New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Grrl Power VII: Let Me Explain For The Next Thirty Comics!

And somehow he still regularly managed to get snookered by a guy with a freeze ray.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Conclusion? Freeze Ray Op. Max should be glad the aliens only had a stasis beam.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Flash cannot normally run through obstacles. Currently the battle is inside a building. Stairs and similar things give advantage to the flier.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The Flash cannot normally run through obstacles. Currently the battle is inside a building. Stairs and similar things give advantage to the flier.
    Really? I don't know much about the comics, but he got the ability to run through solid objects pretty early in the TV show.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Really? I don't know much about the comics, but he got the ability to run through solid objects pretty early in the TV show.
    As I recall, its something that (some versions of) the Flash can do, but it usually takes some concentration and time for him to do it right, which makes it less viable as an off the cuff combat technique. By and large, Flash also really, really doesnt want to have to go all out to stop a villain, and his villains really dont want to push him that far, because that tends to end up with a villain slammed into a solid object at several times the speed of sound until he's paste. So people usually play nice with the Flash.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly being inside a building is a disadvantage for the flier. Cellings gets in the way of your 3D mobility.

While just about every itteration of the Flash is able to run on walls and cellings.

7. - Top - End - #397

SamuraiGuy

Attention Dave: don't mention that there's a "real team" and then not show us the real team. Enough of stupid goon squad.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

So. Halo's mystery plan, subject of so much speculation, is finally revealed.
    Turns out the reason there was so much discussion, is that there isnt anything that will work without author fiat.
    Well. Assuming this actually works.

I do call author fiat on this thing being big enough to matter.
    And if its big enough to matter. How the heck Darude overlooked it.
    Thats basically overlooking someone replacing the carpet beneath you during a fight.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Turns out the reason there was so much discussion, is that there isnt anything that will work without author fiat.

Thats basically overlooking someone replacing the carpet beneath you during a fight.
    Well presumably he was busy trying to murder Maxima. And Max really only needs a little bit of time of him being unable to replenish his sand to just come in and incapacitate him. Possibly lethally.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems Darude is really more "sandstorm" than "sand". He pulls sand in to replenish himself, rather than just being all the sand everywhere. He can't feel the sand, it's just his resource - if the "obsidian laserdisc" was done quickly enough he would only be aware of the problem once he tried to pull more sand in - i.e. kind of like the final battle in Big Hero Six.

Also it worked last time. Maxima glassed the desert for miles around, which was sufficient to prevent Darude from reforming.

My biggest issue with the plan is that we know what happens when the PPO interacts with sand. You get a sandsplosion due to the beam not being just a heat gun. Maybe since the rapidfire mode unlock Sydney has aperture controls on the beam as well, allowing for a wider, less explody variant.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

So busy with Max he could miss Sydney doing freaking terraforming with a giant laser? right beneath his feet?
    Thats about cartoon level unaware of what goes around him.

Darude has enough control over his sand to try and force it into Max's lung.
    But we are still expected to believe he overlooked the giant freaking laser flying in circles beneath his feet?
    That the ground around him slowly turns purple?
    And that he has increasingly less access to sand?

Its not that glassing the desert worked, that im objecting to.
    But that it was possible to get away with it uninterupted.
    The scale of this is hard to estimate. But it clearly have to be a couple square kilometers.
    Thats not done swiftly. Last it took Max 4 hours to reach that point.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

So busy with Max he could miss Sydney doing freaking terraforming with a giant laser? right beneath his feet?
    Thats about cartoon level unaware of what goes around him.

Darude has enough control over his sand to try and force it into Max's lung.
    But we are still expected to believe he overlooked the giant freaking laser flying in circles beneath his feet?
    That the ground around him slowly turns purple?
    And that he has increasingly less access to sand?

Its not that glassing the desert worked, that im objecting to.
    But that it was possible to get away with it uninterupted.
    The scale of this is hard to estimate. But it clearly have to be a couple square kilometers.
    Thats not done swiftly. Last it took Max 4 hours to reach that point.
    The way Max speaks about this, Darude does not seem to constantly replenish himself with sand - this action probably requires a lot of focus from him. So as long as he did not pull for more sand recently, he could very well be unaware of what was going on well below him. Considering that he is in the middle of a duel with Maxima he really has no luxury of not focusing on the opponent the whole time. And with all the dust in the air, it would have been difficult to take an incidental glance either.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #403

SamuraiGuy

Is it possible that Darude can't see through his own sandstorm? It's like seeing through your own body in a sense.

So he's in there, somewhere, fighting Maxima, and all around him is a cloud of reduced visibility.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Why is the ground purple when the sand wasn't purple?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Is it possible that Darude can't see through his own sandstorm? It's like seeing through your own body in a sense.

So he's in there, somewhere, fighting Maxima, and all around him is a cloud of reduced visibility.
    Through his own sand he can probably feel (otherwise it would be a pretty useless superpower), but if he needs particular effort to make sand his own, not all the dust lifted by the fight would be his sand.
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Why is the ground purple when the sand wasn't purple?
    I'm really not sure to be honest. In the notes Dave refers to what Sidney made as obsidian but that would typically be black - decidedly not purple. Still, I would expect any kind of glass with less pronounced color. And frankly, with the scale of this operation, I am not sure if the melted sand would cool down fast enough to solidify just yet.

Out of curiosity: does anyone know, what kind of mineral Sydney would actually produce by rapidly overheating sand?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My two minutes of Internet research tell me that obsidian is exclusively made by the cooling of lava and has nothing to do with melted sand.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As pointed out in the comments, back when Maxima was testing Sydney's shield, it also made purple glass. Seems to just be what the art looks like in this comic for that.
    Last edited by Pax1138; 2022-08-19 at 03:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Colossus in the Playground

It probably has to do with the color scheme of the comic. Regular black wouldnt look right on such a backdrop or something along those lines. And yes, 10 square kilometers turned to glass without either maxima or darude noticing? Sus. Especially since she had to detour around infrastructure to avoid doing cataclysmic damage to the country and its lines of supply and such. She can move many times the speed of sound, thats still a LOT of surface area to scour. Plus, her beam is pretty small in size considering it split a tank in half instead of leaving only the edges remaining. Like a foot or two wide at best. So unless she unlocked a wide beam like the flat setting on a garden hose, i call shenanigans.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It probably has to do with the color scheme of the comic. Regular black wouldnt look right on such a backdrop or something along those lines. And yes, 10 square kilometers turned to glass without either maxima or darude noticing? Sus. Especially since she had to detour around infrastructure to avoid doing cataclysmic damage to the country and its lines of supply and such. She can move many times the speed of sound, thats still a LOT of surface area to scour. Plus, her beam is pretty small in size considering it split a tank in half instead of leaving only the edges remaining. Like a foot or two wide at best. So unless she unlocked a wide beam like the flat setting on a garden hose, i call shenanigans.
    Yes, she'd have to have the firespray mode's aperture controls active on the beam to make wide passes. A 10km-diameter circle is like 78 million square meters. If she could only glass a 1-meter wide strip of desert with the laser, she'd have to travel at 78 thousand kph, or Mach 63, and it'd still take an hour. If she could glass 100-meter-wide strips, she could do it flying at Mach 2 in around 20 minutes.

Also obsidian is glass, rock that cooled too quickly to crystallize. Molten sand cools to glass, glass with all kinds of impurities in it becomes more opaque and more colored. So for all I know molten desert sand would cool to a violet color.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that he is in the middle of a duel with Maxima he really has no luxury of not focusing on the opponent the whole time. And with all the dust in the air, it would have been difficult to take an incidental glance either.
    He is one of the only people in the world who have that luxury.
    But he absolutely could stop for a 2-3 min smoke break in the middle of the fight if he could find a big enough cigarette.
    He is the size of a geografic feature. Dodging is -not- a thing. Max is going to hit him no matter what.

Also the faster she is flying, the more absurd the energy requirement for her cutting beam becomes.
    If we say a layer of obsidian 2 mm deep, and 10 square km done in 20 min. minutte. Then its 20 m3 sand done in 20 min. Or 1 m3 of sand per minutte.
    Well i guess thats actually not unreasonable for an energy output.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

The more confusing part to me is how has the desert cooled enough to form obsidian? Sydney may well have sufficient energy output to melt the surface of a 10km diameter circle of savannah (they are not in a desert, there's no desert for hundreds of miles in any direction), but both the air above that and the soil below it are going to be good insulators, it'll take a bit to cool down. There ought to be just a giant glowing yellow smear on the landscape.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The more confusing part to me is how has the desert cooled enough to form obsidian? Sydney may well have sufficient energy output to melt the surface of a 10km diameter circle of savannah (they are not in a desert, there's no desert for hundreds of miles in any direction), but both the air above that and the soil below it are going to be good insulators, it'll take a bit to cool down. There ought to be just a giant glowing yellow smear on the landscape.
    I think by this point we have confirmed that exactly zero percent of this whole thing makes sense from any angle whatsoever. Superman could have done this because the dude can basically heat vision everything in his field of vision at once if he wants, and has enough control to perform brain surgery with it as well. So he could fly high, look at the surrounding area, and heat blast it all at once to glass. Sydney does not have that option. Honestly, the ONLY part of this that makes sense to have her do instead of maxima is the worry about collateral. Max can explode the area into glass, but there are a lot of roads and farms and such all over the place that would be destroyed by such a thing. But that just means realistically the entire plan should be tossed.

Ok so this being stupid and making no sense aside, who wants to take bets on how deus will react to the glass lake thing?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #413

SamuraiGuy

Physics just went off to cry in the corner, joined by geology.

It's a comic about pretty people doing amazing things, not a science tutorial.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Well that was anti climactic.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

It was anti climatic. And honestly also lame.
    The size of the idiot ball given to Darude was staggering. Not only did he fail to notice about 10 km2 of geographic feature forming beneath his feet.
    He also waited on refreshing sand until he was basically on the brink of going OOS.

who wants to take bets on how deus will react to the glass lake thing?
    But well Deus is certainly not going to mind.
    This is a chance to be gracious for the help given in protecting his country and productive facility.
    So he will officially thank everyone involved. Possibly even hand out a small medal.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It was anti climatic. And honestly also lame.
    The size of the idiot ball given to Darude was staggering. Not only did he fail to notice about 10 km2 of geographic feature forming beneath his feet.
    He also waited on refreshing sand until he was basically on the brink of going OOS.

But well Deus is certainly not going to mind.
    This is a chance to be gracious for the help given in protecting his country and productive facility.
    So he will officially thank everyone involved. Possibly even hand out a small medal.
    Eh, how much attention could you spare to the landscape if Maxima was trying to beat you to death?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, how much attention could you spare to the landscape if Maxima was trying to beat you to death?
    I could spare 100% as it would not matter.

Darude can also spare 100% as getting smacked dont really affect him.

Also there is a difference between sparing attention. And spotting if someone are changing the carpet beneath your feets.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2022-08-22 at 09:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418

SamuraiGuy

I could spare 100% as it would not matter.

Darude can also spare 100% as getting smacked dont really affect him.

Also there is a difference between sparing attention. And spotting if someone are changing the carpet beneath your feets.
    To be fair, the carpet is being changed while you are flying. It's more akin to someone working on the plumbing in the crawl space beneath the house while you're having a running gun battle on multiple floors.

And getting smacked does affect him; it's how Maxima "got him burned down", previous strip.

29. - Top - End - #419

Waiting to control more sand is kind of a strategic choice too be honest. If he diverts to ground level to gather more sand or however he has to take control of it, it leaves maxima free to wide angle blast him and his current supply, removing a lot in one go. If he waits till he is almost out, then he loses the least amount of current sand grabbing the next wave of it. At least, thats the best argument I can come up with. I imagine he cant just blink and make the desert appear in midair, there is probably some sort of thing he has to do to take control of a vast amount of it.

To be fair, the carpet is being changed while you are flying. It's more akin to someone working on the plumbing in the crawl space beneath the house while you're having a running gun battle on multiple floors.

And getting smacked does affect him; it's how Maxima "got him burned down", previous strip.
    From what dave said, she needs to destroy his sand to the point where he cant sublimate his body into the element before she can properly smack him one. Think Pica from One Piece. He can take over mt rushmore and animate it, but its not his real body. His real body is contained somewhere within it but until you chop it down to sub human size, you cant really hurt him. Thats what she was doing all this time, burning sand till he couldnt use it and reducing his sandstorm form till he was basically mostly human then POW! Right in the kisser!
    Last edited by Traab; 2022-08-22 at 03:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It's also worth considering that he may have been intentionally throwing the fight. For instance, if this was one of Deus' ploys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II