New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Troll flesh transplants?

So, troll blood poured over wounds seems to "regenerate" them.
    Fascinating.
    It indeed opens to many exciting opportunities.

In your opinion, since it made a destroyed eye regrow, does it means it can regenerate nerves, internal organs... everything?
    Mabye even parts of the brain?

And, since it appears to be no rejection, could troll flesh, muscle and bone be grafted too, to increase mass and size?

Does the newly regenerated flesh possess some or part of the regenerative powers of trolls too?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Troll flesh transplants?

Username checks out.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we witnessing the invention of a new cyberpunk/fantasy hybrid genre? What are we going to call it?
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Serini was buying troll blood to use in potions, so presumably this is a thing already. Probably with more controlled results too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I would imagine that there is more to the graft than simply pouring blood into a wound. Potions and spells of Regeneration do not alter the physiology of the beneficiary. However, having a troll shaman perform the ritual rather than simply casting Regen or Monstrous Regen seems to have made a difference.

Possibility: Serini was dead when the healing was performed, and is now a troll with Serini"s memories. Instead of Serini"s soul, the body is inhabited by a troll soul that believes it is Serini.

However, that aside, using reagents of various types doesn't change the person using the potion. Use all the fairy dust you like, your character may fly or turn invisible, but doesn't turn into a half-fairy freak. Something else is at work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Another thing...
    since Redcloack proved that titanium does exist and is known...

and titanium causes no rejection, could it be used to further exploit the regenerative properties of troll blood / flesh
    by plating / coating / reinforcing the scheleton then letting the flesh and skin regrow over it?

- - -

Different idea: creating an iron golem "coated" with living, regenerating troll flesh to give it the appearance of a living creature?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I would imagine that there is more to the graft than simply pouring blood into a wound. Potions and spells of Regeneration do not alter the physiology of the beneficiary. However, having a troll shaman perform the ritual rather than simply casting Regen or Monstrous Regen seems to have made a difference.

Possibility: Serini was dead when the healing was performed, and is now a troll with Serini"s memories. Instead of Serini"s soul, the body is inhabited by a troll soul that believes it is Serini.

However, that aside, using reagents of various types doesn't change the person using the potion. Use all the fairy dust you like, your character may fly or turn invisible, but doesn't turn into a half-fairy freak. Something else is at work.
    While the idea of a clone-soul Serini deal would be interesting and have magnificent philosophical implications, we're too late in the game to give this the kind of time it needs.
    My guess is that formally it'd have been some obscure 3rd party "Bestow Trollflesh" spell ritual being performed by a high level divine caster. Or perhaps it's a homebrewed variant of the Trollflesh Golem, in which Serini was converted into a trollflesh "golem" like Crystal was (but retaining all of her original self and more of her body parts).
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2022-04-16 at 02:38 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Are we witnessing the invention of a new cyberpunk/fantasy hybrid genre? What are we going to call it?
    Trollpunk seems to be the obvious choice.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Trollpunk: 1184
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Post-human View Post
    Different idea: creating an iron golem "coated" with living, regenerating troll flesh to give it the appearance of a living creature?
    Low budget rip off of Terminator 2.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

What would happen if we tried to coat everyone's favourite Evil Sorcerer Litch with the stuff?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
    What would happen if we tried to coat everyone's favourite Evil Sorcerer Litch with the stuff?
    A problem.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
    A problem.
    Yeah.
    Do you have any idea how hard it'd be for Xykon to get those bones cleaned?

On the plus side maybe he'd be able to taste coffee again.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2022-04-21 at 06:45 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Everyone says lich like it rhymes with itch, but it was originally pronounced, ( before D&D,) as a rhyme of lick.

So a trollflesh graft on a lich would be a trollick. That's a new template for my campaign now.

Okay, I'll have to figure out how a character can have two templates without creating were-pires or vamp-wolves.

Okay, bad idea.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'd been under the impression it was supposed to sound like "like." however, wikipedia suggests that it's been pronounced as "litch" since Old English, which would be well before D&D.

In Middle English "lich" was apparently a possible spelling for the word that is now "like" so perhaps this is where the pronunciation of the undead to sound like "like" comes from? Apparently I should start reading it as "litch" tho...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Old English lic was /lic/~/litʃ/, because /k/ was regularly palatalized in that kind of environment; see also OE ic, ME ich vs Dutch ik, "I"; OE gelic, ME ilich vs Dutch gelijk, "alike". However, there were dialectal variants, and in the northern half of England the /k/ seems to have survived under certain circumstances, so in Middle English there are forms like ik, illik(e), etc. It's hard to say to what extent this represents Northumbrian and Mercian variants already present in early Old English (since the /k/ in these words is an archaism) and to what extent it is Old Norse influence (since these regions, particularly Northumbria, had a significant Anglo-Danish population, and Northumbria was ruled by Norse elites for a while). OE lic shows up both as lich(e) and as lik(e) in ME, so while both pronunciations are fine and true to ME and possibly to certain OE dialects, you'd expect the spelling with <ch> to have /tʃ/, not /k/ (see the modern lychgate, with variants such as lyke-gate).

Modern English doesn't come directly from the West Saxon Old English "standard" that had palatalized /tʃ/ more or less across the board, but from a later London-based Middle English chancery standard that took a lot from more northern variants. Words like like come from those variants, and this is why we have a doublet like -like vs -ly (OE -lic(e), ME -lich(e), -lik(e). See also ditch vs dike, both from OE dic, and beseech vs seek, beseek, from OE secan.
    Last edited by hrožila; 2022-04-22 at 04:46 AM.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post

From the flashback in 1227 we see that:
    1. Serini has no X in her eyes.
    2. There is no magical aura surrounding the troll shaman or his ritual blade, which would probably be if he was casting a spell or performing a supernatural ritual.

My opinion is that raw troll blood does have regenerative functions with side effects Serini received, but nothing more. She is the same Serini with the same abilities and altered look.

By brewing potions Serini processed the raw troll blood in order to preserve the regenerative effect and eliminate the side effects.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2022-04-23 at 04:23 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's no reason the troll blood potions would have to be healing or regenerative. It's the obvious choice, but magic is weird like that.

As for what happened to Serini, my best guess as to how to approximate it in game terms is she acquired the half-troll template. As it's usually an inherited template the rules for applying it to an existing creature is entirely up to the DM, and grafting troll flesh onto a necromantically scoured wound is plausible enough.

Of course, the iron golem coated in troll flesh idea is an interesting one. Half trolls have often been used as minions for wizards, the infamous emerald legion comes to mind on that front; both the original half troll emerald dragons and the half-clay golem voidmind were-dire bat (air racial variant) half-troll wartrolls* that came later.

*Yes, they were half-troll half-war trolls.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    I'd been under the impression it was supposed to sound like "like." however, wikipedia suggests that it's been pronounced as "litch" since Old English, which would be well before D&D.

In Middle English "lich" was apparently a possible spelling for the word that is now "like" so perhaps this is where the pronunciation of the undead to sound like "like" comes from? Apparently I should start reading it as "litch" tho...
    I also read it as "litch" or even "leech". Besides,

Spoiler: SoD content
    Show
    When Redcloak proposed the idea about turning Xykon into a lich, X was repulsed because he thought Reddie wanted to turn him into a parasite ("leech"). This suggests pronunciation is similar, even though the comic sometimes plays around spelling/pronunciation.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

20. - Top - End - #20

SolithKnightGuy

English irregular nouns and verbs is what makes it fun
    Consider the pronunciation of lichen.
    I remember an audiobook where the voice actress pronounced picket (and the context was clearly militarily) as piquet (the French game)
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2022-04-24 at 08:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Trollpunk: 1184
    Who said "trollpunk?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I know what the gods will create next if the OOTS world gets destroyed!
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Old English lic was /lic/~/litʃ/, because /k/ was regularly palatalized in that kind of environment; see also OE ic, ME ich vs Dutch ik, "I"; OE gelic, ME ilich vs Dutch gelijk, "alike".
    …more
    I’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist? I feel like I remember seeing a post where you said they but it might have been someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I wish to fill your intellect with light,
    light so aflame with life that cannot cease,
    in your eyes it will tremble like a star. -Beatrice, Paradiso 2.109-11

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vulsutyr View Post
    I’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist?
    That thorn in his name is a good sign

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulsutyr View Post
    IĀ’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist? I feel like I remember seeing a post where you said they but it might have been someone else.
    Glad that someone enjoys my ramblings :)
    I'm not a linguist (or I kinda am? I'm a translator), I'm just into linguistics, especially historical linguistics, and also into Germanic languages, particularly Old English (and now Dutch). So I learned a bit here and there.
    ungelic is us

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Low budget rip off of Terminator 2.
    Not a low budget rip off of Terminator?

Terminator 2 seemed to change the time travel rules as T-1000 didn't appear to need a skinsuit to go back in time (though it's been a while since I saw the start so I'm open to correction)