New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Whosoever views this Trailer shall possess the power of Thor: Love and Thunder

YouTube Trailer

Suprisingly low key after the Ragnarok trailer. I suspect most people know if they are going to see this and might just need a reminder it's a two-fer with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wouldn't have called Thor being the first MCU hero to make it to a fourth solo-focused film. I am definitely going to see this as soon as I can, though it will be missing something without Hiddleston.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Whosoever views this Trailer shall possess the power of Thor: Love and Thunder

I was close to indifferent about this until I watched the trailer.

Now...it looks like goofy fun. The Thor movies have always been big dumb fun, but this leans even further into it. Personally hoping for more Thor and much less Guardians, although the cloak was a nice touch.

Spoiler: Jane
    Show
    And I assume we're getting a little multiverse action, with alternate Jane as alternate Thor.

That also means I wouldn't write off Hiddleston just yet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Whosoever views this Trailer shall possess the power of Thor: Love and Thunder

Goofy, dumb fun Thor is far better than Shakespearean Dramatic Thor anyways, so I'm very glad to see that trend continue.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I tend to lean towards goofy fun for superheroes in general (the only superhero comic in the last 10 years I kept up with for an entire run was Ryan North's run on The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl) and have a lot of trust built up for Taika Waititi, so I'm pre-sold on this film

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Show
    And I assume we're getting a little multiverse action, with alternate Jane as alternate Thor.

That also means I wouldn't write off Hiddleston just yet.
    Spoiler: I haven't followed production rumors for the film, but...
    Show
    I kind of hope not. After What IF?, No Way Home, Loki and with the upcoming Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, the next Spider-Verse film and whatever the heck DC is doing, I'm worried about multiverse fatigue.

Jane Foster was not well handled in the first two films, but I'd rather they try to salvage that rather than just start over.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Show
    With Mjonir looking like it's been reforged from the shards, I hope it's Jane from the main MCU universe.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

This is adapting easily one of the worst bits from Thor's recent history but after the miracle they worked with Civil War I will say I'm interested despite myself.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of looks like they might be visiting Zeus and the other (in the context of Sci Fi) Greek gods at some point.

What do you think they are? Same species as the Asgardians? or just a different humanoid alien posing as (in the context of Sci Fi) gods?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2022-04-18 at 02:59 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jane Foster was not well handled in the first two films, but I'd rather they try to salvage that rather than just start over.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Either way it's done, the trick here is getting Natalie Portman to commit. She's a great actress when she gives it her all, but she has a bad tendency to coast vacantly through projects she's not locked-in on. That very much includes the first two Thor films. Here's hoping Taika can talk her into cutting loose for a few scenes - the trailer makes it look like she's only in the film a little bit, which I find hopeful.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Kind of looks like they might be visiting Zeus and the other Greek gods at some point.

What do you think they are? Same species as the Asgardians? or just a different humanoid alien posing as gods?
    I really hope they drop the Aliens posing as Gods things for the other pantheons. It was lame when they did it with Asgard and with stuff like Dr. Strange and Moon Knight bring some honest to goodness magic and wonder into the setting to liven things up there isn't really a need for it anymore. Although I'm betting Borr(ing) the God Butcher kills just about all of them off anyways so it probably won't be a long term problem.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I really hope they drop the Aliens posing as Gods things for the other pantheons. It was lame when they did it with Asgard and with stuff like Dr. Strange and Moon Knight bring some honest to goodness magic and wonder into the setting to liven things up there isn't really a need for it anymore. Although I'm betting Borr(ing) the God Butcher kills just about all of them off anyways so it probably won't be a long term problem.
    maybe it'll be a reverse of the trope.

instead of it being aliens who are / pose as old human (in the context of Sci Fi) gods

it's aliens who were inspired by old human (in the context of Sci Fi) gods and just adopted their culture and stories to themselves.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Love that Tessa Thompson gets a Sweet Child O' Mine trailer before March 2020 and another one in April 2022, she deserves it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Goofy, dumb fun Thor is far better than Shakespearean Dramatic Thor anyways, so I'm very glad to see that trend continue.
    That is the joke though, Thor is his old punch line. Even though Thor is not a Chris Claremont character, Thor uses the righting trick where he embodies two traits and they are often in tension with one another. Kitty Pryde (now Kate), is Child and Woman, Colossus is the big strong man and the sensitive artist, Logan is animal / wild man and also human / surrogate father, Storm is both a Goddess and just a Human so on and so on.

Thor is a Shakespearean Dramatic Lawful Good guy, and other times he is a Chaotic Dumb Jock Guy who tries to be kind. The loveable archetype like that guy from Emperor’s New Groove who is the muscled goon to Yzma.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-04-18 at 03:08 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    maybe it'll be a reverse of the trope.

instead of it being aliens who are / pose as old human (in the context of Sci Fi) gods

it's aliens who were inspired by old human (in the context of Sci Fi) gods and just adopted their culture and stories to themselves.
    That could be pretty funny but given the way the MCU stamped out a lot of the more mystical/magical elements of it's setting earlier on I would rather they didn't.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Normally, movie trailers don't do much for me, regardless of my interest in the film in question, but I really dig this one. Granted, I was always going to see this film on the basis of it being a sequel to Thor: Ragnarok alone (that being one of my favorite MCU films, alongside the Guardians movies), but this trailer feels somehow a lot less cookie-cutter than movie trailers usually do to me. I don't know exactly why - maybe just because I know this is a superhero film, and yet there was 0 action scene footage shown? Or maybe it's just the music.

In any case, nice, looking forward to it. And I should say, the tone of the trailer kind of makes me think that, even though they haven't said it (as far as I'm aware), the film may be a send-off to Chris Hemsworth's Thor. The talk of using his hands as tools of peace, his superhero days being behind him, etc makes it feel like he's retiring - and then ending as it does with the reveal of Jane Foster's Mighty Thor feels like it implies a passing of the torch to her. Could be an incorrect implication they did either accidentally or to be deliberately deceptive I suppose, but still, it's there. And I'd be good with it, I think.

Also, hell yes to see Thor and the Guardians in the same film here!
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

and then ending as it does with the reveal of Jane Foster's Mighty Thor feels like it implies a passing of the torch to her. Could be an incorrect implication they did either accidentally or to be deliberately deceptive I suppose, but still, it's there. And I'd be good with it, I think.
    Im meanwhile not. I think Mighty Thor was one of the dumbest things Marvel comics have done.
    Its basically the equivalent of Tony Starks girlfriend starting to drink and call herself Tony Stark. Or well no its literally the equivalent.

But the situation here is different. Very clearly its a reforged mjølner.
    So i do have faith this will be a different and awesome story.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Im meanwhile not. I think Mighty Thor was one of the dumbest things Marvel comics have done.
    Its basically the equivalent of Tony Starks girlfriend starting to drink and call herself Tony Stark. Or well no its literally the equivalent.

Nobody complains about Wally West becoming the Flash by recreating the Barry Allen accident for Wally was cousins to Iris West (the flash girlfriend at the time, later wife). Likewise the same thing with sidekicks and replacements going all the way back to April 1940.

But when your ex takes your mantle, and thus there is a gender swap of the Superhero "title" everyone* loses their minds

*not literally everyone, this is hyperbole

-----

Jane gets Mjölnir in the divorce "breakup" and the fictional character Thor Odinson is happy for her.

Edit: as for comics as a story hook Jane has a wonderful story hook as why we have a Female Thor. She is a Thor who actually answers people's prayers yet she is mortal. Yes you do not need to be a woman to write such an arc, but the hammer being passed to another, a mortal, is kind of key to this story hook. It is a good story.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-04-18 at 05:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* I don't know a thing about how the comics handled it, I'm commenting only with the knowledge that she's taking up the mantle in this movie.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

sidenote I enjoy the fact Portman has "Thor" arms and she is showing them off in the trailer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Nobody complains about Wally West becoming the Flash by recreating the Barry Allen accident for Wally was cousins to Iris West (the flash girlfriend at the time, later wife). Likewise the same thing with sidekicks and replacements going all the way back to April 1940.

But when your ex takes your mantle, and thus there is a gender swap of the Superhero "title" everyone* loses their minds

Response to the change was tainted right off the bat considering how stupid the situation surrounding Thor loosing his hammer was. Although I will point out that it being Jane Foster was actually a big mystery at the time which also did not help the transition. It was when they used her first issue to try and pick a fight that they really got one but that was probably by design since it moved sales to start the new character off.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Response to the change was tainted right off the bat considering how stupid the situation surrounding Thor loosing his hammer was. Although I will point out that it being Jane Foster was actually a big mystery at the time which also did not help the transition. It was when they used her first issue to try and pick a fight that they really got one but that was probably by design since it moved sales to start the new character off.
    All that is true, all that is a yes.

And it is a limit of the 3 months "prior" solicits to even the first issue. And like you said you did not find out it was Jane Foster till issue 8 which is 11 months prior to the first news happening.

So if you did not go in with an open mind for stories are not solved in the first issue, they are serial like tv shows, you can get all emotionally wrapped up and create a final judgement inside one's mind before even finishing the story. A reparative read and a paranoid read to borrow Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick-ian terms.

None of this is new but lots of people are frustrated about it in the industry for example Jonathan Hickman another comic book writer loves his substack for he does not have to write in a way where you play this solicits expectation game, something he does not think sell more issues but since the comic book stores have a business model where they survive off pre-orders we get what we get. (Similar stuff happens with a paperback and hardback and barnes and noble, but it is also different in some details.)

-----

And for a multi issue story of course you will create tension such as Thor Odinson fighting this new mystery Thor in the first issue, or some other tension hook for that is just how comics and narratives work, you need to create the thrill juices flowing just like a tv show pilot will also have its own hook.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-04-18 at 06:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

-----

Jane gets Mjölnir in the divorce "breakup" and the fictional character Thor Odinson is happy for her.

Edit: as for comics as a story hook Jane has a wonderful story hook as why we have a Female Thor. She is a Thor who actually answers people's prayers yet she is mortal. Yes you do not need to be a woman to write such an arc, but the hammer being passed to another, a mortal, is kind of key to this story hook. It is a good story.
    There is a flaw in this example. And hence your overlooking a key point.

Wally West became THE FLASH. Wally West didnt become Barry Allen.

*shrug* I don't know a thing about how the comics handled it, I'm commenting only with the knowledge that she's taking up the mantle in this movie.
    As far as i have been able to tell. Badly. But they also screwed up Civil War.
    And for that matter a lot of things. There is likely a reason Manga is currently outdoing Comics.

While for the movie. We dont as such know whats going on. We only got a 4 sec clip.
    But there isnt a mantle to take up. Thats part of what the comics got so much flak over.
    Hamfisted writers trying to create a mantle they could pass on to a gender swapped version.
    Only, Thor Odinson, God of Thunder, is the identity. Its about as silly as someone trying to become Zeus, Nick Fury or Sue Storm.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2022-04-18 at 06:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I tend to lean towards goofy fun for superheroes in general (the only superhero comic in the last 10 years I kept up with for an entire run was Ryan North's run on The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl) and have a lot of trust built up for Taika Waititi, so I'm pre-sold on this film
    Same here on Squirrel Girl. That was the first superhero book I followed since I was a kid, and the first print subscription I've had since the 80s! I loved that book, and I hope SG gets a film sometime soon, even if it's a more a weird side story film rather than main continuity (maybe even better that way).

This trailer looks great, I was pretty excited about the film to begin with!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

And for that matter a lot of things. There is likely a reason Manga is currently outdoing Comics.

While for the movie. We dont as such know whats going on. We only got a 4 sec clip.
    But there isnt a mantle to take up. Thats part of what the comics got so much flak over.
    Hamfisted writers trying to create a mantle they could pass on to a gender swapped version.
    Only, Thor Odinson, God of Thunder, is the identity. Its about as silly as someone trying to become Zeus, Nick Fury or Sue Storm.
    Um you're kinda wrong on a few counts. Thor's been a Mantle since literally the first issue. It actually even being the real Thor was a retcon, now it was a Retcon that happened fairly early but it was a retcon still. Originally Blake Transformed into someone with the power of Thor. But wasn't actually Thor. Though he called himself that

Later still you have someone like Eric Masterson who also got the power of Thor, and shared his body with him. But then Thor left and retired. But Eric still called himself Thor even though the other original Thor was kinda still around. He changed his name to Thunderstrike when Thor came back.

Then Jane called herself Thor, even though Thor was still around. So other people calling themselves Thor as a title that's passed on has been part of the mythos since day one.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Um you're kinda wrong on a few counts. Thor's been a Mantle since literally the first issue. It actually even being the real Thor was a retcon, now it was a Retcon that happened fairly early but it was a retcon still. Originally Blake Transformed into someone with the power of Thor. But wasn't actually Thor. Though he called himself that

Later still you have someone like Eric Masterson who also got the power of Thor, and shared his body with him. But then Thor left and retired. But Eric still called himself Thor even though the other original Thor was kinda still around. He changed his name to Thunderstrike when Thor came back.

Then Jane called herself Thor, even though Thor was still around. So other people calling themselves Thor as a title that's passed on has been part of the mythos since day one.
    Yea Thor not being Thor was stupid from day one though and they caught onto that and changed it real fast. By the time he became Odinson it was too well established as being his name to really make sense so of course people were, and still are, baffled by the whole situation. Then once again, everything to do with Thor and how he became unworthy was so from the ground up wrongheaded and bafflingly ill thought out that it poisoned the well for whatever they did next regardless. Add in how awful it was once you did find out the "three words" much later and they basically kneecapped Jane Foster on her way in.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if your objection is simply to using the name "Thor" in her superhero identity, you are going to be disappointed. Because they've been referring to her "becoming Thor" in promotions for the film since it was announced. Hell, even the official description of this trailer on Youtube refers to her wielding Mjolnir "as the Mighty Thor." Pretty obvious they're not going to make up some new name for Jane-with-Mjolnir here given that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

And Marvel Six Sixteen comics are nothing like Norse Myths. Your point? It is a title in the comics and it is the name of a Norse God in our reality. So many contradictory things where Marvel Comics are not like the myths so why do we only care when gender is involved? No one brings up Loki not being Thor’s brother, nor do the bring up how Loki was sleeping with Thor’s wife Sif.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Yes they did. It was just 60 years ago before the internet. There was also a ton of complaints when Allen came back and stole the mantle from Wally again. They also complained when Hal Jordan got replaced, and every other fan favorite character ever. That's why they all eventually come back. They couldn't even replace Peter Parker with a clone of himself without a ton of fan backlash. People get attached to characters. That's kinda the whole point of them.

In a larger scope, the reason this change was so poorly received is because it came right in the middle of the phase when Marvel was trying to replace every single major mainstay character.

During this time frame we had:
    "Thor is now a woman and she's better with mjollnir than Thor ever was!"
    "Iron Man is now a black woman and she's smarter than Tony Stark!"
    "Captain America is now a black guy!"
    "Hawkeye is a girl and she's a better shot than Clint ever was!"
    "Hulk is asian"

Individually most of these stories aren't terrible, and we all understand how important representation is, but the fatigue from seeing almost every single fan favorite replaced was real, and we all knew that most of it wasn't going to stick.

Diversity is great, but there's a better way to go about creating it than just replacing fan favorites, telling fans the new versions are superior, and that they're stupid and wrong if they don't like it. That's what most of these stories did. Look at characters like Miles Morales, John Stewart, James Rhodes, Kamala Khan who were also ethnically diverse legacy characters that are almost universally loved and didn't face the same backlash.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-04-18 at 11:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Yes they did. It was just 60 years ago before the internet. There was also a ton of complaints when Allen came back and stole the mantle from Wally again. They also complained when Hal Jordan got replaced, and every other fan favorite character ever. That's why they all eventually come back. They couldn't even replace Peter Parker with a clone of himself without a ton of fan backlash. People get attached to characters. That's kinda the whole point of them.

In a larger scope, the reason this change was so poorly received is because it came right in the middle of the phase when Marvel was trying to replace every single major mainstay character.

"Hulk is asian"

Individually most of these stories aren't terrible, and we all understand how important representation is, but the fatigue from seeing almost every single fan favorite replaced was real, and we all knew that most of it wasn't going to stick.

Diversity is great, but there's a better way to go about creating it than just replacing fan favorites, telling fans the new versions are superior, and that they're stupid and wrong if they don't like it. That's what most of these stories did. Look at characters like Miles Morales, John Stewart, James Rhodes, Kamala Khan who were also ethnically diverse legacy characters that are almost universally loved and didn't face the same backlash.
    Actually Doctor Doom was Iron Man at the time Riri Williams was Iron Heart.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

"Hulk is asian"

We are talking different things. I brought up people never told Wally he is not the flash, that name did not belong to him when Wally was the main flash, and then it was reversed where Allen became the flash again and Wally was lost to ebstablished stakes. Sure people did not like it, but they did not try to Gatekeep it and say you are not the real hero.

And once again with your examples nobody did that to Amadeus Cho with Hulk but they did do it to Jane Foster with Thor and Riri Williams even though Williams never was going to be Iron Man. The gatekeeping is artificial, people disliking change though happens everywhere, but the intensity and he vitriol is not the same.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

sidenote I enjoy the fact Portman has "Thor" arms and she is showing them off in the trailer
    I...noticed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

And Marvel Six Sixteen comics are nothing like Norse Myths. Your point? It is a title in the comics and it is the name of a Norse God in our reality. So many contradictory things where Marvel Comics are not like the myths so why do we only care when gender is involved? No one brings up Loki not being Thor’s brother, nor do the bring up how Loki was sleeping with Thor’s wife Sif.
    My point being, that even in the comics, Thor Odinson is the name and identity of the god of thunder.
    It is not a title. Thor Odinson was born Thor Odinson. Its not a secret super hero identity like Iron Man or Captain Amerira.

We are talking different things. I brought up people never told Wally he is not the flash, that name did not belong to him when Wally was the main flash, and then it was reversed where Allen became the flash again and Wally was lost to ebstablished stakes. Sure people did not like it, but they did not try to Gatekeep it and say you are not the real hero.
    And i already brought up the flaw in your argument here. Flash is a super hero name. Thor is a birth name.
    If its not the same situation you cant draw a parallel for comparison.