New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC II

Spoiler: Inside John’s Mind
    Show
    Emi’s smile grows wider as John speaks and her expression gets more and more amused. “Relax, John,” she says with a short laugh. “I was kidding. Honestly, I think my brother would be very upset if I brought you over to our base for our first real life date.”

“I can meet you on the roof of your HQ. Just go up there and have your AI lock the door,” she suggests. “Hopefully they’ll get the hint. If they don’t, I can be very persuasive,” she says, looking faux-intently at John.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Emi’s smile grows wider as John speaks and her expression gets more and more amused. “Relax, John,” she says with a short laugh. “I was kidding. Honestly, I think my brother would be very upset if I brought you over to our base for our first real life date.”

“I can meet you on the roof of your HQ. Just go up there and have your AI lock the door,” she suggests. “Hopefully they’ll get the hint. If they don’t, I can be very persuasive,” she says, looking faux-intently at John.
    Notes to Self, the analytical part of his brain catalogued:

1. She has a super-powered brother (Assumption: Residence in then base suggests association with the team.). Conduct research in AEGIS database and with Keith to determine likelihood of him dropping a car on your head to make a point about caring for his sister.
    2. Demonstrating to sister’s less worthy suitors that you can drop a car on their head may be impressive but would require discarding secret identity. Unadvisable approach to take at this time.
    3. Super-powered brother suggests genetic link to powers. Research family in database to determine likelihood of father attempting to drop a car on his daughter’s suitors’ heads to make a point about arming about his daughter.
    4. Extract pledge from Clea that she will resist being used as an object to be dropped on my head.
    5. Order garden set for roof for same-day delivery as soon as possible.

“You don’t have to convince me of that,” John responded, trying to relax and wondering why he was suddenly fixated on cars. He made an additional mental note to watch out for synchronistic associations with cars. “But if I may be so bold to ask, how will you get to our roof? I’m guessing you know the address because you have visited before — or Keith mentioned it to you at some point when he was transferring over. But even with the old fire escapes, it isn’t easily accessible.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-04-27 at 09:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Show
    “I guess all you know of my powers is that I’m a telepath,” Emi says. “I’m also a proficient telekinetic. Using that, I am capable of, albeit slow, flight. Getting to the roof isn’t a problem for me.”

“So, tomorrow at 3:30,” She extracts her hand and moves her seat back to stand. “I’ve enjoyed our date, John. I’m really looking forward to the next one.”

4. - Top - End - #154

OldWizardGuy

Show
    “I guess all you know of my powers is that I’m a telepath,” Emi says. “I’m also a proficient telekinetic. Using that, I am capable of, albeit slow, flight. Getting to the roof isn’t a problem for me.”

“So, tomorrow at 3:30,” She extracts her hand and moves her seat back to stand. “I’ve enjoyed our date, John. I’m really looking forward to the next one.”
    “The pleasure was all mine, Emi” John said as he stood, “and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow under more pleasant circumstances.” He glanced around, half stepping from behind the table but once again unsure. “I’m not sure how this part works. Normally, one would walk a lady to her door. Does the bridge stand in for that or do we follow some other protocol?”

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Show
    “Such a gentleman,” Emi says. Her form wavers. There’s a gust of wind off the water, and she disappears entirely, leaving John alone in his thoughts.

Team
    As East Side flies away in the back of Draconian, an unmarked black Charger stops outside the police line, and Detective Varga steps out.

Seraph looks at John to get his attention as the detective stops to speak with one of the officers first. “So how’d it go?” the angel asks in Angelical.

“West Side, Zodiac, if you’re ready you can head back to base,” Seraph says over comms. “I’ll speak to the detective.”

Zodiac shifts into her cockatrice form and lets Will get on her back before she takes off back to base.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 04:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156

OldWizardGuy

Show
    “Such a gentleman,” Emi says. Her form wavers. There’s a gust of wind off the water, and she disappears entirely, leaving John alone in his thoughts.
    Show

John found a bemused smile on his face after Emi faded. “No kissing on the first date — even if it’s all in out heads.” His smile, however, quickly faded. He had business to attend to. “You may as well make yourself known. I know you are there.”

“I must concede,” a sinister voice said from behind him, “that you handled that remarkably well, corporeal. You may almost be worthy of our active interest.

“Almost.”

John turned and faced the spirit, which he sensed was suspending time a little longer to speak with him. “I was wondering if you would make an actual appearance or find some way to not remain in the shadows of the chasm. To what entity am I speaking?”

“For now, you may call me Sir,” came the condescending reply from the indeterminate shape standing behind the table.

“I see, Sir Spirit,” John returned. “Did you come to provide color commentary or are you here to see how well my mental construct of a cucumber sandwich compares to the real thing?”

The spirit snorted derisively. “Never touch the stuff. While the concept behind feeding is one we can comprehend, its association with fallen matter is something that is, quite frankly, almost as repulsive as that display of affection you engaged in.”

“Then turn away next time, Sir Spirit, and give us some privacy.”

The spirit considered him. “Yes,” it said after a moment. “Almost worthy. The shift of my injunction for a name that would subordinate you to me into a title is a clever defense — no spells required. And despite watching your will leak out your ears every time the female looked at you, you seem none the worse for wear, even after you confronted and contained your fears of her finding you unworthy, confessing flaws.

“Yes. Almost.

“If you survive the demon, we may even need to directly act. Some of my colleagues recommend acting now and countering your threat before you have time to mature. But they are a small, excitable wing of our conclave.

“No. While I will condescend to speak with you, we will not condescend to do more than toy with you for now.

“Enjoy your dreams of love, John Kelley, and remember how easily we corrupted it through Edward with just a few hints that played on his desires. He wasn’t our target but through him we struck true.

“And accidentally set in chain events that led to me,” John observed cooly. “Perhaps you actually missed your mark.”

He could feel the anger and dark delight of the spirit at his rejoinder.

“Touché, John Kelley. Touché. You are learning fast. I look forward to the contest when it begins.”

The world around John faded into the mist as it was released and he returned to the mundane world.

As East Side flies away in the back of Draconian, an unmarked black Charger stops outside the police line, and Detective Varga steps out.

Seraph looks at John to get his attention as the detective stops to speak with one of the officers first. “So how’d it go?” the angel asks in Angelical.
    Seraph’s question snapped John completely back into reality. In between watching Emi, beautiful but poker-faced, walk back to Draconic as he processed their meeting and his meeting with one of the opposition, he had stood silently. He should have expected that Seraph sensed something more had occurred.

“So, I have some good news and some complicating news and some bad news, Seraph,” he responded in Angelical. “The good news is that Emi has agreed to help Sidney. The complicating news is that she agreed to a second date over high tea tomorrow at 3:30 on our base’s roof and I have no idea about the protocols for reserving space at the base.”

John looked down, somewhat embarrassed to have to admit the next bit to the angel. “The bad news is that I allowed myself to get distracted enough that we forgot to have her show me the image of Nightgaunt’s attacker. I’ll have to ask Zodiac to project it into my mind later.”

“West Side, Zodiac, if you’re ready you can head back to base,” Seraph says over comms. “I’ll speak to the detective.”

Zodiac shifts into her cockatrice form and lets Will get on her back before she takes off back to base.
    John’s mind caught up with Zodiac’s transformation a moment or two after she took off. It would be safer to have flown with her rather than cast a spell while so off-balance. Teleporting, however, had the advantage of getting him back to base fast and arriving perhaps before Stella and the others arrived.

“I’ll see you back at base, Crowe. We should probably talk. I have some questions I need to ask about your former base.”

He focused, bringing to mind his workshop’s circle.

And proximity to the coffin he needed to check.

Spoiler: Poof
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157

AssassinGuy

Team

Keith is still somewhat muddled in thought even after Yuki had ripped him back to reality. Something that he was rather grateful for but that also left him wondering how to best handle making amends to the team. He was about to take off with her and Will as Seraph started talking to John in that strange language again.

Why can't they just use English since we're all here for the same thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    John’s mind caught up with Zodiac’s transformation a moment or two after she took off. It would be safer to have flown with her rather than cast a spell while so off-balance. Teleporting, however, had the advantage of getting him back to base fast and arriving perhaps before Stella and the others arrived.

“I’ll see you back at base, Crowe. We should probably talk. I have some questions I need to ask about your former base.”

He focused, bringing to mind his workshop’s circle.

And proximity to the coffin he needed to check.

Spoiler: Poof
    Show
    Keith was again stirred from his thoughts by John's comment of needing to talk and having questions about East Side. "Wait what do you mean you nee...." John disappeared right before he could get the sentence finished and just dead panned with resting ***** face at where John was just standing. "And he's gone....."

He shakes his head to try and regain some state of calmness and realizes that Goldheart was still there. "Hey Goldheart, mind if I talk with ya for a second before we get back to base? I sent you a text the other day but mostly since I didn't know when you would be back and I'd much rather say what was in it in person, just haven't had a chance to." Keith hangs his head in shame. "Look, I'm sorry for what happened the day I arrived here. I should have let you know the full story because you are a teammate, and you deserved to know what was going on. I don't really expect any kind of forgiveness, honestly if you wanted to go ahead and punch me for it I deserve it."

Keith takes a deep breath. "Main thing is, I'm sorry, and would like to work towards redeeming myself."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Goldheart sees the mental image of the Armored woman and commits it to memory.

Way to get yourself killed, idiot. and before I could even apologize... ****.

"Should've made the effort earlier." He says aloud to no one. He turns to head out before Crowe calls to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    He shakes his head to try and regain some state of calmness and realizes that Goldheart was still there. "Hey Goldheart, mind if I talk with ya for a second before we get back to base? I sent you a text the other day but mostly since I didn't know when you would be back and I'd much rather say what was in it in person, just haven't had a chance to." Keith hangs his head in shame. "Look, I'm sorry for what happened the day I arrived here. I should have let you know the full story because you are a teammate, and you deserved to know what was going on. I don't really expect any kind of forgiveness, honestly if you wanted to go ahead and punch me for it I deserve it."

Keith takes a deep breath. "Main thing is, I'm sorry, and would like to work towards redeeming myself."
    "You're cool, man. It was ****ty finding out that way and ****tier to think someone else knew. But at the end of it you were trying to be helpful. So it's whatever. and if you're looking for redemption, we need to find who did this. I need to talk to them."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-04-28 at 09:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    Goldheart sees the mental image of the Armored woman and commits it to memory.

Way to get yourself killed, idiot. and before I could even apologize... ****.

"Should've made the effort earlier." He says aloud to no one. He turns to head out before Crowe calls to him.

"You're cool, man. It was ****ty finding out that way and ****tier to think someone else knew. But at the end of it you were trying to be helpful. So it's whatever. and if you're looking for redemption, we need to find who did this. I need to talk to them."
    Crowe nods and has a soft smile before going back to having a slightly serious look on his face. "I believe it, actually also found myself in a similar situation just today so.... karma's a *****. We'll find this ****er. Between all of us they can't stay hidden too long, even the best make mistakes." Crowe smirks at the comment. "Theirs was ****in' off every one of us."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

“Second date?” Seraph asks, glancing over at John for a moment while watching the detective. “I’m guessing the first one went well then. There really isn’t a protocol for reserving space in HQ, but the roof should be pretty quiet, as nothing happens that causes the team to need to scramble.”

A quick smile flashes across his face as John admits that two of them had forgotten the entire reason she’d looked into his mind in the first place. “That’s very unlike you, John. So distracted.”

The angel looks like he’s about to say more, but Detective Varga starts to make his way over. Seraph greets him and starts to walk him through the scene and what the teams had found.

Back at Base
    As John rematerializes, Mimi comes over the intercom. Her electronic voice sounds almost concerned. “John, I can’t locate Raphael. Do you have any new information? I am… unused to being so blind.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 10:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

OldWizardGuy

Back at Base
    As John rematerializes, Mimi comes over the intercom. Her electronic voice sounds almost concerned. “John, I can’t locate Raphael. Do you have any new information? I am… unused to being so blind.”
    “Raphael is currently Missing in Action, Mimi,” John reassured her. “I have some avenues of investigation I am working on, although I am not at liberty to share them with the team at this stage. While there is cause for concern, don’t worry too much about our teammate, Mimi. I am less concerned with if he will return than I am about the state he will be in when he does.

“Please keep the following information restricted to Seraph and myself at this time: Should Raphael appear in the base or tries to contact me via my comm, please alert me immediately, indicating I have an incoming call from Bauhaus 1986.”

His mind must be working overtime if it came up with that piece of trivia, he thought.

“I have a few other questions for you,” he said looking around at his workshop. What had appeared well appointed now felt inadequate. He would have to clean things up before tomorrow evening. “I need you to calculate how long a body of water vapor would take to drift from the market to our location. Second, please locate Stella and let me know when her ETA is. Please also locate Sidney for me.”

He looked down at the gold ring as he stepped to his workbench. It had impressed everyone who had seen it so far and he wondered if Emi would also be impressed. At that thought, he developed a sinking feeling that the preference for the material had been chosen by a practitioner centuries ago to impress a woman.

Not that he was in any position to criticize them if they did.

“I know you can monitor us, Mimi, but how much of the base can you actively see? I am especially interested in your ability to monitor the basement.”

Taking out a pen, he wrote a note on the notepad he kept there in case he needed to record something mid-experiment and tore it from the sheet. He folded it around one of his calling cards, secured it with a long pin, then placed it in his pocket.

Spoiler: The Note
    Show

Dear Raphael,

Give a call when you get in (My card is in the envelope.) and let me know if you need me to bring anything down — the blood packets you keep in the refrigerator, for example. I’m almost certain your recovery will have taken a good bit out of you and you will need some refreshment.

I have Mimi monitoring my line to make sure you can reach me — day or night — since you had locked your door from the outside and ripping it from its hinges might send the wrong message.

You may have planned to get out the door by shifting into a mist but, as I mentioned, I suspect the fight and your return will have left you fatigued.

Sincerely,

John

“Oh, and has Clea returned yet or is she stuck in traffic.”

John turned in the direction of Raphael’s secret chamber. Unless his teammate has a surprise in store for him, he didn’t expect to find a body resting in the coffin. Nevertheless, he needed to make certain before he left his note for Raphael.

Spoiler: We are Spirits in the Material World
    Show
    Spellcasting Roll for the Spirit World: 1d10o10 9

Heightened Senses (3): Low Light Vision and Spatial Sense (Spirit/X-Ray Vision), Contingent (-2) on Intangibility (5)

Shifting into the spirit world, John passed through the doorway of his workshop (Such an odd habit, he thought, given the wall would have been a more direct route.) and approached Raphael’s door. Again, he scanned the space, looking for any signs of Wards or similar traps in the room or on the coffin itself. He would hate to get this far and have to call off tomorrow’s date because he did something foolish here.

Spoiler: Roll for Detect Traps!
    Show
    Notice Roll: 1d10o10+4 8

Oh, no, he thought to himself. What if Raphael returns while he is entertaining Emi?

He couldn’t focus on that particular nightmare scenario now, he reminded himself. He had work to do here and now.

Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-04-28 at 12:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

NinjaGuy

Isabelle glances down at the cheat sheet prepared for her and runs her finger down, looking for the coffee Louis had ordered. “The owner makes some specialties everyday. Ah, here it is. He has a cookies and cream cookie that he would pair with it, or you could go with our fruit tart, which has strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in a vanilla custard,” she says, tossing her hair out of her eyes as she points to the tart inside the case below her. “Personally, I would go with the fruit tart. I just had a piece this morning and—“ she does a chef’s kiss “—it was so good. Mr. Ashford really knows what he’s doing.”
    "With an endorsement like that how could I refuse?" He flashes a smile. "I'll take one. Speaking of which, where is Scott anyway?" He feigns a glance around the cafe. "Is it just you today?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “I understand, John,” Mimi answers. It takes her a moment to do some calculations. “Based on the current wind speed and direction, water vapor would not be able to drift from Amity Market to West Side base.”

“Stella’s ETA is four minutes and thirty-eight seconds. Sidney is currently in the lounge, watching The Godfather while she waits for Aeryn and Stella to return.”

“To answer your question on how much of the base that I can see, the answer is all of it. I have sensors, video, audio, and others, in every room. Using those, I construct a spatial visualization of the entire interior structure of the base, including the basement. However, I cannot see into closed spaces, such as Raphael’s coffin. I would be able to see a change in temperature and any movement from the room it resides in.”

“Clea has returned. She is in the garage now.”

Looking into Raphael’s coffin, John can see he has not yet returned. He doesn’t sense any traps or wards in the room, beyond the obviously magical lock.

Louis
    “One Colombian Cauca and one slice of fruit tart,” Isabelle says as she puts it into the system. “Anything else for you?”

As Louis asks about Scott, she looks down in the kitchen off to her left. “Do you know the owner? He’s here, just in the middle of making some more coffee streusel cakes.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 01:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

NinjaGuy

“One Colombian Cauca and one slice of fruit tart,” Isabelle says as she puts it into the system. “Anything else for you?”
    "An introduction," he looks back over his shoulder to gauge the line. "If you have the time that is? I don't think we've met before and I'd definitely remember seeing you across the counter." He adds with few small nods of his head.

As Louis asks about Scott, she looks down in the kitchen off to her left. “Do you know the owner? He’s here, just in the middle of making some more coffee streusel cakes.”
    "Yeah, he's a friend. I'm actually out on delivery and I've got a letter for him. I think it can wait until he's finished baking though, I'm not exactly in a rush."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    Louis sees a few people behind him waiting in line. Isabelle exhales a little and smiles at Louis’ boldness. “Tell you what, you sit here at the bar and I’ll come talk to you once the line goes down.” She rings up his order and hands him the receipt. “This one’s on me.”

Once Louis takes a seat it’s a few minutes later when the other girl working behind the bar drops off Louis’ coffee. Her name tag says ‘Quinn’, and she quickly ducks under the counter to grab the fresh tart from the case. She cuts a piece out from it and sets it on a small serving plate with a fork, then putting it in front of Louis. “Let me or Izzy know if you need anything else,” she says before she heads back to work.

About five minutes later, the line has died down and those waiting for to-go orders have gotten their coffee and left. Isabelle comes over and stands in front of Louis’ seat. “Introductions, huh? I’m Izzy Castillo, barista by day and jazz musician by night. What’s your name, delivery boy?” she asks, leaning forward against the counter, propping herself up on her elbows.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 02:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

OldWizardGuy

John
    “I understand, John,” Mimi answers. It takes her a moment to do some calculations. “Based on the current wind speed and direction, water vapor would not be able to drift from Amity Market to West Side base.”

“Stella’s ETA is four minutes and thirty-eight seconds. Sidney is currently in the lounge, watching The Godfather while she waits for Aeryn and Stella to return.”

“To answer your question on how much of the base that I can see, the answer is all of it. I have sensors, video, audio, and others, in every room. Using those, I construct a spatial visualization of the entire interior structure of the base, including the basement. However, I cannot see into closed spaces, such as Raphael’s coffin. I would be able to see a change in temperature and any movement from the room it resides in.”
    John chuckled to himself. “I suspected you had to know about the coffin but I needed to be sure. I don’t know how long it will take Raphael to return to it but I expect him to arrive there at some point.

“By way of a test, please determine if you can sense my presence as I enter Raphael’s coffin room. I should appear there soon, if you do not detect me after I shift myself into the spirit realm.”

“Clea has returned. She is in the garage now.”

Looking into Raphael’s coffin, John can see he has not yet returned. He doesn’t sense any traps or wards in the room, beyond the obviously magical lock.
    Avoiding the door, John ghosts into Raphael’s room and approaches the side of the coffin. Reassuring himself there is no obvious danger, he temporarily shifts back into the mundane world.

He pauses as he reaches for the coffin, considering his options. While he had not sensed anything, a minimum of contact would be the most prudent approach. He could slip the note into the gap between the lid and the body of the coffin, making certain that it was roughly at eye level.

But how often does one get to look into a vampire’s coffin?

In his new role, the opportunity might present itself more often than he thought but he had no way of being sure.

He reached out and lifted the lid. The interior was much as he expected to find — an attractive and tasteful lining, appropriate colors, properly appointed for one of high rank.

That last detail struck him. Raphael had not put on any airs but the coffin spoke to wealth and power. Seraph had mentioned that the Darkwatch had destroyed his family. That act apparently took position as well as his parents.

John sighed. As if his vampiric associate wasn’t complicated enough. Of course, he was also the most likely person he would have to speak to in a century or two about the good old days.

He pushed that thought away as it crept toward his memory of Emi. He had too many other emotionally complex meetings coming up to face that fear made more concrete by having been on a date.

A lovely date.

Focus, John.

He looked at the impression where Raphael had rested his head over any number of years and pinned his note to the padding on the lid, gently lowering the lid back in place.

“I will be leaving this place now, Mimi,” John said in a hushed voice. Keep an eye on it for me and, when he returns, try to speak to him. We will need to contain him if he is in a rage or blood frenzy through no fault of his own.”

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “I can see a shift in the temperature,” Mimi says. “There are very small shifts in airflow that I can sense as well.”

“I will be sure to attempt to speak with Raphael once he returns, and I will be sure to let both you and Seraph know when he arrives.”

18. - Top - End - #168

OldWizardGuy

John
    “I can see a shift in the temperature,” Mimi says. “There are very small shifts in airflow that I can sense as well.”

“I will be sure to attempt to speak with Raphael once he returns, and I will be sure to let both you and Seraph know when he arrives.”
    Spoiler: Rolls for moving in and out of the Spirit realm.
    Show

“Thank you, Mimi. You’re a treasure.”

He realized how much he meant that as he shifted back into the spirit realm and left Raphael’s sanctum. Mimi was always there, always willing to help, always discrete. Given the madness of their lives, she provided the team with a comfort they would not get anywhere else: A sense of stability and security. They could retreat to their rooms and lock out the world while still knowing that she would be there to answer questions and provide them with what they needed.

John glanced upward as he returned to the main basement area, focusing up through the building to where he saw Jaal landing on the rooftop. He moved quickly toward the stairs, releasing his spell and returning to the mundane world.

He took the stairs up, two at a time, hoping he could get into place before Stella was able to reach the main floor.

She would need help. She would need hope.

She would look to him to find them.

He needed to speak the truth, he recognized as he reached the top of the stairs, without telling her all of it.

He reached the door to the roof. He would be in place when she arrived.

He hoped he would be up to the task.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    The door to the roof swings open and the first person John sees is Ryker. He stops in the doorway, eyes narrowed. “How the hell did you get here before us?”

“He teleported,” Drake answers from behind Ryker. “He did it the other day with me.”

Ryker glances over his shoulder at his team leader before he shrugs. He looks back at John and says low under his breath, “Stella’s not doin’ to good. I think she needs someone with her right now. Sid and I are happy to hang out, but I’m hopin’ that you have more answers for her than ‘Raph’s a strong dude, he’ll be fine’. I’m gonna get Sidney and tell her what happened.” He goes past John, heading down the stairs.

Behind him, Drake is leaning against the wall, waiting for Stella. She’s standing in front of Jaal, speaking quietly with the dragon.

20. - Top - End - #170

OldWizardGuy

John
    The door to the roof swings open and the first person John sees is Ryker. He stops in the doorway, eyes narrowed. “How the hell did you get here before us?”

“He teleported,” Drake answers from behind Ryker. “He did it the other day with me.”

Ryker glances over his shoulder at his team leader before he shrugs. He looks back at John and says low under his breath, “Stella’s not doin’ to good. I think she needs someone with her right now. Sid and I are happy to hang out, but I’m hopin’ that you have more answers for her than ‘Raph’s a strong dude, he’ll be fine’. I’m gonna get Sidney and tell her what happened.” He goes past John, heading down the stairs.

Behind him, Drake is leaning against the wall, waiting for Stella. She’s standing in front of Jaal, speaking quietly with the dragon.
    “I’ll do what I can, Ryker. Thank you.” He turned as he walked past. “Oh, before you go: We’ve secured someone to help Sidney. There are no guarantees but she and I will do what we can to help Sidney.”

John stepped forward to face Drake. “Your father, assuming my guess is correct about your relationship to Detective Varga is correct, was arriving on the scene when I was leaving. Seraph was going to speak with him about what happened.” John looked past him to where Stella was speaking with Jaal. “Wish me luck,” John said quietly as he stepped onto the roof.

He did not know if Stella was distracted enough to not notice his footfall but he doubted much would get past Jaal. Nor did he have any idea if reaching out to him would be enough to make contact.

“May I approach, Jaal?”

Even if it did not work, the pause would be enough to give each an opportunity to react to his presence.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Ryker’s steps pause. “Thanks John,” he says quietly before continuing down the stairs.

Drake nods. “You’re right. He is my dad. I’m not surprised it took him that long. When I was speaking to the officers there, they were saying there were a lot of conflicting reports about what happened.” He looks up at Stella and her dragon. “You got this.”

Jaal lets out a low rumble as John approaches, though it doesn’t seem threatening. “You may,” he says.

Stella presses her forehead against Jaal’s scales before she turns to face the magician. Her expression is pinched, eyes watery.

22. - Top - End - #172

OldWizardGuy

John
    Ryker’s steps pause. “Thanks John,” he says quietly before continuing down the stairs.

Drake nods. “You’re right. He is my dad. I’m not surprised it took him that long. When I was speaking to the officers there, they were saying there were a lot of conflicting reports about what happened.” He looks up at Stella and her dragon. “You got this.”

Jaal lets out a low rumble as John approaches, though it doesn’t seem threatening. “You may,” he says.

Stella presses her forehead against Jaal’s scales before she turns to face the magician. Her expression is pinched, eyes watery.
    John approached Stella, unsure if he should hug her or not. For some, such a move would provide comfort — the reassurance that someone felt and cared. For others, however, it was an invasive move, intruding on their vulnerability and grief.

He stood before her, leaving himself open and trying to follow her lead and note any signals from Java. “I am going to ask you to do something very difficult and very unfair, Stella. I am going to ask you to trust me at a time you may want nothing more than the straight answers I know you want to be provided.

“I have a sense that Raphael is out there — that he is not gone. But I may have to walk some paths and go some places where you cannot come before he returns to us.

John looked into her eyes. On the verge of tears, they seemed larger, but so fragile right now. “I have already been to one and laid some groundwork for what will come to pass.

“I’m sorry to sound like a character out of some gothic melodrama,” he said, “And I know making this kind of pronouncement may be an occupational hazard for practitioners like you and I and that is doubtless making listening to this all the harder for you. But there are secrets that are not mine to reveal to you that matter in this,” he explained. “They will doubtless become clearer to you in time. And when they do, I hope you can forgive me for not telling you them now for as difficult as they are, they would offer you greater certainty.”

John looked down. “It is unfair to ask you to wait and to trust in nothing other than my assurances when I have nothing tangible to offer.” He looked back up and met her eyes. “But he will come back.”

“Even so,” John added, “the hardest part may not be the waiting. His experience will doubtless have traumatized him and it may take time for him to recover. It may be more difficult to help him in his healing than it will be to wait for that to come.

“As difficult as it is, don’t despair. Your friends are here in the base and we will do what we can to help you while we wait for Raphael to come back. All you have to do is ask.

“So: What would you ask of us and what would you ask of me?”

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Stella listens to John, gaze on her shoes. “I…” She takes a breath, getting her emotions under control. “Please John. I need to know. What do you know about him that I don’t? How can you be so sure that he’s not… dead?”

Jaal watches John impassively, choosing to stay silent and let John decide what he reveals.

24. - Top - End - #174

OldWizardGuy

John
    Stella listens to John, gaze on her shoes. “I…” She takes a breath, getting her emotions under control. “Please John. I need to know. What do you know about him that I don’t? How can you be so sure that he’s not… dead?”

Jaal watches John impassively, choosing to stay silent and let John decide what he reveals.
    John looks around him: at the noonday light on the river, which sparked in a manner incongruous to the conversation he was having; at the nearby rooflines that shelter their roof from onlookers; at the space around him. He felt his mind begin to slip toward the question of where to put the new furniture he planned to order within the hour in a desultory manner, imagining planting boxes and a cafe table with some accent lighting. Perhaps with some evergreens in pots to act as a screen and a line of lower bushes to define an outdoor space.

He recognized the thoughts for what they were — a defense mechanism. Like it or not, he had foreseen this conversation coming. At first, he thought it might be for her safety — to protect her from the threat of a vampiric transformation.

This, however, was worse than that — far worse. Her image of Raphael had been many things, including among them a savior and a partner and, perhaps, a lover. Now, he held that image in his hand and if he said the wrong thing or shaded the right thing wrong, he would destroy it.

John knew that it was too late to avoid it being impacted. The events of the day and his impromptu speech had already influenced things.

John also knew that however emotional she was right now, Stella wasn’t stupid. But everyone had within them the capacity to lie to themselves about themselves and those they loved.

He glanced at Jaal and asked the question he knew he didn’t need to ask. “No matter what happens, you will take care of her?”

“One question for you first, Stella:” John asked gently. “Are you asking me for information you don’t already have or are you asking me to confirm what you already know?”

Spoiler: If it helps….
    Show
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-04-28 at 09:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Jaal growls, reverberating the air in John’s lungs. “A stupid question, human.”

Stella looks hard at John, tears threatening to spill over. “I don’t know much about Raphael, but I do know that he has a lot to his past. It’s my fault, but I told him that I could wait to learn about him. I wanted to let him tell me things at his own pace.”

“I wish I hadn’t,” she whispers in a strained voice, closing her eyes briefly. “If I knew more about him, maybe he would still be here. I could’ve helped him, when he needed me.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 10:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

OldWizardGuy

John
    Jaal growls, reverberating the air in John’s lungs. “A stupid question, human.”
    Humans ask questions for many reasons, Jaal, John projected. Sometimes it is for information. Sometimes, it’s so others can hear the answer. Right now, knowing that she has friends she can count on to support her matters and her most significant connection to this place has just disappeared. Yes, Sidney is here but she has her own problems. She has some trust in me but I am too new an addition to her life to be a known quantity. Your presence is an anchor for her amidst this storm in a way I cannot be. That’s why I asked aloud instead of this way.

Stella looks hard at John, tears threatening to spill over. “I don’t know much about Raphael, but I do know that he has a lot to his past. It’s my fault, but I told him that I could wait to learn about him. I wanted to let him tell me things at his own pace.”

“I wish I hadn’t,” she whispers in a strained voice, closing her eyes briefly. “If I knew more about him, maybe he would still be here. I could’ve helped him, when he needed me.”
    “No, Stella.,” John said firmly. “A professional, planned hit like that isn’t something we could have prepared for. And from what I saw there, it may have happened too fast for him to have called for help. I couldn’t have gotten there fast enough. Neither could you have.

“You will still have the time for him to tell you at his own pace, Stella, if — and only if — I do not answer your question.

“You have asked me for the most difficult of things: The truth. But the truth is often hard because it conflicts with other things — like your desire to let Raphael tell you his own story in his own manner in his own time.

“He can offer you that — but only if I do not tell you why I know he will return here, to this base, sometime soon — although I cannot tell you if that short time will be measured in hours or in days. That is not yet clear to me.

“I swear to you, Stella, that Raphael is no more dead now than when you saw him earlier today.

“I would also point this out to reassure you. Seraph sent us back to base. He didn’t deploy us on a search and rescue mission, dividing the area around the market into zones and having us search each for any obvious getaway vehicles. That speaks to the likelihood of his knowing that Raphael will return here rather than be found somewhere out there,” John said, gesturing vaguely over the other rooftops — uncertain in which direction the Market lay.

“So what do you want me to do, Stella: Do you want me to tell you Raphael’s truth or do you want to wait and have Raphael tell you his truth?

Spoiler: Mask? What Mask?
    Show
    John attempts to Pierce Stella’s Mask, rolling: Pierce the Mask: What do you want me to do, Stella?: 2d6-1 5

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Coils of black smoke emerge from Jaal’s nostrils, but he says nothing back to the magician.

“John,” Stella says, looking up at him. “You’re asking something of me that isn’t fair.” She returns her gaze to the ground, crossing her arms over her midsection tightly.

“I can’t wait. I have to know. Why did he tell you whatever his secret is, and not tell me? How do you and Seraph know he’ll be back?” As she speaks, the tears that she’d been holding back spill over onto her cheeks. “I c-can’t stay in the dark anymore. I don’t think I can bear it.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-28 at 11:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178

NinjaGuy

Louis sees a few people behind him waiting in line. Isabelle exhales a little and smiles at Louis’ boldness. “Tell you what, you sit here at the bar and I’ll come talk to you once the line goes down.” She rings up his order and hands him the receipt. “This one’s on me.”
    Louis arches an eyebrow in surprise. "I appreciate it. And take your time, I don't plan on going anywhere... yet." A playful smile dancing on his lips.

Once Louis takes a seat it’s a few minutes later when the other girl working behind the bar drops off Louis’ coffee. Her name tag says ‘Quinn’, and she quickly ducks under the counter to grab the fresh tart from the case. She cuts a piece out from it and sets it on a small serving plate with a fork, then putting it in front of Louis. “Let me or Izzy know if you need anything else,” she says before she heads back to work.
    "Thanks, I'm sure I'll think of something." He offers before digging into the first piece of tart.

About five minutes later, the line has died down and those waiting for to-go orders have gotten their coffee and left. Isabelle comes over and stands in front of Louis’ seat. “Introductions, huh? I’m Izzy Castillo, barista by day and jazz musician by night. What’s your name, delivery boy?” she asks, leaning forward against the counter, propping herself up on her elbows.
    Louis points at himself with his fork as he works through a piece of tart then washes it with a sip of coffee.

"Louis, Louis LeBlanc. College student by day and professional delivery boy by... day? Nothing too special." He finishes with a grin and exaggerated shrug. "Jazz musician huh? So that means you're in a band right?"

29. - Top - End - #179

AssassinGuy

Crowe flies through the noon sky recounting the events of today. He had made some amends with Calvin, but still had a ways to go. Now he just needed to come clean to Stella about him telling Emi about her.

Keith you did it all in good faith and trying to keep both Emi and Stella safe from, whatever it was that lashed out at her and John yesterday. You did go overboard but heart was in the right place. He just sighed as he stayed on route back to base. It really wasn't helping that John wanted to ask him about East Side.

Come to think of it, what could he even tell Kylie as an update? When would even be too soon to contact her either since she does want time? No Keith, don't just fall off the face of the Earth. First, and most importantly, you are her friend. If anything I at least have that goin' for me. He shrugged and smiled a bit at the thought. It could have been way worse. She could have just told him to go away and vanish right then and there.

He came to a stop on the rooftop near West Side and turned his gaze East. "This will be fun explaining to Yuki, but she'll probably have some good advice. Not lookin' forward to this next interrogation." Keith sighs and then has an odd thought. If John can read minds and he already has a habit of jumping the gun on a plan, did he go ahead and say something to Emi? Wonder if I can make my own little translator like the Empire uses? Would be handy for the next time they start in that...... whatever language it was. Hopefully his luck would change before nightfall.

He finished his flight back to West Side and hopped in from the skylight, suit melting back into his shadow by the time he landed.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    “That’s right,” Izzy says, returning Louis’ smile. “You’re listening to my band right now. I have a set coming up tonight at The Machine Shop in West Side. 7pm, if you’re interested.”

“Which college do you go to? I don’t think I’ve seen you around Briarwood, but I guess I don’t spend a ton of time on campus.”