New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VII: Let Me Explain For The Next Thirty Comics!

No thats the point i was trying to make. You forgot to name a country yourself

A citizen of the fictional nation of the United Steaks goes around in another country
    Another country is suposedly not the same as Chocolate land.
    Its Another country i claim have an actual justified claim on the Steakian mass murderer.
    The actual victims i would claim, are the dead bakers and their families.
    And it seems fully reasonable they try and petition to have the murderer handed over to Another country for trial.

Since the problem with the alternative, becomes that people are suddenly not equal before the law.
    They would not be, if citizens carried a tiny pocket of their native laws with them.
    So that stealing from a Chocolater got you month in jail. While stealing from a Baker got your hand chopped off.

Alas. International relations are tricky. Hence i dont argue about whats legal or likely with Darude.
    Only with what would be justified.

While as for Darude. He got knocked down while brawling with a couple civilians.
    And then picked up by law enforcement. I think you can say Galtyn captured him.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No thats the point i was trying to make. You forgot to name a country yourself

Another country is suposedly not the same as Chocolate land.
    Its Another country i claim have an actual justified claim on the Steakian mass murderer.
    The actual victims i would claim, are the dead bakers and their families.
    And it seems fully reasonable they try and petition to have the murderer handed over to Another country for trial.

Since the problem with the alternative, becomes that people are suddenly not equal before the law.
    They would not be, if citizens carried a tiny pocket of their native laws with them.
    So that stealing from a Chocolater got you month in jail. While stealing from a Baker got your hand chopped off.

Alas. International relations are tricky. Hence i dont argue about whats legal or likely with Darude.
    Only with what would be justified.

While as for Darude. He got knocked down while brawling with a couple civilians.
    And then picked up by law enforcement. I think you can say Galtyn captured him.
    In my mind, Another Country was the Nation of Chocolate. Or an amalgamation of several nations, including Chocolate, where this was going down. Which admittedly does explain a lot about the disagreement.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #483
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Dave, repeat after me. Phonetic Aksents are never as funny as they seem in your head.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Dave, repeat after me. -X- are never as funny as they seem in your head.
    Sadly generally appliable

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Dave, repeat after me. Phonetic Aksents are never as funny as they seem in your head.
    Yeah, my reaction to this scene was not amusement but confusion - why is there a seemingly Jamaican man on a fishing boat of the coast of Senegal, and why doesn't his son have the same accent as him?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The clumsy accent detracted from the punchline, which actually wasn't bad.
    "Those clouds? Good fishing".
    "That set over there? Squalls".
    "The clouds dancing? Ass-kicking imminent."
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #487
    Colossus in the Playground

He has an interesting history with accents. In that he tends to really enjoy spelling them out when they are particularly strong like varia and her boston accent. This case is different however, in that we have to wonder why they are speaking english to each other in the first place? French is the "official" language of senegal, and there are a ton of others listed like Wolof, Pulaar, Mandinka, Balanta-Ganja, Mandjak, Hassaniya Arabic, Noon, Jola-Fonyi, Serer, Soninke, and Mankanya. English isnt even on the list.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #488

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He has an interesting history with accents. In that he tends to really enjoy spelling them out when they are particularly strong like varia and her boston accent. This case is different however, in that we have to wonder why they are speaking english to each other in the first place? French is the "official" language of senegal, and there are a ton of others listed like Wolof, Pulaar, Mandinka, Balanta-Ganja, Mandjak, Hassaniya Arabic, Noon, Jola-Fonyi, Serer, Soninke, and Mankanya. English isnt even on the list.
    Also, you wouldn't go over Senegal on your way to the United States from Mozambique. You'd be further south, like Gabon.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Also, you wouldn't go over Senegal on your way to the United States from Mozambique. You'd be further south, like Gabon.
    Plausibly it might actually be faster for Maxima to go around the Cape out to see before turning north, assuming she can go much faster over ocean because she doesn't have to worry about the impact of her supersonic speeds. In certain circumstances she'd also want to think about over-the-pole routes.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Im not certain going over the ocean means she can unleash more super sonic booms.
    If anything i would assume smaller boats would be even more vulnerable to them than someone at land.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Im not certain going over the ocean means she can unleash more super sonic booms.
    If anything i would assume smaller boats would be even more vulnerable to them than someone at land.
    I suspect it's a lot easier for her to find routes that don't go near ships than ones that don't go near towns.

12. - Top - End - #492

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I suspect it's a lot easier for her to find routes that don't go near ships than ones that don't go near towns.
    Except ships move and are in unpredictable places, unless she's tapped into US intelligence and they can route her. Which, actually, is likely.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Except ships move and are in unpredictable places, unless she's tapped into US intelligence and they can route her. Which, actually, is likely.
    Actually, every commercial vessel on the planet (and most yachts above a certain size) is continually location tracked using GPS through the AIS database. You can view a free live feed here.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2022-09-09 at 08:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Actually, every commercial vessel on the planet (and most yachts above a certain size) is continually location tracked using GPS through the AIS database. You can view a free live feed here.
    I'd also expect there are certain sea regions, shipping lanes, et cetera, which are more frequently traveled by ships, and others which are relatively devoid of traffic where it would be pretty safe to go at max speed.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Its the smaller ones im worried about anyway.

16. - Top - End - #496

Its the smaller ones im worried about anyway.
    Would the smaller ones without trackers be far out at sea? Also, would sonic booms even be an issue for anyone at sea level considering maxima is probably cruising at an altitude many thousands of feet in the air? How far do sonic booms travel from a man sized projectile and still be capable of causing damage?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Would the smaller ones without trackers be far out at sea? Also, would sonic booms even be an issue for anyone at sea level considering maxima is probably cruising at an altitude many thousands of feet in the air? How far do sonic booms travel from a man sized projectile and still be capable of causing damage?
    Quite possibly. Some small sail boats does cross the oceans. Some nordic guy did in a reef boat once.
    And if Max is that high up her sonic boom isnt doing damage. Then no reason to stick to the sea.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quite possibly. Some small sail boats does cross the oceans. Some nordic guy did in a reef boat once.
    And if Max is that high up her sonic boom isnt doing damage. Then no reason to stick to the sea.
    Concorde was banned from supersonic flight over land, farmers said it upset their cattle, and that was enough. It's national law, not international, but it is pretty near universal and it applies.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Concorde was banned from supersonic flight over land, farmers said it upset their cattle, and that was enough. It's national law, not international, but it is pretty near universal and it applies.
    The only laws that apply to Maxima are the ones she chooses to follow, and in an emergency like this I think she'd be willing to annoy a few cows.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The only laws that apply to Maxima are the ones she chooses to follow, and in an emergency like this I think she'd be willing to annoy a few cows.
    Thats generally not how laws work, in fact. Doubly so as a member of the US military.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Thats generally not how laws work, in fact. Doubly so as a member of the US military.
    Laws work because the government can punish people for breaking them. Who exactly can punish Maxima if she decides she doesn't want to follow a certain law?

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Laws work because the government can punish people for breaking them. Who exactly can punish Maxima if she decides she doesn't want to follow a certain law?
    The rest of Archon probably. Dabbler was able to fight her to a standstill, so with a team behind her they collectively could probably win, though maybe not without casualties.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The rest of Archon probably. Dabbler was able to fight her to a standstill, so with a team behind her they collectively could probably win, though maybe not without casualties.
    Maybe Archon can defeat Maxima, but can they take her prisoner and hold her for an extended period of time? We don't know the details of how the in-comic US legal system has changed to accommodate superheroes, but I highly doubt it has gotten rid of trials.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If Kevin got some sort of trial, it happened entirely off camera.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If Kevin got some sort of trial, it happened entirely off camera.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    So?

The statement you are responding to is still completely accurate. If Kevin got a trial - that's past tense you know - it happened off-screen. Because we didn't see it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    So?

The statement you are responding to is still completely accurate. If Kevin got a trial - that's past tense you know - it happened off-screen. Because we didn't see it.
    The Glyphstone seemed to be implying that the fact that we haven't seen anything of Kevin's trial was evidence for the notions that supercriminals don't get trials. My post was a rebuttal of this notion.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Dabbler states in comic #968 that Vehemence "wasn't doing well in prison." This implies he was given a trial, because you only get sent to prison, as opposed to jail or some other form of pre-trial detention post-sentencing. Given the relatively short in-universe timeframe this suggests that Archon worked to expedite the trial proceedings or that Vehemence took some kind of plea deal. Plausibly, given the whole mind-control aspect of the brawl and messy overlap that would result, he simply pled to an extremely large number of counts of 'assaulting a federal officer' and 'destruction of property' - offenses where guilt is clear and easy to establish and was given a suitably lengthy prison term with the other charges never adjudicated.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

As i recall from author comment, Dabbler were able to pile on enough pressure to make Max tank up.
    What happens if they both take off the kid gloves are anyones guess.

But problem is there isnt really anything that can keep Max in a fight she dont want.

Dabbler states in comic #968 that Vehemence "wasn't doing well in prison." This implies he was given a trial, because you only get sent to prison, as opposed to jail or some other form of pre-trial detention post-sentencing. Given the relatively short in-universe timeframe this suggests that Archon worked to expedite the trial proceedings or that Vehemence took some kind of plea deal. Plausibly, given the whole mind-control aspect of the brawl and messy overlap that would result, he simply pled to an extremely large number of counts of 'assaulting a federal officer' and 'destruction of property' - offenses where guilt is clear and easy to establish and was given a suitably lengthy prison term with the other charges never adjudicated.
    I think the difference between prison and jail is slightly to pedantic for this comic. Im pretty certain a decent number of people use them as synonyms.

He did also mention being locked up because he was to dangerous to be allowed free when pleading the case for sending him into space.

30. - Top - End - #510

I think the more important factor here is that government officials such as cops often have the right to violate specific laws in an emergency, hence why they can run red lights and not have to ticket themselves. While acting internationally at the moment (which muddies certain aspects of what their jurisdiction is) archon is primarily an internal military/police force dedicated to the whole super criminal issue inside the united states. So its entirely likely that being told her headquarters is under attack would mean that maxima is authorized to get back to base as fast as is safely possible and so factors like laws against scaring cows will be waived for the duration. There may be issues if confirmable damage is done in the process, such as shattering windows and stampeding cattle trampling a petting zoo run by nuns and orphans, but a generic "you arent supposed to do that" wouldnt apply.

As for "who could arrest maxima?" Im sure that they have excessive plans in place after thorough study of maxima and her abilities, general strategies, and their limits, to take her in, along with anyone else, if needed. We have seen her be defeated in comic. Only being saved by sydney and her outside the box hyper ocd genre convention exploiting brain. Yes it took an excessive amount of prep and surprise to do, but I could see them super charging vehemence as much as possible then orbital dropping him on top of max to give her a brute that can match her physically while everyone else enacts whatever plan is needed to weaken her and take her down. He knows about her counter style now and can probably adjust for it. For all we know he can use his energy to turn into Luffy from One Piece and joint strikes will do nothing to his now rubber body. His powers seem to run on the basis of "Nuh uh! My guy can do THIS!" So its not impossible.