New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default New 3.5e campaign Starting. I would like advice on Synad.

Hiiiii!

So I'm joining a 3.5e campaign in a few weeks and I'm playing as an Archivist. Entirely out of the ordinary for me however, a race I found in dndtools caught my eye; the Synad. Fleshy human-esque aberrations with three minds in a mini-collective in the one body.
    I didn't expect to be allowed it, but my DM gave me the go-ahead to play a Synad.

Might anyone with RP experience (Synad or not) be able to give me some advice on /how/ to RP this (or these) character? Is it all one distinct personality (for inter-character interactions) distilled from the overmind or collective? Are they three separate mental voices arguing/bickering/debating between each other, or...?

The main thing that came to mind for me was the idea that each of them represented a different 'Lore'. Such as Knowledge-Religion, Knowledge-Arcana, but I feel like there should be more to it/them than that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New 3.5e campaign Starting. I would like advice on Synad.

I'd probably designate one for each of Intelligence/knowledge, Wisdom/reason, and Charisma/interaction. Cha would be the one speaking to others most of the time, but may be interrupted by Wis if you succeed on a sense motive check, or by Int if you remember something relevant, etc. Each would 'speak' to each other empathically/wordlessly, your character's thoughts would be a medley from all three, but one or two may contribue more to a given thought than the others.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's a past/present/future thing going on: the Oracle can slightly see the future, the Collective taps into memories, and the Overmind runs the actual body most of the time. When different parts of the mind rise to the surface / front, you could emphasize this difference by having the Oracle highly interested in planning ahead and moving forward, while the Collective is more contemplative and inclined to reminiscence.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need?

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If you haven't yet, watching the movie Split might give you an idea.

Given that you're playing an archivist, you're free to take any alignment and any Deity. A fun idea could be to take THREE alignments and THREE Deities.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

You could always have one really heavy Id, one really heavy Ego, and one really heavy Super Ego...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: New 3.5e campaign Starting. I would like advice on Synad.

Next, and more importantly, silly question.

Do we have anywhere on the website here in GITP that could serve well as an 'In character/IC' writing thing? I primarily would like to use such a thing as a thought experiment to get into the mind(s) of a Synad for my upcoming campaign.

I do not know if 'Arts and Crafts' would work, because... from my own experience, I do not think I'd be good enough at writing things to even remotely consider my offerings as 'art'. XD

There is, of course, the On-Going Games (In Character), but that too, gives the impression of a section that would not quite fit what I intend.