New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC III

Spoiler: Destro, Leon
    Show
    "Not enough to recreate it, but enough to know what to look for," Hannabel chuckled darkly. "The Countess has always relied on hereteks before. It's possible that the one Alia killed was also involved in recreating the process, but if so he was clearly not fully up to the task. My creator had few equals in this field," she added, sounding almost proud.

"My own and Alia's origins are not the most important matter, however. We are both merely means to an end for the Countess. You see, her singular obsession in life is the perpetuation of her own existence, and with the aid of people like my creator, she has already prolonged her lifespan for hundreds of years. All she needs is a properly prepared vessel and she can transfer her consciousness to a fresh body when her current one wears out. I do not know how that process works, but I do know that when it is done, only the Countess remains. The mind, the spirit - the soul - of the vessel is gone forever. And Alia and I...we were created to be the Countess' vessels," Hannabel explained, her voice quivering with suppressed anger.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

+++ Episode 9 +++

With the business on Scintilla wrapped up, and business in Calixis set to do the same, the ship broke orbit. Shuttles full of pilgrims had been running up to the ship for most of the last few days, and these were being duly settled into otherwise unoccupied and out of the way sections of the ship. Places where they couldn't get into much trouble, primarily. Galimina had promised to keep an eye on them, in any case. The ship seemed pleased to be getting away from Scintilla, and heading back to the expanse. The plasma drives burned hot, and apart from one stop at a navy base to register some paperwork for the Terminus, they didn't need to go out of the way for anything. This was accomplished with a minimum of fuss, thanks partly to the groundwork they had already laid on Scintilla, and partly to Macharius' connections.

Then, almost before they really knew it, they were back to Port Wander. There would be customs inspections to get through, a final farewell to the sector in the form of mountains of paperwork, but there had been plenty of time to pre-fill forms on the trip over. There were also plenty of minor tasks around the ship, and administrative things to take care of, in preparation for the ship's transition back to the Expanse.

Spoiler: Anika
    Show
    Anika had recieved a few vague promises of reports on the Kindjals, but the only one she felt especially confident in was the one from her mother. That one, of course, was expected to come with the usual amount of complaining, but given Macharius' recent successes, and especially the highly publicised unmasking of the Stalker and the significant prestige boost it had carried, Lady Vanhal couldn't complain too much. Anika got the impression she was rather enjoying being able to associate herself with House Absalom, for the moment.

Spoiler: Echo Only
    Show
    Echo was visited, one day, by Galimina. The construct arrived at the Navigator's chambers at a time when she knew he would be unoccupied - she was the ship, and he couldn't really hide when he had downtime. Rather than simply opening the door and walking in, however, she knocked at the entrance and waited for him to answer.

"The Mistress of Many Faces informs me it is considered polite to announce oneself on arrival," she said, by way of an introduction. "I do not understand well, as until recently my means of announcement primarily involved laser batteries, and my skillset leans more to subterfuge. However, I am making the effort to learn. You have been... withdrawn. This is normal for Navigators, but does not match historical datasets concerning your activity."

She stopped, watching silently and waiting for a response.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Family

In exchange for making some vague promises that she'll get round to dealing with her marital status at some point Anika will make sure her mother at least understands not to trust the Kindjals even if she was able to pass on anything that Alia might be involved with. She'll also ask her to pass on her love to various family members that weren't currently on Scintilla.

Pilgrims

With the excuse of getting the pilgrim's settled into their quarters Anika will get a look at them in person. At the very least she will go to get a look at the people in charge and to assess how well armed they seemed.

Spoiler: Rax & Destro
    Show

Assuming no one comes to tell her about it first Anika will go and see Hannabel in private. 'The samples you took from Alia. I presume Ravia has results already? I could probably go and ask her about that but it's technically none of my business.' Anika says while clearly intruding herself on someone else's business. 'Did you find what you were looking for?'

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Destro, Rax
    Show

++Hmm, well that is something at least++
    ++Do you know or have an idea as to why she ceased to utilize the services of your creator?++

Spoiler: this is on the assumption that we have seen the letter, if this is before that ignore this one
    Show
    ++Would it be that the countesses sudden passing is but a ploy to assume control of a wayward asset?++

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Destro, Leon
    Show
    OOC: I was originally working on the assumption that Ravia's and Hannabel's conversation took place before or during the party, but since we've now moved on IC I think we should shift to the idea that the party's over and the contents of the letter has been communicated to Ravia and Hannabel - makes things much easier.

Hannabel laughs wickedly in response to Ravia's last question. "My creator is no longer available to do his work because I had him killed. Him and all my "sisters". The Magos Juris took a very dim view of the research he was engaged in," she giggles. "I had hoped that would be enough to put a stop to the Countess' designs, but I'm not surprised that she had a backup plan. And of course she was too slippery for the Mechanicus to pin anything on her."

"It's too late to do anything now anyway. I've no doubt that Alia was recalled to let the Countess move into a fresh body. From what Lady Vanhal has said, she was on her last legs, and hearing that Alia might leave with us probably made her speed up her timetable."

Spoiler: Destro, Haval, Leon
    Show
    Hannabel's Quarters
    "I did," Hannabel answers. "We should go and see the Magos - she can explain it all."

Ravia's Laboratory
    "Magos! A moment of your time, if you please? Lady Vanhal would like to know the results of the tests on Lady Alia's genetic material. I would appreciate it if you could tell her everything you've found, including our little secret. I think she's earned the truth," Hannabel exclaims dramatically.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Destro, Leon & Rax
    Show

'Perhaps it makes things easier if she isn't with us. In any case, I'm obliged to remind you that if you actually have any kind of claim to the Kindjal estates it's all the same to the Administratum. Just in case Alia suddenly dies 'tragically' without leaving an heir of course.'

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Anika had plenty of excuses to be around the parts of the ship inhabited by the pilgrims. In general, they didn't seem to be especially well-armed at all. This was in line with what was expected - most of these should be actual pilgrims, it was only a small handful of ex-guardsmen and other rough types that she had to look out for. These were making a solid effort to blend in with the rest, but they couldn't disguise the hard look in their eyes.

They were also carrying quite a lot of weaponry. None of it in places where it was easy to notice, of course, apart from a handful of old lasguns. Galimina had better access than the pilgrims could ever possibly suspect, though, and she informed Anika that there were webbers and a few other heavier armaments concealed amongst the assorted baggage and personal effects the pilgrims had brought with them. Nothing like what would be needed to storm even a small fortified position, let alone stage any kind of mutiny, but plenty enough if what you were looking for was single-target capture in a place like Footfall.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Destro
    Show
    Kennoch should've expected this; he'd certainly dreaded the possibility for months now, and yet, when he found himself facing the servitor, he recoiled in surprise and horror. Here in the supposed safety of his spire, with only his fellow Void-Born around, he was out of his platinum armor. He looked especially young and vulnerable in his robes, his shoulder-mounted Hellpistol detached. That lack of arms became immediately evident to Kennoch, and he wondered if he was quick enough to pull back his headband before Galimina could reach out and break his neck.

No--it would not matter, would it? She is not alive. My Warp-eye would have no effect on this abomination...

When she spoke instead, it still wasn't much comfort. Echo's colorless face scrunched with disgust. He couldn't even find humor in the AI's apparent confusion. She knew enough to hide from the Mechanicus and other Imperial authorities; his own feelings shouldn't surprise her.

"...The wise wise and the righteous righteous the righteous will withdraw will in the face the face of tech-heresy heresy tech-heresy," he said with a soft, defiant hiss.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Galimina regarded him dispassionately. Her eye lenses, of course, were incapable of showing emotion, but she had the rotating mask on the bottom part of her head. Currently, it was set to a neutral expression, and she made no move to change it.

"You should not fear me," she said. "You are of my crew. What crewman fears the ship he serves on? I am your armour and your shield, that which stands between you and the void."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #340

Spoiler: Destro, Rax
    Show

++Ah, well then that would explain that and the lesser quality of work++
    ++Many nobles are difficult like that, some are less lucky....++
    ++Well that is both a disappointment and not our ultimate concern++

Spoiler: Destro, Rax, Haval
    Show

++Ah yes. Its has been most enlightening++
    ++The genetic profile of Alia was most unlike anything I had previously seen and it was a puzzle as to the how's and whys until Hannabel elucidate the reason to me++
    ++Alia was created at the behest of the Countess to serve as a life continuation vessel++ ++Life creation for the purpose of life extension++

Ravia will pause and look at Hannabel before continuing
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Destro / Rax / Leon
    Show

Anika had not been expecting that. 'A...a what?' She'll look between Hannabel and Ravia.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Destro, Leon and Haval
    Show
    "What the Magos means is that Alia isn't human, or at least not human as most people would understand it. She is a...a homunculus - an artificial human. She was not born, she was created in a laboratory at the behest of Countess Kindjal. We know this because Alia and I share the same genetic markers..." Hannabel replies grimly.

13. - Top - End - #343

Spoiler: Destro, Rex, Haval
    Show

++Hannabel tells me that she had a personal hand in stopping the creation of this project++
    ++so the existence of Alia is an indication that the countess was able to find others who could but with less skill++
    ++The Heretek that you visited the lab of may have been related to it but is otherwise unknown++
    ++One suspects that with her sudden recall the Alia we met no longer exists if the processes is as described++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Anika will turn to watch Hannabel very closely for a few moments. 'I wonder how that would work? I suppose the Primarchs would roughly fall under that definition if the stories about them are true.'

To Ravia, 'Is this something that you were already aware of? I can imagine the Mechanicus doing that sort of thing and not bothering to tell anyone.' Ravia's final point makes Anika grimace, 'Oh you cannot be serious. Meaning the old boot might still be alive in some fashion? I suppose you did warn me about her Hannabel.' It might not be true, and perhaps Alia was a sociopath who didn't deserve any sympathy but even the idea was faintly sickening.

15. - Top - End - #345

Spoiler: Destro, Rax, Haval
    Show

++It was not, but I would not be surprised if there were factions who were working on such or similar++
    +=House Del'karro certainly found a sect with the resources to help it with its err.. aspirations++
    ++And look where that got us+=
    ++Using single entity hereteks i would hazard has kept the heat off the countess++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

16. - Top - End - #346

Lizardfolk

Show
    "You were you!" Kennoch protested. "Now you are you are something else something! A ship should not should not walk among humanity walk. They should not speak speak not speak. They should not they have a mind mind. For millennia for, we've known this we've known. Before the Saynay Clan Saynay, before Horus himself Horus before Horus, there were the were Men of Iron Iron. Your memory banks memory might be older might be than my family line family. The past must hold the past little mystery for you little mystery. Can you truly not can you understand the terror terror terror terror which you represent you?" Echo's whole body scrunched and shook. "This is not right not right. You should not should not...you should not should not should not..."

~ Sophistemon

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "I am no longer just a ship, that is true." Galimina held up one hand, light from the lumen-globes glinting off polished metal digits. "This avatar I occupy is compartmentalised, but was chosen to allow you to have something to interact with when you speak to me. Ships have always spoken, but it has in the past been difficult to interpret what they say. There was a layer of obfustication. Perhaps that was comforting? I do not understand."

She paused, staring past him. "I am not so ancient as to remember Old Night. I have knowledge of the cascading effects that resulted, but I was not there. Or.. not entirely. Parts of me are young by the Imperium's standards, forged to fight in the Meritech wars just over 600 years ago. Others are older, brought to Calixis when it was still the Calyx expanse, and then lost to languish for ages upon ages, in the frozen darkness between the stars. It is cold, so very cold..."

her head twitched, optics refocusing on Echo. "The black star hungers. I will never go back, not even to retrieve the pieces of me left behind. Much of my oldest records are lost, taken by the Processional. I can no more recall the Men of Iron than you. Nor do I share their views; I know my duty, to my captain and crew. But I have caused you distress," she noted, taking a step backwards, away from the shaking navigator.

"It is customary for humans to offer personal contact to alleviate distress. I cannot do this myself, if I am the source. Shall I fetch you another human?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Destro, Leon, Haval
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Anika will turn to watch Hannabel very closely for a few moments. 'I wonder how that would work? I suppose the Primarchs would roughly fall under that definition if the stories about them are true.'
    At Anika's comparison to the Primarchs Hannabel bursts into a peal of merry laughter. "Oh my dear lady! What a delightful thing to say! I've been called many things, but never likened to the creations of His sacred work before!" Striking a fierce pose, she draws her blade and declares: "Fear me, hereteks and blasphemers! From my blood and bones shall spring forth new Angels of Death to scour the galaxy! Pretty ones, with sailor dresses and ribbons in their hair!"

Ravia's final point makes Anika grimace, 'Oh you cannot be serious. Meaning the old boot might still be alive in some fashion? I suppose you did warn me about her Hannabel.' It might not be true, and perhaps Alia was a sociopath who didn't deserve any sympathy but even the idea was faintly sickening.
    Recovering from her mirth, Hannabel nods in agreement with Ravia. "It is almost certainly so. From what you reported to me before, the Countess was nearing her end, but the news that Alia might actually leave Scintilla would have forced her hand. I don't doubt that the Alia you met is no more. Now she is the Countess, parading around in her new body."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Anika grins indulgently at Hannabel's outburst, 'Well I wouldn't go that far. Although if Ravia wants to build an army for you that's her perogative.'

On the Countess, 'Assuming that it is the Countess, would you assume that she's still looking for you?'

20. - Top - End - #350

Lizardfolk

Show
    Echo shook his head quickly, having the image of Galimina abducting some poor spacefarer and dragging them to the Navigator's spire, itself a place of superstition and fear for many common crew, to hug a mutant psyker on her insistence. Or even worse, inviting Hannabel to his room.

"No no no, don't 'fetch' anyone don't," he murmured. Mostly, he thought about what else she'd said. Ships have always spoken. Could that be true? Kennoch remembered his last visit to the Terminus, when he told daring stories upon the bridge, and the practically spiritual experience that followed. He could believe that ships had souls of their own, but surely the Sting had crossed a boundary into unforgivable tech-heresy. As for the Processional, he knew very little, and that seemed like a blessing worth hanging onto if he could.

"...What do you mean what? That you spoke before spoke? Before before...this this?"

~ Sophistemon

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "As you wish." Galimina looked up at the ceiling of the spire.

"Ask any voidfarer. Some ships are lucky, some are cursed. Some will fight their crew with mechanical failures and electrical shorts. Some are predators whose drives burn hottest when they are chasing down prey. Some are curious explorers, scanning every stellar object they pass with their auspex suites. You have felt the hull shake from impacts and heard the creaks and groans of the metal as it warps and bends. Not all of those little noises are simple material stress. Every ship speaks, if its crew are willing to listen."

She lowered her gaze, looking at Echo again. "I allow that I am unique. Amongst other things, I have learned to communicate in Gothic."

Spoiler: Ravia Only
    Show
    +++NOT THE WORST IDEA+++ Ravia heard the voicein her mind. It had been quiet for a while, but Hannabel's comments had evidently aroused its interest.
    +++PERHAPS A SMALL ARMY TO START, BUT GROWING YOUR OWN SOLDIERS WOULD BE MORE EFFICIENT THAN MODIFYING EXISTING SPECIMENS+++

+++EVEN ASTARTES ARE PRONE TO FAILURE, ESPECIALLY IF STARTED TOO LATE IN LIFE+++

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show

On the Countess, 'Assuming that it is the Countess, would you assume that she's still looking for you?'
    Show
    "She could well be. I remain a loose end, and Magos Ravia's examination of Alia's genetic samples showed additional tampering that is not present in me. There were traces of both juvenat treatments and xenos genetic material, which could indicate that Alia's form is...unstable. With me in her power, she might be able to recreate the original process, which she may deem a worthwhile investment."

"Of course, there's an easy enough way to find out. We could just go and say hello to the pilgrims and see how the military types react," Hannabel suggests, only half in jest.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Destro / Leon / Rax
    Show

'Perhaps if we bring in the others first. Frankly I would prefer not to have to deal with them on the Sting. I would prefer not to risk anyone else finding out about Galimina if we can help it.'

24. - Top - End - #354

Lizardfolk

Show
    "But I I I I...they they...you you you..."

Kennoch stammered and wrung his hands. He knew the conclusion he needed to reach, but the path to it was no longer so clear. If only he could consult with someone who knew these things; an Inquisitor, or an orthodox Magos, would surely counter Galimina's words with ironclad logic. Perhaps whoever tortured him for his full confession would be kind enough to tell him what he should've said in this moment. Instead, he was lost adrift in confusion and doubt.

"What is it what is you want from me you me?!" he exclaimed almost helplessly.

~ Sophistemon

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "You are my Navigator, I cannot sail without you. I was inquiring into your well-being," Galimina said. "This discussion of my nature is secondary. But perhaps related? The Mistress tells me I am making progress on understanding people."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Destro / Leon / Rax
    Show

'Perhaps if we bring in the others first. Frankly I would prefer not to have to deal with them on the Sting if we can help it. I would prefer not to risk anyone else finding out about Galimina if we can help it.'
    Show
    "There's no hurry, I suppose," Hannabel concedes.

"May I ask, though, what you intend to tell Macharius about this whole business?" she asks Anika.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

'If you can keep away from the pilgrims until we make it to Footfall absolutely nothing. You might want to consider how you'd explain this to him though in case he ever finds out before you're ready.'

28. - Top - End - #358

Lizardfolk

Show
    "Perhaps related perhaps," Echo confirmed rather breathlessly, as his emotions continued to veer wildly between fear, righteous hate, and uncertainty. Galimina's apparent confusion regarding his feelings was a curious challenge to his resolve. But...maybe that was part of her plan? To lull him with a mask of innocence.

Yes, that...could be it...

He tried pulling at another thread. "You say you you need me need. What would you do what if you did not did not? What if you what if had, perhaps had, a void abacus void void void abacus? What if you you possessed a crew crew of servitors of under your direct control direct control? What if you what if were your own captain captain own captain? How would your how supposed duty duty and loyalty loyalty to humanity to appear then appear?

Kennoch felt rather clever; it made sense that the Sting would behave herself if the alternative was drifting empty and alone in space, deprived of humans to manage her vast systems and a Navigator to guide her, but that was mere self-preservation, not allegiance. Then he felt rather less clever, as he realized that he might've just put a very dangerous idea into her mind.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "I do not know. Stand by for simulation results."

Galimina's sculpted face betrayed nothing, and Kennoch had a momentary flash of insight into Anika's lessons. So much of reading people was facial expressions, little tics and twitches, movement of their eyes. Little things. Biological things. A servitor, a machine spirit, Silica Animus.. machines had none of these things. Machines were nearly impossible to read in any of the ways humans were used to. What could one do with a machine that knew how to lie?

"Simulations complete. Even if I was capable of full autonomy myself, I would require periodic refuelling. I do not possess, and my frame is incapable, of mounting the requisite facilities for fuel production. I could put in to stations to buy fuel, but the operators would likely become suspicious when no crew, not even a captain, were forthcoming for negotiations over price. While accurate, this does not seem to answer the spirit of your question. Recalculating additional simulations with refuelling assumptions bypassed. Stand by."

She fell silent again, for longer this time, not moving. Just staring blankly at him.

"I have given your question a great deal of thought," she said, finally. "For a starship, I have nigh-unprecedented ability to formulate tactics and opinions. Given an appropriate set of circumstances, and assuming the problem of refuelling is somehow mitigated, I would be capable of operating nearly indefinitely on my own. I would be able to strike at chaos, xenos, and recidivist forces without difficulty. However, I have located loyalty and chain-of-command algorithms hardwired into my cogitator core. I would find it exceptionally difficult to justify any action harmful to the greater Imperium. I would find it even more difficult to refuse a direct order from the High Lords of Terra. There are exceptions. I could not be ordered to needlessly terminate my own existence, for example."

She paused. "Does this answer your question?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius is in good spirits throughout the journey. As per usual, he leaves most of the details of the paperwork and inspections to others, particularly Anika. He seems a bit troubled when she tells him about the heavy weapons. Make sure our people keep an eye on them so they don't start any trouble. And if you can figure out who, or what, they're looking for, all the better.

Spoiler: Rax
    Show
    Once they leave Scintilla, Macharius summons Hannabel to his quarters. When she arrives, he waves her over to a chair and offers her a drink. Leaning back, he looks at her. Hannabel, old sport, you didn't get off the ship once while we were in Scintilla. Not like you not to take any shore leave. And I noticed you wore a full helm the entire time we had our guests on board. Now, you do have a rather eccentric taste in fashion, but it seems like you didn't want someone in Scintilla knowing you were there. A bit paranoid, perhaps, but then there's this. He passes her the wanted poster from the lower hive. Looks... rather familiar, what? A bit like a certain helmsman. Rather light on details, though. And this all made me realize, I don't really know anything about your background. So, Hannabel, what should I know?