New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power VII: Let Me Explain For The Next Thirty Comics!

In the real world, a colonel would not engage on one side of a military battle without permission. Not even, or maybe even especially, if they had a personal grudge against one side.

But this is cool and I look forward to the epic throwdown between Max and Darude. And he is attacking civilians (and everyone else in the area).

Panel 2, it looks like Tom is wielding a ginormous glaive against some guys with assault rifles. I wonder how vulnerable Tom is to bullets? What if they are silver bullets?
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2022-06-16 at 08:24 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    In the real world, a colonel would not engage on one side of a military battle without permission. Not even, or maybe even especially, if they had a personal grudge against one side.

But this is cool and I look forward to the epic throwdown between Max and Darude. And he is attacking civilians (and everyone else in the area).

Panel 2, it looks like Tom is wielding a ginormous glaive against some guys with assault rifles. I wonder how vulnerable Tom is to bullets? What if they are silver bullets?
    Its not entirely unreasonable for Max to assume that Darude is here specifically with the intention of attacking her, in which case absent explicit orders to disengage I'm pretty sure she has the authority to decide to defend herself.

And frankly, even if he isnt there for her, he's being so indiscriminate she can probably still claim she was simply engaged by an unknown hostile and was defending herself. Its not like she can politely identify herself as American and ask him to please not hit her team with the giant sandstorm of death while the leave the country.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its not entirely unreasonable for Max to assume that Darude is here specifically with the intention of attacking her, in which case absent explicit orders to disengage I'm pretty sure she has the authority to decide to defend herself.
    Lets be honest here, she is a super hero. Her rank doesn't mean the same things that it might in a more traditional command structure, and going out to personally punch someone who has been presented as her actual factual Nemesis when he shows up with an army to attack the building she is in would likely qualify as self defense, but the more specific concern would be Archons rules of engagement. We never got the details for that kind of thing outside of explicitly stating they are outside the scope of Posse Comitatus, and they are meant to be a domestic facing law enforcement org so they might not have clear rules for what to do here. Clearly Max's orders on the ground to not engage outside of specific conditions would override all that anyways, but she herself would have the latitude to ignore her mission own specific orders so long as she stayed on the correct end of the law and Archons general rules.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a super close enough to Maxima's level to have survived her doing her best to kill him that explosion was hardly a attack anyway.
    More like a (relatively*) friendly greeting.

*They are still enemies after all.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    With a super close enough to Maxima's level to have survived her doing her best to kill him that explosion was hardly a attack anyway.
    More like a (relatively*) friendly greeting.

*They are still enemies after all.
    I'm betting that much like Dabbler when he fought her to a standstill it was more about cheating the fight then being able to actually match her. Ten imaginary internet dollars he is just sitting under the sand somewhere relatively safe while his doom death sand storm tries to wear her down.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I'm betting that much like Dabbler when he fought her to a standstill it was more about cheating the fight then being able to actually match her. Ten imaginary internet dollars he is just sitting under the sand somewhere relatively safe while his doom death sand storm tries to wear her down.
    Or he is basically Crocodile from One Piece and so long as his entire sand infused body isnt obliterated, he can recover from just about anything she does. I do wonder if this might also fall under old orders as well. As was said, this is someone she has fought to the presumed death before, and here he is again. Were her orders to engage this particular target ever revoked? But yeah, this is one of those things thats probably a violation of the rules in a variety of ways. As was said, they are generally speaking, an internal super police force. LAPD should not be arresting people in mozambique. Yes, even if they did spot some criminals doing criminal things. By all rights, the entire arcswat crew should have bubbled up and left. This is just a whole pile of diplomatic incidents and laws broken.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

The way the seemingly sentient sand cloud has eyes does at least leave it as a posibility this guy is like Crocodille, or marvels Sandman.
    Though its also possible its a bluff of some sort.

While yeah. LAPD does not have any authorithy outside of USA.
    But one could assume this would fall somewhat in beneath general rules of self defence.
    Especially when they are in the path of the attack.

Well. And of course it also helps its likely easier to arrest Superman than to arrest Max.
    (more likely Superman will play along)
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Yea I hadn't even considering the "I am the sand now" method of tanking Max's blasts. Also the LAPD comparison is off, they are a military branch not just police officers. That comes with a set of specific international laws and rules that govern them that wouldn't apply to the LAPD.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

The key issue with Archon's involvement depends on the nature of the conflict. Specifically, if this is actually an attempt by some sovereign state to attack Galytn or whether it's just a bunch of militaristic opportunists employed via plausible deniable means. In the former case this is a war between two sovereign nations and Archon's intervention on behalf of one side (as opposed to simply secure US assets and escape the combat zone) represents an extremely clear act of war. In the latter case, this is just terrorism, and Archon is simply rendering aid to the local government to suppress terrorists, which can be easily excused given some legal massaging - specifically, Maxima would need to get retroactive approval from Deus and that General she reports to for this action, but if she actually manages to capture/kill Darude, that's almost certainly forthcoming.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Well they have clearly failed to identify themselves or declare war?
    So a decent argument can be made for "looked like terrorists, were attacking civilians"

And Max already did get Deus implicit approval with the gas mask he lend her.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    The way the seemingly sentient sand cloud has eyes does at least leave it as a posibility this guy is like Crocodille, or marvels Sandman.
    Though its also possible its a bluff of some sort.

While yeah. LAPD does not have any authorithy outside of USA.
    But one could assume this would fall somewhat in beneath general rules of self defence.
    Especially when they are in the path of the attack.

Well. And of course it also helps its likely easier to arrest Superman than to arrest Max.
    (more likely Superman will play along)
    The self defense thing is a bit wonky, because, at least in the states, there is a wide variety of what constitutes self defense. For example, the duty to retreat. In some states you cant use self defense as a claim in court if you had the opportunity to get out of there and didnt take it. And considering the fact that both max and sydney are capable of evacuating at several times the speed of sound, including carrying the rest of their team.... It would probably hold up in this scenario overall, unless there was some sort of vindictive prosecution going on, but still. Upon further research, only 15 states have a duty to retreat law, the rest have variations of castle doctrine or stand your ground meaning no you dont have to run away, you can defend yourself without being cornered first. So yeah, probably be ok overall with self defense, thought more states had duty to retreat than that making it more of a coin toss on a federal level.

And Dragon, yes they are also military, but they are a primarily internal military/police group. Hence ARCSWAT instead of ARCARINES, or ARCFORCE, or ARCMY. But then, its left kinda up in the air the specific limits and rules they abide by, probably intentionally just for scenarios like this so we cant go "Hey! According to comic 675, they legally cant do blah blah blah, so why are they here?!" Technically supers arent supposed to be deployed in other nations, but thats primarily talking about invasions, probably not defending an area as a visiting super if it should be attacked while you are there.

Overall I get the feeling that even if technically max is in the wrong here and they should have bugged out, nothing bad will happen because deus is probably happy max is doing this and will be lodging a formal thanks, and the american government doesnt want to poke their most powerful reliable super for fighting one of her biggest threats when given the chance.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Overall I get the feeling that even if technically max is in the wrong here and they should have bugged out, nothing bad will happen because deus is probably happy max is doing this and will be lodging a formal thanks, and the american government doesnt want to poke their most powerful reliable super for fighting one of her biggest threats when given the chance.
    Pretty much my thoughts on this. If the country, on which terrain it is all happening, welcomes help instead of huffing over meddling in internal affairs, necessary paperwork and legal way will be taken care of even if some of it would have to be done retroactively.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Is it even technically so? is also the argument to be made that Max's crew were spread to far out to be evacuated in time.
    Of course in the end it hardly matters. Since the relevant parts are Deus's laws.

Whats perhaps more interesting is the comming fight?
    Look like it will be a slapfight? Neither side can really touch the other right now.

14. - Top - End - #224

Id imagine thats going to change soonish, after all, there is a reason she remembers this guy, and somehow I doubt it was because she wasted 8 hours dogfighting with him only to get nowhere. It IS possible this is a stamina fight where the first person to get tired loses. Like, it takes energy to blast, and energy to reform. Whose move is more efficient? As a random point, it occurs to me that maxima might be vulnerable to a deus double cross right now. Unlike most of the other gear he and his company provide to archon, this one hasnt been examined before use. I could see a sleep gas pellet get released inside her mask at a bad moment dropping her like a stone. Im not saying he WILL do that, just pointing out the window of opportunity is there. And with the confusion of a sentient sandstorm and enemy merc attack going on, it would be childs play to make her vanish.

15. - Top - End - #225

SamuraiGuy

Id imagine thats going to change soonish, after all, there is a reason she remembers this guy, and somehow I doubt it was because she wasted 8 hours dogfighting with him only to get nowhere. It IS possible this is a stamina fight where the first person to get tired loses. Like, it takes energy to blast, and energy to reform. Whose move is more efficient? As a random point, it occurs to me that maxima might be vulnerable to a deus double cross right now. Unlike most of the other gear he and his company provide to archon, this one hasnt been examined before use. I could see a sleep gas pellet get released inside her mask at a bad moment dropping her like a stone. Im not saying he WILL do that, just pointing out the window of opportunity is there. And with the confusion of a sentient sandstorm and enemy merc attack going on, it would be childs play to make her vanish.
    Deus does have an unhealthy fascination with bedding Max, so he might try something like that; but she's an extremely difficult person to keep as a prisoner, and an even more difficult person to coerce into sex. I'm guessing that he's not going to try it. I think we're going to see Halo save Max somehow, either by use of Halo powers, or by use of trope knowledge.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Deus does have an unhealthy fascination with bedding Max, so he might try something like that; but she's an extremely difficult person to keep as a prisoner, and an even more difficult person to coerce into sex. I'm guessing that he's not going to try it. I think we're going to see Halo save Max somehow, either by use of Halo powers, or by use of trope knowledge.
    I wasnt thinking about sex. I was just thinking that if he had any nefarious schemes in mind that required maxima removed from the board for a time, that this would be a great opportunity, and is totally something he would be able to arrange. Either directly as in "Yo Darude, got a job for you" Or indirectly as in, "Lets see, I made the announcement on x date, which means archon will send a representative, and its about 99.53% certain maxima will be a part of it. Ive also been poking the hornets nest in darudes territory so I expect a response" yadda yadda. And yeah, I could totally see Halo going,
    "Yo Anvil! Toss that water tanker truck at Darude! Max! Blow the tanker truck!"
    /a couple hours later
    "So Sydney, what made you think that would work?"
    "Comic/anime logic. Dudes made of and can control sand. Muds not sand, should weaken him or even trap him."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wasnt thinking about sex. I was just thinking that if he had any nefarious schemes in mind that required maxima removed from the board for a time, that this would be a great opportunity, and is totally something he would be able to arrange. Either directly as in "Yo Darude, got a job for you" Or indirectly as in, "Lets see, I made the announcement on x date, which means archon will send a representative, and its about 99.53% certain maxima will be a part of it. Ive also been poking the hornets nest in darudes territory so I expect a response" yadda yadda. And yeah, I could totally see Halo going,
    /a couple hours later
    "Comic/anime logic. Dudes made of and can control sand. Muds not sand, should weaken him or even trap him."
    Actually, thats not a terrible idea. Even if mud is still sand, now he also has to haul all that water around with it too, and water is heavy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts on this. If the country, on which terrain it is all happening, welcomes help instead of huffing over meddling in internal affairs, necessary paperwork and legal way will be taken care of even if some of it would have to be done retroactively.
    I don't think the laws are the problem there more the headlines and international relations.

"Is Africa's newest dictator allied with the USA? Or an direct agent?

A counter strike against Deus expansion was just foiled by a team of Americas strongest supers. Deus, an US citizen, has taken over an kingdom and is now expanding it via military force. The USA has been denying any connection, but these newest development leads to questions whether he is truly an independent despot or the US government is engaging in colonialism by proxy."

Or something like that.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2022-06-20 at 09:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

The self defense thing is a bit wonky, because, at least in the states, there is a wide variety of what constitutes self defense.
    This is a question of international law, which has very different standards for "self defense", this is also why them being a military branch is important even if they are technically meant to be aimed inward as an organization.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Actually, thats not a terrible idea. Even if mud is still sand, now he also has to haul all that water around with it too, and water is heavy.
    A part of me wonders if he is like concretia and his spirit can inhabit sand, or if he is like crocodile and just IS sand as well as able to manipulate it. There are so many interesting potential outcomes of turning sand to mud depending on how his powers work. It could expose the real him if he cant inhabit mud for example, leaving him open to attack. Or, if he is a logia style of power, turning his entire form to mud could literally trap him in place, unable to move or escape or do anything till he dries out. If he can manipulate sand from a distance, then soaking him would be a temp fix, as he brings in fresh sand to basically dry out the soaked area.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

And yeah, I could totally see Halo going,
    /a couple hours later
    Mud is really not sand, it's not wet sand either. There are beaches near here that are sand on a slope for about a couple of hundred yards at the top, then mud for miles, Mud is sticky horrible stuff, with a much finer grain size than sand, and you wouldn't mistake the two.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

"Is Africa's newest dictator allied with the USA? Or an direct agent?

A counter strike against Deus expansion was just foiled by a team of Americas strongest supers. Deus, an US citizen, has taken over an kingdom and is now expanding it via military force. The USA has been denying any connection, but these newest development leads to questions whether he is truly an independent despot or the US government is engaging in colonialism by proxy."
    This is likely what should be the actually biggest isue with Max engaging Daruda now.
    Good point.

/a couple hours later
    To be technical that just gets you wet sand. Mud is made of earth and water.
    And im also not certain a tanker truck would be anything but a drop in the ocean when it comes to a sandstorm of this size.

23. - Top - End - #233

SamuraiGuy

This is likely what should be the actually biggest isue with Max engaging Daruda now.
    Good point.

To be technical that just gets you wet sand. Mud is made of earth and water.
    And im also not certain a tanker truck would be anything but a drop in the ocean when it comes to a sandstorm of this size.
    It think the best you can hope for is to gradually remove sand from the storm, a few hundred pounds at a time.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah and in turn, its quite possible he can just pick up fresh sand. Its desert all over the place.
    I guess in the end we dont know enough about his powers.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah and in turn, its quite possible he can just pick up fresh sand. Its desert all over the place.
    It's actually savannah.

Galytn's capital is supposed to be in the southernmost portion of Malawi. Darude and co. arrive by coming over the Matundwe Range to the west, and in the shot in #1053 where Darude is initially shown, there's an appropriate amount of green vegetation in the foreground. Admittedly, the area where this fight is taking place appears to be quite open, probably because it's either been cleared for industrial development or Supers target practice, but the nearest actual desert is the Kalahari, hundreds of miles to the west.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2022-06-20 at 07:24 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

With the place i meant afrika.
    But perhaps alternatively i should have mentioned there are sand all over the place.

27. - Top - End - #237

SamuraiGuy

With the place i meant afrika.
    But perhaps alternatively i should have mentioned there are sand all over the place.
    There might be some sand down by the river, but I think this part of Africa is more likely to feature grassy prairie. It's Kansas, not the Sahara.

Of course, Darude may be able to use any loose particles. Dirt, pollen, shredded bits of pitiful mortals, all grist for his mill.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Im not a soil expert. But im decently certain grassy prarie has a rather high sand content in its soil?

29. - Top - End - #239

He could also be like Garra from naruto and be able to grind down stone to make more sand wherever he goes. Being in a desert just saves him a little setup time. He could fight you on the rocky mountains and be at full saharah sandstorm levels of material in a few minutes.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Relevant point. We just dont actually know enough about him.
    Heck he could actually be a geokineticist and just use sand for theme.