New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC II

Lounge
    Ryker shrugs as John points out everything he’s done for Emi to get ready for tomorrow. “Look, I’m just sayin’ it’s a lot of flowers. But I see your point. You got it bad,” he says with a grin at John.

“Are you saying you wouldn’t do all of that for me?” Sidney asks Ryker not so innocently.

“Baby, you know I’d do anything for you,” Ryker replies, taking her hand. “But we both know that all that is a little much for us. Especially me.”

“I’m lucky if I get a single flower for my birthday,” Sidney says as she accepts a gardenia from John.

“You told me I didn’t need to get you flowers!” Ryker says with a roll of his eyes. “I believed you. How was I supposed to know you were lying to me? And you know you prefer a good pile of scrap metal anyway.”

“Look, sometimes I just wanna be treated like a normal woman,” Sidney says with a small sigh. She smiles. “I’m just kidding, Ryker. You’re right, I’ll take scrap over flowers any day.” She gets up to cut another slice of cake for Keith and offers it to him.

Yuki smiles at the pair as she takes a rose from John. “Thank you, John. They’re beautiful.”

Drake fist bumps Keith. “Thanks man, I’ll get a case of Modelo’s later, and maybe something else.” He glances down at his arms as both John and Keith raise their concerns, and his expression turns from relaxed to irritated. “After Calvin’s and I’s ‘talk’ in the kitchen, I was a little ****ed off, so I asked Ryker to spar with me. These are just a couple love taps from him.”

“It was a damn good session,” Ryker says. “You should get ****ed more often.”

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Lounge
    Ryker shrugs as John points out everything he’s done for Emi to get ready for tomorrow. “Look, I’m just sayin’ it’s a lot of flowers. But I see your point. You got it bad,” he says with a grin at John.

“Are you saying you wouldn’t do all of that for me?” Sidney asks Ryker not so innocently.

“Baby, you know I’d do anything for you,” Ryker replies, taking her hand. “But we both know that all that is a little much for us. Especially me.”

“I’m lucky if I get a single flower for my birthday,” Sidney says as she accepts a gardenia from John.

“You told me I didn’t need to get you flowers!” Ryker says with a roll of his eyes. “I believed you. How was I supposed to know you were lying to me? And you know you prefer a good pile of scrap metal anyway.”

“Look, sometimes I just wanna be treated like a normal woman,” Sidney says with a small sigh. She smiles. “I’m just kidding, Ryker. You’re right, I’ll take scrap over flowers any day.” She gets up to cut another slice of cake for Keith and offers it to him.
    John waits for Sidney to turn her back and motions Ryker to follow his lead. “Doubtless he doesn’t treat you like an ordinary woman because your are an extraordinary one.”

Yuki smiles at the pair as she takes a rose from John. “Thank you, John. They’re beautiful.”

Drake fist bumps Keith. “Thanks man, I’ll get a case of Modelo’s later, and maybe something else.” He glances down at his arms as both John and Keith raise their concerns, and his expression turns from relaxed to irritated. “After Calvin’s and I’s ‘talk’ in the kitchen, I was a little ****ed off, so I asked Ryker to spar with me. These are just a couple love taps from him.”

John smiles, trying to smooth over the memory of earlier in the kitchen. “I think I’ll stick to yoga and Tai Chi. Your sessions look like they would break me like a twig.

“Give me a second to put these in the kitchen and I’ll be right back for some cake. Anyone need anything from there?”

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith nods. "True, we could have. John may know somethin' though he may feel like it's not his secret to tell. Never know what that guy is thinkin'." Keith cracked his knuckles as they continued walking. "Would be helpful if we knew any kind of signal phrases they used, if any. Could be like the Masons, just out in the open and we'd never know."

"We're gonna find him man. Planned on doin' a deep dive into the net to see what if anythin' could be found." Keith's eyes narrow. "Oh, and that horse is impressive too."
    "Thanks. Bastion's Badass. And I know we'll find him. I just want those bastards to know that heroes aint easy targets. That the kind of stuff that emboldens *******s to try. We gotta hit them back and hard."

Lounge 4pm
    John finds the South Side team members and both Sidney and Stella gathered around the coffee table that has a red and white frosted cake on it that has several pieces cut out. Drake and Yuki are seated next to each other on the couch, with Ryker and Sidney down a little further. Stella occupies one of the lounge chairs opposite the coffee table, and Aeryn floats cross-legged next to her.

There a lot of talk and laughter that quiets as John comes in.

“Thanks John,” Drake says with a smile at the magician. “This stuff is gonna be delicious.”

“That’s a great brand,” Yuki says. “And a beautiful saki set.”

Ryker looks over at John’s grocery shopping and smirks. “That’s a big *** bouquet. You think you maybe went a little overboard?”

Sidney sends her boyfriend a withering look before looking up at John. “I think they’re gorgeous, John. Any girl would be happy to get those.”

Stella nods, agreeing with her friend. “I love white roses.”

“You want a piece of cake?” Drake asks. “You look busy, but I promise it’s probably the best red velvet cake you’ve ever had.”

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Looking closer at Drake’s forearms as he gestures the cake, it’s easy to see a lot of new bruises forming.
    "That's a big ass bouquet." Calvin says as he comes back in from outside.

Keith looks around at the Market and watches most of the forensics teams doing their thing. "Guess we'll be lookin' around some of the outskirts then." Keith takes a look around to see the nearest place that had a decent view of the square.
    It's ok. I know where we can start lookin " Calvin says looking around before walking past the barrier and towards a shop with a Barber's pole spinning outside.

"Vernon's Chop and Mop." Calvin says Smiling. "You ever want to get the skinny while getting a shape up? Come talk to uncle Vern."

"Uncle Vern!"
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-05-03 at 11:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274

AssassinGuy

Lounge

Lounge at 4P.M.
    Keith laughs a bit at the exchange between Ryker and Sid and nods when she offers him some cake. "Thank you so much Sidney! Ryker's told me all about your bakin' so I've been lookin' forward to this!" He takes a seat much like Aeryn just floating in the air cross-legged to take a bite. "This, is the best **** cake I have ever tasted. And I have to agree with John there."

Keith fistbumps Drake and nods. "Couldn't buy it and didn't know what you would have liked either way so this worked out." He does look at the ground when Drake mentions his talk with Calvin. "I get that, honestly about to head to the gym for a bit after the meetin' to work out some frustration." He let out a chuckle at Ryker's comment. "Good way to let off steam that's for sure."

Keith does nod at John's comment. "After the one attempt, I know I would get beaten down in a second." Keith shakes his head. "I'll grab some water in a bit, but thank you, John."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-05-02 at 09:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "That's a big ass bouquet." Calvin says as he comes back in from outside.
    John looked down at the bouquet as he picks up his bags to carry them to the kitchen.”Yeah,” he replies. “It is. I hope she appreciates the gesture rather than freaking out because of it.”

John took his bags into the kitchen, putting everything away carefully and adding the new dishware to the dishwasher. His breathing had begin to steady as he put things away. Tomorrow, he would begin to get nervous again but, for now, that he had accomplished everything he needed to made him feel calmer.

All that was left to do now was attend the meeting in an hour and go on the brief mission tonight to track down a supplier that Keith and Will had tracked down. After that, he would be able to get a good night’s rest and be ready for Emi to arrive tomorrow.

He smiled at the thought of her coming to the base and walked back into the lounge, looking forward to Sidney’s cake and repeating to himself the promise that he would not ask her to help with things until she was certain he was not taking advantage of the situation.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lounge
    John waits for Sidney to turn her back and motions Ryker to follow his lead. “Doubtless he doesn’t treat you like an ordinary woman because you are an extraordinary one.”
    It takes a few seconds for Ryker to pick up what John’s putting down, but he does follow up with, “What other kind of woman would be excited about a pile of metal for her birthday? Just kiddin’, Sid. You’re amazing. I still can’t believe you put up with me.”

Sidney turns to look at the two of them after she hands Keith his piece of cake. “Those words, Ryker? Remember them,” she says solemnly before she smiles at her boyfriend and sits back down next to him.

John smiles, trying to smooth over the memory of earlier in the kitchen. “I think I’ll stick to yoga and Tai Chi. Your sessions look like they would break me like a twig.

Keith does nod at John's comment. "After the one attempt, I know I would get beaten down in a second."
    Drake grins. “Not every sparring session has to be a beat down. Just some of them need to be.”

Stella rolls her eyes. “Men,” she sighs.

Once John returns the lounge, Aeryn gets his attention. “If you need any help getting food ready tomorrow, Sidney and I are happy to help.”

“I’m not sure how culinarily inclined you are,” Sidney says as she cuts a slice of cake for John. “You said she’s coming over for tea, right? I can make a tray of Jammie Dodgers or Jaffa Cakes if you didn’t buy any.”

Market
    It's ok. I know where we can start lookin " Calvin says looking around before walking past the barrier and towards a shop with a Barber's pole spinning outside.

"Vernon's Chop and Mop." Calvin says Smiling. "You ever want to get the skinny while getting a shape up? Come talk to uncle Vern."

"Uncle Vern!"
    An older gentleman with a shiny bald head and short, kempt beard looks up from the small TV in the corner of the shop that currently has the news on at a low volume. The rest of the shop is empty.

He grins as he stands and greets Calvin. “Hey, Cal! What brings you back to my neck of the woods? Been a while since I saw you.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-05-03 at 10:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

GreataxeFighterGuy

Lounge

It takes a few seconds for Ryker to pick up what John’s putting down, but he does follow up with, “What other kind of woman would be excited about a pile of metal for her birthday? Just kiddin’, Sid. You’re amazing. I still can’t believe you put up with me.”

Sidney turns to look at the two of them after she hands Keith his piece of cake. “Those words, Ryker? Remember them,” she says solemnly before she smiles at her boyfriend and sits back down next to him.

Drake grins. “Not every sparring session has to be a beat down. Just some of them need to be.”

Once John returns the lounge, Aeryn gets his attention. “If you need any help getting food ready tomorrow, Sidney and I are happy to help.”

“I’m not sure how culinarily inclined you are,” Sidney says. “You said she’s coming over for tea, right? I can make a tray of Jammie Dodgers or Jaffa Cakes if you didn’t buy any.”
    "Ohh Cake. Somebody's Birthday?"

Market

An older gentleman with a shiny bald head and short, kempt beard looks up from the small TV in the corner of the shop that currently has the news on at a low volume. The rest of the shop is empty.

He grins as he stands and greets Calvin. “Hey, Cal! What brings you back to my neck of the woods? Been a while since I saw you.”[/QUOTE]

"Yes sir! Been working and at school. Trying to make ya'll proud." Calvin says all smiles. You got an open chair? I could sure use a Shape. Where's Darius? I ain't see him when I came in." He says, looking around. "Oh, My bad. Sorry for the rudeness. Keith, This is Vernon Sawyer, Uncle Vern. Best Barber in Iron Station. Been coming here since before I can remember You want a cut, Him and Darius can clean you up right." Calvin says laughing before he leans over to Keith. "Be careful of Shakes. He's a nice old guy but his hands well... the nickname makes sense."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-05-03 at 11:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278

AssassinGuy

"Thanks. Bastion's Badass. And I know we'll find him. I just want those bastards to know that heroes aint easy targets. That the kind of stuff that emboldens *******s to try. We gotta him them back and hard."

"Uncle Vern!"
    Market

He grins as he stands and greets Calvin. “Hey, Cal! What brings you back to my neck of the woods? Been a while since I saw you.”
    "Yes sir! Been working and at school. Trying to make ya'll proud." Calvin says all smiles. You got an open chair? I could sure use a Shape. Where's Darius? I ain't see him when I came in." He says, looking around. "Oh, My bad. Sorry for the rudeness. Keith, This is Vernon Sawyer, Uncle Vern. Best Barber in Iron Station. Been coming here since before I can remember You want a cut, Him and Darius can clean you up right." Calvin says laughing before he leans over to Keith. "Be careful of Shakes. He's a nice old guy but his hands well... the nickname makes sense."
    Market Time

Keith nods. "Wouldn't mind a companion like 'im. And no, they certainly ain't that easy to pick on. Part of what has me wonderin' about this group more and more." Keith shakes his head. "Only seen one other armed to the teeth like that."

As he walks and follows Calvin to the barber shop, Keith tilts his head. My hair's not that long though? He walks in behind Calvin and observes the interaction, half-waving at who he guessed was Uncle Vern. "Nice to meet ya sir. Calvin was just tellin' me about your place here. Really nice!" Keith says to the older man. He defers to Calvin for questioning on this since it is his neck of the woods.

He chuckles a bit. "Been a good while since I had a cut, just tryin' to see about where it stops."

Lounge

“I’m not sure how culinarily inclined you are,” Sidney says as she cuts a slice of cake for John. “You said she’s coming over for tea, right? I can make a tray of Jammie Dodgers or Jaffa Cakes if you didn’t buy any.”
    Keith chuckles between bites at the interactions between Ryker and Sidney. "I don't think he'll be able to forget."

He also nods at Drake's comment. "True, just the ones for ventin' a lota frustration. I gotta get better about hand to hand combat since I mostly stay at range anyway." He shrugs and laughs at Stella's comment.

When John returns, Keith also has to ask after everyone else makes suggestions and offers. "What time is tea time anyway? So I know not to interrupt."

9. - Top - End - #279

OldWizardGuy

Lounge

John smiled gratefully as he took the offered slice of cake. “Thank you, both. I’d would welcome any help I can get. I’m not blind to the fact that I’ve been overreacting a bit and I suspect that’s only going to get worse as 3:30 tomorrow afternoon approaches.

John toyed with a forkful of the cake. “I had hoped to find some Jammie Dodgers or Jaffa Cakes here in town. I ordered some baked goods from Harrods but, in truth, I’m not sure what will arrive and what condition they will be in when the courier drops them off for me at the Ritz downtown — which seemed like a good cover location for such an absurd order.

“I’d be grateful for whatever help the two of you would be willing to offer. I have a recipe for the scones and I’m going to bake some bread for the sandwiches tomorrow morning to make sure I have some ready to go and then I’m planning on making a second batch of scones for about 3 PM while I’m making the sandwiches so they can still be warm.”

John took a bite of the cake and smiled. “Delicious, Sidney. I can’t wait to see what you do with Jaffa Cakes.”

He looked around the room, half embarrassed. “You know, AEGIS training and planning pushes you to build in contingency plans and fall back positions. When you’re thinking through a mission, it all sounds very professional. When you find yourself doing it to plan a second date, it sounds disturbingly obsessive.”

10. - Top - End - #280

NinjaGuy

Scott’s nods, still staring at the wall. “Good. Yeah, that’s fine if she’s asking for her tool box. I’ll let you up into her apartment through the shop.”
    "You don't have to worry about that. I'll be able to find my own way in." Louis says self-assuredly.

He takes a deep breath. “Is Ryker with her?”
    "He is, and he's rarely left her side since we found her. I don't think I'd have been able to track her down without his help if I'm being honest.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lounge
    Aeryn smiles at John. “Just tell me what else you need made tomorrow, or if I could work on some stuff tonight so I’m not rushing tomorrow.”

“I got you, John” Sidney says. “I haven’t made Jaffa Cakes in a while, but I still remember the recipe.”

The lounge goes quiet as Calvin comes in. All of South Side watches him closely.

“It’s my birthday,” Drake says in a low voice. All the metal silverware, fastenings for the furniture, and anything metal in people’s pockets starts to vibrate.

Market
    “I sent all of them home after all the commotion earlier,” Vern says as he waves Calvin to his chair. “It’s nice to meet ya, Keith! Gimme twenty with Cal here and I’ll get’cha trimmed up if you want.”

Louis
    Scott nods. “That’s— that’s good. As much as I disapprove of what he is, I can’t deny that he loves her. He’s always been good to her.”

He takes a breath, wiping his eyes with a thumb before he turns back around to face Louis. “When do you think… When can she come home? I understand that it might be awhile, but I just…” he trails off. “Would you tell her that I love her? And tell Ryker— tell him he can come back too.”

12. - Top - End - #282

GreataxeFighterGuy

Lounge
    Aeryn smiles at John. “Just tell me what else you need made tomorrow, or if I could work on some stuff tonight so I’m not rushing tomorrow.”

“I got you, John” Sidney says. “I haven’t made Jaffa Cakes in a while, but I still remember the recipe.”

The lounge goes quiet as Calvin comes in. All of South Side watches him closely.

“It’s my birthday,” Drake says in a low voice. All the metal silverware, fastenings for the furniture, and anything metal in people’s pockets starts to vibrate.
    "Happy birthday, dude." Calvin says, reaching for a knife to cut cake and seeing all the silverware shaking. "You alright? What happened to your arms you let Ryker give you your birthday licks?"
    Spoiler: Notice
    Show

LoungeMarket
    “I sent all of them home after all the commotion earlier,” Vern says as he waves Calvin to his chair. “It’s nice to meet ya, Keith! Gimme twenty with Cal here and I’ll get’cha trimmed up if you want.”
    Thanks Unc. He's looking alittle unruly over there haha. Let's try something cool. Give me a Hi-top. I gotta impress for Homecoming, you know. Calvin says with a big smile. "Yeah I saw all the cops. Did you see anything? I heard a lady in Like a suit of armor was here. apparently she assaulted a work colleague of mine." He says, demeanor becoming more serious. "You see them leave the Market?"
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-05-03 at 02:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283

NinjaGuy

Scott nods. “That’s— that’s good. As much as I disapprove of what he is, I can’t deny that he loves her. He’s always been good to her.”

He takes a breath, wiping his eyes with a thumb before he turns back around to face Louis. “When do you think… When can she come home? I understand that it might be awhile, but I just…” he trails off. “Would you tell her that I love her? And tell Ryker— tell him he can come back too.”
    "I know he can be a bit rough around the edges but I think his heart's in the right place, especially when it comes to Sidney. Ryker's got the makings of a real hero, he's just gotta prove to everyone else."

Louis runs his hand through his hair, attempting to come up with an answer that would please Scott but he finds himself at a loss. "I... couldn't really tell you when that would be unfortunately. There's a lot of factors to consider. I can't promise you that things will go back to the way they were before all of this but I can promise to bring the three of you together again. This time under better circumstances." He says with a reassuring grin.

"Sure, I can deliver message for ya. I'll even waive the delivery fee." He walks up to Scott and places a hand on his shoulder. "Promise you'll take care of yourself in the meantime, yeah? I'm sure it'd mean the world to Sidney to know you're okay."
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-05-03 at 02:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

AssassinGuy

Market
    Thanks Unc. He's looking alittle unruly over there haha. Let's try something cool. Give me a Hi-top. I gotta impress for Homecoming, you know. Calvin says with a big smile. "Yeah I saw all the cops. Did you see anything? I heard a lady in Like a suit of armor was here. apparently she assaulted a work colleague of mine." He says, demeanor becoming more serious. "You see them leave the Market?"
    Keith nods at Vernon. "No rush sir! Might be a bit overdue for a short trim. Dead and split ends and all. Appreciate it!" He takes a seat as Calvin gets his hair cut and nods along with his explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    John smiled gratefully as he took the offered slice of cake. “Thank you, both. I’d would welcome any help I can get. I’m not blind to the fact that I’ve been overreacting a bit and I suspect that’s only going to get worse as 3:30 tomorrow afternoon approaches.

John toyed with a forkful of the cake. “I had hoped to find some Jammie Dodgers or Jaffa Cakes here in town. I ordered some baked goods from Harrods but, in truth, I’m not sure what will arrive and what condition they will be in when the courier drops them off for me at the Ritz downtown — which seemed like a good cover location for such an absurd order.

“I’d be grateful for whatever help the two of you would be willing to offer. I have a recipe for the scones and I’m going to bake some bread for the sandwiches tomorrow morning to make sure I have some ready to go and then I’m planning on making a second batch of scones for about 3 PM while I’m making the sandwiches so they can still be warm.”

John took a bite of the cake and smiled. “Delicious, Sidney. I can’t wait to see what you do with Jaffa Cakes.”

He looked around the room, half embarrassed. “You know, AEGIS training and planning pushes you to build in contingency plans and fall back positions. When you’re thinking through a mission, it all sounds very professional. When you find yourself doing it to plan a second date, it sounds disturbingly obsessive.”
    Lounge

"Happy birthday, dude." Calvin says, reaching for a knife to cut cake and seeing all the silverware shaking. "You alright? What happened to your arms you let Ryker give you your birthday licks?"
    Show
    Keith takes another bite of the cake. "For real though, thank you, Sidney!" He also turns to John and smiles at him. "Promise you, the effort is what's going to count. Better to have the extra plans and not need them, than to need and not have." He chuckles a bit. "Oh, and try talkin' in some Angelic, that really got her curiosity goin'."

He takes another bite. "And so how does the roof look? Hate I didn't help out with it."

When his fork starts to vibrate, along with anything else metal on him, Keith slides the piece of cake off it back onto the plate to wait it out. Oh ****, here we go again. Keith sighs, as he feels every bit of metal vibrating. "Did not think the chain on this necklace would do a good massage."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-05-03 at 03:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lounge
    All the silverware remaining on the the table skates away from Calvin’s reaching hand, turning themselves into pieces of modern art as they float up into the air.

“Don’t,” Drake says flatly.

Yuki reaches over and puts her hand over the top of Drake’s. At her touch, the ruined silverware drops to the ground and the furniture stops shivering.

Drake briefly squeezes his eyes shut, rubbing his forehead with his other hand before he takes a deep breath and looks down at his lap.

“Wow,” Sidney says as she leans forward in her seat. “What an ass. How two-faced can you be? I literally just watched you argue with Drake a few hours ago and say a bunch of stuff to him, and now you’re gonna waltz in here and act like it didn’t happen? And then try to take a piece of his cake?”

Market
    “You got it. Boss,” Vern says as he puts the cape on Calvin. “I heard the gunshots,” he says quietly. “Then people started runnin’. A few of ‘em came in here and I let ‘em out the back. But I didn’t see much, though. Just the cops when they came rollin’ up. The view out the window is only the entrance of the Market, and I certainly wasn’t goin’ out to look.”

Louis
    “Yeah, yeah I will,” Scott says. “Those girls keep me on my toes, so don’t worry about me too much.”

“I don’t know how you did it, but thank you, Louis. I’d almost given up hope of ever seeing her again.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-05-03 at 04:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

OldWizardGuy

Lounge
    All the silverware remaining on the the table skates away from Calvin’s reaching hand, turning themselves into pieces of modern art as they float up into the air.

Yuki reaches over and puts her hand over the top of Drake’s. At her touch, the ruined silverware drops to the ground and the furniture stops shivering.

Drake briefly squeezes his eyes shut, rubbing his forehead with his other hand before he takes a deep breath and looks down at his lap.

“Wow,” Sidney says as she leans forward in her seat. “What an ass. How two-faced can you be? I literally just watched you argue with Drake a few hours ago and say a bunch of stuff to him, and now you’re gonna waltz in here and act like it didn’t happen? And then try to take a piece of his cake?”

The invitation for Calvin and Keith to see what they had done with the roof — a ploy to get Calvin out of the room before things got worse, died unspoken on John’s lips.

He wasn’t sure if not getting the opportunity to do so was a good thing or a bad thing. These encounters had been increasing in regularity and this encounter might clear the air — or make it worse.

There was no question that the ball was in Calvin’s court. He could either accept the rebuke and apologize, acknowledging he had set this scene earlier today, or escalate.

The undercurrents were as treacherous as the surface. The rejection by his father had hurt him deeply and the estrangement from his family caused ongoing suffering. That me might lash out because of that was more than understandable. It was equally true that he had no where to go, if he alienated this team. He had been cast from his home.

The others might be sympathetic, if they knew that, but he could no more reveal that to them than he could tell Calvin that Raphael was a vampire. It was not his story to tell.

“Come on, Calvin,” John heard himself saying quietly, hoping he might provide a third option. “Keith was just mentioning that the two of you were out when we put together the new roof setup. Let me give you the twenty-cent tour.”

17. - Top - End - #287

GreataxeFighterGuy

Lounge

Yuki reaches over and puts her hand over the top of Drake’s. At her touch, the silverware drops to the ground and the furniture stops shivering.

Drakes briefly squeezes his eyes shut, rubbing his forehead with his other hand before he takes a deep breath and looks down at his lap.

"That was hours ago. you guys should really learn to let stuff go." Calvin says, "I was minding my business and talking to Keith then Stella butt in. Started talking her, Drake butts in, I ignore Drake. Drake starts again. I hurt is widdle feelings and go do my job after you ask me to stop. Now, how exactly am I the ass when all provocation started with Drake, hmm?" Calvin asks.
    Market
    “You got it. Boss,” Vern says as he puts the cape on Calvin. “I heard the gunshots,” he says quietly. “Then people started runnin’. A few of ‘em came in here and I let ‘em out the back. But I didn’t see much, though. Just the cops when they came rollin’ up. The view out the window is only the entrance of the Market, and I certainly wasn’t goin’ out to look.”
    That's Fair. Can you point me in the direction of any of the folks that came through? Some one that you recognized.

The invitation for Calvin and Keith to see what they had done with the roof — a ploy to get Calvin out of the room before things got worse, died unspoken on John’s lips.

He wasn’t sure if not getting the opportunity to do so was a good thing or a bad thing. These encounters had been increasing in regularity and this encounter might clear the air — or make it worse.

There was no question that the ball was in Calvin’s court. He could either accept the rebuke and apologize, acknowledging he had set this scene earlier today, or escalate.

The undercurrents were as treacherous as the surface. The rejection by his father had hurt him deeply and the estrangement from his family caused ongoing suffering. That me might lash out because of that was more than understandable. It was equally true that he had no where to go, if he alienated this team. He had been cast from his home.

The others might be sympathetic, if they knew that, but he could no more reveal that to them than he could tell Calvin that Raphael was a vampire. It was not his story to tell.

“Come on, Calvin,” John heard himself saying quietly, hoping he might provide a third option. “Keith was just mentioning that the two of you were out when we put together the new roof setup. Let me give you the twenty-cent tour.”
    "I'm good." Calvin says, Walking past John back down the hall to his room. "I'm sure she'll love it."

18. - Top - End - #288

AssassinGuy

Market
    [QUOTE=HIDA;25448475]
    That's Fair. Can you point me in the direction of any of the folks that came through? Some one that you recognized.

Market
    Keith nods. "We'd appreciate any advice." He had just met Vernon and already knew the old man was pretty on the level. Don't meet many people like that anymore. It was also kinda odd seeing the quick changes in mood in Calvin. Just earlier he was fuming and now he was just a regular dude. Wonder if the armor has some kinda effect on his mood. I mean, some of my powers are controlled through emotion so that could be possible.

He found himself lost in thought a bit while Calvin got his hair cut.

Lounge

"That was hours ago. you guys should really learn to let stuff go." Calvin says, "I was minding my business and talking to Keith then Stella butt in. Started talking her, Drake butts in, I ignore Drake. Drake starts again. I hurt is widdle feelings and go do my job after you ask me to stop. Now, how exactly am I the ass when all provocation started with Drake, hmm?" Calvin asks.
    "I'm good." Calvin says, Walking past John back down the hall to his room. "I'm sure she'll love it."
    Keith didn't know what else to say, this was much like the contrast he saw earlier in the day and it was drastic. Though now the armor seems to be out of the question as Calvin was getting heated again. When he heard John quietly invite Calvin to the roof, he was a bit disappointed, having been curious but knew it was only to try and ease the situation.

Oh thank the Void. He found himself thinking. He could go to the roof anytime, granted not tomorrow, and then again only if they made it through the night.

At Calvin's next outburst though, Keith grimaced. He was bringing Stella back into his fight with Drake, when he started getting things out of hand, to begin with. "She was just offering her opinion and trying to get us all to calm down. What else is eatin' you right now man? I know you're worried about this emboldenin' others but seems like somethin' else is drivin' ya. Help us understand."

After Calvin heads out, Keith pinches the bridge of his nose. "Void help me......." He muttered. His own headache which was probably just psychosomatic was easing off. Probably just a combination of White laughing and his own internal screaming at the events.

Keith turns to John. "I'd still love to see it if that's ok."

19. - Top - End - #289

OldWizardGuy

At Calvin's next outburst though, Keith grimaced. He was bringing Stella back into his fight with Drake, when he started getting things out of hand, to begin with. "She was just offering her opinion and trying to get us all to calm down. What else is eatin' you right now man? I know you're worried about this emboldenin' others but seems like somethin' else is drivin' ya. Help us understand."

After Calvin heads out, Keith pinches the bridge of his nose. "Void help me......." He muttered. His own headache which was probably just psychosomatic was easing off. Probably just a combination of White laughing and his own internal screaming at the events.

Keith turns to John. "I'd still love to see it if that's ok."
    “Of course, Keith,” listening to make sure Calvin was out of earshot. “After that vote of confidence, I feel a lot better about things tomorrow.”

He turned and picked up his plate. “I’m not about to leave this behind, though. Come on. We’ve got a few minutes before the meeting. I’ll show you around.”

John led the way up the stairs and out onto the roof. “With seating for eight to ten, Emi will have plenty of options for how close she wants to sit, whether it’s under the shade and near the cypress or if she would prefer the Japanese Cherry. Assuming she doesn’t head back before the spring, Yuki will be able to enjoy the blossoms as much as she does the fire pit.

“The remote for the fire pit is in the end table over there next to the glider and the charcoal grill is just around the corner here. We’ll need to season the grates, I would guess — even if they come pre-seasoned.

“I should have thought to get the smoker while I had the truck,” John observed. “Well, it will fit in the boot — trunk. Anyway, garbage and recycling is further around the corner.

“There’s a one-eye propane cooker just past the cherry. I figured I would need something to heat the water. Oh, and the end table next to it conceals a mini-fridge.

He looked at Keith. “Don’t ask me what any of the plants that provide a partial screen on this side of the area are. The master gardener there told me they would all thrive here.”

John ate another piece of the cake. “They say that madness can come with magic. If you ever need evidence, you can refer to my having done this — even if Emi is a remarkable woman.”

20. - Top - End - #290

NinjaGuy

“Yeah, yeah I will,” Scott says. “Those girls keep me on my toes, so don’t worry about me too much.”

“I don't know how you did it, but thank you, Louis. I'd almost given up hope of ever seeing her again.”
    "No thanks necessary, I'm just doin' my job." Louis says with a warm smile. He backpedals for a step or two then blinks up onto the fire escape.

The hero offers Scott an informal salute before he turns his attention to the window. Louis searches for a safe spot to teleport to inside of the apartment if the space inside is visible from the window. After a few moments of deliberation he teleports into the living room.

His eyes survey his surroundings before beginning his search for the toolbox. Louis takes note of any significant changes since his last visit or any potential threats that might be lurking around Sidney's apartment as he searches for the entrance to the workshop.

Show
    I LOOK WITH MY SPECIAL EYES: 22 + 2 (Perception) = 24
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-05-03 at 10:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

AssassinGuy

“Of course, Keith,” listening to make sure Calvin was out of earshot. “After that vote of confidence, I feel a lot better about things tomorrow.”

He turned and picked up his plate. “I’m not about to leave this behind, though. Come on. We’ve got a few minutes before the meeting. I’ll show you around.”

John led the way up the stairs and out onto the roof. “With seating for eight to ten, Emi will have plenty of options for how close she wants to sit, whether it’s under the shade and near the cypress or if she would prefer the Japanese Cherry. Assuming she doesn’t head back before the spring, Yuki will be able to enjoy the blossoms as much as she does the fire pit.

“The remote for the fire pit is in the end table over there next to the glider and the charcoal grill is just around the corner here. We’ll need to season the grates, I would guess — even if they come pre-seasoned.

“I should have thought to get the smoker while I had the truck,” John observed. “Well, it will fit in the boot — trunk. Anyway, garbage and recycling is further around the corner.

“There’s a one-eye propane cooker just past the cherry. I figured I would need something to heat the water. Oh, and the end table next to it conceals a mini-fridge.

He looked at Keith. “Don’t ask me what any of the plants that provide a partial screen on this side of the area are. The master gardener there told me they would all thrive here.”

John ate another piece of the cake. “They say that madness can come with magic. If you ever need evidence, you can refer to my having done this — even if Emi is a remarkable woman.”
    Lounge and Roof 4-ish PM

Keith rested his fork on his plate and steadied it with his thumb as they walked up to the roof. He also took out his phone to see if there were any new messages while he was out and about. Would it even be ok for him to update them on what they knew?

He looked around at the roof and followed John's explanations. Keith's eyes went wide seeing how much they had accomplished while he had been following Calvin that afternoon. "Plenty of seating room and lots of glorious plant life. John, you have outdone it." He smiles at the Japanese Cherry. "I think she will enjoy it, and it's not like they won't be able to visit as well."

His eyes landed on the fire pit and then the grill. "I hadn't expected the grill! I'll need to get Uncle's marinade and burger recipe from him. Have some celebratory meals later on. Probably best to season them too, never hurts."

"It looks amazing up here John! I think I heard you say to the tune of Sorcerer's Apprentice? Seems this went way better than Mickey's adventure with it. Then again, from what I've witnessed, you are a master of those arts." He was awestruck by the amount of work that went into it, and just how much the roof had changed from when he was up there the night before, and even coming in earlier.

He nods at John's final comments. "True, it does come with madness, but there is a method to it. And yes, she is remarkable. Honestly, if you don't get a third date after this, I'll be shocked." Keith offers a smile to the magician. "This had to have hurt the wallet though, I'll help pay out some. 'Specially since I mentioned a few things."

An idea also hits him. "Oh right. I don't think we got the chance yesterday, but if you want to go through that journal, you are welcome to. Oh, also should let you know, Emi know as well."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-05-03 at 07:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Market
    “I’m sorry, Cal,” Vern says as he gives Calvin his haircut. “They were just people from the street fair. I didn’t recognize any of them. I just let them come through the shop so that they could get away faster.”

23. - Top - End - #293

GreataxeFighterGuy

Market
    “I’m sorry, Cal,” Vern says as he gives Calvin his haircut. “They were just people from the street fair. I didn’t recognize any of them. I just let them come through the shop so that they could get away faster.”
    "Don't sweat it, Unc. Thanks for letting me know." Calvin says a little Disappointed. "You gonna be at Homecoming next week? We're playing State."

24. - Top - End - #294

OldWizardGuy

Lounge and Roof 4-ish PM

Keith rested his fork on his plate and steadied it with his thumb as they walked up to the roof. He also took out his phone to see if there were any new messages while he was out and about. Would it even be ok for him to update them on what they knew?

He looked around at the roof and followed John's explanations. Keith's eyes went wide seeing how much they had accomplished while he had been following Calvin that afternoon. "Plenty of seating room and lots of glorious plant life. John, you have outdone it." He smiles at the Japanese Cherry. "I think she will enjoy it, and it's not like they won't be able to visit as well."

His eyes landed on the fire pit and then the grill. "I hadn't expected the grill! I'll need to get Uncle's marinade and burger recipe from him. Have some celebratory meals later on. Probably best to season them too, never hurts."

"It looks amazing up here John! I think I heard you say to the tune of Sorcerer's Apprentice? Seems this went way better than Mickey's adventure with it. Then again, from what I've witnessed, you are a master of those arts." He was awestruck by the amount of work that went into it, and just how much the roof had changed from when he was up there the night before, and even coming in earlier.

He nods at John's final comments. "True, it does come with madness, but there is a method to it. And yes, she is remarkable. Honestly, if you don't get a third date after this, I'll be shocked." Keith offers a smile to the magician. "This had to have hurt the wallet though, I'll help pay out some. 'Specially since I mentioned a few things."

An idea also hits him. "Oh right. I don't think we got the chance yesterday, but if you want to go through that journal, you are welcome to. Oh, also should let you know, Emi know as well."
    “Don’t worry about the expenses, Keith. My position comes with, shall we say, some outside funding — enough that I am ‘of independent means’ now. The funding source is well managed and should provide whatever I need for as long as I live. And while I did set it up with Emi in mind, there were several items purchased with the team in mind.

“Having transferred here myself, I thought Yuki might like a little memory of home to go along with her adventure.

“I shouldn’t have played “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” That was just asking for trouble. But after my post-date encounter with a representative of the nemeses that are watching me, I felt a little reckless and wanted to send out a message to them, if they were listening in, that I was not afraid.

“And as for a third date?” John let out a deep sigh. “We’ll see if I earn it. Right now, I have the international man of mystery thing going for me. That can survive a date or two. Once you begin to fill in the details of a life, it’s a lot harder to maintain that. At that point, I’m left with my winning personality and whether she likes it or not.

“None of this matters, ultimately,” John observed as he pushed some of his cake around the plate, “if I screw up the date by spilling tea all over her or she finds me incompatible or if she doesn’t feel the ‘chemistry’ between us — whatever that is.”

He offered a wry smile. “At least I can magic away tea stains, if I have to.”

John turned to face Keith. “I should probably look over your journal at some point — perhaps sooner rather than later, given our surprise earlier today. Raphael had mentioned in passing that the Darkwatch was out there looking for him but we never followed up on that conversation. I doubt it would have made a difference today, but you never know with these things.

John surveyed the city. “It’s going to take a while to get connected to the Occult underground here. Stella might know some people but she didn’t think they would be of help in this particular case.”

John took another bite. “We should probably head back down. Even if there wasn’t a meeting about to start, we don’t want to run the risk of everyone else finishing the cake without us.”

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Market
    “Sorry I can’t be more help,” Vern says as he finishes up Calvin’s trim. “But yeah, I’ll try to be there. Saturdays are a pretty busy day for me, ya know?”

26. - Top - End - #296

GreataxeFighterGuy

Market
    “Sorry I can’t be more help,” Vern says as he finishes up Calvin’s trim. “But yeah, I’ll try to be there. Saturdays are a pretty busy day for me, ya know?”
    "Darius and Shakes can run the place. You and Miss Harriet have earned a weekend off. You know what pops always say' Take time while its yours to take.'" Calvin says getting up out of the chair and checking the lines in the mirror. "Clean as ever. You're the best, Unc. How much I owe you?"

27. - Top - End - #297

AssassinGuy

“Don’t worry about the expenses, Keith. My position comes with, shall we say, some outside funding — enough that I am ‘of independent means’ now. The funding source is well managed and should provide whatever I need for as long as I live. And while I did set it up with Emi in mind, there were several items purchased with the team in mind.

“Having transferred here myself, I thought Yuki might like a little memory of home to go along with her adventure.

“I shouldn’t have played “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” That was just asking for trouble. But after my post-date encounter with a representative of the nemeses that are watching me, I felt a little reckless and wanted to send out a message to them, if they were listening in, that I was not afraid.

“And as for a third date?” John let out a deep sigh. “We’ll see if I earn it. Right now, I have the international man of mystery thing going for me. That can survive a date or two. Once you begin to fill in the details of a life, it’s a lot harder to maintain that. At that point, I’m left with my winning personality and whether she likes it or not.

“None of this matters, ultimately,” John observed as he pushed some of his cake around the plate, “if I screw up the date by spilling tea all over her or she finds me incompatible or if she doesn’t feel the ‘chemistry’ between us — whatever that is.”

He offered a wry smile. “At least I can magic away tea stains, if I have to.”

John turned to face Keith. “I should probably look over your journal at some point — perhaps sooner rather than later, given our surprise earlier today. Raphael had mentioned in passing that the Darkwatch was out there looking for him but we never followed up on that conversation. I doubt it would have made a difference today, but you never know with these things.

John surveyed the city. “It’s going to take a while to get connected to the Occult underground here. Stella might know some people but she didn’t think they would be of help in this particular case.”

John took another bite. “We should probably head back down. Even if there wasn’t a meeting about to start, we don’t want to run the risk of everyone else finishing the cake without us.”
    Room Top in the 4ish PM
    Keith listens intently and nods. "Funny you mention that. Bein' a technical prince in exile and bein' hunted by the kingdom doesn't have the usual perks." He chuckles a bit. "Though, may have something set up soon where I can raid their coffers, or at least get access to what was raided."

He smiles a bit moving the cake around on the plate as well. "A taste of home is always nice. I'm certain she appreciates it too. When all this is over, I'd like to go and visit Albany again. Haven't been since the day mom passed." He really did miss it, but the state wasn't too far. He just didn't feel right going back until he could tell his mom's spirit that her murderer was behind bars.

Keith chuckles taking another bite. "Sometimes you have to be a bit reckless and show them you're not afraid. And they should know that you aren't alone either."

He does shrug. "She does like you. Could tell from the talk we had when she asked what language you were speakin'. Honestly wouldn't mind learnin' it if I could. And magicing away tea stains would be impressive." He smirks.

He turned to face John as well. "Maybe not, but it's still more than we would have known today. I owe him big time. Either way, the next time they do show up, we'll all be prepared." Keith smirks. "Told Calvin earlier that they made one key mistake, and that's not factoring in us. They'll have a lot more of a fight going on next time."

He listened again as John talked about Stella and the underground. Even being here for as long as he was, there was a lot to still be explored. "Probably not a lot of time to act either. They may have needed a lot more prep than we do. Still, wouldn't mind meeting them as well."

Keith nods and moves some of the remaining cake on his plate. "Good point. And not entirely lookin' forward to part of this meetin'." Keith turns to John. "Don't be too surprised if you get asked to lead one of the teams tonight."

Market
    "Don't sweat it, Unc. Thanks for letting me know." Calvin says a little Disappointed. "You gonna be at Homecoming next week? We're playing State."
    Market
    "Darius and Shakes can run the place. You and Miss Harriet have earned a weekend off. You know what pops always say' Take time while its yours to take.'" Calvin says getting up out of the chair and checking the lines in the mirror. "Clean as ever. You're the best, Unc. How much I owe you?"
    Keith sits back and listens as the two converse. He felt a bit out of place in the shop but the atmosphere was nice and relaxing. "He also nods when Calvin says they earned a weekend off. "Have to agree with Calvin sir, a short break is always a good idea." Keith tilts his head to the side. "Honestly never been to a Homecoming game. And I know Will was curious about seeing a game too. Might be able to make a plan."

28. - Top - End - #298

OldWizardGuy

Room Top in the 4ish PM
    Keith nods and moves some of the remaining cake on his plate. "Good point. And not entirely lookin' forward to part of this meetin'." Keith turns to John. "Don't be too surprised if you get asked to lead one of the teams tonight."
    “Teams?” John asked with some concern as he opened the door for Keith. “I thought we were just going to head out and pick up a couple of pushers. Why would we need multiple teams for that?”

29. - Top - End - #299

AssassinGuy

“Teams?” John asked with some concern as he opened the door for Keith. “I thought we were just going to head out and pick up a couple of pushers. Why would we need multiple teams for that?”
    Keith notices the concern and nods with a sigh. "We're going to be in the same building as some of the top pushers. One onside team, and one out. Most of the teams have been decided since outside needs to stay small for, remaining inconspicuous. A lot will have to be figured out on the fly too. Seraph called for all hands on deck, which is why we have the meeting. Should be plenty of time after for naps if needed and general prep though."

Keith's tone turns serious. "The main target tonight is dangerous, to the point we don't even know what he can do. And if the other pushers is there too, we have a major fight ahead of us."

30. - Top - End - #300

OldWizardGuy

Keith notices the concern and nods with a sigh. "We're going to be in the same building as some of the top pushers. One onside team, and one out. Most of the teams have been decided since outside needs to stay small for, remaining inconspicuous. A lot will have to be figured out on the fly too. Seraph called for all hands on deck, which is why we have the meeting. Should be plenty of time after for naps if needed and general prep though."

Keith's tone turns serious. "The main target tonight is dangerous, to the point we don't even know what he can do. And if the other pushers is there too, we have a major fight ahead of us."
    John took a long look at the rooftop patio and sighed. “Another long night, I guess.”

He followed Keith downstairs.