New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Everything Everywhere All At Once

I've been hyped for this one since I saw the trailer, and it was everything I wanted it to be. My fiance, on the other hand, wasn't impressed at all by the trailer and said the movie ended up being much better than he expected from that.

It's definitely a chaotic movie, it can get a little overwhelming in spots with how visually busy it is, but I didn't mind that too much since it fits the theme. I enjoyed the action scenes, laughed at several of the admittedly really goofy and kind of dumb gags, and felt catharsis from the emotional moments, so all in all I was pretty happy.

Also, the costumes. Even the ones that aren't full on popstar madness are just really solid, that "punk" sweater from the party was great.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once

I saw it last night. That was fun. I needed the fun, and the emotions. I left the theater feeling better about life. Eurus, I agree with your description of the movie. Even some of the goofy and dumb gags played important roles.

I am disappointed this movie hasn't seen more discussion at my favorite internet hangouts. For some reason it doesn't resonate enough with nerds?

I did not recognize Jamie Curtis at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah, this is a really good movie. I've always been a fan of movies that aim for the fences and put it all out there, and this movie certainly did. Lots of laughs but also a lot of emotional moments and stuff to think about.

I know it only April, but I am not expecting to see another movie this year that I like more.
    Last edited by Ranxerox; 2022-04-25 at 11:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This movie is a live action episode of Rick and Morty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I dream of a crossover!!

With Deadpool and Dr Strange

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Loved it. Michelle Yeoh is phenomenal as always, and of course Jamie Lee Curtis and James Hong kick butt in everything they're in. But for me, the true standout was the triumphant return of Ke Huy Quan (Data from Goonies/Short Round from Indiana Jones) to a major Hollywood movie and he absolutely nailed every scene he was in. Best Supporting Actor for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Loved it. Michelle Yeoh is phenomenal as always, and of course Jamie Lee Curtis and James Hong kick butt in everything they're in. But for me, the true standout was the triumphant return of Ke Huy Quan (Data from Goonies/Short Round from Indiana Jones) to a major Hollywood movie and he absolutely nailed every scene he was in. Best Supporting Actor for sure.
    And, while Michelle Yeoh was the protagonist, I'd say Wayland was the heart of the movie;

Spoiler
    Show
    it was more or less a validation of his philosophy of kindness.

I was paralyzed with laughter a couple points, and will say... you have to admire Jump Guy's aim.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I saw this a little more than twenty-four hours ago, and I still haven't quite recovered.

It's as though Douglas Adams and Monty Python converted to Buddhism and then decided to collaborate on an Asian martial arts film where Jamie Lee Curtis beats up Jackie Chan, then makes out a bit with Michelle Yeoh.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    I saw this a little more than twenty-four hours ago, and I still haven't quite recovered.

It's as though Douglas Adams and Monty Python converted to Buddhism and then decided to collaborate on an Asian martial arts film where Jamie Lee Curtis beats up Jackie Chan, then makes out a bit with Michelle Yeoh.
    That is an excellent description.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

I'm a little embarrassed at how it took me to identify Ke Huy Quan. I knew it wasn't actually Jackie Chan, despite the parkour immediately making me wonder if I'd somehow misidentified him, but then I couldn't place the face and voice. Then it suddenly hit me.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ke Huy Quan absolutely stole the show, which is a tough thing to do with such a wonderful cast.

This film was an absolute delight. I've been thinking about it a lot the last month. The acting, the writing, the worldbuilding -- all of the funny bits were the right kind of funny, the good kind of funny that suddenly jumps out and surprises you with insight. Michelle Yeoh did an amazing job with the physical comedy of the world-switching gags. The hot dog gag, against all odds, kept getting funnier instead of grosser...and then somehow wrapped back around to sentimental??

I can't remember the last time a movie just pulled me along for the journey like this. Start to finish, it was just so good.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    I'm a little embarrassed at how it took me to identify Ke Huy Quan. I knew it wasn't actually Jackie Chan, despite the parkour immediately making me wonder if I'd somehow misidentified him, but then I couldn't place the face and voice. Then it suddenly hit me.
    Like a boxing glove from a trenchcoat?

To be fair to you, he dropped out of acting for almost 20 years because Asian actors simply weren't getting good roles.

EDIT: Holy cow, he was a fight choreographer and stunt rigger on X-men.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2022-06-17 at 10:29 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Ke Huy Quan absolutely stole the show, which is a tough thing to do with such a wonderful cast.
    Him turning up as a major player in the upcoming Indy movie would probably be the easiest way to get me excited about it. Agreed he was amazing here.

Yeah, I watched this movie when it hit streaming and it's stuck in my head like few movies do. Seemed like almost a direct rebuttal to Multiverse of Madness and addressed a lot of the problems I had with that film.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    And here I thought it was just a better version of The Matrix.

Anyway, I really liked it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: thread re-opened.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

16. - Top - End - #16

Big congrats to all the stars and creators of this film after last night's Academy Awards!

Called it

But I wasn't expecting the sheer volume of awards this film would receive. On top of nearly sweeping the Oscars, even before last night it surpassed LotR-RotK as most awarded film ever.

Ke Huy Quan's speech had me tearing up and Michelle Yeoh's was a triumph!
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-03-13 at 09:43 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17

Huh. I missed that the academy awards were on, apparently. Usually I hear them mentioned at least somewhere.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

So glad to see them basically sweep the Oscars. I saw this movie in theatres on a whim and loved it to tears. It made me actually want to go to movies again - so winning a bunch of Oscars is an appropriate response in my book!

Particularly loved Ke Huy Quan & Michelle Yeoh so I'm particularly happy for their wins. Very well deserved.

19. - Top - End - #19

Just saw the local independent cinema put it on again. I saw it at some point last year, tempted to go watch it again, there's nothing else in the cinemas anyway.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just saw the local independent cinema put it on again. I saw it at some point last year, tempted to go watch it again, there's nothing else in the cinemas anyway.
    It's on Showtime+ if you don't want to make a theater trip. You can do the free trial, watch it and cancel. (My friend did this so can confirm.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

It's on Showtime+ if you don't want to make a theater trip. You can do the free trial, watch it and cancel. (My friend did this so can confirm.)
    That's pretty much how we get all of our access. Legit strat. Just plan to binge for a couple days.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread