New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fictional situations that you'd almost certainly die in.

Quote Originally Posted by ereinion View Post
    Would the friction heat generated (in the muscles / body or maaaaybe from air resistance) by someone running at more than 700 km/h be enough to kill this person instead of the pyroclastic flow?
    I mean, I don't know that it runs at maximum velocity as a constant, but assuming I'm close enough to the danger to warrant a hasty retreat, I'm almost certain I won't make it at any rate.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Pretty much what the title says. We root for heroes and often yell at people making dumb mistakes. What situation (from a movie, tv, book, etc.) do you think would almost certainly get you killed.

My big example: Nightmare on Elm Street. I am NOT a lucid dreamer, and have NEVER realized i was dreaming until after I woke. Pretty sure Freddy could have a field day with me and I would never realize I was dreaming, so no chance of waking myself up.
    The more aggressive versions of high school musicals: I'm the weird kid and nobody likes the weird kid. Yes, I'm fit enough to flee, but when surrounded by muscle houses with knives I would have no chance.
    Also being an action protagonist: I would not have the flexibility of body.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I hear tell that merely living in Cabot Cove is detrimental to one's health.
    You win the thread, I fear.

There's a larger point buried in your devastating quip: who we'd end up being in the fictional scenarios matters greatly. The vast majority of people in the Star Trek universe live pretty nice lives, but the life expectancy for a low-level crewmember isn't all that great, and their deaths tend to be horrible.

Jessica Fletcher has nothing to fear, but she's the protagonist. We wouldn't be protagonists. We'd be guest stars at best, and probably extras.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    You win the thread, I fear.
    HUZZAH!
    There's a larger point buried in your devastating quip: who we'd end up being in the fictional scenarios matters greatly. The vast majority of people in the Star Trek universe live pretty nice lives, but the life expectancy for a low-level crewmember isn't all that great, and their deaths tend to be horrible.

Jessica Fletcher has nothing to fear, but she's the protagonist. We wouldn't be protagonists. We'd be guest stars at best, and probably extras.
    Yep. One of my favorite reviews of Columbo read something very close to "A homicide detective investigates LA's rich and famous, who commit murder at a shockingly high rate".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the life expectancy of low-level crew on the Enterprise at any rate, but it's a statistical anomaly within its own universe. The rest of Starfleet doesn't accumulate anything like its casualty level.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I don't think any suits have them, and the propulsion backpack might have seen some testing but isn't really in regular use either. The standard safety method for spacewalks is 'don't do anything even remotely un-cautious.' Honestly, even without missing the grip in that jumping scene, the guy was at risk of ripping his suit. Space is crazy risky and you don't do anything spontaneous. It's also crazy boring, which is why Hollywood spices it up.
    At the end of The Martian,
    Spoiler
    Show
    in the book, everyone not actively involved in the rescue is manning some important part of the spacecraft, and Watney comments that when they make a movie out of what happened to him, the crew would all be waiting anxiously in the airlock.

And in the movie, they're doing just that!
    The DMG does not mandate 6-8 encounters per day.