New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022)

Hello everyone. Today I'm going to review Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022)
    Show
    Today I'm going to review Sonic The Hedgehog 2 that I saw on Dolby. Just to let everyone. Yes, I have played the older Sonic The Hedgehog video games and yes I saw the first Sonic movie and the first one was good. This movie is about Sonic and Tails joining forces to stop Dr. Robotnik and Knuckles to get the mystical emerald. What I like about this movie is there was a lot of action in it. What I don't like is that most of the jokes and humor were very corny to my taste. There were so many easter eggs and references from the Sonic Games. This movie was very decent for a Sonic sequel. It wasn't good bad but mediocre at its finest. I'll give this movie a 5 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022)

Just got home from seeing it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Generally better then the first in every way. Script and story structure were a bit tighter, the jokes just about all landed for me and were very funny, and the movie manages to maintain the sense of pure fun from the first one that carried it through it's bad bits into being something genuine and good. I'm looking forward to 3.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: Easter Eggs
    Show
    I already knew that Super Sonic was going to be in this movie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw it earlier today.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    • In general it was excellent.
    • Some of the beats were a little too close to the first movie. (Dance fight vs. bar fight from movie 1)
    • Idris Elba was having lots of fun as Knuckles!
    • Some bits of the special effects were a little lacking.
    • I like that the side characters get to be useful.
    • Saw the ring switch coming a mile away. Come on Donut Lord, you were just asking for trouble with that!
    • Who were those humanoid guys with Knuckles at the beginning???
    • With the added backstory from this movie the Longclaw vs. Echidna Tribe fight results seem a bit…fishy. It’s not impossible for both sides to kill each other off, but she was badly outnumbered, I feel like the Echidna Tribe should have won that. At this point I’m suspecting the intervention of an as yet unknown third party.

Would recommend. Also looking forward to Sonic 3.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Saw it earlier today.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    • Who were those humanoid guys with Knuckles at the beginning???
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were three of them, their helmets were birdlike, and it may have been just the lighting but I'm pretty sure their helmets were magenta, green, and grey. That, along with the Babylonian symbols on the statue later on, makes me think they were a version of the Babylon Rogues, from Sonic Riders.

Really liked this one. I had the biggest grin on my face for most of it, and that one bit at the end had me freaking out. You know the bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Much better than the first, which was already surprisingly good.

I would say that the movie softened a couple blows that I had been dreading, if that makes sense.

First, my image of Tails was shaped by games in which his gameplay is basically the same as Sonic's, plus the ability to fly, making him easy mode. As a result, I just can't help being thrown off by games and adaptations in which Tails is weaker than his pals. Yes, I see why he shouldn't turn into a spiky ball when he has no quills. Better give him gadgets instead. But, like, my childhood!

This happened with this movie as well, but not to the point where I felt they made Tails useless. Or maybe I became wiser? Nah, the writers must have done it right.

Second, I had a feeling the trailers were only showing Knuckles at his most "ancient warrior" and leaving out the "goofy knucklehead" parts.

But, again, I ended up enjoying the character nonetheless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Overall, pretty decent. Very much in the spirit of the first one, so if you loved/hated that, you will likely feel similarly.

Great humor, only real downside is occasionally a few slightly slow parts in the middle bits where they're padding time a touch. This never actually gets terrible, there's enough funny to mostly cover for it. It's at least a solid 8/10 if you're looking for a light, fun film.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It's at least a solid 8/10 if you're looking for a light, fun film.
    Is that 8/10 on the actual 10-point system or 8/10 on the 4-point gamer system (in which a 7 is considered a scathing teardown)?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Is that 8/10 on the actual 10-point system or 8/10 on the 4-point gamer system (in which a 7 is considered a scathing teardown)?
    Actual ten point, I found it quite enjoyable. I won't hesitate to rip into a film that's lame, or even nitpick stuff with a bit of both good and bad, but yeah, the gamer sort of reviews always seemed ridiculous.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wouldn't most Sonic properties be rated on a 1-4 out of 10, if it was video games?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wouldn't most Sonic properties be rated on a 1-4 out of 10, if it was video games?
    Hard to say, since I kind of checked out of the franchise around Heroes but that sounds right. The series never really managed to translate into 3d despite a decent effort in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Everything up through the Dreamcast games still holds up though and I feel like that is where the average person's mind goes when they think about the series. Well that and the two shows and the Archie comics which had a hell of a run before legal issues murdered that franchise in it's sleep.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

7 on that scale is hardly a scathing teardown. That rating scale is as follows:
    1. Unplayable junk
    2. Unplayable junk
    3. Unplayable junk
    4. Unplayable junk
    5. Unplayable junk
    6. Quite bad
    7. Average
    8. Pretty good
    9. Incredibly good
    10. Best of the year
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Overall, pretty decent. Very much in the spirit of the first one, so if you loved/hated that, you will likely feel similarly.

Great humor, only real downside is occasionally a few slightly slow parts in the middle bits where they're padding time a touch. This never actually gets terrible, there's enough funny to mostly cover for it. It's at least a solid 8/10 if you're looking for a light, fun film.
    I feel like they did the whole 'Sonic is on Earth and interacting with humans' bit in the first, so they felt they had to keep it up in this one. I know they'd have had to make some changes to explain what happened to them, but at the same time I don't feel like they added much to this one. Much of the parts where we were watching the human cast felt like unnecessary padding.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    7 on that scale is hardly a scathing teardown. That rating scale is as follows:
    1. Unplayable junk
    2. Unplayable junk
    3. Unplayable junk
    4. Unplayable junk
    5. Unplayable junk
    6. Quite bad
    7. Average
    8. Pretty good
    9. Incredibly good
    10. Best of the year
    That's weird, usually I've seen 6 and 7 included in the "Unplayable junk" category, with 8 as "Average", 9 as "Pretty good", and 10 as "Best, except somehow also the baseline expectation"

As for how many Sonic games fit into the 1-7 range, it's basically all the ones where they tried to half-ass a new playstyle that they couldn't actually pull off, and also Forces.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

That's weird, usually I've seen 6 and 7 included in the "Unplayable junk" category, with 8 as "Average", 9 as "Pretty good", and 10 as "Best, except somehow also the baseline expectation"

As for how many Sonic games fit into the 1-7 range, it's basically all the ones where they tried to half-ass a new playstyle that they couldn't actually pull off, and also Forces.
    I dunno, I actually liked the Day levels in Sonic Unleashed. Probably my favorite of the 3D Sonic games, even if the Night levels were pretty bad. The Day levels were actually how I felt 3D Sonic should have been all along.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I've never seen a game rated in the 7s as "unplayable junk", or even bad. It's almost always been average in my experience, and 8 has always been good.

Mind you I'm pulling from really old publications like EGM or PC Gamer.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-04-15 at 07:52 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Side-plot
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually like what they did with the needless sideplot that focuses on the humans because cgi is expensive. It looked to be that before descending into madness.

Also did the movie really end with Knuckles cheering for sprinkles?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Side-plot
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually like what they did with the needless sideplot that focuses on the humans because cgi is expensive. It looked to be that before descending into madness.

Also did the movie really end with Knuckles cheering for sprinkles?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No there was an end credits scene.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No there was an end credits scene.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My god... Project Sprinkles

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Excellent film, honestly. Just incredibly fun from beginning to end. The GUN twist was brilliantly unexpected to the point it justified the pretty "eh it's okay to good" human scenes.

Tails having gadgets that I can immediately map to gadgets he has used in the two Tails solo games that exist is also fun!

Idris Elba as Knuckles is... really good, because he captures this strange sort of accent and manner of speech where it feels at first like he's reading his lines and is not sure what he's saying, but the reality is no that's just Knuckles. He's kind of lowkey dumb so it ends up with him speaking in a naturally stilted way, if that makes sense.

The tease for Sonic 3 has me hype as ****, to be quite honest. I want to see him just pull a gun out.

21. - Top - End - #21

Saw it yesterday. And I had fun!

Lots of little references (Mean Bean Machine, anyone?) but a genuinely fun movie even if you don't know Sonic well, I'd think.

Looking forward to Three.

Spoiler
    Show
    Notice how Sonic got something important while fishing. Fishing. This can mean only one thing...

BIG THE CAT! :P
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite easter egg was the manual of the [spoiler] having the same typeface and cover as a sega genesis booklet that came in the box.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

So I watched both movies after reading this thread, and I have to thank you guys for drawing my attention to them. See, I originally hadn't seen the first one because I assumed it would be bad (because it's a video game movie, and the movie industry's track record with those is... not stellar), but I came across this thread with you all praising the second movie. I was all like, "that can't be right, can it?" So I watched the first one to find out for myself and was very pleasantly surprised. I rarely laugh out loud much while watching movies, but I was chuckling for a lot of the film. And of course, after enjoying the first one, I had to watch the second one. Knuckles and Tails were great, and Dr. Robotnik was just as hilarious in the second one as the first.

"Dot, dot, dot..."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    So I watched both movies after reading this thread, and I have to thank you guys for drawing my attention to them.
    That's really cool. Spreading the word!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

So I watched both movies after reading this thread, and I have to thank you guys for drawing my attention to them. See, I originally hadn't seen the first one because I assumed it would be bad (because it's a video game movie, and the movie industry's track record with those is... not stellar), but I came across this thread with you all praising the second movie. I was all like, "that can't be right, can it?" So I watched the first one to find out for myself and was very pleasantly surprised. I rarely laugh out loud much while watching movies, but I was chuckling for a lot of the film. And of course, after enjoying the first one, I had to watch the second one. Knuckles and Tails were great, and Dr. Robotnik was just as hilarious in the second one as the first.

"Dot, dot, dot..."
    Happy to help!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So I watched both movies after reading this thread, and I have to thank you guys for drawing my attention to them. See, I originally hadn't seen the first one because I assumed it would be bad (because it's a video game movie, and the movie industry's track record with those is... not stellar), but I came across this thread with you all praising the second movie. I was all like, "that can't be right, can it?" So I watched the first one to find out for myself and was very pleasantly surprised. I rarely laugh out loud much while watching movies, but I was chuckling for a lot of the film. And of course, after enjoying the first one, I had to watch the second one. Knuckles and Tails were great, and Dr. Robotnik was just as hilarious in the second one as in the first.

"Dot, dot, dot..."
    Well, video game movies have a very bad reputation for being horrible. They have been doing it since the early 90s. However, the Sonic movie series is a few exceptions for being good to decent. Also, Detective Pikachu was good as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My wife and I saw it last week, and we both enjoyed it. As I've said before we watched the first one on streaming a while ago because, enh, why not, nothing better was on and it was surprisingly not bad.

I've never been into the Sonic games so don't know a lot of the lore but...
    Spoiler
    Show

Super Saiyan Sonic? Is that something from the video games?
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    My wife and I saw it last week, and we both enjoyed it. As I've said before we watched the first one on streaming a while ago because, enh, why not, nothing better was on and it was surprisingly not bad.

I've never been into the Sonic games so don't know a lot of the lore but...
    Spoiler
    Show

Super Saiyan Sonic? Is that something from the video games?
    100% yes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Get all 7 Chaos Emeralds and you go SUPER SONIC!

Happened in Sonic 2, 3, &Knuckles, Adventure One, Adventure Two, '06...
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I really enjoyed the movie myself.

Spoiler: Only complaints
    Show
    The only real thing that was a little jarring was Tail's explanation for being there. I didn't understand where he came from or how he knew to watch Sonic from afar for so long when none of the other people looking for him and the emerald knew where to look. But that's just a minor nitpick to an otherwise enjoyable movie.

And I know Jim Carrey was considering this be his last movie before retirement, but I do hope he comes back for Sonic 3. They left it open to whether he could return in 3 if he wanted, which was cool.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Watched this film with my fam this past weekend and really enjoyed it. The first movie I thought was fun, but because Jim Carrey really steals the show.

This one feels a bit more balanced and everyone gets some time to shine. I also think that not getting into too many details to explain some things was a good move. Yeah there's a couple questions I had, but this film knows what we want and just focuses on that. :3

Tails was so adorable.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races