Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC II

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Keith and John
    Emi lets out a short laugh. “You don’t have to learn to drive a manual, Keith. It’s not for everyone. And these days there are less and less cars that come with them.”

She returns John’s smile. “It’s only a few hours, John. I’ll see you later.”

“As long as you don’t snog with me in public, I’m fine,” she replies to John with a quiet chuckle.
    Keith chuckles and smiles. "True, but it is something I wanted to learn. Just preferably not getting chased by an evil organization in the process."

He nods at John's suggestion of a loaner car. "Good call. And fair point." He does listen to the exchange between John and Clea and raises an eyebrow.

"So that's what you meant. And don't worry, I have the directions pulled up right here." He shows John his phones GPS app with the address typed in.

"Won't have him out too late, I promise!" He says with a wide grin as he takes a set in Clea and buckles up.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John and Keith
    "Ooohh... very racy," Emi says as she smiles at John through the window. "You're pretty wonderful yourself, John. I'll see you later."

"Thank you, Clea," Emi replies. "I'm counting on you."

The drive over to South Side is uneventful. Clea drives past the rubble of a warehouse-sized building surrounded by a tall chainlink fence with barbed wire on top. The red brick walls look like they were pulled inward toward the center of the building. John finds public parking just down the street from the address.

"Dee, Crowe, Mercury says over comms, "Zodiac and I are inbound. We're going to land on the North side. I can shift the fence to let you guys in."
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-08-10 at 09:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1293

OldWizardGuy

John and Keith
    "Ooohh... very racy," Emi says as she smiles at John through the window. "You're pretty wonderful yourself, John. I'll see you later."

"Thank you, Clea," Emi replies. "I'm counting on you."

The drive over to South Side is uneventful. Clea drives past the rubble of a warehouse-sized building surrounded by a tall chainlink fence with barbed wire on top. The red brick walls look like they were pulled inward toward the center of the building. John finds public parking just down the street from the address.

"Dee, Crowe, Mercury says over comms, "Zodiac and I are inbound. We're going to land on the North side. I can shift the fence to let you guys in."
    Passing through a discrete alleyway, Clea switch from the grey that matched Emi’s Porsche to the daytime color profile to that of Dee’s vehicle and drop the plates with an image of the Hieroglyphic Monad. Simultaneously, John summoned his uniform, tucking his iPad Mini back into its pocket and dropping the police file into the secured compartment in the arm rest.

“I’m glad to hear your encounter went well,” he offered Keith as he drew up his hood.

Having parked, John walked back to the condemned building, examining it more closely from the outside. “Not exactly a traditional haunted house,” Dee observed as he regarded the space. Floating upward, he began to study the space, looking for any anomalies. “Crowe and I are in position, Mercury,” he said as he studied the location. “It’s a less than inviting plane and I am hoping we discover the greatest risk present is structural instability.”

Spoiler: Checking out the building
    Show
    Notice Roll for the Haunted House: 1d10o10+4 8 1d6o6+4 8

4. - Top - End - #1294

AssassinGuy

John and Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    Passing through a discrete alleyway, Clea switch from the grey that matched Emi’s Porsche to the daytime color profile to that of Dee’s vehicle and drop the plates with an image of the Hieroglyphic Monad. Simultaneously, John summoned his uniform, tucking his iPad Mini back into its pocket and dropping the police file into the secured compartment in the arm rest.

“I’m glad to hear your encounter went well,” he offered Keith as he drew up his hood.

Having parked, John walked back to the condemned building, examining it more closely from the outside. “Not exactly a traditional haunted house,” Dee observed as he regarded the space. Floating upward, he began to study the space, looking for any anomalies. “Crowe and I are in position, Mercury,” he said as he studied the location. “It’s a less than inviting plane and I am hoping we discover the greatest risk present is structural instability.”

Spoiler: Checking out the building
    Show
    Notice Roll for the Haunted House: 1d10o10+4 8 1d6o6+4 8
    Keith willed his costume back on while going down the road seeing John get his ready and nodded at his statement about the encounter with Kylie. "Thank you, and will probably be askin' some advice, though later when you're not entirely time constrained." He chuckled a bit and drew up his hood. "Glad to see that the encounter with Grayson went well. And he's on board with a KMBU tournament. Possibly online so he doesn't end up too close to Ryker for the time being."

Keith suppressed the urge to whistle seeing the condemned building and nodded in agreement. "I expected more..... well I don't wanna say organ music but hey, day's not over with yet." He decided to listen and wait while Dee responded to Mercury and keep his eyes glued to the building trying to see if anything maybe stood out. He didn't expect much until getting a closer look.

Spoiler: Would probably make a decent Haunted House?
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 12 1d6o6+2 3

5. - Top - End - #1295

OldWizardGuy

The Car Ride to the Haunted Warehouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith willed his costume back on while going down the road seeing John get his ready and nodded at his statement about the encounter with Kylie. "Thank you, and will probably be askin' some advice, though later when you're not entirely time constrained." He chuckled a bit and drew up his hood. "Glad to see that the encounter with Grayson went well. And he's on board with a KMBU tournament. Possibly online so he doesn't end up too close to Ryker for the time being."
    “Advice?” John said, pointlessly cocking an eyebrow in the darkness under his hood. “You should probably seek that out from someone who knew how he managed to start dating the woman he is rather than someone wandering around perpetually surprised that it somehow happened. But we have a few minutes before we arrive if you want to ask.

“Before you do, I am glad that my meeting went as well as it did with Grayson — although his partial transformations and draconic breath while in human form were somewhat surprising. I wasn’t able to gauge if that was a question of him not being fully in control of his powers or a natural extension of his day-in, day-out existence — akin to the way I magically sense danger as a matter of course rather than needing to focus on it.

“Given the mini-tournament on Sunday, I’ll be fighting Ayern for the basement in an online tournament, but I’m in.

“But what advice were you looking for?”

6. - Top - End - #1296

AssassinGuy

The Car Ride to the Haunted Warehouse

“Advice?” John said, pointlessly cocking an eyebrow in the darkness under his hood. “You should probably seek that out from someone who knew how he managed to start dating the woman he is rather than someone wandering around perpetually surprised that it somehow happened. But we have a few minutes before we arrive if you want to ask.

“Before you do, I am glad that my meeting went as well as it did with Grayson — although his partial transformations and draconic breath while in human form were somewhat surprising. I wasn’t able to gauge if that was a question of him not being fully in control of his powers or a natural extension of his day-in, day-out existence — akin to the way I magically sense danger as a matter of course rather than needing to focus on it.

“Given the mini-tournament on Sunday, I’ll be fighting Ayern for the basement in an online tournament, but I’m in.

“But what advice were you looking for?”
    Under his hood, Keith just grins and shakes his head. "To be fair, I didn't think I would get this far, so you may be the perfect person to ask! Still, I do plan on covering part of it with Yuki since she helped out a lot before hand as well."

He tilted his head to the side and chuckled a bit. "It's kinda like how some of our powers bleed through with emotions. So like how Louis about blinded some of us the other day? It's a bit like that. Though the cold chill is almost normal. It's only really noticeable if he's in a state." Keith shrugs. "Really though, you'll know with him if you're in trouble. Mostly just hard on himself."

At the mini-tournament Keith raises an eyebrow. "I miss all the fun when I go out of base it seems. You should be ok, and we'll get in some practice rounds too so you can climb the ladder a bit more. I'm not as good as Grayson, or Ryker for that matter, but can still help ya improve."

"As to the advice, all ideas of potential dates sorta left my head when Kylie told me she would go on one date with me and potentially another if she felt something. I didn't want to tell Emi, though I think she already knew anyway, but Kylie suggested asking to borrow a car, and then also suggested a concert because she thought I'd be excited for it. I'd like to plan something else, since yes I am excited about both the date amd concert, but I want her to have a good time as well." Keith sighs and rubs the back of his neck.

"Wondering if maybe I'm thinkin' about it too much. Or maybe not enough. Ya know?"

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haunted House
    Both Dee and Crowe spot Mercury and Zodiac, currently in her wolf form, on the inside of the fence as they emerge from the shadow of a partially destroyed wall.

“I guess you don’t need me to let you in,” Mercury says. “I didn’t know you could fly, Dee.”

Once Dee and Crowe are inside the perimeter, Mercury asks, “Are we looking for anything specific? Zodiac said that this is on old base for the cult that summoned the two greater demons, but nobody’s been seen around here for years.”

“I’ve never noticed anything while I was on patrol, at least,” Zodiac adds. She sniffs the air a few times and then wines as a heavy raindrop hits her right on the snout. Her long ears flick back in irritation.

8. - Top - End - #1298

OldWizardGuy

"Wondering if maybe I'm thinkin' about it too much. Or maybe not enough. Ya know?"
    “Thinking too much is a way of life for me,” Dee conceded. “I don’ think I have much advice that would be of use in that regard. In terms of the date, I’d recommend an unpretentious but nice restaurant within walking distance of the music venue. It’s a good time of year for eating al fresco so a place with a patio or some tables on the street would be nice. Of course, her favorite kind of food would be better. I’d imagine you have had the opportunity to note her preferences sine you shared a base with her. Select that kind of food and one or two other options, in case she wants to try something new, then offer her the options sometime later today.

“This never worked for me, but I am told that trying to build off common interests and likes is the way to go if you want to move something past friendship. Spend time asking her about herself then resisting the urge to tell her about how you do that too in a way that might make it sound like a comparison. Give her space to be herself and then ask follow up questions.

John’s smile softened and he felt a shudder in the steering wheel as Clea’s facial analysis system indicated who he was thinking about. He shook his head, amused at himself.

“That obvious?”

“Always,” Clea said with a teasing lilt to her voice.

“Thanks, Clea. Emi and I spent a lot of the night asking one another questions about each other. We had the advantage of not being in a public space, though — which you won’t have. You could try something similar. Her favorite time of year and why it is her favorite probably won’t involve anything classified.

John glanced out the side of his eye at Keith and offered a mischievous smile. “If you feel you need an edge, there was an article in the New York Times a few years ago that listed out the questions you should ask if you want someone to fall in love with you. I’m not sure how well it would work in your situation, as it requires the cooperation of the other party. And I can tell you from personal experience that trying to casually work them into a conversation is painfully awkward. But it might give you some ideas.

“Given that she’s a Psych major, Emi probably knows about the studies associated with the questions. Still, I’d rather you didn’t bring it up in front of her. I’m not ready to relive that bit of embarrassment with the woman I’m dating.”

9. - Top - End - #1299

OldWizardGuy

Haunted House
    Both Dee and Crowe spot Mercury and Zodiac, currently in her wolf form, on the inside of the fence as they emerge from the shadow of a partially destroyed wall.

“I guess you don’t need me to let you in,” Mercury says. “I didn’t know you could fly, Dee.”

Once Dee and Crowe are inside the perimeter, Mercury asks, “Are we looking for anything specific? Zodiac said that this is on old base for the cult that summoned the two greater demons, but nobody’s been seen around here for years.”

“I’ve never noticed anything while I was on patrol, at least,” Zodiac adds. She sniffs the air a few times and then wines as a heavy raindrop hits her right on the snout. Her long ears flick back in irritation.
    “Levitation is a new addition,” Dee responded to Mercury over the comms. “I enchanted my cloak to allow me limited flight. It isn’t fancy or fast but it should keep me from falling to my death if the griffin demon comes back and decides to try and grab me then drop me from a great height.”

He surveyed the partially collapsed building as he floated down in front of Zodiac and Mercury. “I’d have almost been surprised if these ruins were still being used by the Cult,” John admitted. “Still, we had to make sure. The primary thing we are looking for are any clues as to where we can find past or current members so we can determine if the ones who have been summoning greater demons recently are a continuation of the ones responsible for this or if they are a new group building on an old name.

“Not that the Cult of the Red Dawn had a reputation worth building on but that may be a reflection of my own prejudices rather than what an impressionable teenager might think sounds cool. Have the two of you had a chance to look inside?” Dee asked as he conjured a rain barrier above Zodiac.

Spoiler: Offering the Lady an Umbrella
    Show
    Matter Control: Water 2
    Spell casting — Kind of Like an Umbrella: 1d12o12 11 1d6o6 1

10. - Top - End - #1300

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker
    Ryker shifts the truck into reverse, but pauses before he backs out of the parking space. “I’m gonna say a lotta **** to this dude to scare him, Louis. And I’m probably gonna break some fingers. I don’t know how much of a stomach you got for that, but we’re on the same page, right? I won’t hurt him too bad… probably.”
    Louis' smirk vanishes just as quickly as it appears. "Wait, you're actually gonna torture the guy?" He runs a hand through his hair as he wrestles with the idea. "And what if neither of them knows where they're keeping Izzy?"

He waits for Ryker's response before he continues. "If you can keep their injuries within reason then I think we'll be okay. Nothing more than what they would've got walking away from a fight with you, got it? I figure that should give you enough rope to work with." And enough plausible deniability for me.

There’s the remnants of a dining room table and three wooden chairs. “Perfect,” the former villain mutters. He wastes no time getting Jackie taped into one of them, and dragging it down the hallway to the end of the house into one of the bedrooms, before he comes back and helps Louis get the bald one situated.
    "So how many times have you done this exactly?" Louis asks, his curiosity momentarily getting the better of him. Though he's quick to correct his thinking. "Actually... don't answer that." He says as they finish taping up the bald Rook.

“You mind droppin’ your illusion on me?” he asks Louis before he goes back to the bedroom. “I wanna make sure he knows who he ****ed with before I get started.”
    He nods and releases the illusion on Ryker as he makes his way to the back room. And now we wait. He took out his phone to check the time and any messages he may have missed while he tries to piece together an explanation as to what he and Ryker were up to for the better part of the day.

11. - Top - End - #1301

AssassinGuy

“Thinking too much is a way of life for me,” Dee conceded. “I don’ think I have much advice that would be of use in that regard. In terms of the date, I’d recommend an unpretentious but nice restaurant within walking distance of the music venue. It’s a good time of year for eating al fresco so a place with a patio or some tables on the street would be nice. Of course, her favorite kind of food would be better. I’d imagine you have had the opportunity to note her preferences sine you shared a base with her. Select that kind of food and one or two other options, in case she wants to try something new, then offer her the options sometime later today.

“This never worked for me, but I am told that trying to build off common interests and likes is the way to go if you want to move something past friendship. Spend time asking her about herself then resisting the urge to tell her about how you do that too in a way that might make it sound like a comparison. Give her space to be herself and then ask follow up questions.
    Keith nods and chuckles a bit. "I promise I will never bring that up to Emi. Scout's Honor." Not that he was a scout by any means. "But that all does help a good bit. We do have a few things in common to talk about, and while not all the musical tastes are exactly the same, I have listened to some of what she enjoys."

He thinks for a moment pondering while Clea picks on John. "I suppose the first order of business should be the meal. Since that's how this all started. And an offer to help with looking through Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. Once we get back I'll look into the places nearby and pick a few." He smiles. "Thank you John. And may loo, at the article for a laugh."

"Now the only main concern is if the concert is the way to go, or pick something else. I'm gonna ask the council about it." He smirks realizing that John may have been the best person to ask among the guys. Well, him and Drake.

Haunted House

“Levitation is a new addition,” Dee responded to Mercury over the comms. “I enchanted my cloak to allow me limited flight. It isn’t fancy or fast but it should keep me from falling to my death if the griffin demon comes back and decides to try and grab me then drop me from a great height.”

He surveyed the partially collapsed building as he floated down in front of Zodiac and Mercury. “I’d have almost been surprised if these ruins were still being used by the Cult,” John admitted. “Still, we had to make sure. The primary thing we are looking for are any clues as to where we can find past or current members so we can determine if the ones who have been summoning greater demons recently are a continuation of the ones responsible for this or if they are a new group building on an old name.

“Not that the Cult of the Red Dawn had a reputation worth building on but that may be a reflection of my own prejudices rather than what an impressionable teenager might think sounds cool. Have the two of you had a chance to look inside?” Dee asked as he conjured a rain barrier above Zodiac.
    Crowe shrugs. "Didn't realize he could either. Would be glad to help you get your wings a bit more if ya like Dee." Crowe offers.

He floats up over the fence and lands nearby Mercury and Zodiac. Nodding along with Dee as he explains what he hoped to find. "Could be interesting though. Honestly anything in here could be useful. What about secret basements?" He asked a little jokingly.

12. - Top - End - #1302

OldWizardGuy

"Now the only main concern is if the concert is the way to go, or pick something else. I'm gonna ask the council about it." He smirks realizing that John may have been the best person to ask among the guys. Well, him and Drake.
    A date in two phases, John considered. Phase one at a restaurant, offering Keith the dignity of a chance in an unequivocal date-like setting. Phase two, they meet a common friend, who is a close friend of Keith’s, providing the option of continuing the date, shifting the event into the friend-zone, or pleading some discomfort (e.g., the meal disagreeing with her) or a phone call (e.g., from Miss Balinski) that requires her immediate departure without the awkwardness of leaving Keith standing on the street with a foolish look on his face wondering what happened.

Been there. Done that. Watched it happen to others. Not sending Keith the postcard.

“I think you would be well served to go with the concert if she suggested it,” John offered, turning away from Keith as he pulled Clea into the parking lot. “If it is something she would like to see, you don’t want to set up the date with the possibility of disappointing her by not giving her the chance to go to the concert — especially a concert you had been thinking about attending already. After all, the goal is to try to make sure she has a good time, right?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-08-11 at 04:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303

AssassinGuy

“I think you would be well served to go with the concert if she suggested it,” John offered, turning away from Keith as he pulled Clea into the parking lot. “If it is something she would like to see, you don’t want to set up the date with the possibility of disappointing her by not giving her the chance to go to the concert — especially a concert you had been thinking about attending already. After all, the goal is to try to make sure she has a good time, right?”
    Keith nods after thinking about the last bit John had said. Why else would she suggest it? It could also be a nice connecting point too and may just be what's needed.

"I can't argue any of those points at all. It's possible she's excited about it too, and....." He thought back to how she had mentioned the concert back on Saturday. "I guess I'm just a bit slow on the uptake. She mentioned it a little bit Saturday afternoon."

He smiled and chuckled. "Thank you, John. You've really helped me put this all into perspective and get a better idea of things."

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Good Cop, Bad Cop
    Louis' smirk vanishes just as quickly as it appears. "Wait, you're actually gonna torture the guy?" He runs a hand through his hair as he wrestles with the idea. "And what if neither of them knows where they're keeping Izzy?"

He waits for Ryker's response before he continues. "If you can keep their injuries within reason then I think we'll be okay. Nothing more than what they would've got walking away from a fight with you, got it? I figure that should give you enough rope to work with." And enough plausible deniability for me.
    “Yeah,” Ryker says flatly. “He won’t talk if I don’t. We’ll deal with it if he doesn’t know where Izzy is.”

He nods. “I can work with that.”

"So how many times have you done this exactly?" Louis asks, his curiosity momentarily getting the better of him. Though he's quick to correct his thinking. "Actually... don't answer that." He says as they finish taping up the bald Rook.
    “You wouldn’t like the answer anyway,” Ryker says as he starts to drag that Rook to the opposite side of the room. He situates the chair so it’s facing down the hallway on the East side of the house, away from Jackie.

He nods and releases the illusion on Ryker as he makes his way to the back room. And now we wait. He took out his phone to check the time and any messages he may have missed while he tries to piece together an explanation as to what he and Ryker were up to for the better part of the day.
    Louis’ phone shows 10:22am. No new texts or calls.

When Ryker and Louis enter the bedroom, Jackie is just starting to wake up. He strains against his bonds as Ryker stalks closer and he realizes who exactly he’s been abducted by.

“Hey Jackie,” Ryker calls with mock friendliness. “How ya feelin’?” He walks up to the restrained Rook and leans forward, looking Jackie in the eye. “You understand what’s goin’ on here, right?”

At Jackie’s slight nod, Ryker says, “Good. So, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. Your choice.”

Ryker rips away the tape that covers Jackie’s mouth and the Rook lets out a grunt of pain before looking back up. “**** you, McKay. I ain’t tellin’ you ****,” he spits.

“That wasn’t the right answer, Jackie,” Ryker says as he grabs the Rook’s pointer finger. He braces his thumb on the joint and with a sickening pop, breaks it.

Jackie screams as tears well up in his eyes. He looks down at his hand and sees his finger pointing the opposite direction it’s supposed to and swallows before shaking his head.

Ryker looks at him for a moment before putting his hand on the Rook’s shoulder and leaning the chair back so that it balances on two legs. “Look… Jackie, this is me bein’ nice. You recognize me. You know what I used to do to people when I worked for Jesse.”

“You can’t do that **** now though,” the Rooks replies weakly. “You’re on a hero team—“

“So what?” Ryker growls, cutting him off. “They’re not here to stop me. Ain’t no cameras. Nobody knows you’re here. I can do whatever the **** I want to you.”

“Y-you won’t kill me,” the Rook says in a shaky voice.

Ryker smiles widely. Smoke starts to curl up from under his hand as acid eats through the Rook’s shirt. “You’re right. I won’t kill you. I’ll just make it so you wish I did. I’m gonna melt your eyes, your nose. I’ll leave your ears alone though, so you can hear the little kids that’ll scream and cry every time they see your face. Even your own mama will wish you’d died because you’ll be so ****ing disgusting to look at.”

He pushes lightly, and the chair tips over and slams into the bare concrete floor. Jackie whimpers as Ryker stands over him. The former villain puts his hand off to the side of the Rook’s face and the concrete sizzles as a colorless liquid drips off of his index finger, right next to Jackie’s ear.

The Rook flinches away as Ryker leans closer. “You got five seconds before I move my hand and that **** that’s eatin’ the concrete goes on your face.”

“Okay okay!” Jackie screams. “I’ll tell you, McKay! I’ll tell you!”

Ryker glares at the Rook a moment longer before grabbing his shirt and pulling him and the chair back upright. “So start talkin’, Jackie.”

Jackie catches his breath and blinks a few times before he manages to look up at Ryker. “Do you know Seth Remington?”

“I’ve heard of him,” Ryker replies, crossing his arms. “He was one’a Vic’s boys. Meta.”

“He took over the Belcaro set when Vic got killed by ISPD a few weeks ago and he wanted to prove himself to the boss. A couple’a his boys saw you last week on Highland Avenue, and another guy saw the dude you rode in with talk to the old guy that owns the coffee place before you two rode off. So, as motivation, Seth had Leo capture one’a the girls that worked there when she was on her way home Sunday night. We thought that maybe the old guy might call the other dude, but I didn’t expect you of all people to come by within two days.” Jackie swallows again. “You know the guy?”

Ryker grabs Jackie’s pinky finger on his left hand and snaps it. “You’re gettin’ off topic,” he says as Jackie cries out again. “So this is all Seth’s doin’? Jesse doesn’t know about it?”

The Rook nods as he breathes through the pain. “H-he wanted to surprise the boss by capturing you; that’s what he said at least. Wanted to prove himself.”

“Where are you keepin’ the girl?” Ryker asks, grabbing another finger.

Jackie winces, looking down at his hand before looking back at Ryker. “Honest man, I don’t know! My best guess is at the safehouse on Summit. That’s where Leo usually stays.”

Ryker breaks his ring finger anyway.

“What the ****, man!” Jackie exclaims as he strains against the tape again. “I wasn’t lyin’! I don’t know where she is!” His head drops to his chest as his nose starts to run and tears roll down his cheeks. “I don’t know where she is, man…” he mutters.

“You got anything you wanna ask him?” Ryker asks Louis with a disgusted shake of his head. “Keep it together, Jackie. They’re just fingers.”

Haunted House
    Spoiler: Notice TN 8
    Show
    Mercury’s eyes narrow slightly at John as he casts his spell and he sighs gently.

“Thanks Dee,” Zodiac says with a wag of her tail. She sniffs the ground, and starts moving toward the rubble.

“We just did a quick walk around the perimeter,” Mercury replies as he moves to follow Zodiac. “She didn’t smell anything recent.”

The two of the carefully pick their way through the destroyed building until Zodiac stops in front of a destroyed section of wall that’s covered with a large broken bit of roof. “I can smell something from under here,” she says, pawing at the piece of metal roof.

Mercury squats to get his hands underneath it, and lifts, exposing a steel trapdoor in the concrete floor that’s covered in warding runes.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-08-11 at 08:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1305

AssassinGuy

Haunted House
    Spoiler: Notice TN 8
    Show
    Mercury’s eyes narrow slightly at John as he casts his spell and he sighs gently.

“Thanks Dee,” Zodiac says with a wag of her tail. She sniffs the ground, and starts moving toward the rubble.

“We just did a quick walk around the perimeter,” Mercury replies as he moves to follow Zodiac. “She didn’t smell anything recent.”

The two of the carefully pick their way through the destroyed building until Zodiac stops in front of a destroyed section of wall that’s covered with a large broken bit of roof. “I can smell something from under here,” she says, pawing at the piece of metal roof.

Mercury squats to get his hands underneath it, and lifts, exposing a steel trapdoor in the concrete floor that’s covered in warding runes.
    Crowe looks over and sees the water umbrella Dee creates and then catches a glance at Mercury's reaction to it. He just smiled under his hood, and turns to follow Zodiac back into the building.

He shrugs on hearing the update. "Too much to hope there might be somethin' recent." At Zodiac's mention of something under the bit of roof, Crowe watches as Mercury lifts it. "Mercury, remind me not to spar you full power," a nervous laugh leaves him as he says the last bit.

He looks at the runes a bit curiously though. "Dee, you recognize them or how to get rid of them?"

Spoiler: Does Crowe know things?
    Show

Occult Knowledge: 1d6o6 1 1d6o6 2

THOSE BE RUNES!

16. - Top - End - #1306

OldWizardGuy

Crowe looks over and sees the water umbrella Dee creates and then catches a glance at Mercury's reaction to it. He just smiled under his hood, and turns to follow Zodiac back into the building.
    Dee extended and split the rain barrier so that one hovered over each of them. “Ladies first, of course,” he offered to Mercury apologetically.

Crowe looks at the runes a bit curiously though. "Dee, you recognize them or how to get rid of them?"
    “You had to ask for a secret basement, Crowe” Dee says with a shake of his head and a half smile before kneeling down to look at the runes more closely.

(Note: The Link will show Notice because I forgot to change the name of the roll)
    Spoiler: Reading the Runes
    Show
    Occult: 1d12o12+2 8 1d6o6+2 4

If the roof laying over them were not enough of a hint, the runes appeared less than recent. More troubling, they were also properly set, with all the correct conjugations and declinations. Whoever had set them in place was better at what they were doing than the Cultists who had been in the Iron Station sewers of late.

He focused and passed his hands over the runes, erasing them from existence.

“They had been there for a while,” Dee observed as he stood and considered the trap door. “I would rather not have to beg off my dinner plans because I strained my back trying to lift something beyond my strength.” He glanced at Mercury. “Do you think it would be safer to open it or for you to flow the metal out of the way, exposing any mundane traps beneath it as you go?”

Spoiler: In case it is needed
    Show
    Notice/Danger Sense, if needed: 1d10o10+4 8 1d6o6+4 6

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haunted House
    Mercury heaves and shifts the piece of roof so that it leaves the trapdoor exposed. He kneels in front of it, placing his hand on the metal. “No traps,” he reports. “Just stairs.”

There’s a quiet grinding noise as the lock disengages with Mercury’s mental persuasion. He grabs the recessed handle as Zodiac shifts to her tiger form. “Ready?” he asks before pulling the trapdoor open.

A set of wooden stairs descends into the dark below. The stairs are warped and broken in places and Mercury looks doubtfully at them. “Do you guys want me to go first? I can try and put a sheet of metal on top, a few steps at a time.”

18. - Top - End - #1308

AssassinGuy

Haunted House
    Mercury heaves and shifts the piece of roof so that it leaves the trapdoor exposed. He kneels in front of it, placing his hand on the metal. “No traps,” he reports. “Just stairs.”

There’s a quiet grinding noise as the lock disengages with Mercury’s mental persuasion. He grabs the recessed handle as Zodiac shifts to her tiger form. “Ready?” he asks before pulling the trapdoor open.

A set of wooden stairs descends into the dark below. The stairs are warped and broken in places and Mercury looks doubtfully at them. “Do you guys want me to go first? I can try and put a sheet of metal on top, a few steps at a time.”
    Keith looks down into the dark below and shrugs. "I can go first since I pretty much see normally, can call out anything if need be." He looks back down at the stairs. "Then again, the metal sheets might not be a bad idea.... If we knew just how far down it was, I'd about suggest a makeshift slide." He shrugs. "Would be a bit safer for ya than the rickety steps."

He turns back to the group. This might be the dumbest idea he ever had, but it was the best he had at the time. "This may be the worst idea I have had in a while, but I'm gonna see how far down they go right fast. At least get a gauge of how far they go." He starts floating only slightly off the floor and makes his way down turning back to Mercury momentarily. A tendril of darkness that's almost rope-like extends from the palm of his hand to Mercury.

"I pull twice it's all good, it goes slack, I'm racing back up here." He says with a smirk before turning back and going down the stairs. Keeping his eyes peeled for any signs of traps or really anything as he descends.

Spoiler: Seein in Darkness
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 13 1d6o6+2 12
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-08-12 at 01:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1309

OldWizardGuy

"I pull twice it's all good, it goes slack, I'm racing back up here." He says with a smirk before turning back and going down the stairs. Keeping his eyes peeled for any signs of traps or really anything as he descends.
    Dee reached out and put a hand on Crowe’s shoulder just before he reached the stairs. “A brave offer, but I think you may find danger sooner than that and fast enough that you would not have time to react. Let’s take a closer look from up here first.”

Dee walked around to where he could look down into the darkness, drawing his binoculars out of his cape. Switching on the Dark Vision mode, he carefully crouched down, peering down the stairs and into the darkness below.

Spoiler: Do We Need to Attack the Darkness?
    Show
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-08-12 at 01:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haunted House
    Both Dee and Crowe notice an additional ward on the ceiling as it slopes downward. It’s small, barely the size of a golf ball, in black paint that blends into the darkness.

At the bottom of the stairs it opens up into what looks like a larger room.

21. - Top - End - #1311

OldWizardGuy

Haunted House
    Both Dee and Crowe notice an additional ward on the ceiling as it slopes downward. It’s small, barely the size of a golf ball, in black paint that blends into the darkness.

“Defense in depth with a covert approach,” Dee observed as he exerted his will and removed the second ward. “Either there is a second point of entry we will find downstairs or whoever set those wards wasn’t worried about descending these stairs after they had been collapsed. Either way, we are dealing with someone who likes to be prepared and doesn’t care if others are harmed. We must be cautious.”

Dee offered the binoculars to Mercury. “Did you want to use these to help you see while you reinforced the stairs? Unless I missed something, we should be clear down the stairs.”

22. - Top - End - #1312

AssassinGuy

Haunted House

“Defense in depth with a covert approach,” Dee observed as he exerted his will and removed the second ward. “Either there is a second point of entry we will find downstairs or whoever set those wards wasn’t worried about descending these stairs after they had been collapsed. Either way, we are dealing with someone who likes to be prepared and doesn’t care if others are harmed. We must be cautious.”

Dee offered the binoculars to Mercury. “Did you want to use these to help you see while you reinforced the stairs? Unless I missed something, we should be clear down the stairs.”
    Crowe nods in agreement and clicks his teeth. "Would have about missed that too, or been too close before noticing. Thanks Dee." He looked back down the stairs again thinking back to the most basic of basics he had been taught. Always look before you go in. He watched as Mercury was offered the binoculars.

"I'm never saying secret basement again." He thinks for a moment. A larger room may have some sort of light source, but they couldn't be entirely sure. "More than likely a second hidden entrance. Or the collapse of the building was planned. Wouldn't be surprised after seeing that ward and it being perfectly blended into the dark."

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haunted House
    Mercury shakes his head at Dee. “I can use the nails in the stairs as guidelines,” he says as Zodiac shifts back to her wolf form. “You keep them, so you can be in the lookout for more spells.”

“I can provide a little bit of light as well.” Soft blue fire ignites in rings just above each of Zodiac’s paws.

“Crowe, take point. Keep your eyes peeled for anything else. Dee, you and Zodiac next, and I’ll bring up the rear.” Bright silver metal flows from Mercury’s shoes over the first five stairs, covering them completely. Zodiac waits for Crowe and Dee, then follows them down.

The closer the team gets to the room at the bottom of the stairs, the more a sense of dread fills them. The air gets colder with each descending step.

Once at the bottom, the stairs open up into a large square room made of grayish stone. On the back wall is a humanoid figure that looks to be carved out of the wall. It’s face has no features other than some carved runes and two tall horns stick out of the top of its head. Longs arms are held low in front of its body and in it’s cupped black hands sits a yellowed, intricately carved skull with glittering green-black stones for eyes.

Spoiler: John- Occult TN 8
    Show
    The runes on the statue’s face are shorthand for a demon’s name— Turai Vaneya-ket

Spoiler: Occult TN 8
    Show
    There is a blasphemous ritual that can attempt to bind a spirit to their bones after the person has departed. This skull looks ancient, and was probably something that the Cult of the Red Dawn worshiped before they were destroyed.

Spoiler: Danger Sense TN 4
    Show
    The skull and statue ping John’s senses as something very dangerous.
    Spoiler: TN 8
    Show
    The eyes of the skull seem familiar though, like he’s felt their pull on his soul before.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-08-12 at 07:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1314

AssassinGuy

Haunted House
    Mercury shakes his head at Dee. “I can use the nails in the stairs as guidelines,” he says as Zodiac shifts back to her wolf form. “You keep them, so you can be in the lookout for more spells.”

“I can provide a little bit of light as well.” Soft blue fire ignites in rings just above each of Zodiac’s paws.

“Crowe, take point. Keep your eyes peeled for anything else. Dee, you and Zodiac next, and I’ll bring up the rear.” Bright silver metal flows from Mercury’s shoes over the first five stairs, covering them completely. Zodiac waits for Crowe and Dee, then follows them down.

The closer the team gets to the room at the bottom of the stairs, the more a sense of dread fills them. The air gets colder with each descending step.

Once at the bottom, the stairs open up into a large square room made of grayish stone. On the back wall is a humanoid figure that looks to be carved out of the wall. It’s face has no features other than some carved runes and two tall horns stick out of the top of its head. Longs arms are head low in front of its body and in it’s cupped black hands sits a yellowed, intricately carved skull with glittering green-black stones for eyes.

Spoiler: John- Occult TN 8
    Show
    The runes on the statue’s face are shorthand for a demon’s name— Turai Vaneya-ket

Spoiler: Occult TN 8
    Show
    There is a blasphemous ritual that can attempt to bind a spirit to their bones after the person has departed. This skull looks ancient, and was probably something that the Cult of the Red Dawn worshiped before they were destroyed.

Spoiler: Danger Sense TN 4
    Show
    The skull and statue ping John’s senses as something very dangerous.
    Spoiler: TN 8
    Show
    The eyes of the skull seem familiar though, like he’s felt their pull on his soul before.
    Crowe nods and starts to float down the stairs, commenting about the fire. "Didn't know you could do that Zodiac. Pretty cool really!" He continues to float down the stairway, keeping his eyes peeled as he descends into the large room they had seen a moment before.

Spoiler: Noticing Things
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 5 1d6o6+2 7

When they are all down, he shivers as they get about partway down. "Dee, you pickin' up on anything?" Crowe didn't have the sense for danger that Dee did, but he could tell something was off. It wasn't hard to with the way the air just kept getting colder. Upon reaching the room, Crowe still doesn't stop levitating just in case. He takes a quick look around before everyone else comes back down.

Spoiler: Noticing things 2
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 3 1d6o6+2 6

When he looks at the statue and skull, Crowe just feels a shiver. "Creepy."

Spoiler: What is it?
    Show

Occult Knowledge: 1d6o6 5 1d6o6 4

"Definitely ain't anythin' from the Empire that's for sure....." He mutters mostly to himself. As he turns to Dee he holds up his hands. "I promise I ain't touchin' anything. Any ideas?"

25. - Top - End - #1315

OldWizardGuy

Dee descended the stairs with a growing sense of dread, causing him to summon the Enochian Tablets in order to be ready for whatever they found. There was something all too familiar that he could not put his finger on. When he had descended the stairway that led to Sir Bedford Stukes-de Ville‘s long-hidden lab but the feeling he was getting from this space was noticeably different than the background menace that the trance-like state he had fallen into had dulled.

This was more immediate and, as Zodiac’s light forced the shadows from the far wall, were centered on the statue and the skull it held.

He released the Tablets.

"Definitely ain't anythin' from the Empire that's for sure....." He mutters mostly to himself. As he turns to Dee he holds up his hands. "I promise I ain't touchin' anything. Any ideas?"
    Spoiler: Rolls, part one
    Show
    Occult Roll in the ‘abandoned’ Cult room: 1d12o12+2 11 1d6o6+2 12

Notice/Danger Sense Roll in the ‘abandoned’ Cult room: 1d10o10+4 7 1d6o6+4 14

One Bennie spent to reroll Occult (Frickin’ 7….)

“More than I would care to, Crowe,” John admitted thoughtfully. “I am not sure if I should consider this my day or not. Please, everyone: Don’t touch anything.”

John’s eyes swept the room, looking for anomalies. “With your permission, Mercury: Zodiac, could you check the area around the doorway for scent markings or disturbances in the dust pattern to determine if it has been used recently?”

John reached up and tapped his comm, switching to Angelical. “Direct to Seraph and Harbinger — High Priority: This is Dee. Crowe, Zodiac, Mercury and I have discovered a hidden basement room, inside of which is a statue in the honor of the demon Turai. The statue is holding a ritual skull — likely containing a spirit and definitely containing a Stone of Vashuuna. I intend to study the statue and try to obtain the Stone and skull. I will wait for five minutes to give you an opportunity to direct me otherwise.

“If someone is available to provide overwatch to alert us to incoming demons, I would appreciate the backup.

He took a breath. “I will also attempt to contact Dr. Riviera — telepathically or over comms — in three minutes unless you countermand.

“Dee out.”

“The Cult seems to have dedicated itself to House Vaneya,” John explained, switching back to English and setting two timers on his watch, “given that the demon Princess the team defeated before our arrival was of the same House commemorated by this statue. The skull has been ritually prepared to house a spirit after death and, although you probably have already guessed it, appears to have been venerated by the Cult of the Red Dawn.

“One of the gemstones is of the same kind found in the necklace we retrieved recently. Out of an abundance of caution, please do not say its name. Speaking in Angelical here was already more of a risk than I would have preferred to take, as it risks perking up the metaphysical ears of any spirits that linger here.”

The visions he would receive from this Stone, logically speaking, would be different from those received by Harbinger. It would probably be for the best to consult with that more senior hero before touching the Stone. His own visions were far less developed than his and engaging with one of these Stones would be several orders of magnitude more significant than noting the infidelity of the AEGIS Agent who sat in the same booth he did.

It might also blow open the case they were working on.

It would almost certainly derail his dinner plans.

John studied the floor and the skull, searching for linguistic or ritual clues as to the name of its possible occupant. The patterns called to mind Tibet — although the skeletons could have been Mesoamerican as well.

Spoiler: Rolls, Part Two
    Show

There were safer ways to approach this — ones that took time, but he was curious as to whose skull was here and, with the wards gone, felt like the clock was ticking before the Stone started calling out more broadly.

“I don’t suppose you would like to save us all some time and tell us who you are and the appropriate form of address we should use when greeting you,” Dee said to the skull and taking a cautious step closer. “The investigation is interesting but I imagine you haven’t had many beings to speak with over the last decade or two.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-08-13 at 09:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haunted House
    John only gets static back from his comm. The team is most likely too far underground for them to work.

Mercury shakes his head at the statue and skull as he walks over to the right side of the room and studies the door that Dee had indicated. "Doesn't look disturbed."

Zodiac observes the figure and her hackles raise. The fire around her paws flares up a little brighter. "Dee, everything you just said is... terrible news. But why would they dedicate themselves to such a low-ranked House? Vaneya is the lowest plane, is it not?" She joins Mercury next to the door. "I don't smell anything recent here."

As John scrutinizes the skull, he sees one rune that stands out to him. It says Rizaska, 'master summoner'. The carvings themselves do look like they could be Tibetian, but something seems a little off about them.

The gemstones set into the skull flash and seem to shift as John speaks to it. The bottom mandible shifts and a thin female voice, barely a whisper, answers Dee. "You ask me for my name and title, yet you have come into my shrine and spoken in the language the Erelim use, even though you yourself are no Erelim. You and then others here are trespassing, and for that, you will die."

The runes on the statue's face begin to leak a reddish-black fluid and the skull sinks down into its hands, into the black stone. The statue pulls itself away from the wall with some effort, cracking the stone as it stands to its full 12-foot height, fixing its blank face on Dee.

Combat Begins!
    Dee begins this Combat on Hold
    10s... Crowe has Initiative
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-08-13 at 10:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1317

NinjaGuy

Louis leans against the frame of the door as the interrogation begins, looking on with interest after the Rook spits out a few words in protest.

He can't help but wince at the first sickening pop of Jackie's finger being snapped out of place. Louis readjusts his position in the doorway so that he's facing the wall instead of watching what unfolds inside of the room. Substituting the periodic snap that filled room with the sound of blown fuse helped him to stomach the scene.

“You got anything you wanna ask him?” Ryker asks Louis with a disgusted shake of his head. “Keep it together, Jackie. They’re just fingers.”
    Louis looks backs over to Ryker and walks towards him nonchalantly with both hands in his pockets.

"I've got a few questions actually but I don't think your friend here has enough fingers left to break."

He looses a tired sigh.

"Tell you what? You answer my questions and I'll try to keep this short. That work for you?"

He waits for a cooperative response.

"Alright for starters what's Jesse been up to these days? Gotta imagine keeping up with the Crowns has him busy as of late."

28. - Top - End - #1318

AssassinGuy

Haunted House
    John only gets static back from his comm. The team is most likely too far underground for them to work.

Mercury shakes his head at the statue and skull as he walks over to the right side of the room and studies the door that Dee had indicated. "Doesn't look disturbed."

Zodiac observes the figure and her hackles raise. The fire around her paws flares up a little brighter. "Dee, everything you just said is... terrible news. But why would they dedicate themselves to such a low-ranked House? Vaneya is the lowest plane, is it not?" She joins Mercury next to the door. "I don't smell anything recent here."

As John scrutinizes the skull, he sees one rune that stands out to him. It says Rizaska, 'master summoner'. The carvings themselves do look like they could be Tibetian, but something seems a little off about them.

The gemstones set into the skull flash and seem to shift as John speaks to it. The bottom mandible shifts and a thin female voice, barely a whisper, answers Dee. "You ask me for my name and title, yet you have come into my shrine and spoken in the language the Erelim use, even though you yourself are no Erelim. You and then others here are trespassing, and for that, you will die."

The runes on the statue's face begin to leak a reddish-black fluid and the skull sinks down into its hands, into the black stone. The statue pulls itself away from the wall with some effort, cracking the stone as it stands to its full 12-foot height, fixing its blank face on Dee.

Combat Begins!
    Dee begins its Combat on Hold
    Crowe looks over the stone door again and then back to the statue as Dee speaks. Then nods in agreement with Zodiac. It was a bit odd they would ally with the lowest level, but there had to be some reason for it.

At the voice coming from the skull, his head tilts a good bit. "That's..... oh ****......." He summons some of the darkness around his hand to shoot a blast at the statue.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC
    Show

Keith attacks the statue! Heavy Weapon!
    Shooting: 1d10o10 5 1d6o6 19
    HE REALLY WANTS IT DEAD!
    Damage: 5d6o6 20
    OOC: That's, fairly underwhelming.

29. - Top - End - #1319

OldWizardGuy

Haunted House

“It is,” John replied. “If they are dedicated to that single house, it may tell us something about our as of yet unnamed opponent. Limiting our list of possible candidates to a single House would make our research much more manageable.”

Combat Begins!
    Dee begins this Combat on Hold
    Great, John thought. Plan B, then. The absence of interference or effect on Zodiac’s telepathy made him consider his next move safe.

Emi, darling, John projected. Can you let Seraph, Harbinger, and Dr. Riviera we have come across another Stone at our destination? We’re too far underground for the comms signal to get out. He signed mentally. I have to keep this quick. There’s a master summoner inhabiting a skull I have to attend to now. I lll…ook forward to having dinner with you.

Be careful with your thoughts, John. Your amulet may moderate your fear reaction but it can’t prevent carelessness.

Focus, John.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-08-13 at 05:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320

OldWizardGuy

What surprised Dee most was not the nonchalance with which he had sent a telepathic message to his stunningly beautiful and powerful psychic girlfriend about facing a master summoner who possessed one of the nine unaccounted for Stones of Vanuusha, Dee thought to himself as he mentally ran through which of his spells would be the best option. What surprised him was the absence of manners with which the summoner had addressed him. You would think that a master summoner — whether a true master or merely self-styled — would have developed a greater sense of civility, given the entities she would be contacting. In retrospect, his own introduction was a little cheeky but his own station was at least close enough to that of a master summoner to permit a certain collegiality. Nevertheless, he had to concede that he had contributed to things getting off on the wrong foot.

Of course era and culture could have an impact on her reaction. After all, it was more appropriate for him to wait for the lady to initiate the introduction. But the whole “my shrine” thing suggested it was an air of self importance that was driving the conversation.

Not to mention the whole her being a probable leader of a demonic cult thing.

The Enochian Tablets appeared beneath his hands as he scribed out his spell, pushing his concerns about how easily he was accepting all of this as normal. Calling upon the Circle of Amun-Set was an option, of course, but when he drew it from his case he had expected it to eventually be used against a demon and he suspected he should retain that option — especially of there was a raeksha or worse on the way.

A more direct approach felt like it was more called for here anyway. It would let him gauge their relative standings as magicians and let her know what kind of a figure she was facing.

His spell would force the statue into a form of his choice rather than of her’s, opening it up into a pedestal with pincers that held the skull in place with a hair’s more pressure than was strictly necessary — making it clear that she should stop.

Spoiler: A Battle of Magical Wills
    Show
    Matter Control: Earth/Stone (10), Requires Material (-2) = 8
    Paralysis (3), Contingent (-2) = 1 (Test of Wills v. Spellcasting roll of 9?)
    Spellcasting — Matter Control: 1d12o12+2 9 1d6o6+2 7