New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Deep Horizon by Feathersnow IC

Rachen blinks. "Huh. Guess it wasn't very tough." With a wave of his hand, he dismisses the sphere, which promptly vanishes. He glances at the escaping dragon, but doesn't follow it. Though he didn't understand what it said, its current actions are pretty clear.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Grinning slightly to himself and stepping out from behind the stalagmite he was behind so he's clearly visible, Jecklyn calls out to the dragon before he gets too far, though ideally out of range of his breath weapon. "Ye wouldn't be trying to run with any of our treasure, would ya?"

Tossing what amounts to an extremely large steel boulder up and down in one hand, he waits for the dragon's response, then has another thought too. "In fact, I'd think we'd like to talk a bit. Maybe you could reward us for our good deed with some information about the area. That would be somethin' a properly grateful sort like yourself would do, right?"
    Last edited by Balthanon; 2022-05-05 at 09:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The dragon stops, if reluctantly...

"I can tell you a thing or three, just let me go with whatever that thing left me with and I'll be glad to tell you about his friends."
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Rachen lands next to Jecklyn and glares at the wyrm.

"Don't think to fool us, dragon," he says, twirling his massive greathammer in his hands as if it were a twig; it abruptly stops, and he slams the head straight down into the ground, both hands at the end of the shaft. "You would not fare well against us. Witness how fast your master fell! Tell us what you know, and we'll let you free; but if we think you're having us on, I wouldn't mind subduing a pet lizard to use as a mount!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rachen's trying to scare the dragon, to back Jecklyn up.
    Intimidate check: (1d20+12)[16]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Elwenath scrunches his brow for a moment, then says, "Beholders don't have -- Ah. You don't mean friends, you mean 'friends'. Got it. What can you tell us?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Shrugging noncommittally, Jecklyn says, "I'm listening."

That said, he doesn't approach any further either. Not that he particularly needs to generally speaking.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Rolland frowns at this diversion, his weapon and his breath ready to rejoin combat if needed, but not interested in trying to intimidate a... nominally innocent dragon.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"The Old Drow Ruins, a nest of those things is there, they have creepy bat things as mercenaries. And lots of slaves, some normal sone with magic binding."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

"Huh, interesting that. How many of the things are there? And what can you tell us about what they can do? If you were actually enslaved by the things, you must have seen a bit more than we might be able to recall." Jecklyn eyes the beast they're conversing with and prepares to wring as much information out of it as he can manage about the beholders and any notable slaves.

Show
    So basically trying to get a more detailed set of data on the beholders and their abilities (i.e. what the eye beams do, any mages, etc...) plus any forces-- given that he was captured and presumably in with these, it's going to be a heck of a lot more safe to get info out of them than sneak in to get that information.

If it looks to be cooperating, Jecklyn will likely shrink back down to gnome size during the discussion, since he presumably has better recall that way.
    Last edited by Balthanon; 2022-05-12 at 03:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Elwenath glances around at his companions. "I can say a bit more about beholders now that we're not in a time crunch, but these bat-people ... they're new to me."

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Friar Gowan Goodwin

Gowan listened quietly. He wasn't sure the dragon was being truthful but it at least sounded plausible and would explain recent events. He nodded thoughtfully.

"Thank you - I hope our paths never cross again" Gowan turns away with a slight head nod and lets the others ask their questions.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

After raising one hand at the dragon to stall it leaving, Rachen turns to Elwenath. "I think the operative word in that phrase is people. I've heard of anthropomorphic animals before; I imagine this is like that. So I wouldn't assign any supernatural abilities to them without evidence to the contrary--I'd say just think of them as weirdly-shaped humans for now. So let's focus on beholders and what you know of them." He casually swings the giant hammer up onto his shoulder again.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Elwenath nods, keeping one eye on the dragon. "The big central eye turns off magic whichever way it's facing. The little eyes shoot a variety of deadly rays everywhere else, all at the same time. Charm, terror, petrification, disintegration, sleep, just plain damage ... it's those little eyes that cause all the trouble. The bite may look nasty but it's really a joke, nothing but a tickle. The other main thing I know about beholders is that they don't often work together. They hate each other slightly less than they hate everyone else. So if they're banded together ..." He looks at the dragon for confirmation. "That probably means there's something else with even more power pulling the strings."

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As the party leaves the dragon and continues into the Underdark, Elwenath notices the ground ahead is littered with caltrops. Just then, figures from the darkness unleash a volley of arrows!

Spoiler
    Show

(1D20+17)[37]
    (1d8+9)[17]

On Elwenath

ROLL]1D20+17[/ROLL]
    (1d8+9)[16]

On Rachen

ROLL]1D20+17[/ROLL]
    (1d8+9)[17]

On Jecklyn

ROLL]1D20+17[/ROLL]
    (1d8+9)[13]

On Roland

ROLL]1D20+17[/ROLL]
    (1d8+9)[15]

ROLL]1D20+17[/ROLL]
    (1d8+9)[12]

On Gowan

Everyone who gets hit must make a DC 18 check against poison

Last edited by Feathersnow; 2022-05-19 at 10:49 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

An attack? Bloody hell, how'd we miss these buggers...

Turning, the little fey tries to spot where the attacks are coming from-- the feast they had for breakfast was doing a good job of keeping the arrow from doing any particular damage, but that wouldn't last forever. Ripping the arrow out of his arm, Jecklyn also notes a blackish substance on the arrow head and grimaces. "Poison, lovely."

Show

(1d20+14)[29] Fort Save

Spot check from the OOC thread of 30.
    Last edited by Balthanon; 2022-05-21 at 02:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Roland looks more annoyed than worried at the caltrops and the incoming wave of arrows, wincing as one of them hits him. He sizes the opponents up, seeing which to strike first to disrupt their coordination, and selecting the one that shot him personally, that one would be the one that would die first.

granted maneuver check - (1d3)[3]
    init - (1d20+3)[5]
    knowledge devotion roll, I am assuming knowledge local - (1d20+8)[13]
    Last edited by Lord Foul; 2022-05-19 at 11:41 PM.