New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Stranger Things 4 trailer

I'm surprised noone made a thread fot it but here it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cen; 2022-04-15 at 05:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Stranger Things 4 trailer

I was extremely disappointed with Season 3. The way the kids figured out that there were Russian spies operating out of the Hawkins mall was one of the most preposterous leaps of inference I've ever seen: you intercept a transmission of someone speaking some nonsense phrases in Russian with an antenna that is explicitly stated to be able to pick up signals with a range of thousands of miles, and there happens to be some standard carnival music in the background. Then because that music happens to be present at the local mall (in addition to the thousands of other places within range it might also be playing), the natural conclusion is that it is coming from the mall, and moreover is Russian spies? And this ridiculous guess is somehow completely correct? The Soviets were also comically stereotypical, and the idea that they built a gigantic underground complex in the US in a town monitored by US intelligence in less than a year was preposterous — they'd struggle to do that openly, much less with somehow no one noticing.

Character-wise, it was also a mess. Chief Hopper became completely non-functional, the dynamic of Max and Billy wasn't very interesting, the Mind Flayer continued to be a bad villain with a very stupid plan, the cast grew large enough that it just didn't give the individuals time to shine. Above all, though, the show just doesn't have the sense of wonder it did in the first season. The Upside-Down was a danger, yes, but it was also a place of strangeness and marvels. The thing with the magnets failing was a lazy attempt to do something like the Christmas lights of season 1, except with no reason at this point for Hopper to doubt Joyce. It was just a disappointing mess, and this trailer did not convince me to give Season 4 a chance. (Crikey, the Mind Flayer gets a humanoid body?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I don't find the trailer particularly inspiring. There's some interesting stuff there, but also some bits that look stupid or out-of-place. (Playing electric guitar in the Upside-Down?)
    I thought Season 3 was no-where near as good as the first two. (Pretty much everything you said Thales!)
    After missing a Russian base under the town, how does anyone in the US know what's happening in Russia? Will the two locations be separate until the kids go from one place through the Upside-Down and emerge in Russia by accident, or something?

I really hope they have a better set-up and story this time round. At least by expecting to be dissapointed, I might be pleasantly surprised!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

When I heard that Stranger Things was getting two more seasons, I predicted that season 4 would be entertaining but dumb and season 5 would be hot garbage. Nothing I've seen in that trailer makes me think I might be wrong.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.