New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Question Having writers-block.

I have a character that I need a backstory for. I have some super vague things about his backstory, but nothing I really like. I am not super-good when it comes to writing backstories, but this time I really have no inspiration whatsoever. How do you overcome writers-block?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Having writers-block.

You start writing..... and you don't care what it reads like while you are writing.

That is what editing is for.
    *This Space Available*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Crazy idea: let the backstory sit, and just play with the character. Seriously!

If you're in the habit of figuring out everything about the character before play, then this sounds weird as heck, but it can also be very liberating. Think of it like a character introduced partway through a fantasy novel, who you don't know everything about, just yet. Maybe all you know is they were in a war -- whether their side won and why they left is a mystery. Maybe all you know is they have this weird tendency of looking over their shoulder all the time, and they get visibly uncomfortable whenever law enforcement is nearby. These are quick sketches, but the idea is that you can build a totally playable, lifelike character from these quick strokes, and then figure everything else out later as you play.

Worth a shot, if you've never tried it. But if you really want to dredge a backstory up, jot down some quick scenes with them. Their personality, reactions to other characters, and outlook on various things will form the core of a concept, and then you can work backwards from there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

A number of RPGs (like D&D5e and Traveler) use backgrounds and often have procedurally/randomly generated details. You can peruse that until something interesting catches your eye, either follow the program using dice or just deciding what sounds best for your character.

One thing I sometimes do is decide on the class/skills/powers/etc for my character first and then work backwards to justify why they have those abilities. The results are often interesting.
    For example yesterday I invented a living construct pirate in the shape of a rum barrel. The crew needed a first mate so they animated a rum barrel and gave it the necessary skills to be a pirate. Then it became self aware and wanted to replicate so it turned to religion, then to science. At the end it had the ambition to run its own pirate ship crewed by barrelpirates. Their name was TANC (Temporary Automated Nautical Crew), their shtick was that they was extremely hard to kill.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sir-Carlos
    I am not super-good when it comes to writing backstories, but this time I really have no inspiration whatsoever. How do you overcome writers-block?
    Read history. There’s more personalities and improbable stories than you could ever imagine.

I once built a version of Machiavelli as a third-level beguiler, on the run from political enemies and researching material for a book on war and power. I’d just read a biography of him and could rattle off completely true details of his backstory, adapted to the campaign world. The DM and other players thought my “improv” was hilarious—and I don’t think they ever realized who he was based on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Stop writing backstories. Pick some personality traits and start playing the game.

If you need some inspiration for a core personality traits, there are any number of games out there with suggestions or even random tables. I'm sure you can find some online too.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Carlos View Post
    I have a character that I need a backstory for. I have some super vague things about his backstory, but nothing I really like. I am not super-good when it comes to writing backstories, but this time I really have no inspiration whatsoever. How do you overcome writers-block?
    I wonder if someone on the forum writes backstories...

Hrm! Oh! Hey! What's that in my signature?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I wonder if someone on the forum writes backstories...

Hrm! Oh! Hey! What's that in my signature?
    Hey, your work looks really awesome! But I want to come up with something myself :-). But thanks!

@all: So I took your advice and just played the session without much of a backstory. It worked pretty well and I got more inspiration than I would have thought! Unfortunately though, my character f******* died. Now I am glad I didn't have much written down xD.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hey, your work looks really awesome! But I want to come up with something myself :-). But thanks!
    @all: So I took your advice and just played the session without much of a backstory. It worked pretty well and I got more inspiration than I would have thought! Unfortunately though, my character f******* died. Now I am glad I didn't have much written down xD.
    First - sucks that the character died. Even if ye didn't invest too much time developing it.

Second if ye ever need help coming up with something - and wanna write it yerself - I am happy to help brain storm. #FeedCreativity
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Hahahahaha

That sucks, but it's absolutely classic TTRPG to have a basically developed character die, which is why I find it so funny. OTOH the reason it's so classic, and characters backstory being a standard thing is a modern (post 2000s?) thing, is that character death used to be commonplace in most TTRPGs.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I read somewhere that writer's block is your subconscious trying to tell you there's a problem with your idea or story. I mean like literally a logical error or missing part somewhere. It manifests as "I just can't seem to get motivated to write" or "I'm out of ideas" but really it's a Check Engine light. You have an assumption or abstraction in your concept somewhere that doesn't resolve properly to the specific, or you have a character doing something for no real reason and your story isn't moving because something doesn't make sense.

Once I began thinking of writer's block like this, it basically went away. Or rather, I take it for what it really is and go back and dig out the problem. It still eats up time but it's not idle time -- it's problem-solving time.

I suggest getting very basic. Come up with a problem your PC has to deal with that has no single right/happy answer. Use a logic puzzle to get going if you have to, like the thing with the people stuck on the train tracks and you have to flip the lever but then send the train and passengers off a cliff. Go all Sophie's Choice. Once you put a character through an event like that, it kind of breaks them, and then you can use that broken state to give them interesting motivations later on. Characters need a non-negotiable emotional drive -- some need that they can't get around or talk their way out of. Their cleverness comes from their attempts to satisfy this need, which might put them at odds with friends or society or even themselves.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    I read somewhere that writer's block is your subconscious trying to tell you there's a problem with your idea or story. I mean like literally a logical error or missing part somewhere. It manifests as "I just can't seem to get motivated to write"
    IME, no, it often really just is "I can't seem to get motivated". But a lot of what I write is really monotonous since I do writing for SEO and marketing.

My typical advice, and honestly for any problem you're stuck on, is the usual: **** off and do something else for a bit. If your mood is low, it should boost. If your inspiration is low, maybe you'll find something that inspires you.

Read, watch some tv, listen to a podcast, just enjoy nature. It doesn't really matter WHAT you do, eventually something will slam into your brain.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by EggKookoo
    I read somewhere that writer's block is your subconscious trying to tell you there's a problem with your idea or story.
    I wouldn’t put much credence in this. Why creativity does or doesn’t happen usually involves a great many factors, most of which have more to do with life at large than picky details of a story or a song.

I’m usually very aware of issues and inconsistencies in a storyline, and working those out is part of the process—often a hassle, but also enjoyable in its own way, as another kind of challenge to overcome.

As it happens, just last night I managed to continue something that had been stalled out—not from any problem with the story itself, only a question of finding the time and focus.

Originally Posted by Rynjin
    Read, watch some tv, listen to a podcast, just enjoy nature.
    Completely agreed, especially the last bit.

I find any kind of outdoors motion is invaluable—whether bicycling, kayaking, walking on a beach, anything that lets the body throw itself into a task while the mind wanders free.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    As it happens, just last night I managed to continue something that had been stalled out—not from any problem with the story itself, only a question of finding the time and focus.
    Maybe it's a matter of definitions. I don't consider it writer's block to lack time or lack freedom from distractions. To me, writer's block is when conditions are good for writing and still nothing comes, and there's no obvious reason why.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Read, watch some tv, listen to a podcast, just enjoy nature. It doesn't really matter WHAT you do, eventually something will slam into your brain.
    Other suggestions along this line. (Although I have almost never found watching TV to help).

Go to the golf range, hit a bucket or two. Complete focus on your golf swing / making good impact moves the 'brain muscles' around, which IMO rests the 'brain muscles' that you had strained that led to writers block ... but if you don't golf this doesn't help much.

Write about something else entirely. This may kick start something in your brain related to what you were supposed to write about.
    Spoiler: RL experiences here
    Show
    (I have had this occur many times when I was drafting formal correspondence on an admiral's staff and had run into a wall).

Go out dancing, bike riding, digging holes in the garden, or other physical activity.
    Physical release is often a way to get the brain out of a rut.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-05-03 at 10:09 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16

You also don't have to write a story.

The background can also just be bullet-points to highlight anything you believe is important.

A character background doesn't always have to be a couple of paragraphs of deep motivational events or whatever. Sometimes it's as easy as "Bob came from a simple life but is now out on adventure".
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Did you come up with a new character? Will you be continue to be part of that campaign? Did you backstory the new character? What backstories did the other other people at the table write up for their toons?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah. What if you tried like an AI writing tool to fill bits in where you're stuck
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-05-13 at 09:12 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)