New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC II

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    John
    Coils of black smoke emerge from Jaal’s nostrils, but he says nothing back to the magician.

“John,” Stella says, looking up at him. “You’re asking something of me that isn’t fair.” She returns her gaze to the ground, crossing her arms over her midsection tightly.

“I can’t wait. I have to know. Why did he tell you whatever his secret is, and not tell me? How do you and Seraph know he’ll be back?” As she speaks, the tears that she’d been holding back spill over onto her cheeks. “I c-can’t stay in the dark anymore. I don’t think I can bear it.”
    “I warned you at the start that I was going to be unfair.

“He didn’t tell me,” John Said quietly. “I discovered it on my own. All he ever told me is that I should stay away from his packets and that he needed them because of something the Darkwatch caused. And because of what they caused, they hunted him, believing he was a monster.

“Like you, I wanted to give Raphael some time — especially because of you. The revelation wasn’t an easy one for him to make, if he was having to build up to making it.

“Until a short time ago, I wasn’t even certain if anyone else knew. I suspected Seraph did, of course. But I have no way of knowing how much Drake knew,” John said, motioning back toward the team lead.

John chuckled and looked down. “Funny thing, that. In bringing you here, Raphael entrusted many of our secrets to you. But he cares for you so much that he is afraid that if you learn his secret you might reject him, leaving him with a magnified pain and the memories of you.”

“Forgive me if I have lost count, Stella,” John said looking at her. “It has been an interesting day, to say the least and I have spent more of it in different states of being than is normal. But you know the importance of threes to practitioners like us — both for those who ask and those who answer.

“I will ask you a third time: Are you sure you want me to tell you? And know that, when I answer, I will not have the whole story and knowing incomplete stories require you to hold judgement in abeyance until you learn the rest.”

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “Merde,” Stella whispers, squeezing her eyes shut. She lets out a shuddering breath and takes another. “Yes John, tell me. I need to know.”

As John looks over his shoulder to check on Drake, he sees that the hero has put in a pair of earphones and his foot is tapping to the loud music he’s listening to, though he’s watching the two of them carefully. The magician figures he’s mostly still there just to make sure Stella doesn’t decide to jump off the roof or take off into the city in an emotionally compromised state.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Yuki asks before she looks at Will. “Do you need a lift back to base? I’m happy to take you.”
    William solemnly nods not being able to bring himself to words. Raph was gone. How did these people find him? What were they even doing and why were they here? Where were they now? William’s thoughts raced through these questions.
    Zodiac shifts into her cockatrice form and lets Will get on her back before she takes off back to base.
    Will’s hands clench as they fly. Turmoil roiled around inside him. The feeling of hopelessness and uselessness resurfaced. The inability to do anything in the face of opposition. No tracks, no stragglers, nothing. His head felt foggy, thoughts coming in half statements that rolled together in incoherent patterns. Will’s hand comes up sharply and slaps the side of his face. The jolt of pain runs through him like a bullet cutting through the fog. He needed to focus. They still had an important mission tonight. For now finding Raphael was a dead end. Poor choice of thoughts. William takes a deep breath and puts on a smile. “So. Yuuki was it? I’m guessing you’re feeling better. Do you think you’ll be ready for a big mission tonight?”

4. - Top - End - #184

NinjaGuy

“That’s right,” Izzy says, returning Louis’ smile. “You’re listening to my band right now. I have a set coming up tonight at The Machine Shop in West Side. 7pm, if you’re interested.”
    "Really?" Louis asks, his curiosity visibly rising with every new detail he learns about the barista. He listens intently to the music for few moments hanging onto every note he hears and the voice that blends them all together. "So you make great coffee and amazing music? Which instrument do play by the way? Also... you wouldn't happen to be the one singing would you?"

“Which college do you go to? I don’t think I’ve seen you around Briarwood, but I guess I don’t spend a ton of time on campus.”
    "I could say the same. I probably spend more time riding around the city then I do in my classes lately." Memories of this weeks events flash through Louis' mind but he shakes the thoughts away and takes another sip of his drink for good measure. "I'm a physics undergrad at Briarwood but I've been thinking about picking up mechanical engineering as a second major recently. What about you? Music theory maybe?" He teases.

5. - Top - End - #185

OldWizardGuy

John
    “Merde,” Stella whispers, squeezing her eyes shut. She lets out a shuddering breath and takes another. “Yes John, tell me. I need to know.”

As John looks over his shoulder to check on Drake, he sees that the hero has put in a pair of earphones and his foot is tapping to the loud music he’s listening to, though he’s watching the two of them carefully. The magician figures he’s mostly still there just to make sure Stella doesn’t decide to jump off the roof or take off into the city in an emotionally compromised state.
    John nods and reaches out his hand. “Very well, Stella. Come with me.”

John flashed back to years ago, when he was an adolescent and his sister was still a child, upset and hurt. “Come with me, Kate,” he had said. “I’ll find a way to make it better.”

He didn’t think paying for an ice cream cone with his allowance would be enough this time. Nor did he expect to find himself sitting on a park bench, listening to the waves roll over the boulders of the shoreline, watching his charge slowly grow happier as she enjoyed the ice cream.

He hoped Kate was well. He missed her.

He wondered how he would be able to tell her about Emi. She always teased him when he would have a new girl or woman he was interested in. She, however, was unlikely to lose interest when he mentioned that he had taken her to tea.

He glanced up at Jaal, refocusing on the here and now. “Unless you can shrink enough to pass through the doorway, you cannot come. We are going to the basement where I have things to show her.

The evidence of things you already know. I don’t know if you want to be there for that or not. Her feelings are going to be complicated if she learns you know he is a vampire and you have not let her in on the secret today. Somewhat selfishly, I have no intention of dragging you into this. Heaven knows it’s going to be complicated enough when I show her and talk her through this. I will leave it to you to decide how you wish to approach this.

“Whatever you learn today, Estelle Bordeaux, remember this: I will keep my promises to you and be here to help in any way I can.”

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Will
    “Yes, my name is Yuki,” she answers into Will’s head. “I am feeling much better. Harbinger healed me when I got back to base yesterday, I just needed to sleep off the medication the paramedics gave me. What’s the mission? In the meeting this morning, we were just told that you and Keith were doing some reconnaissance.”

Louis
    “Performing Arts, actually,” the barista answers, leaning her head on her hand. “I play piano, and sing. You like what you hear?”

“Oooh, one of those ridiculously smart science people, huh? I could never get through those classes. Calculus was enough for me,” she says with a rueful grin.

John
    Stella snaps her fingers and Jaal fades into black smoke that drifts into her hat, before she tentatively reaches out and takes John’s hand. “I know you will John.”

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

“Yes, my name is Yuki,” she answers into Will’s head. “I am feeling much better. Harbinger healed me when I got back to base yesterday, I just needed to sleep off the medication the paramedics gave me. What’s the mission? In the meeting this morning, we were just told that you and Keith were doing some reconnaissance.”
    "It's uhh, an intel-gathering mission on Nova." Will says a little sluggishly "Keith and I looked into the kid who got superpowers from Nova. It turns out that at one of the parties that happened recently this drug was present and used. Tonight at 11 there's going to be a rave in the Bywater district. Rumor has it that these Dragonov brothers will be attending. Hopefully, if we can find where they are getting their supply we can maybe find where these demons are coming from." William looks down at Yuki. "I was hoping we could have everyone on this mission in case things go belly up. Would you be able to help corral and help civilians escape if need be?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Will
    Wind buffets him as Yuki flaps again to gain a little altitude and she slightly shifts her direction to use the air currents better. “I actually have a new form that could work well, though it won’t be the most… comforting thing for civilians to see.” She pauses. “A rave is a party? Sorry, there are some words that I’m not familiar with in English.”

Keith
    Ryker and Sidney emerge from the lounge into the living room.

“You seen Stella?” Ryker asks Keith. “I got Sid caught up on what happened to Raph. What we know at least.”

Sidney nods, grabbing ahold of Ryker’s wrist. “It’s terrible. I can’t imagine losing someone like that.”

9. - Top - End - #189

OldWizardGuy

John
    Stella snaps her fingers and Jaal fades into black smoke that drifts into her hat, before she tentatively reaches out and takes John’s hand. “I know you will John.”
    “I wonder if he likes anyone but you,” John half observed, half asked Stella as he watched her place her hat back on her head.

John slaps Drake on the shoulder reassuringly as he leads Stella past him and down the stairs to the basement. “Mimi,” he says as he closes the door to the space. “Please lock the door to the basement and, with the exception of Seraph and Harbinger, don’t let anyone in without my authorization.”

He walked Stella to the center of the room. “A couple ground riles, for all three of our safety: Look, but do not touch. While I have been researching your curse, I still don’t know enough about it to know how it will interact with things today. Second, you are still in AEGIS custody, so I will ask you to restrict yourself to the base — even if you feel the need to go off somewhere and think. Third, I would ask you to remember something Sister Helen Prejan asks when speaking about her opposition to the death penalty: Would you like to be solely judged on the single worst thing you have ever done?

Accepting her assent, the Enochian Tablets appeared once more beneath his hands and he scribed out the spell.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Spellcasting: 1d10o10 9
    Matter Control (6)

To the right of the stack of boxes, barrels, and other detritus, the wall irised out, allowing a view of Raphael’s coffin.

“The Darkwatch is not hunting Raphael without reason, Stella. He may not be a standard vampire, but he is a vampire.

“The Darkwatch slaughtered his family and drove him from his home at some point in the past. I do not know how he came to be here, but Seraph accepts him — which is all I need to know.

“If he had been truly destroyed earlier today, we would have found scarring on the pavement where they drove a stake through him. None of the reports we received spoke of that. His attached harmed him enough to force him into a mist. In time, that mist will return here, enter the coffin, and coalesce.”

At his command, the wall irised closed.

“I left a note for him to call me as soon as he gets in so that I can provide whatever immediate help he needs.”

John reached for Stella’s hand and gave it a supportive squeeze before turning to face her. “That’s why you can be certain that he will come back to you.”

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Wind buffets him as Yuki flaps again to gain a little altitude and she slightly shifts her direction to use the air currents better. “I actually have a new form that could work well, though it won’t be the most… comforting thing for civilians to see.” She pauses. “A rave is a party? Sorry, there are some words that I’m not familiar with in English.”
    Will can't help but laugh "That's what I'm told. The word is new to me as well."

"What forms do you have? I apologize, I don't know much about your powers except that you can morph into different creatures."

11. - Top - End - #191

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Ryker and Sidney emerge from the lounge into the living room.

“You seen Stella?” Ryker asks Keith. “I got Sid caught up on what happened to Raph. What we know at least.”

Sidney nods, grabbing ahold of Ryker’s wrist. “It’s terrible. I can’t imagine losing someone like that.”
    Keith looks over at Ryker and Sid when they enter just as he finished having his suit melt back into the shadow. He chuckles a bit. "Ryker, I gotta say that you love to read my mind man. Was about to ask you the same." He thinks for a moment before looking back over at Sid and Ryker. "It's....." He starts to think of choosing his next words carefully. "It's not something I would wish anyone to go through."

He couldn't think straight at the moment, everything was still rather foggy from his tormentor and then just the pressure of his own feelings. "Oh right, I still need to talk to them about helpin' Sid." He lets out a sigh. "If a bus happens to fly towards me later today just, I guess donate my body to science." That's about how everything seems to be going anyway.

"Speakin' of how are you holdin' up Sid? I'm sorry things got really hectic on what started as a decent day."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “Oh mon Dieu,” Stella breaths as she looks upon Raphael’s coffins. Her knees threaten to give out underneath her, but she manages to stay standing. If she could face a greater demon and stay in her feet, she wasn’t going to let this be her undoing. “It makes so much sense. How could I not see it?” she says, not really asking John.

“He turns in bats and mist, does blood magic, regenerates…”

She looks at John, eyebrows drawn. “‘No more dead than he was this morning’. I guess you’re right. If he’s a vampire, he is… dead. But his hands were always warm. I heard his heartbeat. Was that all an illusion?”

Will
    “My powers are to turn into versions of the animals in the Japanese zodiac,” she answers. “I can currently turn into the rooster, the dog and the tiger, which you’ve seen, and the boar. After yesterday, I’ve gained access to the snake. But as I’ve said, an snakes as long as a semi truck is probably not what people want to see when they’re panicking.”

The roof of West Side base comes into view, and Yuki lands not too far from Drake, letting Will get off before she shifts back into her human form.

Keith
    “You plannin’ on dyin’ later?” Ryker asks, looking at Keith sideways. “It would hurt, but I can probably survive getting hit by a truck, if you need me to kick someone’s ***.”

Sidney considers Keith’s question for a moment. “Honestly, I’m doing well, other than what just happened to Stell. My mind is clear. Ryker’s here with me,” she says, glancing over at her boyfriend. “I’m better than I’ve been in a year and a half.”

13. - Top - End - #193

OldWizardGuy

John
    “Oh mon Dieu,” Stella breaths as she looks upon Raphael’s coffins. Her knees threaten to give out underneath her, but she manages to stay standing. If she could face a greater demon and stay in her feet, she wasn’t going to let this be her undoing. “It makes so much sense. How could I not see it?” she says, not really asking John.

“He turns in bats and mist, does blood magic, regenerates…”

She looks at John, eyebrows drawn. “‘No more dead than he was this morning’. I guess you’re right. If he’s a vampire, he is… dead. But his hands were always warm. I heard his heartbeat. Was that all an illusion?”
    “Why would you have noticed, Stella? I mean, have you seen the rest of your housemates here? A human using powers like his is what passes for normal around here. I only came in suspicious because the Occult Division of AEGIS: City of London had theories about him and Keith.

“As to his warmth, no,” John says thoughtfully, “I don’t think it was an illusion. There is something non-standard about him. With everything that we have been facing, researching his status fell down my priority list. I suspect that everything you experienced with him was exactly as it seemed.”

He offered a lopsided smile. “Except for him being undead the whole time, of course.

John looked at her carefully. “You okay? I feel like I just put you in the middle of the world’s worst good news-bad news joke.”

14. - Top - End - #194

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “You plannin’ on dyin’ later?” Ryker asks, looking at Keith sideways. “It would hurt, but I can probably survive getting hit by a truck, if you need me to kick someone’s ***.”

Sidney considers Keith’s question for a moment. “Honestly, I’m doing well, other than what just happened to Stell. My mind is clear. Ryker’s here with me,” she says, glancing over at her boyfriend. “I’m better than I’ve been in a year and a half.”
    At Ryker's question, Keith just chuckles a bit. "Not plannin' on it, I still gotta hunt down a couple deadbeats and now this Darkwatch." He shakes his head and smiles a bit. "Nah the person I mentioned this mornin' that might be able to help some, her brother is kind of a j******. Won't stop me from askin' her a favor though, and I already owe her lunch again." Keith thinks back to this afternoon's semi-lunch and has a realization. "This is goin' to get complicated fast."

At Sidney's response, Keith smiles and nods. "Glad to hear, and we're gonna get those ******s that did this. Might take a bit of huntin', but they will fall." He almost noticed his voice change a bit, as though it wasn't him speaking. "Got a good guy there, and you two need anything just shout."

He started wondering what all John had wanted to discuss and figured it would be best to get that part over with. "Y'all seen John anywhere? He asked somethin' weird earlier and it's kinda buggin' me."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “It’s just… so obvious, looking back,” Stella says. She looks back at the wall where Raphael’s coffin lays beyond. “I think I’m okay. What he is doesn’t change what I’ve experienced with him. He’s kind and cares for me, and that’s what matters,” she says firmly. “I actually feel better, knowing that he’s something beyond human and that both you and Seraph think he’ll come back here.”

The sorceress looks back at John. “Thank you, for sharing this with me. I was struggling to think straight earlier.”

Keith
    Ryker shrugs. “Last I saw, both of them were in the roof.”

16. - Top - End - #196

OldWizardGuy

John
    “It’s just… so obvious, looking back,” Stella says. She looks back at the wall where Raphael’s coffin lays beyond. “I think I’m okay. What he is doesn’t change what I’ve experienced with him. He’s kind and cares for me, and that’s what matters,” she says firmly. “I actually feel better, knowing that he’s something beyond human and that both you and Seraph think he’ll come back here.”

The sorceress looks back at John. “Thank you, for sharing this with me. I was struggling to think straight earlier.”
    “There’s been a bit of that going around lately,” John admitted ruefully. “Things have been coming at us pretty fast. But you’re welcome, Stella.”

“I suspect we should keep the details of why we expect his return somewhat vague,” John continued. “Unless Seraph chooses to brief everyone in this afternoon’s meeting, we can tell everyone that we are trying to divine the information we need to get an exact location of where he has gone to ground but we have sensed that he is as well as can be hoped.

“Oh, and something else that might cheer you:” John added, trying not to let his smile take over too much of his face. “We have secured some assistance to help Sidney.”

17. - Top - End - #197

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Ryker shrugs. “Last I saw, both of them were in the roof.”
    Keith nods. "The game is afoot then." Keith looks up at the speakers for Mimi. "Hey Mimi, do you know where John and Stella are?" He didn't know what him or the team would do without Mimi. "Also, is there anything that you would like Mimi? Want to get you a thank you for everythin'."

After Mimi responds, Keith turns back to Ryker and Sid. "Dependin' on an answer I get anywhere between, now and in a few days, any advice on a first date? Asked her out today and she said she'd let me know after thinkin' about it."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

“My powers are to turn into versions of the animals in the Japanese zodiac,” she answers. “I can currently turn into the rooster, the dog and the tiger, which you’ve seen, and the boar. After yesterday, I’ve gained access to the snake. But as I’ve said, an snakes as long as a semi truck is probably not what people want to see when they’re panicking.”

The roof of West Side base comes into view, and Yuki lands not too far from Drake, letting Will get off before she shifts back into her human form.
    "Thank you for the assistance, Yuki. I'll see you both at the meeting." William gives a nod to Drake as he passes by "Sir." William makes his way down to the common room waiting for Seraph to return.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Stella nods. “Yes, I think that would be best. I’m sure Raphael wouldn’t be happy to return and find out that everyone here knows his secret.”

Her face brightens considerably as John tells her the news about Sidney. “You did? That’s wonderful! Who is it?”

Keith
    “John and Stella are in front of John’s workshop,” Mimi answers. “They will return momentarily.” She thinks for a moment. “I do not require material things, Keith. There is nothing that you can ‘get me’. Though I do appreciate the thought.”

Sidney and Ryker share a look. “We’re not the people you should ask about first dates,” Sidney says with a little bit of a laugh.

“I got shot by some Crowns and Sid patched me up, and we had coffee later at her dad’s cafe,” Ryker explains. “I don’t think that would work out well for you.”

20. - Top - End - #200

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “John and Stella are in front of John’s workshop,” Mimi answers. “They will return momentarily.” She thinks for a moment. “I do not require material things, Keith. There is nothing that you can ‘get me’. Though I do appreciate the thought.”

Sidney and Ryker share a look. “We’re not the people you should ask about first dates,” Sidney says with a little bit of a laugh.

“I got shot by some Crowns and Sid patched me up, and we had coffee later at her dad’s cafe,” Ryker explains. “I don’t think that would work out well for you.”
    Keith shrugs. "Guess I'll just wait for them here then. Thank you Mimi!" He smiles up at the camera. "If there's anythin' we can ever do for ya for entertainment then, just say the word!"

He chuckles a bit and has a lopsided grin. "Yeah that, probably wouldn't go too well with her. Interestin', yes though." Keith shakes his head still laughing a bit. "Coffee and a cafe isn't a bad idea though, and do know one of her favorite places. Thanks, y'all!" He stops his chuckling and looks between the two of them. "Well, if it ends up happenin', y'all will be the first to know."

21. - Top - End - #201

OldWizardGuy

John
    Stella nods. “Yes, I think that would be best. I’m sure Raphael wouldn’t be happy to return and find out that everyone here knows his secret.”

Her face brightens considerably as John tells her the news about Sidney. “You did? That’s wonderful! Who is it?”
    John feels his smile shift to something more foolish for a moment before he gets it under control.

The blush he felt spreading across his cheeks, however, was something he could not stop.

“Siren, the telepath and telekinetic from Kieth’s old team,” John manages to say in as offhand manner as possible. “You may have noticed her astride the white dragon at the market.”

He almost mentioned that she would be arriving tomorrow when he realized that was when they had set their date but they had neglected to determine when she would help with Sidney.

Perhaps he should write out an agenda for tomorrow and make sure that he didn’t miss anything else important.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Stella notices John’s blush and smiles. “She was very pretty. If your interested, John, maybe you should try asking her out, after she comes to help Sidney. Maybe Keith would be willing to tell you what she likes so you have a little bit of a leg up.”

“You’re a wonderful guy, John. She’d be lucky to have you,” Stella says. “Shall we get back to the others? I was supposed to help Sidney and Aeryn bake a cake for Drake.”

She starts to climbs the stairs back up the living room.

Keith and Will
    Aeryn floats down through the skylight, joining Ryker, Sidney, Keith, and Will in the living room, closely followed by Seraph. The older hero sighs as he folds his wings. “Mimi, let everyone know I’m pushing the meeting back to 5pm. I’m headed back to bed, unless anyone needs me.”

Team
    Mimi comes over comms, repeating Seraph’s words with a few additions. “The meeting has been pushed back to 5pm. Please arrive in a timely manner. We will have a guest present.”

23. - Top - End - #203

OldWizardGuy

John
    Stella notices John’s blush and smiles. “She was very pretty. If your interested, John, maybe you should try asking her out, after she comes to help Sidney. Maybe Keith would be willing to tell you what she likes so you have a little bit of a leg up.”

“You’re a wonderful guy, John. She’d be lucky to have you,” Stella says. “Shall we get back to the others? I was supposed to help Sidney and Aeryn bake a cake for Drake.”

She starts to climbs the stairs back up the living room.
    “Thanks, Stella,” John said quietly as he followed her up the stairs. “I’m honored that you think so. I was planing to talk to Keith. If I’m going to pull off high tea for her tomorrow, any information he can provide will be of use.”

He was about to say something else when Mimi reported the meeting had been pushed back. “Good news, in its own way. That should give me the time I need run out and get some things for the roof. I’ll be cutting things tight as it is.”

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Living Room
    Stella and John emerge in the living room. Sidney immediately comes over and hugs Stella tightly, which the sorceress returns.

“I’m okay, Sidney,” Stella says, pulling back. “Mostly, at least.”

“You know I’m here for you,” her friend replies. “Always.”

Stella smiles at her and hugs her friend again. “I know.”

“Now, where were we on that cake?” Sidney asks. “Aeryn, you good to keep baking?”

The alien looks between the two women and shrugs. “Sure, I guess. We have a little more time now.”

The three of them make their way to the kitchen.

25. - Top - End - #205

OldWizardGuy

Living Room
    Stella and John emerge in the living room. Sidney immediately comes over and hugs Stella tightly, which the sorceress returns.

“I’m okay, Sidney,” Stella says, pulling back. “Mostly, at least.”

“You know I’m here for you,” her friend replies. “Always.”

Stella smiles at her and hugs her friend again. “I know.”

“Now, where were we on that cake?” Sidney asks. “Aeryn, you good to keep baking?”

The alien looks between the two women and shrugs. “Sure, I guess. We have a little more time now.”

The three of them make their way to the kitchen.
    John watched the three make their way to the kitchen as he drew his iPad Mini out of his cloak. He hadn’t considered the possibility of competition for the oven when he was thinking through his plans of what he would make. Nevertheless, it was good to see Stella stable and recovered for now. That would likely come and go while they waited for Raphael’s return but, for now, she was not slipping into despair.

The good news, he thought as he opened Safari, was that many of the dainties he might lay out could be made without the oven — cucumber sandwiches, for example. He would need to keep that in mind when making his shopping list.

“Hey, Keith: Have you got a second?” John asked as he opened up the website for Lowes and began scrolling through the garden furniture. “I had a few questions about your former team — ” He felt himself pause a little too long. “Emi in particular.”

26. - Top - End - #206

AssassinGuy

Keith nods as Seraph walks by. "Rest well, I'll see ya just before to talk about the friend that might help."

When Keith sees Stella and John come back up, he decides that Stella may need a bit to process things still and figures alienating his own guilt can wait a bit. He turns to John.

"Just the guy I was lookin' for." He listens to John ask him about Emi and immediately returns to a neutral face for a moment. Well then, guess he can't read minds.

Keith shakes his head to get clear his mind. "What would you like to know? I actually still need to talk to her about Sidney later. Just tried to keep it under wraps until Seraph had the meeting he wanted this morning." He started wondering if he should send the others a text to see how they were holding up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to tell them all he had fun today. At least while it lasted.

27. - Top - End - #207

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    When Keith sees Stella and John come back up, he decides that Stella may need a bit to process things still and figures alienating his own guilt can wait a bit. He turns to John.

"Just the guy I was lookin' for." He listens to John ask him about Emi and immediately returns to a neutral face for a moment. Well then, guess he can't read minds.

Keith shakes his head to get clear his mind. "What would you like to know? I actually still need to talk to her about Sidney later. Just tried to keep it under wraps until Seraph had the meeting he wanted this morning." He started wondering if he should send the others a text to see how they were holding up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to tell them all he had fun today. At least while it lasted.
    Something seemed to be bothering Keith. Given what had happened today, that was to be expected. He should probably begin with a reassurance. “Before anything else,” he offered, “you all may have noticed that Stella is doing better. We put our heads together downstairs and did some reaching out. We have a sense that Raphael is out there somewhere and has not been captured. Why and where he has gone to ground isn’t clear but there is more than a little to be hopeful about. I’ll try to collect my impressions and have something more coherent to say by the time of the meeting. But, for now, she — and we — have hope.

“About Sidney,” John said, turning towards Keith, “I need to fill you in on that part since Seraph and I went over that in Angelical.” He glanced over at Ryker. “Part of my discussion with Seraph at the Market was getting clearance to request her assistance. She has agreed to help — although the timeline for actually doing that hasn’t been finalized.” Conscious of Sidney’s proximity, he lowered his voice for a moment. “In between her being your friend and wanting to help those who have been used by Vibrato, it wasn’t difficult to persuade her to assist. I’ll try to get that timeline hammered out with her tomorrow.

John looked down for a moment, painfully conscious of the non-sequitur he was about to speak.

“Do you know what kind of tea and snacks she prefers? You know — does she favor sweet or salty snacks, tat kind of thing?”

28. - Top - End - #208

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    Something seemed to be bothering Keith. Given what had happened today, that was to be expected. He should probably begin with a reassurance. “Before anything else,” he offered, “you all may have noticed that Stella is doing better. We put our heads together downstairs and did some reaching out. We have a sense that Raphael is out there somewhere and has not been captured. Why and where he has gone to ground isn’t clear but there is more than a little to be hopeful about. I’ll try to collect my impressions and have something more coherent to say by the time of the meeting. But, for now, she — and we — have hope.

“About Sidney,” John said, turning towards Keith, “I need to fill you in on that part since Seraph and I went over that in Angelical.” He glanced over at Ryker. “Part of my discussion with Seraph at the Market was getting clearance to request her assistance. She has agreed to help — although the timeline for actually doing that hasn’t been finalized.” Conscious of Sidney’s proximity, he lowered his voice for a moment. “In between her being your friend and wanting to help those who have been used by Vibrato, it wasn’t difficult to persuade her to assist. I’ll try to get that timeline hammered out with her tomorrow.

John looked down for a moment, painfully conscious of the non-sequitur he was about to speak.

“Do you know what kind of tea and snacks she prefers? You know — does she favor sweet or salty snacks, tat kind of thing?”
    Keith looks up from his stupor of guilt at John when he explains that he and Stella sense Raph hasn't been captured. "Ah, well then. Wonder if that means my thought was right? At least we know then he's not been taken."

Keith raised an eyebrow and sighed when John explained most of it to him about his talk with Emi. "Guess that saves me a short meeting then. Though would have been nice to know on the way. Saves the awkwardness of having to tell her about Sid too." Keith thought for a second and his face about deadpanned. "That might make a few things difficult. She's generally good at keepin' things under wraps, like this, but I may be hearin' about it later." His face read of anxiety at having to explain this to Kylie.

At John's whisper, Keith nodded. "I'll help with what I can, but we got a lot of plannin' for tonight's mission too. I'd say probably the sooner the better. Never know how things can turn out and that's going to be rough either way. There do be dragons involved in this situation and history." He sighed. "Hopefully if she does tell them she does tell them why I had to keep it to a half truth this morning."

Keith tilts his head at John's question about Emi's snack and tea preferences. "John, that is one hell if a non-sequitur. Wait.... oh crap did you? **** I better tell Grayson he missed his shot." Keith slaps his forehead. He thought John was a mind reader as well so he was purposely vague. "Guess that answers that. Well, there be dragons and possibly flying busses in our futures then John." Keith takes a deep breath. "Then again, guess the other worse thing is we get burned at the stake. I'm weighin' my options on those."

"Alrighty then. She does have a preference for sweet. As for tea, I'm not entirely certain. I know she does like some of the expensive stuff, but so long as it is prepared well most tea will suffice. Assuming the cognitive discussion went well enough. Oh and did warn her not to try and read Stella's mind, didn't need that acting up while at the Market either."

Keith sighed a moment as he considered his dilemma and how to best handle the entire thing. "I do have a request for some advice if you don't mind though. Any tips for calming the mond while awaiting a response of a potential date?"
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-29 at 09:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

OldWizardGuy

Keith raised an eyebrow and sighed when John explained most of it to him about his talk with Emi. "Guess that saves me a short meeting then. Though would have been nice to know on the way. Saves the awkwardness of having to tell her about Sid too." Keith thought for a second and his face about deadpanned. "That might make a few things difficult. She's generally good at keepin' things under wraps, like this, but I may be hearin' about it later." His face read of anxiety at having to explain this to Kylie.

At John's whisper, Keith nodded. "I'll help with what I can, but we got a lot of plannin' for tonight's mission too. I'd say probably the sooner the better. Never know how things can turn out and that's going to be rough either way. There do be dragons involved in this situation and history." He sighed. "Hopefully if she does tell them she does tell them why I had to keep it to a half truth this morning."
    John nodded. “I kept it to relatively broad outlines with Emi. She knows Sidney’s mind has been tampered with, that she was with Ryker in the Rooks, and that she’s a good person who needs her help.” He grinned and glanced toward Ryker. “The thought of you owing her one did have some appeal, though.

“She mentioned that you had provided her with some information about the team here,” John continued, turning back to Keith. “She seemed comfortable enough with what she knows.”

Keith tilts his head at John's question about Emi's snack and tea preferences. "John, that is one hell if a non-sequitur. Wait.... oh crap did you? **** I better tell Grayson he missed his shot." Keith slaps his forehead. He thought John was a mind reader as well so he was purposely vague. "Guess that answers that. Well, there be dragons and possibly flying busses in our futures then John." Keith takes a deep breath. "Then again, guess the other worse thing is we get burned at the stake. I'm weighin' my options on those."

"Alrighty then. She does have a preference for sweet. As for tea, I'm not entirely certain. I know she does like some of the expensive stuff, but so long as it is prepared well most tea will suffice. Assuming the cognitive discussion went well enough. Oh and did warn her not to try and read Stella's mind, didn't need that acting up while at the Market either."

Keith sighed a moment as he considered his dilemma and how to best handle the entire thing. "I do have a request for some advice if you don't mind though. Any tips for calming the mond while awaiting a response of a potential date?"
    “Wait, can we back up a second before we get into a discussion of comparative meditative techniques and go over that bit about dragons, flying busses, and being burned at the stake. It sounds like there are some details I should know about before she comes to high tea tomorrow.”

Indeed, while the bus could be considered a variation on the theme of her family dropping a car on his head, the thought of a dragon or a pitchfork-wielding mob had not been part of his initial mental list of concerns.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-04-29 at 10:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Living Room
    Ryker rolls his eyes and crosses his arms as he falls back onto the cushions of the couch. “Of course it does.” He sighs. “But I’d do anything for Sid, even if it means owning a favor to some ridiculously powerful psychic, who’s teammate’s ribs I broke two years ago. What could she possibly want from me?” He asks, voice dripping with sarcasm.

Keith tilts his head at John's question about Emi's snack and tea preferences. "John, that is one hell if a non-sequitur. Wait.... oh crap did you? **** I better tell Grayson he missed his shot."
    He smirks, looking over at Keith. “Did that dweeb think he ever had a shot with a girl that looks like that?”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-29 at 10:58 PM.