Was good.

Now I use Godot. I’m glad I made the change.

On the one hand, RPG Maker is great for getting right into making stuff. On the other hand, Godot can certainly make RPGs. Here’s a video of a WIP RPG using Godot: https://youtu.be/BKhHpCXTyUI
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I used it juuuust a little. Found it too restrictive. But then again, I never became a pro, may be more flexible than I realized.

On the one hand, RPG Maker is great for getting right into making stuff. On the other hand, Godot can certainly make RPGs. Here’s a video of a WIP RPG using Godot: https://youtu.be/BKhHpCXTyUI
    As someone who sucks at coding, easy is good for me. But I'll definitely be filing those other systems away for future reference. :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post

RPG Maker is mainly a tool for people who want to write game stories and not bother with systems.

I use it currently despite having GameMaker Studio installed, although that's mostly because I have an eye condition that makes reading impractical and can't get vision correction for several months. Messing about with RPG Maker just has a lot less required reading than anything involving code.

Even then, despite having big ideas for RPGs made with better tools, I kind of want to finish an RPG Maker game first. It's not a bad set of tools for what it's designed for, and it'll help me learn how to write game stories. A more powerful tool is not an inherently better tool.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    As someone who sucks at coding, easy is good for me. But I'll definitely be filing those other systems away for future reference. :)
    Sounds good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A more powerful tool is not an inherently better tool.
    Oh yeah absolutely.

I’ve played some great RPGMaker games, especially horror games (they simply didn’t make use of the combat system).

If you want to tell an interactive story, and find the combat system acceptable, absolutely RPGMaker is a-OK. Unfortunately I don’t have any tips :P
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ