New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC III

Spoiler: Destro and Haval
    Show
    "I once...worked...with a...person...whose great hero was Belisarius Cawl. He would tell me endless stories of what a great man Cawl was - a great innovator, a true scientist, he said," Hannabel replied in a muted voice.

"This person worked with the Countess for a very long time. They had a common interest, you see - they both wanted very much to replicate the means by which Cawl is said to have lived far beyond a man's allotted lifetime - far beyond even what augmentations and juvenat treatments allow. Actually, 'interest' is putting it lightly. It was their obsession, the overriding goal in everything they did, and I...I put an end to all that," she confessed.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Rax and Destro
    Show

'I don't have a problem with science but I take it this person's ideas are the kind of thing that the Ordos might have a problem with?' Anika will put down her recaff and move closer. 'And when you say that you put an end to their plans I take it you mean violently? Is this friend of the Countess still alive?'

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "The Ordos, the Mechanicus, pretty much anyone of an orthodox persuasion," Hannabel replied with an odd little smile. "And no, I have every reason to believe he's dead - very, very dead," she added.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Anika can put two and two together. 'In that case, well done. I sure he deserved it.' She'll briefly smile back.

'This work of the Countess. If she is using her niece to continue her ... research, can you say anything concrete about what they might be doing. If it's as you say I am open to the possibility that the murders are for something unusual.' And to get to the point, 'I believe you obviously, but is there any chance you have any way of proving any of this? I might not be as simple as calling the authorities on the Kindjals but remind me what reason do we have not to leak or fabricate something to encourage the Ordos to pay them a visit at some point in the future. I'm not normally in favour of wishing that upon anyone but ocasionally it's fully justified.'

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "I suppose the Ordos might be an option this time around, now that it sounds like the Countess is harbouring xenos," Hannabel mused. "But I honestly can't say much about what the Countess is doing now. Whatever is going on, it's different than what I was...part of. The thing I am sure of is that her goals will not have changed and that she doesn't have much time to find an alternative means of prolonging her existence."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

'Well lets hope for her failure then shall we' Anika replied. 'Despite what I said earlier I wonder what would happen if we managed to get the younger Lady Kindjal in a public setting for a chat. Either she's with the Countess or she has views of her own. Whatever else happens it would put an end to this. Regardless, I think we should bring in the others at least on the matter of the footage. I would like to hear their opinions.'

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "You mean tell them who the killer is? I see no harm in that - the "Fate-haunted One" might object to Galimina proofing his work, but I don't think anyone else in the command crew will care much," Hannabel smiled mischievously.

"As for getting young Lady Kindjal somewhere we can talk to her, do you think she might agree to come on board the Sting? You could offer her a tour of the facilities where the Countess' pilgrims will be staying. You know, as a show of good faith so that the Countess can be assured that her sponsorship is being handled with the respect it deserves," she suggested.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

'Well in truth I'm not going to avoid telling Macharius, and Kennoch at least has been helpful recently. That part isn't negotiable. I would like to give you the chance to listen in on any conversation and contribute if you feel like it even if its remotely through a voxlink. Your connection to the Kindjals is of course your own business and I'm not going to be the one to mention it.'

Anika grins a little at the idea of inviting the Stalker. 'I might end up trying that, but I feel like if she falls for it I would lose a little respect for her. Assuming she knows what we've been doing she might smell a rat.'

ooc - Going to open this up to the others before trying anything. If only because Anika might need Macharius to stand behind.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "I'll be here, listening," Hannabel answered.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will return to Scintilla and arrange to meet Macharius and Kennoch in their rented apartment. A vox channel will be left open so that the others could be kept informed. Anika has taken to smoking,

'First of all, Hannabal's friend has come through for us.' She will have found some equipment so that she could show the portion of the footage that identified the younger Lady Kindjal. 'I'm sure we would have found this out eventually but it did rather speed things up. If anyone has any reason to doubt the information I would like to point out that we have circumstantial evidence that suggests that the Kindjals are less then trustworthy.' Anika won't elaborate but has already passed on the evidence of the suspected Jokaero in the Kindjal's household. 'The question is what do we want to do about it. Hannabal's friend has pointed out to me that simply passing the footage to the Commissariat raises uncomfortable questions about how we managed to get it so quickly, so we might be obliged to deal with her ourselves. I suppose we could see if we can speak to her alone. Hannabal has already suggested we see if she's willing to come aboard the Sting to oversee business to do with her aunt's contract. I would certainly be interested to see how she might respond, even if she tries to stab me.'

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Mention of Hannabel's "friend" made Kennoch bristle and sink into sullen thoughts for a long moment. He wondered what the Abominable Intelligence's game was. Even if--if!--her conclusion was accurate, that only meant that Galimina's goals were served by advancing their hunt, which made the Navis quite uncomfortable. Paranoia swirled around him, looming servitors grinning at this clever trap where he could neither trust the help nor entirely discount it, and behind them all in the dark was Sargon. "Machines are negotiable."

In Port Wander. I will. I will.

Gradually, Echo came back to the present. "...The Stalker Stalker would not try not and might not bother might to stab to stab." He produced his own dataslate and cycled through the images of this superhuman assassin ripping apart heavy turrets with nothing but her hands, as she twirled through hails of bullets that could not touch her. "I think it I think an incredible risk risk risk to be in in the same hive same as this killer killer killer killer, let alone bring bring her aboard the Sting aboard."

He paused here for a moment; he had the sudden but vague idea to somehow pit Galimina and the Stalker against one another. A glorious but difficult arrangement that would probably still end with them all dying, but before she crushed his skull like a grape, Kennoch would feel such relief. He filed that away for later consideration.

"And yes yes, perhaps her strength strength and unholy speed speed is a function function of her suit suit. Perhaps not perhaps. Perhaps she would she find a way find way to bring the suit bring without our knowing our knowing. Who can predict who can the Jokaero's capabilities the? The Stalker knows knows we pursue her we. Else why kill Thule why kill? I do not do not think we will will catch her unaware catch. If she comes she comes aboard the Sting Sting the Sting, it is because it is that is where that is she wants to be wants."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

What a shocking and unexpected twist, hoho! The only person holding parties when the Stalker is about is the Stalker and her dear old nan. Especially given Anika's discovery that they own a Jokaero. Still rather unfortunate- she was quite a charming young lady

He considers Anika's idea. Not a bad plan. She's unlikely to show up in full xenostech battle armor, as that would publicize that shes the stalker. Perhaps we can negotiate with her then. If not, at least she wont have the element of surprise and will be heavily outnumbered.

He looks at Kennoch. You may be unfortunately right, master navis. Emperor knows what vile sorcery the beasts use. Still, unlike her other victims we know who she is and we are not caught by surprise. It is worth noting as well that she clearly fears discovery, or else she would not have operated in secret for so long. She cannot be so all-powerful as you fear, or she would have no reason to eliminate Thule.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will watch Kennoch's reaction without expression. 'Whatever else she is, unless there"s a lot more going on that I'm unaware of, I am not afraid of her. And if it's only the suit that lets her do that perhaps I could take her myself without even Macharius' help.'

She'll list some options, 'Aboard the Sting I think she'll find it harder then she might expect. For obvious reasons. I'm not enthusiastic about letting her slaughter members of the crew before we bring her down though. I suppose there's always the cargo bay. All we'd need to do is to get her somewhere where we can expose her to vaccum, and ideally not get sucked out into space with her.'

Alternatively, 'If we try something on the surface perhaps we should have an insurance policy. Either a good crewman with a long las
    or the largest explosive I can fit under my coat. Anything that might slow her down in an emergency.'

Anika will grin at Macharius' reaction, 'And that should probably be worth remembering. I'm not saying every member of the Scintillan Highborn is a murderous killer, but I'm sure its more then just her.' She'll look more serious, 'I can't say I know her as a person but I have reason to believe that the aunt is the real problem here. There's a certain amount of rumours swirling around what she might have been up to in private. That doesn't excuse the niece's murders obviously, but I'm open to the possibility that the aunt might have some kind of hook in her niece. All of which is to say that talking to her first might be quite revealing.'

14. - Top - End - #224
    Firbolg in the Playground

##I'm still not sure as to why this is a concern of ours to deal with outside of perchance getting a look at this Xenostech suit and creator, the creator of course sounds more interesting than its suit but they are others in the Adeptus who would love such a garment to study##
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

'Because morality aside there are people who live here that I would prefer not to be murdered if I can help it. Although keeping them at the Palace might be enough to guarantee that that doesn't happen. If it helps you can have dibs on any technology we might recover from the Stalker.'

16. - Top - End - #226

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Whatever else she is, unless there"s a lot more going on that I'm unaware of, I am not afraid of her. And if it's only the suit that lets her do that perhaps I could take her myself without even Macharius' help.'
    Kennoch blinked slowly, looked down at his dataslate--now depicting an image of the Stalker casually tossing aside a dismembered turret barrel thicker than his arm--looked back at Anika, and blinked again.

"Lord-Commander Lord Lord-Commander, I have seen I have you crush a Terrorax crush with a single blow single. I will not will not question your abilities question. If you believe if you you can defeat her you can you can, or if you if see some value some in negotiation negotiation, I will follow you I will as always always. But I reiterate but my concern my. Lord Hax Hax Hax Hax has ample resources ample to perform the perform same calculations as same the Helmsmadam's the...friend friend." The word stuck in his throat for a moment. "With Thule's datastacks Thule's, the Scintillian authorities authorities could surely conclude surely this investigation this on their own their own. They would know they would that our help help made it possible possible. We risk much risk for the sake the sake of generosity of. I only hope hope the locals are grateful are."

~ Sophistemon

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The comms crackle briefly as Hannabel interjects from the Sting. "Why is she doing it - that's what I want to know. This is not vendetta, this is serial murder, so it's not a common tiff between toffs. The how and the who are now established - it's the why that makes this interesting in the first place. If we turn our evidence over to the Commissariat now, we not only have to explain why we're so sure the Countess' niece is the killer, we'll probably never find out the why," she says urgently.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika doesn't seem overly bothered by the image on Kennoch's dataslate, 'There are worse things then getting disembered. As deaths go it seems rather quick. For comparison perhaps I could see if Ravia has any picts of the Yu'vath construct we encountered. Personally I do not need any help to remember it.' She is certainly exasperated by Kennoch. 'I would prefer to avoid letting Alia Kindjal get the better of me, but at the same time I would be embarrassed to admit to being afraid of her.'

Anika will nod in agreement with the second point though. It was worth answering. 'That's the back up plan if the worst happens. Give the data to someone trustworthy so they can pass it on if they don't hear from us in a specific timeframe. As for why I don't want to simply pass the data on now, perhaps I have spent far too much time on this to leave it alone.' She'll pause for Hannabel's interjection, 'And that. At least by handling this myself I have a chance of finding out what the hell motivated all of this.'

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well then! Macharius claps his hands together. It's settled. We will set up a meeting with Alia Kindjal, and if we must die we will remember Anika prefers dismemberment and Kennoch does not. He grins and voxes Williams. Williams, send a message to House Kindjal requesting that Lady Alia Kindjal meet with us at the Stingto discuss our upcoming joint venture.

An official meeting should make it rather less likely that she comes in full battle regalia. Or, if she does, make it clear she means trouble before she gets on board. In the meantime, we shall take necessary precautions. I want dead man's switches set up and ready should we drop out of contact for too long. Perhaps a copy of the data here with the captain of the Sting and at least one copy with off-ship associates. The bankers of House Krin came highly recommended, are we are clients now. Unless anyone has other suggestions?

We also want more immediate precautions. I want platoons of marines ready to burst in at a moment's notice if they hear sounds of combat. She's a formidable combatant, but a hundred lasguns is still a hundred lasguns. Anything else?
    He looks to the command staff for suggestions.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will grin and roll her eyes at Macharius' comment but will not otherwise respond to it.

To the rest, 'I would like to think House Krin can be relied on not to look at the data too early as long as we're paying them. Whoever we use I suggest we retrieve the data before we leave.' On plans, 'Would having a meeting in the shuttlebay be a little too obvious about our intentions? Having the threat of being sucked out into space hanging over her might help keep her polite. Otherwise, do we have a room on the Sting that's large enough that we can post actual snipers, and armsmen who can shoot well enough to do the job honestly?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

If it needs to be said, Anika is immune to fear (1) on the basis of insanity. Feel like her response should be a little dismissive because of it.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Williams set to work immediately, drawing up invitations for Alia Kindjal to visit the Manticore's Sting and tour the facilities where the pilgrims would be staying. Anika put together an information package, with appropriate dead man's switches to set off delivery if anyone on the crew happened to die. House Krin seemed a logical choice, and they were assured confidentiality on behalf of the banking house when the "secure materials" were deposited. Macharius set about directing the ship's many armsmen. The ship wasn't equipped with properly large reception rooms, but outside of the shuttle bays there were at least two facilities large enough to prepare a proper ambush: The observation dome, with its armourplas view of the open void above; or the arboretum, and its winding pathways and abundant foliage.

Each of the three options came with its own benefits and drawbacks, of course. The dome was largely open, an arena ringed by balconies with plenty of places for snipers to hide, but no cover on ground level where the meeting would take place. The shuttle bays were similar, carrying the added threat of hard vaccuum on the other side of their reinforced doors, but there were plenty of avenues of escape, including whatever shuttle she arrived on, and if the Stalker slipped into the maintenance areas, they would be hard pressed to catch her again. The arboretum had limited access points, plenty of cover, and high spaces for snipers, but was closer to the heart of the ship and offered more limited sight lines. They would only have one shot at surprising their adversary.

They would, however, be getting that one shot. Alia agreed to the meeting without overly much delay, and the final wheels were set in motion. As the hour approached, Galimina found Hannabel in her quarters. "Mistress, I am... concerned. I will do what I can to assist, but the Lady is an outsider, and if I am too overt in actions taken against her, she may escape with news of my true nature. That information cannot leave the ship, not yet. I am not prepared. We risk much, allowing enemies to come here."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"That is why you should be nowhere near the Kindjal woman while she is aboard the ship. This is a matter for us human beings to handle. Only intervene if there's a violent confrontation and it seems that she is about to escape from the Sting. I suggest limiting yourself to slowing her down by activating intruder countermeasures along her path in the tenebro-maze. Even a locked door or airlock will buy us some time. You can do that without being near the action, can't you?" Hannabel suggests.

In preparation for Alia Kindjal's arrival, Hannabel has changed into a new outfit: a tight-fitting white bodysuit, decorated with silver thread in circuit board designs. Dainty boots end in steel caps and steel scales are also sewn onto the fingers and knuckles of her elegant gloves. Her features are completely hidden by a deep hood and a skull-like, bone white rebreather that covers her face.
    Last edited by rax; 2022-12-06 at 05:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will do what she can to prepare. Anyone who might be in the observation dome will be issued with a rebreather in case of emergencies. She would like to think that the dome would be harder to crack but wasn't going to leave anything to chance. On the same basis Anika will gather up a handful of tech priests to get them to weld shut any alternate routes out of the dome even if it was just a maintenance tunnel.

Anika is dressed in her usual greatcoat which has long since been cleaned from the visit to Thule's lab. The coat bulges more then ususal though from the refractor field generator worn at her hip and the handful of xenos explosives that she is now carrying inside various inside pockets. On her belt is her recently acquired inferno pistol and an openly carried shuriken pistol. The xenos device was there more for show as she had yet to work out how to use it.

Show

At some point before Alia Kindjal's arrival Anika will go speak to Hannabel in private.

'I assume you would have said something if you had any misgivings about the plan.' Anika sounds concerned. 'I would never suggest that you don't participate if we get into a fight, and you would certainly be more useful then I would be, but ... if you have any personal reasons to want to keep a distance from this woman I would suggest you do so. After what you've told me I'd say you shouldn't have to do anything that you might regret later.'

Ooc - One more bracket. I'd rather timesplit this if possible to not hold everyone else up. This is the 'redacted' alluded to in the ooc thread.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

We shall meet her in the observation dome. Williams, let House Kindjal know we shall send a shuttle for Lady Kindjal. One of the nice ones, of course. Can't seat a lady ina troop transport, even is she is a serial killer, hoho! And give the pilot some inconspicuous phrase to utter on return to alert us to whether she's in the full Stalker suit or not. Prefer not to be surprised by this sort of thing. When she arrives, have the staff show her to the observation dome with all due courtesy. And let's have some proper refreshments and food. Wouldn't want her to think we're bad hosts.

Macharius prepares to meet her in his golden power armor, polished to a mirror-like gleam. It had the advantage of being extremely showy, and thus formal-wear appropriate, while also offering maximum protection. The thunder hammer and power sword hang at his side, ornate enough to look ceremonial. Almagor and Murphy stand nearby as un-obstrusively as possible for men in full power armor, each holding their meltaguns at attention. The other three Praetorians, after much grumbling, were spread evenly across the observation deck. A full platoon of marines was directed to wait outside the one unsealed entrance, with the Praetorians' old hellguns distributed to the best shots.

25. - Top - End - #235

Lizardfolk

Kennoch reluctantly went ahead to the observation dome and would wait for Alia's arrival, under the pretense of enjoying the view. He truly did like it here; outside of his spire, this was his favorite part of the ship, to the extent that he continued to stomach the Sting at all. Familiar stars distracted him very slightly from the heavy matters weighing on his mind, and in any case, this was nicer than the hive where he'd spent the last few weeks.

He picked a spot on one of the lower balconies, where he could keep the ground level within range of his Hellpistol, and also be seen in his shining voidsuit, as a further distraction from the snipers. Speaking of, he called for a dozen of his officer Rings to split off from their teams, take up basic lasguns from the armory, and lurk on the higher balconies. Kennoch's personal bodyguards stayed near him, hunched low, and activated their Cameleoline cloaks. Their job was primarily to throw themselves heroically in the Stalker's path if she came for the Navigator. That might buy him a few seconds to reflect on his mistakes, but probably little else.

~ Sophistemon

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show

At some point before Alia Kindjal's arrival Anika will go speak to Hannabel in private.

'I assume you would have said something if you had any misgivings about the plan.' Anika sounds concerned. 'I would never suggest that you don't participate if we get into a fight, and you would certainly be more useful then I would be, but ... if you have any personal reasons to want to keep a distance from this woman I would suggest you do so. After what you've told me I'd say you shouldn't have to do anything that you might regret later.'

Ooc - One more bracket. I'd rather timesplit this if possible to not hold everyone else up. This is the 'redacted' alluded to in the ooc thread.

Show
    "It's as good a plan as we can manage, I think, and now that she's coming I'd quite like to get a closer look at her. I'll join the welcoming committee and escort Lady Kindjal to the observation dome. That'll give me some time to take her measure. Once we get to the dome, I'll take my leave and find a spot to wait and watch...and then we'll see how things go," Hannabel replies.

OOC: Sorry, I completely missed Haval's spoilered post.

And since everyone is listing their gear, assume Hannabel has her xenos mesh and conversion field for protection. For weapons, she'll bring her bolt pistol, a shard gun, and her bolo knife. Somewhere convenient in the observation dome she'll stash her combat shield and pulse carbine.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Destro and Rax
    Show

Anika seems unconvinced. 'Right...but if you are set on participating and the worse happens perhaps you should you should let someone else be the one to ...finish her off. Given your mutual connection to the Countess, there is every chance that you might have something in common.'

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

"I have control over most of the ship," Galimina told Hannabel. "I can slow her down remotely, and remain hidden myself. I should be present, to defend my crew, but... from what you have told me of this woman, I have concerns over her family's reach should they learn what I am. I will withdraw myself. I am large, and have many places I can hide myself."

Macharius recieved a message back that sending a shuttle to escort the lady would not be necessary - she had her own transportation. Not long after, the ship recieved a hail from a medium-sized gun-cutter on approach, saying that Alia Kindjal and retinue were prepared to board, and requesting clearance for one of the shuttle bays.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Haval and Destro
    Show
    "It's because of our 'mutual connection' that I should be the one to finish her off, if it comes to that. We may have lots in common, but this ship is my home and its crew my family, and their safety always comes first," Hannabel insisted.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

On hearing about the Kindjal gun cutter Anika will quietly issue some orders to make sure the crew was properly alerted. Alia and whoever she brought with her wasn't to be considered a threat until they did something to deserve it but it was preferable that the crew was warned.

Show

'Then lets hope we can talk her out of doing anything unpleasant.'