New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Best Wargaming System for Medieval Battles?

I’m interested in an easy-to-learn wargaming system that allows for tactical control of combat units within an army, such as a cavalry formation or a phalanx of spearmen.

And that probably describes a lot of them, but please bear with me. I’ve played several editions of D&D across several decades, so I’m familiar with running PCs, but I have zero experience with actual wargames that send armies or detachments against each other.

That said, what I’m looking for is a system that would allow several players to each control several combat units. I’m open to a broad range of time periods, say roughly 500-1200 or so.

Beyond this, I simply don’t know enough about wargames to ask in more detail. Osprey Publishing has a series of wargame books for a whole range of styles and eras, but I don’t know if their system is especially well-thought out or playable. Can someone help me get my bearings, and maybe find the right system for me?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best Wargaming System for Medieval Battles?

There's always TSR's Battlesystem rules.

It has three levels of rules, Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. Basic covers moving, shooting, fighting, and morale. Intermediate adds unit and army commanders, and fighting in defensive fortifications. Advanced adds magic and flying units.

If you just want to use it for conventional battles (ie no magic, no dragons) then you should be fine just ignoring the Advanced rules.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Warhammer ancients is my current go to. Apparently Hail Caesar is the successor, but I've not tried that out yet.
    It's more focused on your generals giving orders to large blocks of troops then the stars on individual units.
    Each "unit" consists of three stands which represents your phalanx, cavalry group etc. The game is scaled to work with 10mm models although we typically play with 6mm and it has rules to support 28mm. Or you can just use blank bases with flags painted on them to try out the rules
    Last edited by Aliess; 2022-04-10 at 08:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Are you tying it into your D&D game, or are you doing something else?

Honestly, if you are tying it into the D&D game you do not actually want a Tactical Wargame. I suggest you take a closer look at Legend of the 5 Rings as there are rules for integrating mass battles into the RPG setting.

The Osprey Wargame that will help you most is called Lion Rampant, and here is my review of it....

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...y-wargame.html

and if you want a Fantasy version of it, I would recommend Dragon Rampant.....

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...y-wargame.html

I hope that is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliess View Post
    Warhammer ancients is my current go to. Apparently Hail Caesar is the successor, but I've not tried that out yet.
    It's more focused on your generals giving orders to large blocks of troops then the stars on individual units.
    Each "unit" consists of three stands which represents your phalanx, cavalry group etc. The game is scaled to work with 10mm models although we typically play with 6mm and it has rules to support 28mm. Or you can just use blank bases with flags painted on them to try out the rules
    I believe you are referring to Warmaster Ancients not Warhammer Ancients.

Warmaster is indeed the spiritual successor of Hail Ceasar. Warhammer Fantasy Battle is the spiritual successor of Warhammer Ancients.
    Last edited by Easy e; 2022-04-11 at 11:08 AM.
    *This Space Available*

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    I believe you are referring to Warmaster Ancients not Warhammer Ancients.

Warmaster is indeed the spiritual successor of Hail Ceasar. Warhammer Fantasy Battle is the spiritual successor of Warhammer Ancients.
    I am indeed. Not sure how I let that one through. Cheers