New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VII: Let Me Explain For The Next Thirty Comics!

And if you've never ever heard of her, she's just a big woman. Until she bricks you.
    The force of a falling person is distributed across the entire surface area, hundreds of square inches.
    The force of Anvil transferring that energy into her elbow is applied to a few square inches.
    It's the difference between lying on a bed of nails and stepping on a nail.
    Which one is more likely to put Large Black Garcon d'OR Brick down for the count?
    Yes. For example applied to a few square inches when Anvil drops on someone elbow first.
    But i am confused on what relation this have to my statement.

Since no. This does not make absorbing the elbow impact. Then delivering a new impact afterwards any more practical.
    Heck. We so far dont have any evidence Anvil is able to release kinetic energy from anything but her hands.
    Or as anything but an unfocused blast.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Concerning Anvil, she also absorbed an explosive blast here. As to how she can release that energy I am not sure, but she most likely channeled quite a lot of it here (same purple light rings as with the punch here).
    Last edited by Radar; 2022-11-16 at 03:29 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Oh actually. The text there explains Anvil's kinetic absorption ability isnt perfect.
    She can absorb explosions, but not bullets/shrapnel completely.

edit.
    New comic.
    I think it worked well.

edit 2.
    Credit is due. This comic is seriously freaky.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2022-11-21 at 09:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    edit 2.
    Credit is due. This comic is seriously freaky.
    Indeed. Very good page and quite a solid take on drawing unspeakable imagery. You can almost hear the pencil writing in SAN damage on character sheets of everyone in that room. Kind of reminds me of the scene where Sciona learned a thing or two about Vale.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Today's comic is funny, and today's commentariat raises some very good points about the existentially terrifying implications of having temporary clones with individual opinions.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

I do kinda hope this is a trap for Max of some sort.
    Since otherwise it would be a disappointing degree of incompetence from the villains.
    But at the same time, it does seem? like that facility is mostly stacked with expendable components.

At least right now i would say the most expensive thing there is the underground bunker.
    The guards are goon squad. And basically as expendable as its possible to get.
    While the Masked Morons we saw dont seem to be supers.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I do like the justification though, that Goon Squad's duplicates get stupider the more he spawns and its the fault of his bosses for over extending him like he is.

I think their only other real screw-up was not expecting a shape-shifting infiltrator. But that is very hard to predict+plan for since superhumans are so individually varied.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2022-11-28 at 11:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I do like the justification though, that Goon Squad's duplicates get stupider the more he spawns and its the fault of his bosses for over extending him like he is.

I think their only other real screw-up was not expecting a shape-shifting infiltrator. But that is very hard to predict+plan for since superhumans are so individually varied.
    Still, the interrogation cell should have some cameras in - someone outside of that room should observe the interrogation process and sound alarm immediately when things went south for the masked dudes.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I must agree that not having a window into the interrogation room is class-A dumb. It's "Legions of Terror have masks that obscure their faces" level of dumb.

And there's no trap that's going to trap all of Arc Swat. If you're planning on winning, you don't want to have the whole team show up ready for battle - and if you can win that, why didn't you just occupy Arc HQ anyway?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Not expecting a shape shifter here is kinda reasonable, since it was an extreme stroke of luck that allowed this replacement.
    After their leader had already fought Zephan to confirm his identity.
    So in case, not having a window into the interrogation room is kinda eh.
    Instead they had people with Zephan at all time. That seems like about the same thing.

What i am perhaps disappointed in. Is the lack of preparation for mind tricks.
    Thats the thing i would initially be most concerned about with a captive wizard like Zephan.
    Him doing mind-tricks on his interogator. So yeah, there should perhaps have been cameras for that.
    And it would have caught this episode as a happy accident.

The advantage of fighting Arc-Swat in your home base is obvious.
    That gives you terrain advantage. The ability to trap places. Or place cameras everywhere for an intelligence advantage.

But on second though. That they are not holding Zephan in more than a concrete bunker does reinforce the idea i think,
    that all of this is expendable. Just the raid itself is exceptionally risky. There is a million ways it could have failed in getting away cleanly.
    From either Dabbler doing some weird tracing. Or from an unexpected super power. best counter to that would just be to account for losing the raid base.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

But on second though. That they are not holding Zephan in more than a concrete bunker does reinforce the idea i think,
    that all of this is expendable. Just the raid itself is exceptionally risky. There is a million ways it could have failed in getting away cleanly.
    From either Dabbler doing some weird tracing. Or from an unexpected super power. best counter to that would just be to account for losing the raid base.
    Interestingly, this is also on Evil Overlord's List as the 10. entry: I will not interrogate my enemies in the inner sanctum — a small hotel well outside my borders will work just as well.

12. - Top - End - #702

SamuraiGuy

The wheels within wheels plotting would be to raid Archon, take something valuable and a hostage to an expendable base, wait for the massive counter-strike, and then hit Archon HQ again while everyone is smashing the expendable base, and get the thing you really want (e.g., Dabbler's lab).

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes he gets a bit lost in the minutia but I do appreciate scenes like this where they fill in the little details of things like rules of engagement.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #704

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Sometimes he gets a bit lost in the minutia but I do appreciate scenes like this where they fill in the little details of things like rules of engagement.
    And the priorities for the team: don't let the building be blown to smithereens, rescue the hostages, seal off egress points. Then kill or capture all the Ascenders.

I guess it make sense that in a world with Supers, some rich folk would say "I want that! I should be able to buy super powers, because my wealth proves ipso facto that I'm a superior person! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!". Demand for a product tends to create supply (somewhere, J.B. Say weeps).

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

I am in turn kinda disappointed, that they were after all dumb enough to take their prize and hide it in one of their bases.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am in turn kinda disappointed, that they were after all dumb enough to take their prize and hide it in one of their bases.
    As opposed to hiding it out in the middle of some random town somewhere? Acting as a secure location is literally the point of a base.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Actually yeah.
    Point being, as Maxima is about to demonstrate. This base is not a very secure location.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Actually yeah.
    Point being, as Maxima is about to demonstrate. This base is not a very secure location.
    In what way?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In what way?
    In the context that Maxima exists and the rest of the world has not quite caught up to the she changes the context of this bull****. The only security is obscurity and a prayer, and the rest of the world is going to learn that good opsec is an airgap even in a situation is high tension and security as this one you are better off risking a prisoner escape because you had them in a less secure location then you are leading Maxima to your house. Now, you may personally have a pretty solid Maxima counter plan with the access to the right supers or solid training and coordination for a squad of lesser powers... or you might be better off bumping that down to plan C.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

In what way?
    It's not armored against having a Maxima bunker-buster her way through the ceiling. Clearly a prime requirement for security that should be the first thing any secret base builder thinks about.

.. more seriously, tho, Chimeryiad was able to find and relay a -lot- of information about the base very quickly, which implies a lot of issues with operational security and communications control inside the base. Likely because most of the base is 'guarded' or operated by Ted duplicates that are individually both really dumb and conditioned to obey orders from anybody wearing the mask and cowl outfit - Chimeryiad can probably get into pretty much anywhere by confidently ordering the local Ted to open a door for them.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It's not armored against having a Maxima bunker-buster her way through the ceiling. Clearly a prime requirement for security that should be the first thing any secret base builder thinks about.

.. more seriously, tho, Chimeryiad was able to find and relay a -lot- of information about the base very quickly, which implies a lot of issues with operational security and communications control inside the base. Likely because most of the base is 'guarded' or operated by Ted duplicates that are individually both really dumb and conditioned to obey orders from anybody wearing the mask and cowl outfit - Chimeryiad can probably get into pretty much anywhere by confidently ordering the local Ted to open a door for them.
    Eh, its hard to say. Most bases arent designed against their own operatives having access, and Chimeryiad presumably also has any access cards that the guy had on him. Password locks are going to be the hardest thing to defeat here, but given the secret nature of the base its uncertain how much sophisticated hardware they were able to bring in, since they apparently dont even have a camera inside the interrogation cell.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    To be fair, very few things are Maxima proof.
    Maybe they should've build their secret lair under a 24/7 daycare and bunny hospital.
    Still no better than tissue paper, but seriously bad PR for Archon to attack.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

23. - Top - End - #713
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, they have several features that could count as "anti maxima" Primarily the human shields and the self destruct. They wont stop maxima per say, but they will keep her from going too crazy because there are innocent people here and its a large complex that could be blown at any moment. Plus apparently MANY escape tunnels that probably each lead to fast and inconspicuous means of egress. From the state. The general goal isnt to stop superman, its to slow him down long enough to escape or at least destroy evidence. No security is absolute, and every operation you take part in has to balance risk versus reward with every decision. They clearly feel they can extract the info they need from the good shen wu sorcerer and then make use of it, before they can be uncovered. For all we know, this is a huge organization that has multiple cells of supers under its control and multiple bases so if this one is lost, no big deal. They are clearly prepared to destroy it rather than let it be taken.

Also, recall that the only reason they are in any danger right now is because of an INVISIBLE SHAPE SHIFTING CREATURE who by sheer chance happened to be in the right spot at the right moment to switch places with our more vulnerable fellow and did so. To avoid that is a level of paranoia planning I think batman would excuse not considering.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, I think this base with the human test subject hostages and the multiple escape tunnels is the most Maxima-resilient base possible without being designed from the ground up with that purpose in mind, and I don't think anyone except maybe Deus has had the time or resources to do that yet.

And even he hasn't tried anything like Maxima-proofing his fortress. I almost think that half the reason he's obsessed with seducing Maxima is just because there's no better way to negate her presence in the field than through emotional manipulation, which might work fine until it suddenly stops working.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

The only security is obscurity and a prayer, and the rest of the world is going to learn that good opsec is an airgap even in a situation is high tension and security as this one you are better off risking a prisoner escape because you had them in a less secure location then you are leading Maxima to your house
    Yeah basically what i would have said, just better phrased.
    Where i then would add, in general when your a criminal organization, the only security is obscurity.
    At least when your base is in freaking Texas

To be fair, very few things are Maxima proof.
    Issue is, its not even US army proof, only resistant.

Also, recall that the only reason they are in any danger right now is because of an INVISIBLE SHAPE SHIFTING CREATURE who by sheer chance happened to be in the right spot at the right moment to switch places with our more vulnerable fellow and did so. To avoid that is a level of paranoia planning I think batman would excuse not considering.
    Actually its a visible shapeshifting woman. Chimeryiad has been refered to as her. And cant turn invisible.
    And the critique of these goons competence is more that just 1 single thing needed to go wrong.
    In this case it was grabbing a visible shapechanger instead of middle aged nerd.

But it could have been a myriad of other things to go wrong.
    Like Dabbler secretly bonking Zen and having an empathic link towards her favorite squeaky toy.
    To someone placing a tracking beacon on a cloak. To an invisible person (X) sneaking along.
    To even just Max or Halo getting back early and deciding "huh i wonder where these helicoptors are going"

At the same time. If they have 20 of these hidden bases. And mostly made them with a geokineticist.
    Then i withdraw the critique. This location is still expendable on the scope they are operating on.

26. - Top - End - #716

SamuraiGuy

Yeah basically what i would have said, just better phrased.
    Where i then would add, in general when your a criminal organization, the only security is obscurity.
    At least when your base is in freaking Texas

Issue is, its not even US army proof, only resistant.

Actually its a visible shapeshifting woman. Chimeryiad has been refered to as her. And cant turn invisible.
    And the critique of these goons competence is more that just 1 single thing needed to go wrong.
    In this case it was grabbing a visible shapechanger instead of middle aged nerd.

But it could have been a myriad of other things to go wrong.
    Like Dabbler secretly bonking Zen and having an empathic link towards her favorite squeaky toy.
    To someone placing a tracking beacon on a cloak. To an invisible person (X) sneaking along.
    To even just Max or Halo getting back early and deciding "huh i wonder where these helicoptors are going"

At the same time. If they have 20 of these hidden bases. And mostly made them with a geokineticist.
    Then i withdraw the critique. This location is still expendable on the scope they are operating on.
    We know that the Ascenders have wealthy patrons and therefore could have many bases. How "disposable" is this one?
    Now if there are rich non-supers present, that's a major screw up. They showed up and tried to kill Archon members, this response should not surprise them.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Well it can be i think to small scale.
    Initially a 10 floor underground base looks like a major facility though.
    At the very least, there being captured supers there means there is stuff to lose.
    Supers isnt directly cheap or common.

The ship they had concretia on i think is close to the ideal solution.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Nitpick: They were actually two persons: X and Chimyriad.
    X is invisible, Chimyriad the shape-shifter.

X was just invisible all the time.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    We know that the Ascenders have wealthy patrons and therefore could have many bases. How "disposable" is this one?
    Now if there are rich non-supers present, that's a major screw up. They showed up and tried to kill Archon members, this response should not surprise them.
    Not realizing that people might take a murder/kidnapping seriously enough to retaliate is exactly the kind of poor judgement people with enough money to pay for this stuff out of pocket would have.

30. - Top - End - #720

SamuraiGuy

Not realizing that people might take a murder/kidnapping seriously enough to retaliate is exactly the kind of poor judgement people with enough money to pay for this stuff out of pocket would have.
    You mean that people who are accustomed to buying their way out of legal trouble don't realize that their lawyers can't take Maxima's punch for them?